Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BiggerBoat posted:

Didn't the guy who played Vito catch a ton of poo poo for trying to monetize his role and break large on the set or whatever? I listen to some Philadelphia sports talk from time to time and one of the hosts I think had an on air feud with him for kinda being a commercially driven rear end in a top hat of sorts.

Then again, I can't imagine producers lining up to cast "Vito" in a ton of roles either so maybe those dudes honestly need the money and the whole thing is just a drag. I don't pretend to know but it's gotta be tough or a semi drag for some of these dudes who are totally cemented career wise in a role they played 20 years ago.

I know. Cry me a river and all but still.

From memory he was very aggressive about pushing for a bigger role on the show, which to be fair isn't the worst thing in the world to want but it seems a lot of people took exception to the way he went about it. The bigger issue seems to have been that after Gandolfini died, he made out that they were much closer friends than they really were and other castmembers were pissed off at what they felt was him trying to exploit the death for his own gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Check his IMDb; Vincent Pastore has spent the past two decades showing up in anything and everything he can to portray "Big Pussy With The Serial Numbers Filed Off"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Laterite posted:

Check his IMDb; Vincent Pastore has spent the past two decades showing up in anything and everything he can to portray "Big Pussy With The Serial Numbers Filed Off"

Trip report: I went to Vincentpastore.com

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/jckybrwn/status/1270758449329176580

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BiggerBoat posted:

"Issues"?

Beyond not being into it you mean or...?

Just curious.

I guess that was a strange way of phrasing it, just that they were the only people that seemed like assholes out of something like seventy people from the show.

And yeah, Joseph Gannascoli was specifically not invited to the con, the only person besides Lilo Brancato Jr. that we know of. And he was in New Jersey at the same time because he ended up shooting an episode of Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back with Vincent Pastore.

My friend that I attended the con with, he works at a food packing plant on Long Island. They've done business with Steve Schirripa in the past and currently bottle Pastore's line. Gannascoli met with them a few years ago and he was such an arrogant prick that they didn't do business with him.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

lmao at the frozen and terminator paintings. Looks like the type of thing you see on the side of a fairground ride.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I guess that was a strange way of phrasing it, just that they were the only people that seemed like assholes out of something like seventy people from the show.

And yeah, Joseph Gannascoli was specifically not invited to the con, the only person besides Lilo Brancato Jr. that we know of. And he was in New Jersey at the same time because he ended up shooting an episode of Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back with Vincent Pastore.

My friend that I attended the con with, he works at a food packing plant on Long Island. They've done business with Steve Schirripa in the past and currently bottle Pastore's line. Gannascoli met with them a few years ago and he was such an arrogant prick that they didn't do business with him.

That's cool. Thanks for clarifying anyway. Glad you had fun and thanks for sharing the photos and everything.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
so i didn't watch Sopranos until like 2016, and I really watched it like an esteemed drama, thought the characters were "cool"

re-watching it I find myself laughing at pretty much every scene, think all of Tony's crew and the other crews are just tremendous douchebags and glad when they get killed

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

20 Blunts posted:

so i didn't watch Sopranos until like 2016, and I really watched it like an esteemed drama, thought the characters were "cool"

re-watching it I find myself laughing at pretty much every scene, think all of Tony's crew and the other crews are just tremendous douchebags and glad when they get killed

They do a really good job of making you root for these motherfuckers and then pull the rug out from under you by showing us what assholes they are. Chris beating the poo poo out of Ade (twice) and nearly killing her comes immediately to mind, along with that "damaged goods" comment he made. Agree that the show succeeds in being funny and dramatic at the same time. The Wire is pretty good at this too.

None of the characters on any of these shows are above reproach or even what I'd call "good people". Breaking Bad is like this as well. Showing everyone as flawed but still somewhere on the spectrum of "good and evil" makes for good writing and good TV. Makes the characters seem more real somehow.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
One of the best examples of such a thing is when they realized that people really started to like Benny, so then they had him gently caress over Artie (who Tony has protected forever since childhood) and cheat on his pregnant wife with the newest hostess of Vesuvio’s.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Benny was a twerp. Who could've liked him?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I have no clue how I didn't hear of this last year but this evening I got a push notification from People magazine of all things - uhh I guess there was a round-table thing with David Chase awhile ago and :siren:13 year old spoilers:siren: he accidentally revealed Tony was murdered in the final scene of the series

Article: https://apple.news/AFTEMOjt4Q_qNolm_paVVYQ

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

20 Blunts posted:

The Sopranos is one of the few shows that successfully and credibly portrays people who are dumb in the ways real people are dumb.

Maybe the only show.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I've been watching Law & Order seasons 6-9 over the quarantine and it's kind of mindboggling how many actors from the Sopranos show up.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 13, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sticksy posted:

there was a round-table thing with David Chase awhile ago

It has been brought up a few times in-thread, Chase went on to say in the same interview (and in later ones) that he very deliberately left it up to viewer interpretation, and that there isn't any definitive answer to be had on whether Tony died or not and that it also isn't the point of the scene TO have a definitive answer.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I've been watching Law & Order seasons 6-9 over the quarantine and it's kind of mindboggling how many actors from the Sopranos show up.

The New York City acting scene hugely benefited from Law & Order (and all the spin-offs) as well as HBO. Most stuff was either shot on location or at Silvercup Studios in Queens, so you had a lot of "Hey, thanks for letting me read for this, I also know this guy that would be perfect for this other part..."

