Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Resting Lich Face posted:

I assumed the menu is digital but ordering is still not.

OK, I guess that... kinda makes sense? Still, just xerox some flimsy menus on copy paper for old farts like me then. Or have a big chalkboard menu (especially since places are going to smaller menus), idk. Maybe my brain's on political overdrive with everything happening, but making your customer have to have a smartphone to look at a menu sounds classist af.

Kick it old school NY diner-style I saw growing up in the 80's, print your menu as the placemat. Boom, problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
...How many restaurants have a xerox machine, though?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

YggiDee posted:

...How many restaurants have a xerox machine, though?

Based on my experience as a waiter, most of them.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Maybe my brain's on political overdrive with everything happening, but making your customer have to have a smartphone to look at a menu sounds classist af.

It's a thing I struggle with sometimes. A lot of environmentally friendly practices are classist af.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you can keep the menu to a single page (double sided if you have to), laminating it and dunking it in a sani bucket between every customer doesn't seem like the worst hassle..

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just have one thing available at a time. Yell it at the customer when they enter, they can take it or leave it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What if, and I know this sounds crazy, a chalkboard

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

What if, and I know this sounds crazy, a chalkboard

Having worked in places with chalkboards, about half of America suffers from some sort of congenetil disease that leaves them incapable of reading words written on one.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I know people are luddites but QR codes are super well supported by smartphones these days. Any several years old smartphone will recognize them just by opening the built-in camera app and pointing it at the code. That's all you need to do it; it'll give you the link to tap automatically.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Maybe it's because I'm an old feeb, but QR menus sound like they'd be a nightmare for FOH and BOH both.

"Here's your apps, enjoy!"
"I DIDN'T ORDER THESE POTATO SKINS, I ORDERED JALAPENO POPPERS!"
"Oh, sorry sir, but your order here shows ---"
"WELL I CLICKED THE WRONG THING! MAKE IT RIGHT!"
[tips like poo poo because of something the server had no control over]

or:
FOH: "Can y'all make this order again? They asked for no onions, but didn't put it in the app."
BOH: [ready to stab everyone with a dull knife]

I mean, we got this kind of poo poo all the time in the last place I worked in the Before Times, with DoorDash. This sounds like a fresh new hell I want nothing to do with.

Those kinds of people would confirm 10x times they're sure that's how they want it and still scream over it being wrong because that wasn't what they wanted.

see: "I ordered a steak medium rare and when they sent it out it was still pink so I sent it back 0/5stars"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Skwirl posted:

If you can keep the menu to a single page (double sided if you have to), laminating it and dunking it in a sani bucket between every customer doesn't seem like the worst hassle..

:hmmyes: That's what I'm thinking. Not this "you must have a functioning cellphone to order" BS.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Whatever fraction it is of places that have a copier, the fraction of places that have a laminator is smaller.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FFT posted:

Whatever fraction it is of places that have a copier, the fraction of places that have a laminator is smaller.

If restaurants are open FedexKinkos or whatever the gently caress is open.

Every restaurant has a printer though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Kick it old school NY diner-style I saw growing up in the 80's, print your menu as the placemat. Boom, problem solved.

My favorite diner growing up had the cocktail menu on it, with cocktail recipes. I knew how to make a B-52 at the age of 6.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

:hmmyes: That's what I'm thinking. Not this "you must have a functioning cellphone to order" BS.

It's pretty easy and less work for most people. The majority of people going to these places will have a phone of some kind. For the people who don't, a standard menu-at-the-door that you don't touch will be fine. I can imagine the QR code will be less overall to change and clean for a majority of places.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
the owner of a place I frequent was lamenting the laminated menu, saying it's just the tackiest most tawdry thing lol

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Not as tacky as a printed menu with spilled food on it. Too common and super gross.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
lol if you eat anywhere that doesn't have hand-calligraphed parchment presented on goosedown that you may glance at but never touch

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Individual backlit touch screens IMO

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah sounds good and pretty cheap too

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Phil Moscowitz posted:

LOL if you don't just have interactive touchscreen tables with the menu programmed in

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Just have the menu under a layer of clear epoxy on each tabletop, and also never update your menu or pricing.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

One of my favorite spots just has a .menu webpage with their menu and no printed copies at all, they'll bring an iPad over if you need a device. They really use the concept well making it easy to get lots of information about the food/cocktails/etc.

