Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Timby posted:

I still think it's troubling that the movie was supposed to be out a month ago, originally, and we have yet to see a single frame of footage from it.

it does raise some interesting questions (answers to which will probably never be forthcoming) about just how much of the movie was ready to go at any given point over the past year, and if/how much they changed it based on KOTM's dull thud of a performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
My son's reaction to the delay: "Why can't they just release it so I can watch it here [at home] like Scoob?"

While I'd love that, I reckon this movie's too big of a release for that kind of thing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If there's one genre of films that would lose something in going straight to streaming it's kaiju.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Considering how unhype everyone is for this movie maybe it should go direct to video, I mean streaming

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I may have gotten his notion through gossip osmosis but isn't Adam Wingard kind of an rear end in a top hat and untalented?

I have hope in the action. I'm hopeful for the insanity like skull crawlers, monster island, and mecha-kaiji because I've lost hope in the Monsterverse having interesting human characters which vanished the instant Bryan Cranston's body bag zipped up

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Horizing1/status/1272010079269580802

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I may have gotten his notion through gossip osmosis but isn't Adam Wingard kind of an rear end in a top hat and untalented?

You absolutely got that notion through gossip osmosis.

By all accounts he's a pretty okay dude, and a large majority of his movies whip rear end. He essentially just got unlucky in that he was the poor bastard who did Death Note, a movie that (while very, very good) was never, ever going to be received well by the people it was targeted towards, and we live in times where if you don't like a movie you're supposed to go on a righteous crusade about how the director is Satan-Hitler and raped your pets (see: Rian Johnson, Zack Snyder)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 15, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Live Action Death Note 2017 is the best movie of the 2010s, fight me.

I'm only mildly facetious about that. Full disclosure, I hate Death Note. I've always hated Death Note. I hate the people that heap praises on the main character unironically and even those that do it ironically because it just encourages the idiots. Death Note 2017 is a movie that full well understands Death Note, and also actively despises it. William Defoe is amazing as usual, but the real twist of the film is brilliant and I love it.

Namely, that the main character is NOT Kira from the original...but his girlfriend is instead. His girlfriend is Kira. SHe's the one who pushes the jackass to use the Death Note for personal gains and to change the world. She's the sociopath who doesn't give a poo poo about people. And she gets played SUPER HARD. Switching around who is what character was a great call and made the entire event so much better. Plus, it ends with CHICAGO blaring and then wraps on on goddamn Air Supply. I've rarely ever laughed so much at a movie and something so on the goddamn nose.

But boy, if you wanted something that adapted Death Note in a friendly, not at all tearing down and rebuilding kind of way, this was NOT going to be your movie. Beyond that, no, there's been no real rumors of Adam Wingard being a prick on sets that I'm aware of. And for Death Note 2017 I will give him my undying attention for any project he tackles forever more.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Personally I think the original Death Note is totally fine, it's a really good cat-and-mouse story that does a drat good job at piling twists on top of twists on top of more twists without having the whole thing collapse under its own weight.

The problem is, you just flat-out can't loving do that in a single relatively short movie. It has to be a long-form work in order for it to not be just overstuffed. 2017 essentially cuts the Gordian knot of "how the gently caress do you do that in a single movie" by taking the base premise of the story, and rewriting it into a teen-slasher parable about how white people in positions of privilege can do pretty much whatever the gently caress they want while POC, even ones supposedly trusted by the law, get hosed over.

Like, I don't really get the "it hates the original" thing because it's a false dichotomy: doing something deliberately different from the original doesn't indicate any kind of personal negativity towards the original, and it's probably kind of telling on that front that the original creators of the manga saw 2017 and loving loved it. 2017 isn't really trying to throw up a middle finger at the original, it's just doing something wildly different because the original story just flat-out wouldn't work in that format.

e: I will say, the most common criticism of it (that the movie is racist because Light is white and not Japanese) is just the most absurd bullshit ever and indicates that they didn't bother to actually try to read the movie. It's not exactly an accident that Light is a white dude and the son of a cop in 2017, whereas L is a black dude who lives on the fringes of society. The movie is very explicitly trying to make a point with that, and the point it's trying to make is something I don't think any of the people griping would dispute or be annoyed at.

e2: Regarding that spoiler, though, I think that's also a misreading. They're both horrible people. They might as well be Henry and Otis from Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, just transplanted into a goofier world; their conflict isn't a moral one, per se, it's that Mia wants to expand their influence and go "loud", whereas Light would much rather just take occasional joy in brutally murdering people nobody will miss.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 15, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Guest was not a film made by someone who is untalented

