Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Hustle-grinding hard enough (asking Joyce for cash) to pay my own hotel bill on the first night was one of my prouder moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

RudeCat posted:

I felt so drat bad about those hubcaps.

Aren't those "commandeered" hubcaps? Like, they were never his in the first place.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Use the kind green ape pen! You monsters!!!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

RudeCat posted:

I felt so drat bad about those hubcaps.

Those hubcaps turned my entire game around. I had been dead set on being a terrible disaster of a cop and stealing the boots and generally being awful, and then Kim sold his hubcaps to pay my bill and told me "You did a good job" during the briefing at the end of the first day. I went down after he went to bed to steal the boots and then I just stood there in front of the freezer and decided that I just couldn't do it to him, and after that I did my absolute best not to be a miserable trash fire of a human being because I couldn't let Kim down like that.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Yeah, that's really close to my experience as well, the entire sequence is incredible even if, as mentioned, the hubcaps are "confiscated".

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Fister Roboto posted:

not an empty quote

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Khizan posted:

Those hubcaps turned my entire game around. I had been dead set on being a terrible disaster of a cop and stealing the boots and generally being awful, and then Kim sold his hubcaps to pay my bill and told me "You did a good job" during the briefing at the end of the first day. I went down after he went to bed to steal the boots and then I just stood there in front of the freezer and decided that I just couldn't do it to him, and after that I did my absolute best not to be a miserable trash fire of a human being because I couldn't let Kim down like that.

I had to trudge down and sell them at like 12:30am because I'd just cut the drat body down and done an autopsy, then the hotel key wouldn't work.

I didn't enjoy this game when I got it but I played the full first day today and enjoyed it a lot. I think starting again with Inland Empire is making a difference as I feel like I'm playing a down and out Agent Cooper much more than a patently destitute loser.

E: I hate 2d6 still, but what are you going to do. I did three >80% rolls and three <10% rolls, failed all the high chance and passed the low. Was very impressed when I had a 7% chance to approach the stinky body and pulled it off.

JBP fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 15, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do like that they have the shop open all night for a reason; that the shopkeeper is on an insomnia-causing drug.

Pyrholidon is interesting, seems implied to be something similar to LSD in effects?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Khizan posted:

I paid my own bill AND got the boots so maybe if you weren't a piece of poo poo you and Kim could both have nice things :smugbert:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do like that they have the shop open all night for a reason; that the shopkeeper is on an insomnia-causing drug.

Pyrholidon is interesting, seems implied to be something similar to LSD in effects?

It's based on Soviet anti-radiation drugs

So if you can dig up any info on what those were like, you'd probably know

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I remember ZA\UM posting a thing advertising the Guerrilla Gaming Convention or whatever it's called. Have they announced anything yet? I need more new Disco Hotness.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

chaosapiant posted:

I remember ZA\UM posting a thing advertising the Guerrilla Gaming Convention or whatever it's called. Have they announced anything yet? I need more new Disco Hotness.

They announced Disco Elysium coming to the Epic Game Store lol

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

A new trailer for Epic Store:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrz-T1pJfcs

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Played the demo for that disco-like that got reccomend upthread, Clam Man 2. It's very much wearing its influences on its sleve, and while it doesn't nail the heights of DE it still manages to be pretty charming.

I'll probably buy the whole game when it comes out, and I'm very much excited for more games coming out that take their cues from DE.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tylana posted:

Kim is just so wonderfully done and balanced. I can forgive not getting to roll with Lena if the trade-off is that much polish on the one party member.

Still want to roll with Lena.

I just finished my first playthrough, so I've been diving into spoilers and alternative paths more freely. Was kinda mind-blown learning that you can end up doing the entire final island sequence with Cuno as your partner instead of Kim, which... obviously doesn't go as well. But like who tf would make the kind of choices leading to that?? Kim owns.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Brosnan posted:

I just finished my first playthrough, so I've been diving into spoilers and alternative paths more freely. Was kinda mind-blown learning that you can end up doing the entire final island sequence with Cuno as your partner instead of Kim, which... obviously doesn't go as well. But like who tf would make the kind of choices leading to that?? Kim owns.