That said, as someone who has been working to stop using my phone during meals I hate it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Here’s a story just to lighten the mood. When I was a stupid rear end 19 year old waiter 20 years ago in a 400 top tourist volume “upscale” restaurant, I had something to ask the line about a ticket or whatever. I don’t even remember.

I walked into the kitchen, past the expo and at the edge of the line, which was the central part of the kitchen. From this spot you could access the walk ins, the prep area on your way to the trash, the line, and the dish pit. I started talking to the line cook and he glanced at the kitchen manager who glared at me with the most disdainful look, then turned to the GM who was standing at the pantry and said, “Garfield [lol yes the GM was named Garfield], tell your servers the next time one of them comes across my line I’m going to fire them on the spot.”

I never talked directly to the line again.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I never talked directly to the line again.

Good lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yep hahaha

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yeah that was for your, and everyone else around's, safety. Don't be in a place around hot and sharp things where you're not expected, don't walk past the person whose entire job it is to be the liason between the FOH and the BOH to go talk to the BOH.

Here's a question to darken the mood, since I'm getting into it with a bunch of people in a local facebook group (gently caress why am I even still on that poo poo), I'd like to hear some industry goon opinions. How do you feel about something like this being on a menu?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

What about underage employees or people who don't drink? What about actually paying your staff a living wage instead of giving them each a shift beer?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
My first thought was 'holy poo poo, where can you get a round of beers for 6 bucks'.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

My first thought was 'holy poo poo, where can you get a round of beers for 6 bucks'.

Restaurant by me that does it just pools all the funds and sends someone to the nearest Walgreens at the end of the night for a couple 30-racks or bottles of Jameson.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Naelyan posted:

Yeah that was for your, and everyone else around's, safety. Don't be in a place around hot and sharp things where you're not expected, don't walk past the person whose entire job it is to be the liason between the FOH and the BOH to go talk to the BOH.

Here's a question to darken the mood, since I'm getting into it with a bunch of people in a local facebook group (gently caress why am I even still on that poo poo), I'd like to hear some industry goon opinions. How do you feel about something like this being on a menu?

Re your first point, 100% correct of course, and of course the FOH training never bothered touching on the kitchen or anything else beyond “do you have a felony? No? Cool”

Re your second point since I’ve not been in the industry for 20 years I’ll let others say what they think but I would add that for sure if I saw it, though I wish there were some way to tip BOH directly so they can buy their own beers.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Re your second point since I’ve not been in the industry for 20 years I’ll let others say what they think but I would add that for sure if I saw it, though I wish there were some way to tip BOH directly so they can buy their own beers.

Most places will let you do just that. Tell your server you would like to send a tip separately to the cooks and there is a real possibility the server won’t just pocket it for themselves!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Canuckistan posted:

just have 1 person on the line

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Menus, like recipes, should be communicated solely through spoken verse.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=759nrt-4gSk

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Naelyan posted:

Who is that person?

A similar thing happened to me on my first week working IT at private hanger at the airport. I walked out of the hanger to talk to someone outside without paying attention to a line painted on the ground, and one of the managers immediately took me back inside and had a talk with my boss. Apparently my onboarding orientation was lax and didn't mention the fact beyond that line was airport property and required security clearance. As soon as I stepped outside that line I was open to a $1000 fine personally and a $10000 fine for the company.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

Who is that person?

The expo

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
The 2 places I've worked at didn't have an expo. Occasionally the BOH manager would do it but generally it was just chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Resting Lich Face posted:

The 2 places I've worked at didn't have an expo. Occasionally the BOH manager would do it but generally it was just chaos.

but you repeat yrself