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Like, I don't really get the "it hates the original" thing because it's a false dichotomy: doing something deliberately different from the original doesn't indicate any kind of personal negativity towards the original, and it's probably kind of telling on that front that the original creators of the manga saw 2017 and loving loved it. 2017 isn't really trying to throw up a middle finger at the original, it's just doing something wildly different because the original story just flat-out wouldn't work in that format.
I agree that it doesn't hate the original but I'd say it starts less from the point of what would work for a movie and more starts from the position of "What if the narrative didn't buy into Light's god-complex". In both Light is from a priveledged majority group and L is an orphan from a disadvantaged ethnic background. With the difference primarily being one of narrative perspective and whether it is sympathetic to Light and his self image or not.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

The Guest was not a film made by someone who is untalented

This. I didn't much care for You're Next, and I have basically zero interest in any Death Note media, but The Guest loving rules.

Now, is Godzilla vs. Kong necessarily the kind of movie you would expect to benefit from the style of the director who made The Guest? That's a trickier question. But I'm also not especially convinced Wingard will be allowed to go too far outside the box with what is ultimately a $150m+ studio tentpole.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You're Next was a really dumb, fun film. A neat twist in that genre.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Terrible Opinions posted:

I agree that it doesn't hate the original but I'd say it starts less from the point of what would work for a movie and more starts from the position of "What if the narrative didn't buy into Light's god-complex".

That's literally the point of the ending of the original. That's what makes the ending so great, it strips Light of all pretensions and his last moment is spent begging on the ground to not die. No matter how smart he is, no matter what he accomplished, he is a man and he dies pathetically without dignity.

https://i.imgur.com/qZlPKxm.jpg

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah in the original it is a large shift in narrative perspective right at the end. It makes explicit how the reader had in essence been misled by the narrative bias. In the remake there is no such change, just showing you how it is from the very beginning. I like both a lot.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i don't know, maybe i read Death Note differently from everyone else, but i didn't feel like it was that sudden of a shift. because it's not just the ending, the entire Near/Mello arc is there to basically tell you Light sucks rear end and only got where he was because he was lucky.

the moment Light has to contend with people that want to bring him in and also don't have a weird pseudo-crush on him, he gets hosed, hard. because he was never that smart or cunning, he was just essentially the worst possible matchup for L, and mostly because L really wanted to bang him.

really, all 2017 is doing is replacing the homoerotic tension with a racism parable.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don’t know why Vogt Roberts wasn’t brought back. He’s super passionate about the kaiju verse and Kong was loving amazing. Better than it had any right to be.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

My reading might be off but I saw it as a build through the whole second arc, until that climax. At which point no matter how sympathetic the narrative was to Light it couldn't sustain any respect for him. Hence the big dramatic breakdown scene.

I'd also argue that the racism while much more developed in the 2017 movie was also present in the original. L's multi-racial background was certainly a part of what kept him initially distant from the rest of the investigators. Though there was a lot more emphasis on his failure to conform to social norms.

Vintersorg posted:

I don’t know why Vogt Roberts wasn’t brought back. He’s super passionate about the kaiju verse and Kong was loving amazing. Better than it had any right to be.
Yeah Kong is the one movie in this exercise I can just call good without qualifiers.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the thing is, L is regarded as weird by the other investigators in the original, but they also pretty much listen when he talks. they basically think of him like "man this guy's a weirdo, but he's also the best detective ever, so we need to put up with the weirdness because he's probably right about everything."

he basically fucks himself over by being exactly as addicted to overly convoluted plans as Light is and wanting to play weird mind games to get a solid smoking gun and "beat" Light at his own game, even after he already knows drat well that Light is Kira. he could very easily just tell the rest of the investigators "yeah I'm pretty sure Light Yagami is Kira, let's get a warrant and go roll him" and be listened to just on the strength of being L, World's Greatest Super-Detective. he never does that.

that's not the case in 2017. 2017 L actually tries that and it blows up in his face because nobody will listen to him.

the moment Light in the original has to actually contend with something resembling reality, instead of having the opposition to him be essentially controlled by a guy who's just as dumb and crazy as he is and also implied to be in love with him, everything starts crumbling. Light in 2017 has society actively covering his rear end and beating a much more overtly competent L down; it's notable that he only really does anything resembling the original Light's antics when he has to deal with Mia, who is operating from the same place of privilege. with L, he just watches as L falls flat on his own face due to his utter lack of support or respect from his superiors and laughs smugly.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 15, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

Everyone was already in place when Kong came out I think.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

Everyone was already in place when Kong came out I think.

