Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

MF_James posted:

Found this out the other day, Microsoft is finally creating a package mananger, 2 decades late, but at least they're doing it.

It's in preview now: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-package-manager-preview/

they were ‘heavily inspired’ by appget which the developer wrote a pissy blog post about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PCjr sidecar posted:

they were ‘heavily inspired’ by appget which the developer wrote a pissy blog post about

Microsoft copying code for their own products is as old as time.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Honestly, the best experience I've had with wireless screen sharing in meetings is using whatever conferencing software you're using (Teams, Zoom, Webex, etc.) and just joining the meeting from your laptop and sharing the screen. Obviously this requires that your rooms already have the hardware present to join the conference room to your conferencing software directly, but I think that's becoming more and more common.

Zoom Rooms is pretty much the best experience in this regard. It Just loving Works - you can open your laptop, hit "Share Screen" in the zoom client and it will automatically figure out which room you're in and cast to the right room without having to enter any meeting details. Also supports Airplay if your guests are used to that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The way Ansible can silently install and use chocolatey on Windows is loving great. We have a part of our stack that only runs on Windows and we finally have an Ansible routine that allows me to deploy with without having to log in. It doesn't use chocolatey at all but I tested out installing openjdk with it and it was flawless in getting it installed.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

MF_James posted:

Found this out the other day, Microsoft is finally creating a package mananger, 2 decades late, but at least they're doing it.

It's in preview now: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-package-manager-preview/

How many of those have they made now without actually using them? Even their own products use wildly divergent packaging mechanisms. There's plain MSI (the most sane option), nuget (trash fire), chocolatey (nuget-derived trash fire), whatever the gently caress it is that Visual Studio, MSSQL, Office are using (each a different implementation of a trash fire), appx packages (guess what I think of those), the store trash fire, and the ecosystem (more like compost) of third-party executable installers (also on fire).

Oh, I forgot DISM. Everyone forgets DISM.

And now they are adding another one to feed the flames, I guess?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Personally I'm waiting for MSXI for AppAttach.

(but seriously those are installer formats where this is an installer catalog)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Not all of them are. You can't really disconnect a packaging format from the front end that does dependency resolution, fetching, etc.

Imagine trying to build a package manager using a dozen different package file formats, many of them not even idempotent or containing any dependency metadata. Chocolatey is like that and it's finicky garbage.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've been using chocolately for years in MDT setups for quick things like chrome, firefox, etc. It works well enough in that scenario.

When I first saw the link I was excited thinking there was an update to Microsoft Orca...

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Well, there is superorca…

It's crazy though how one of the first package formats they made was fairly sane, and everything afterwards just got dumber and dumber.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
We had some weird thing at my last MSP job that could silently fire ninite jobs on target machines that was kinda neat. No one would explain to me how it worked though.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

We had some weird thing at my last MSP job that could silently fire ninite jobs on target machines that was kinda neat. No one would explain to me how it worked though.

I left behind MDT/SCCM years ago but vageuly remember Ninite as well. From what I remember it was just smart people figuring out silent install parameters for a handful of programs.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Yeah, approach in the MS ecosystem isn't "we have a package format including dependency metadata, and a package manager front end that fetches and resolves dependencies", but instead several competing wrappers around proprietary executable installer formats. All buggy as gently caress.

It's utterly , fundamentally, broken.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Bad code alert :nws:

I wrote a wrapper to get an MSSQL installer into chocolatey for a proprietary software package that requires a lot of work arounds and it's a slow and painful and bad and I hate it.

code:
foreach ($i in 1..3) {
    try {
        Install-ChocolateyInstallPackage @packageArgs
        break
    }
    catch {
        if ($env:ChocolateyExitCode -eq 3010) {
            # This exit code indicates that the computer needs a restart. It is not fatal
            break
        }
        if ($env:ChocolateyExitCode -eq -1) {
            Write-Warning "Setup failed with exit code -1. This may be CasPol.exe failing, but it may resolve itself on the third try. This is try $i/3..."
        }
        if ($i -eq 3) {
            Write-Warning "Last try failed. You are on your own."
            throw $_
        }
    }
}

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sickening posted:

Microsoft copying code for their own products is as old as time.

Mmmmmm, yeahbut....in this case they told him they wanted to hire him because of his work and went through a long interview process with him, during which time he of course told them how it all worked. Then they ghosted him, then 6 months later he finds out they're making their own package manager which mysteriously does things exactly the same way his did.

It's one thing to copy his work, it's another to invite him to give them all the information on the pretext of a job interview and then gently caress him over both by not giving him a job and copying the work. That's real lovely.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Mmmmmm, yeahbut....in this case they told him they wanted to hire him because of his work and went through a long interview process with him, during which time he of course told them how it all worked. Then they ghosted him, then 6 months later he finds out they're making their own package manager which mysteriously does things exactly the same way his did.

It's one thing to copy his work, it's another to invite him to give them all the information on the pretext of a job interview and then gently caress him over both by not giving him a job and copying the work. That's real lovely.

I bet they didn't even pay for his travel.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

I bet they didn't even pay for his travel.

https://keivan.io/the-day-appget-died/

They didnt.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I am shocked I tell you. The guy walked them through the product he made on his own dime only for them to steal it and sell it to their customers. That is the Microsoft that I know.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That's wild.

