Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

nwin posted:

Doing the 3-2-1 method for some ribs.

When you reach the 1 and paint the barbecue sauce on them, do you leave the foil on the bottom or completely remove it?

Edit: took the foil out.

How are you supposed to get them off the foil without them falling apart? One fell off and I was careful with the rest

In the 3-2-1 method the 2 hour foil step is often a bit too long. Certainly for baby back ribs. Its a braise step in foil. If you go too long it'll cook your ribs faster than expected. Doing 3-1-1 is a better idea if you must. That said you ran into the problem that made me stop doing it. I hate dealing with the foil & butter/sauce/etc after the fact. Burned the poo poo out of myself once when one popped & ran onto my skin. Even without that issue cleaning up after it sucks. I stick to doing it all unwrapped & ensure they're kept moist by spraying regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

3-1-1 is interesting, I might try that next if I remember. I did 3-2-1 once, the ribs were good but they were even better when I did 2-2-1.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

onemanlan posted:

In the 3-2-1 method the 2 hour foil step is often a bit too long. Certainly for baby back ribs. Its a braise step in foil. If you go too long it'll cook your ribs faster than expected. Doing 3-1-1 is a better idea if you must. That said you ran into the problem that made me stop doing it. I hate dealing with the foil & butter/sauce/etc after the fact. Burned the poo poo out of myself once when one popped & ran onto my skin. Even without that issue cleaning up after it sucks. I stick to doing it all unwrapped & ensure they're kept moist by spraying regularly.

Cleaning up and removing them didn’t bother me much, but they didn’t taste great.

I kept it at 225 through the cook but the last hour I bumped it to 275.

The middle ribs were tender and falling apart. The end ones were a little dry. I used St. Louis ribs so I was hoping they’d be more forgivable.

The only decent rack I’ve had was when I just let them go uncovered with just a rub. They took 9 hours but were great. I need something more predictable to feed my family though, hence the reason for trying the 321 method.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I don't remove the foil for all the reasons you ran into. You can just open up the foil so the top of the ribs are exposed and get basically the same effect. I've done both wrapped and unwrapped, and I prefer wrapped because the cartilage on spareribs gets softer more reliably when you wrap to get the braise/steaming. You can definitely still get the cartilage to the point where you can bite through it unwrapped, it just tends to be harder and for me less consistent.

As others have said 3-2-1 is probably too long to wrap, but it's a decent starting point for deciding what you want. I usually go closer to 1.5 in foil / end, but it mostly depends on if I remember to check the smoker in time

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I usually put two racks in a single foil pouch, just to save time and foil.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I don't think I'm going to get any support from Louisiana Grill. Should I just hit it with some Rustoleum Grill Paint, or return the whole (very heavy) thing to Costco? It's not even 1 year old.

edit - I was on hold for 30 minutes. gently caress it, I'm just painting the outside and seasoning the inside like cast iron.

Update:
I emailed Product Support and after about a week they replied and said they do not warranty paint or rust. They recommended that I paint the exterior with high temp grill paint and they would give me a $50 credit to their online store, or I could return the product to Costco if I was unhappy.

I cleaned and painted the exterior, the Rustoleum grill paint hasn't bubbled or flaked. I coated the inside with Crisco and seasoned it like a cast iron pan. It seems to be holding up so far.

I used my $50 credit to buy a 20lb hopper extension so I can smoke things for more than 7 hours without having to refill.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well at least they tossed you something. What a PITA that would be to return. But then I wonder what Costco would do with it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They’d say “we’re Costco, and the deal is that you take things back” and the manufacturer would take it back with a spritely “yes, ma’am!”

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

If anyone was wondering, costco (temporarily) raised beef prices because of corona impacting suppliers. The prime briskets are like $6 or $7 a pound right now. It's something .99 and I can't remember which and am too lazy to go downstairs and look

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

gwrtheyrn posted:

If anyone was wondering, costco (temporarily) raised beef prices because of corona impacting suppliers. The prime briskets are like $6 or $7 a pound right now. It's something .99 and I can't remember which and am too lazy to go downstairs and look

What would normal price be?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

nwin posted:

What would normal price be?

I want to say like $4 a pound. I want to say that they were like $60-70 per brisket last time I bought one, now they're mostly 90+

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

I want to say like $4 a pound. I want to say that they were like $60-70 per brisket last time I bought one, now they're mostly 90+

Normal price is 4 per lb, at least in northern Virginia.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gwrtheyrn posted:

Gonna be outing myself as a filthy poor, but I could barely afford them at $60. No pastrami experiments for me, I guess :(

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Kalman posted:

Normal price is 4 per lb, at least in northern Virginia.

Dear lord, packers are still 2.49/Lb here at HEB in Houston

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Zaepho posted:

gently caress I miss living in Texas

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Zaepho posted:

For prime graded?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Kalman posted:

For prime graded?