This. THey already laid the foundations around the time 2014 Godzilla was a thing.

Also 2014 Godzilla is a good movie, you guys need to go back and rewatch it.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Burkion posted:

That's only by virtue of the great parts and the boring parts averaging out to "good" though. Very uneven.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Burkion posted:

This. THey already laid the foundations around the time 2014 Godzilla was a thing.

Nah I don’t want to hear people continue bitching about that movie. We can just enjoy it without them lmao

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think Godzilla is good but kong does kinda blow the curve up so bad by how great it is

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm the jerk who likes Peter Jackson's Kong more than Kong Skull Island :getin:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Hedrigall posted:

I'm the jerk who likes Peter Jackson's Kong more than Kong Skull Island :getin:

Kong '05 is a bloated mess, but I still love it because 3-hour long monster movie epics should be encouraged rather than scorned IMO

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I genuinely love how bloated it is, I love all the stuff in New York and on the boat before they even get to Skull Island. I love the ridiculous side plots about the crew of the Venture. I love the scene where Adrian Brody types "skull island" on his typewriter and it does an over the top slow-mo zoom into each key as he presses it. I love the ice skating scene. That movie is so excessive in every way and it's great :swoon:

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.
Same. I have a hard time staying mad at a movie with a 50-brontosoar pile up.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
We need more movies that only last 90 minutes imo. We need to revive Roger corman (with the caveat that he is not allowed near any women)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the thing is, L is regarded as weird by the other investigators in the original, but they also pretty much listen when he talks. they basically think of him like "man this guy's a weirdo, but he's also the best detective ever, so we need to put up with the weirdness because he's probably right about everything."

he basically fucks himself over by being exactly as addicted to overly convoluted plans as Light is and wanting to play weird mind games to get a solid smoking gun and "beat" Light at his own game, even after he already knows drat well that Light is Kira. he could very easily just tell the rest of the investigators "yeah I'm pretty sure Light Yagami is Kira, let's get a warrant and go roll him" and be listened to just on the strength of being L, World's Greatest Super-Detective. he never does that.

that's not the case in 2017. 2017 L actually tries that and it blows up in his face because nobody will listen to him.

the moment Light in the original has to actually contend with something resembling reality, instead of having the opposition to him be essentially controlled by a guy who's just as dumb and crazy as he is and also implied to be in love with him, everything starts crumbling. Light in 2017 has society actively covering his rear end and beating a much more overtly competent L down; it's notable that he only really does anything resembling the original Light's antics when he has to deal with Mia, who is operating from the same place of privilege. with L, he just watches as L falls flat on his own face due to his utter lack of support or respect from his superiors and laughs smugly.
I don't really disagree with any of this. I just see L being in love with Light as an extension of the story itself being in love with him. L's obstructions are largely overcome because Light is a genius whose nemesis can't be foiled by society just being against him. So naturally his opponent must also be a hyper capable genius. The first half puts the read in the shoes of someone still in a serial killer's cult of personality, and the second half is the slow deprogramming as poo poo all falls apart. Whereas the movie never gives him the benefit of that lens. Instead it's willing to let L be a person with just completely unfair obstacles rather than a the tragically flawed superman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

We need more movies that only last 90 minutes imo. We need to revive Roger corman (with the caveat that he is not allowed near any women)

The sad thing is he probably made some of the more woman friendly movies of the 50s

You can't say it was for GOOD reasons but he was the one who did it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think Godzilla is good but kong does kinda blow the curve up so bad by how great it is

It's so colorful.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gripweed posted:

It's so colorful.

For an action comedy, it sure does kill a lot of the starting cast. But, brilliantly.

And you can't say no to a good Apocalypse Now homage.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

G'14 loving rules.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Good movies are good.

But so are bad movies.

The only truly bad movies are boring.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Which was KoTM

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

The movie THEM! needs to be shown to every film student on the planet. It clocks in at 94 minutes and there is absolutely no fat in the story. Every scene moves the plot forward.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PhotoKirk posted:

The movie THEM! needs to be shown to every film student on the planet. It clocks in at 94 minutes and there is absolutely no fat in the story. Every scene moves the plot forward.

For a movie about giant ants mutated by radiation it holds up remarkably well. Maybe not if it was in color, but honestly it's still pretty good.

Violator
May 15, 2003

PhotoKirk posted:

And there’s even a huge location change from desert to city so you get monsters in both rugged and urban locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The guest is on Netflix for anyone who hasn't seen it, and it's a quick 99 minutes