If you want Kim to not be shot you have to pass a skill check

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Brosnan posted:

I always feel like I'm playing this game wrong and missing things.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

that happened to me and it was awesome. kim survives anyway. ain't gonna savescum a lovely authority roll like a COWARD

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I was completely unprepared for the Tribunal. Didn't get my gun back, didn't have any T-500 armor, didn't have the Spirit Bomb, and while I did have "Kim *really* trusts you", my authority score was so low it didn't matter. The merc leader survived, and I got everyone but two of the Hardy Boys killed. It was extremely not disco.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the most important part is what you chose to say when you're shot and bleeding out

that was definitely the emotional climax of the scene for me.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

JustaDamnFool posted:

Played the demo for that disco-like that got reccomend upthread, Clam Man 2. It's very much wearing its influences on its sleve, and while it doesn't nail the heights of DE it still manages to be pretty charming.
When the game warned you about "clapter" and then gave you the science joke, I really thought they'd go somewhere interesting and brave. Of course not.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Doc Hawkins posted:

the most important part is what you chose to say when you're shot and bleeding out

that was definitely the emotional climax of the scene for me.

That part is nuts. I still can't believe you get the ability to recontextualize the entire game up to that point, and it's OPTIONAL. New game plus is a dialogue option in the last quarter of the game, yet the way you play NG+ from the beginning by already knowing the option is coming.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It does seem a logical extension of Inland Empire is seeing the fourth wall.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Wait, what is the option?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

It's based on Soviet anti-radiation drugs

So if you can dig up any info on what those were like, you'd probably know

I tried Taren and while it won't let you sleep also makes you so confused and forgetful, there is no way you could run a shop.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Sekenr posted:

I tried Taren and while it won't let you sleep also makes you so confused and forgetful, there is no way you could run a shop.

Sounds like someone who hasn't tried it enough!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sekenr posted:

Have you never met a small business owner?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Qwertycoatl posted:

If you want Kim to not be shot you have to pass a skill check

Ahhh, that makes sense.

Fister Roboto posted:

I was completely unprepared for the Tribunal. Didn't get my gun back, didn't have any T-500 armor, didn't have the Spirit Bomb, and while I did have "Kim *really* trusts you", my authority score was so low it didn't matter. The merc leader survived, and I got everyone but two of the Hardy Boys killed. It was extremely not disco.

I was curious what the worst-case outcome from that scenario could be. I had my gun, full armor (sans helmet until the end), spirit bomb, and fairly high authority, but I was still pretty tight-butthole the whole time, and wasn't so sure that it all went as well as it could have. A couple of the Hardy boys still died in mine. What happens if you don't have the armor? The game made it seem like that was the only reason I wasn't dead.

Also, in my initial run through the ending sequence of the game, I didn't realize that passing the check against the phasmid is incredibly important to contextualizing a big part of the plot, and my Electrochemistry score was in the toilet. I spent a ton of time savescumming it before realizing that it's literally an impossible check, even with a 6-6 roll, if you don't still have the pheromones on you. So I had to edit the save file to do it, and now I really wish I'd been able to see that content when I first finished it.

Related: I also never discovered the final interaction with Joyce where she reveals who she is. D'oh.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Brosnan posted:

Also, in my initial run through the ending sequence of the game, I didn't realize that passing the check against the phasmid is incredibly important to contextualizing a big part of the plot, and my Electrochemistry score was in the toilet. I spent a ton of time savescumming it before realizing that it's literally an impossible check, even with a 6-6 roll, if you don't still have the pheromones on you. So I had to edit the save file to do it, and now I really wish I'd been able to see that content when I first finished it.

ohhhhh. i had that experience but my Electrochemistry was very high. at first i thought it was a hilarious coincidence to get a 3% chance of failure at the one crucial time, but i accepted that when you can't touch to or get a picture of the phasmid, but you know it does exist, but they either have the ability to believe you in their hearts that there is magic yet unknown in the world or not, that has a kind of tragic beauty of its own. then, yes, after finishing the entire game, i was curious and reloaded to retry, but it kept failing 100% of the time,, and then i thought it was hard-coded to betray your trust in the game's systems just one time, to send a message to people who, after the entirety of the game, still find themselves thinking they can get the ~best ending~ somehow. then i looked online and found out other people were not locked into it the same way, and the only theory i could come up with was it happened to me because i didn't take a nap before talking to the deserter.

i did accept the pheromones, what way is there to "lose" them?

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 17, 2020

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Brosnan posted:

Related: I also never discovered the final interaction with Joyce where she reveals who she is. D'oh.

what interaction is that? she'll tell you she's an ultra (and the player is obligated to choose "Dios mio! A LIBERAL!"), plus the chats about the pale. what else is there?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Brosnan posted:

What happens if you don't have the armor? The game made it seem like that was the only reason I wasn't dead.