EDIT: It still blows my mind that in 1999 Edie Falco was a CO on Oz that didn't take any poo poo at the same time she was Carmela on the Sopranos.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 13, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I always assumed that Oz ended with a mass escape and everybody (COs included) went into hiding in the Law & Order version of New York. :)

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Oz has sadly not aged nearly as well as the Sopranos.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've mentioned this before, but the first few seasons of Oz are pretty great, but it became a parody of itself by the second half of the fourth season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

sticksy posted:

I have no clue how I didn't hear of this last year but this evening I got a push notification from People magazine of all things - uhh I guess there was a round-table thing with David Chase awhile ago and :siren:13 year old spoilers:siren: he accidentally revealed Tony was murdered in the final scene of the series

David Chase writing his own fanfiction. Shameful.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-v6T4gUmkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjABs9poa3Y

Food Boner fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 13, 2020

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
just finished a watch through - tony dies or doesn't in the last scene it doesn't matter he's hosed either way

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The New York City acting scene hugely benefited from Law & Order (and all the spin-offs) as well as HBO. Most stuff was either shot on location or at Silvercup Studios in Queens, so you had a lot of "Hey, thanks for letting me read for this, I also know this guy that would be perfect for this other part..."

I remember a quote from one of the actors that if you didn't come from New York/New Jersey just in general they kind of gave you a hard time.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

sticksy posted:

For those at home he didn't actually reveal anything.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I remember a quote from one of the actors that if you didn't come from New York/New Jersey just in general they kind of gave you a hard time.

I always heard that the L&O crew were the people to talk to if you wanted to know where to film any kind of scene in the NY area, they just knew it all.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Was anyone else concerned about that cat's safety around Paulie?

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Bliggers- posted:

Was anyone else concerned about that cat's safety around Paulie?

Yes

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Paulie is 100% gonna get in an Edgar Allan Poe situation with that cat

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If there was another season there would be a whole bottle episode like the bb fly episode with paulie shooting at that cat in a deserted bing.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

EDIT: It still blows my mind that in 1999 Edie Falco was a CO on Oz that didn't take any poo poo at the same time she was Carmela on the Sopranos.

Father Phil too!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Chrisotpher Columbus statue stuff reminded me of that one weird Soprano's episode that felt so out of place and odd when it aired that everyone seems to hate but seems really relevant now.

"Christopher", which everyone assumed would deal with Montesanti and be an Imperioli centric episode but took an odd turn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_(The_Sopranos)

People who watch the series for the first time NOW will totally get it and the episode won't feel out of place at all. Even as a kid, younger than 10, I remember asking how someone could "discover" a country that had people living in it and never got an honest answer. The go to CHUD answer is "they were savages", which I've heard my entire life.

There's a bunch of South Philly Italians gathered around Columbus Square in Philly right now who roughed a reporter and who are brandishing weapons and poo poo that called back this episode for me.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/philly-protests-christopher-columbus-statue-lovers-beat-unicorn-riot-reporter-after-police-order-him-to-leave

And all I can do is picture Silvio, Paulie, and Bobby in the crowd roughing up "those people" who "have no respect" and Artie hiding in a car.

The "Christopher" episode has made its bones it seems.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It's home to one of my favorite Ralphie lines.

"This is my TA"

"Yes she is, yes she is"

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
My favorite Ralphie line:

Paulie: You're late!

Ralphie: And tomorrow I'll be on time, but you'll still be stupid.

great line I heard yesterday from Season 6:

*Phil and crew show up late
Vito: Finally! I got mushrooms growin out my rear end!

Phil: Now there's an image.
*end of scene*

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

"She wanted to gently caress me up the rear end and pimp me out I said get the gently caress outta here!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
“You think Ralph has a problem with women?”

“I don’t know Ton’, he did beat one to death for...I forget, what was it?”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ralphie obnoxiously quoting Gladiator felt very realistic because he was by no means the only one when the movie dropped.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

The Chrisotpher Columbus statue stuff reminded me of that one weird Soprano's episode that felt so out of place and odd when it aired that everyone seems to hate but seems really relevant now.

"Christopher", which everyone assumed would deal with Montesanti and be an Imperioli centric episode but took an odd turn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_(The_Sopranos)

People who watch the series for the first time NOW will totally get it and the episode won't feel out of place at all. Even as a kid, younger than 10, I remember asking how someone could "discover" a country that had people living in it and never got an honest answer. The go to CHUD answer is "they were savages", which I've heard my entire life.

There's a bunch of South Philly Italians gathered around Columbus Square in Philly right now who roughed a reporter and who are brandishing weapons and poo poo that called back this episode for me.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/philly-protests-christopher-columbus-statue-lovers-beat-unicorn-riot-reporter-after-police-order-him-to-leave

And all I can do is picture Silvio, Paulie, and Bobby in the crowd roughing up "those people" who "have no respect" and Artie hiding in a car.

The "Christopher" episode has made its bones it seems.

"He was gay, Gary Cooper?"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Ralphie obnoxiously quoting Gladiator felt very realistic because he was by no means the only one when the movie dropped.

Remember when a non serialized movie could have a place in the popular consciousness

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They still do basically everywhere besides online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Dawgstar posted:

I worked in an office with a few Gladiator quoters at the time. I'd segue in to Airplane! at the most opportunities.