I know of plenty of people that have been flown out to Redmond then wined and dined for ridiculous two day interview trips that were straight out of college. Microsoft isn't the only employer that does this either.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not even remotely defending Microsoft here but that doesn't read to me like Microsoft necessarily stiffed him for travel.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oh a guy named Internet Explorer not defending Microsoft suuuuure.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Speaking of IE, our marketing team rolled out a complete redesign of our sharepoint online portal this weekend. Whatever they did with the widgets, half of the page is completely broken in IE. Not that I care but cmon guys.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Like... all the guy wanted was a job? Just give him a loving job. He's clearly and obviously capable. It's not like Microsoft can't loving afford it. And then you don't have to spend your time reverse-engineering his poo poo, just ask him what he would do.

This just seems like evil for evil's sake.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

maybe some product manager got really jelly of this guy's work and wanted to get the credit himself

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We'll fly people out for three days, but that's at the senior scientist level on up. The first day is spent with a realtor looking at options and neighborhoods wherever we have a commuter bus running. Which is most of the Greater Bay Area to a radius of about 35-55 miles depending on the direction. Then you give a presentation on your specialty and spend two days talking yourself up and letting about 20 people get to know you.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Well that was truly lovely of Microsoft

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

devmd01 posted:

Speaking of IE, our marketing team rolled out a complete redesign of our sharepoint online portal this weekend. Whatever they did with the widgets, half of the page is completely broken in IE. Not that I care but cmon guys.
How's this a bad thing? Assuming it works in browsers that actually matter, being broken in IE means it's probably done right without any nonsense hacks to work around IE's suckage.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone here ever done any technical training as their role? Not just an ad hoc thing.

I'm sitting in an online class for SCCM and thinking it'd probably be a good use of my skills. I've always been good at explaining IT concepts to people. I doubt I'd ever get into it, but it's something worth thinking about if the need for a career pivot arises.

I have no conception of the pay range. I'd assume it's extremely wide.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

IE is no longer a browser, it is a compatibility tool.

For the package manager guy, that sucks and is super lovely of microsoft.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thanatosian posted:

Like... all the guy wanted was a job? Just give him a loving job. He's clearly and obviously capable. It's not like Microsoft can't loving afford it. And then you don't have to spend your time reverse-engineering his poo poo, just ask him what he would do.

This just seems like evil for evil's sake.

He didn't even want that - he just wanted credit for the idea/inspiration. His app was Open Source, and the idea was not patented, neither of which he regrets, he says.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
We've stopped supporting IE and now tell people to use a modern browser. We still get tickets of "It works in everything but IE11" but this is Enterprise tech so most places still need to run IE11 in compatibility mode to support some legacy app that uses IE6 features. Its fun to sit in on those meetings.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Has anyone here ever done any technical training as their role? Not just an ad hoc thing.

I'm sitting in an online class for SCCM and thinking it'd probably be a good use of my skills. I've always been good at explaining IT concepts to people. I doubt I'd ever get into it, but it's something worth thinking about if the need for a career pivot arises.

I do and its not a requirement but does check off a lot of boxes when it comes time for my annual review. In fact, my team is considering that if you take training, you also have to come back and give a knowledge share session to the rest of the team. I believe management looking to try this as a way to cut down on the amount of class time they have to pay for but to also ensure those attending training are not just going though the motions of being off the queue for 3-4 days. The former is probably more like it from what I've seen anyway.

I have no issue speaking to a crowd of 2 or 2,000 but I know that others don't like to.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bonzo posted:

We've stopped supporting IE and now tell people to use a modern browser. We still get tickets of "It works in everything but IE11" but this is Enterprise tech so most places still need to run IE11 in compatibility mode to support some legacy app that uses IE6 features. Its fun to sit in on those meetings.

At least it "should" be easy to just tell people to use Edge now.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I was advised against it. If you can train a technology super well then you can make a lot more money utilizing it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Has anyone here ever done any technical training as their role?

Yes, I’ve run a few workshops but it wasn’t much more than a basic product demonstration.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I worked with a really gifted help desk tech back in the day that got a technical training position created pretty much just for him.

Unfortunately it seemed like he ended up doing training about 20% of the time, and executive valet support and special unicorn projects for them the rest of the time. He enjoyed it and they paid him well so in the end it worked out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bonzo posted:

I feel your pain, my friend.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It’ll be so much easier when enterprise Edge rolls out. I don’t know the exact term but IE is built-in into the application. If you open an older website, it’s automatically detected and opens a tab in Edge as a special IE tab.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Gabriel S. posted:

It’ll be so much easier when enterprise Edge rolls out. I don’t know the exact term but IE is built-in into the application. If you open an older website, it’s automatically detected and opens a tab in Edge as a special IE tab.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode

we'll be rolling out New Edge soon with this for websites that still need IE - and also finally moving away from using wpad in tyool 2020

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015
Still feel like old sales programs will need the old IE to actually run. Looking at you Sage...

I just hope it's an update and I wont have to deal with any extra configs when new enterprise Edge rolls out

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Internet Explorer will never truly go away. The apps will just run in maintenance mode with a small under heard of vendor doing support. Similar to AS/400s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gabriel S. posted:

Internet Explorer will never truly go away.

He'll never stop posting