IIRC Harry can dodge the first bullet if his skills are sufficient enough for that, even without armor. This happened on both of my playthroughs (one wearing armor, one not) so i've never seen what happens if Harry does get shot 2 times lol

Also (again IIRC) there is an interesting detail in that the damage from the bullet that takes Harry down is a fair bit more severe if you try to actually dodge it (via the impossible skill check) rather than face your fate.

e:

World War Mammories posted:

what interaction is that? she'll tell you she's an ultra (and the player is obligated to choose "Dios mio! A LIBERAL!"), plus the chats about the pale. what else is there?

!!!Joyce spoiler alert, obviously!!!
I assume they refer to the fact that Joyce is super high up in the Wild Pines hierarchy, as in one of the actual directors of the company, and she has the power to make a lot of calls on what the company will do in regards to the whole port strike situation

nurmie fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 17, 2020

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Doc Hawkins posted:

ohhhhh. i had that experience but my Electrochemistry was very high. at first i thought it was a hilarious coincidence to get a 3% chance of failure at the one crucial time, but i accepted that when you can't touch to or get a picture of the phasmid, but you know it does exist, but they either have the ability to believe you in their hearts that there is magic yet unknown in the world or not, that has a kind of tragic beauty of its own. then, yes, after finishing the entire game, i was curious and reloaded to retry, but it kept failing 100% of the time,, and then i thought it was hard-coded to betray your trust in the game's systems just one time, to send a message to people who, after the entirety of the game, still find themselves thinking they can get the ~best ending~ somehow. then i looked online and found out other people were not locked into it the same way, and the only theory i could come up with was it happened to me because i didn't take a nap before talking to the deserter.

You can talk to the phasmid even if you didn't nap. I know because I did that. I also know that you can nap on your way back out.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Doc Hawkins posted:

I think if you bathe at any point in the game after receiving them, you won't have them on you anymore. There's also a difference in check modifiers between having pheromones on and "laying them on thick," which I think is a choice you get back when they're first offered to you. Have you gotten to see the conversation with the phasmid yet?

World War Mammories posted:

She's not a representative for Wild Pines; she is one of its directors. Evrart is trying to take over the harbor on behalf of the union to start a class war, and Joyce asks for your take in a way that basically shapes how all the political tension in Revachol is expected to manifest.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Brosnan posted:

I think if you bathe at any point in the game after receiving them, you won't have them on you anymore. There's also a difference in check modifiers between having pheromones on and "laying them on thick," which I think is a choice you get back when they're first offered to you. Have you gotten to see the conversation with the phasmid yet?

Nope! Looking forward to it!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Ragnar34 posted:

That part is nuts. I still can't believe you get the ability to recontextualize the entire game up to that point, and it's OPTIONAL. New game plus is a dialogue option in the last quarter of the game, yet the way you play NG+ from the beginning by already knowing the option is coming.

I’m assuming you’re talking about the ability to tell Kim that you were lying about losing your memory and faking it the whole time? I just loaded and it’s there, but it doesn’t seem to do anything beyond that. I didn’t play to the end after checking it out to see if there’s anything beyond making that statement.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Brosnan posted:

She's not a representative for Wild Pines; she is one of its directors. Evrart is trying to take over the harbor on behalf of the union to start a class war, and Joyce asks for your take in a way that basically shapes how all the political tension in Revachol is expected to manifest.

I feel like the second sentence is her whole raison d'etre, but that first part is interesting. do you know what it takes to get this chat?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I've always succeeded in having the lovely conversation with the giant bug but this time I failed. Can't wait to see how the jerks at the precinct respond to my story.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Brosnan posted:

Ahhh, that makes sense.

I was curious what the worst-case outcome from that scenario could be. I had my gun, full armor (sans helmet until the end), spirit bomb, and fairly high authority, but I was still pretty tight-butthole the whole time, and wasn't so sure that it all went as well as it could have. A couple of the Hardy boys still died in mine. What happens if you don't have the armor? The game made it seem like that was the only reason I wasn't dead.

There's a good reddit thread on the possible outcomes: https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/ed75o2/spoilers_possible_outcomes_from_the_tribunal/ (spoilers obviously, probably also don't read it if you don't want the climax dissected and laid bare)

Glen, Angus, and Theo always get killed; Alain and Eugene always survive; Elizabeth, Titus, and Shanky can be killed or survive depending on your dialogue choices and skill checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Fister Roboto posted:

Glen, Angus, and Theo always get killed; Alain and Eugene always survive; Elizabeth, Titus, and Shanky can be killed or survive depending on your dialogue choices and skill checks.

Feels important to me to remind that Ellis' / (currently) Raul's merc gang has all the chances of either geting killed or busting it out and living to fight/pillage/rape another day.