Probably choice

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Your meat is so much cheaper. Here is my receipt from the other day, top line is pata negra pork, bottom line is cou de porc which obviously translates as pork neck but seems to really be shoulder. 1 CHF = 1 USD

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Yeah brisket prices spiked up a good bit. Costco went from $4/lb --> $7/lb for packer prices. Did get lucky and find a pre-spike priced brisket additionally marked on sale at a Walmart recently. Immediately snatched it up. Felt like I was in a dream.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

During the first few weeks of Covid I bought 2 prime packers for $3.50/lb. Then I went to Sam's and their prime packers were $2.78/lb :(

Prior to that I was always buying briskets at walmart and I would always stock up when they were near expiration and reduced to $1.50/lb.

But I will say that everything at Walmart is injected including the briskets. Having had better briskets I don't think I will buy them from walmart unless they are stupid cheap again.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 12, 2020

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

:yum:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So I got my hands on a nice, 11lbs piece of beef brisket.

It's too much to make on one take, and I don't wanna freeze too many leftovers. As this is my second brisket, what do you all recommend? Split it in half, so I have both point and flat on each piece (the last one I made was about 5lbs of point and flat), or seperate point and flat, and do the flat one time, and the point another time?

The more I google, the more opinions I find about both ways...help me

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I would separate point and flat rather than cut it in half the long way--in fact I just always do that so I can actually fit it on my smoker.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sounds good and what I hoped would be right, thanks!

I'll seperate point and flat, and might try myself at some burnt ends when doing the point.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm hoping to pick up a brisket today and my plan is to split point and flat, freezing the flat for another time and doing the point tomorrow.

They were marked down to $2.49/lb here when they're normally $6-7/lb :eyepop:

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

This annoys me so much. Costco in most southern states sells prime brisket for like $2 or $3 per pound. In Pennsylvania, the only brisket I could find at Costco was some bullshit pre-cut stuff for like $11/lb. I found a decent butcher but I'm still paying about $4-5 per pound for choice.

So what I'm saying is, screw anybody with access to $2.50/lb prime brisket, you are the worst.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Even in the south though, to get that 3$/pound price on prime brisket you have to buy the full 15 pound packer, which is very probably too large to fit in your freezer space and or smoker/is a pain to deal with. If you buy just a flat or w/e then the price goes up to like 7.50$ a pound.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

I'm hoping to pick up a brisket today and my plan is to split point and flat, freezing the flat for another time and doing the point tomorrow.

They were marked down to $2.49/lb here when they're normally $6-7/lb :eyepop:

The only ones left were frozen solid. But went to another place and got Prime beef for $4.39/lb.

If I split flat and point tonight and season the point to leave in the fridge overnight I should be fine, right?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Oh yeah. I always season whatever I’m doing the night before.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Double post for some food pics

9.8lbs pork butt trimmed down to about 7.8 lbs. my past with pork butts has had them go WAY longer than I expected so I threw this bad boy on at 6PM @ 250 for a pool party today. Ended up finishing up at about 8AM and is in foil, towels, in a cooler to rest.

I checked it a few times during the night (2am, 4 am, woke up at 6 am). Very impressed with the Egg. Didn’t adjust vents once from 6pm until finished. When it was done, I opened my vents all the way to heat/scrape the remnants off the grill plate and was at 500 degrees in like twenty minutes.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I've been stuck in the stall while wrapped in butcher paper for almost 3 hours now. Gonna have to foil it if this keeps up :mad:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I picked up a 5.26lb hunk of "point cut corned beef" on impulse at the grocery store tonight. I've heard of brining it in Sprite for several hours, not quite sure why (removing the salt?), but I'm open to ideas and suggestions on smoking this thing. Posting pic of it here as imgur won't let me upload it for some reason.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I’d rinse it thoroughly, then cut off and cook a tiny piece to check saltiness. If it’s too salty, soak it it in water for two hours, pat it dry, absolutely cover it in 2:1 black pepper and coriander and let it sit in the fridge for at least another 3 hours to let the salt redistribute.

Smoke it either to 200 and rest, or smoke it to 155ish then steam to 200.

You’ve got yourself some pastrami.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Doom Rooster posted:

I’d rinse it thoroughly, then cut off and cook a tiny piece to check saltiness. If it’s too salty, soak it it in water for two hours, pat it dry, absolutely cover it in 2:1 black pepper and coriander and let it sit in the fridge for at least another 3 hours to let the salt redistribute.

Smoke it either to 200 and rest, or smoke it to 155ish then steam to 200.

You’ve got yourself some pastrami.

^^ Do this!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Just got a crazy new smoker and I’m excited to get some recipes together. Does anyone have a recommended recipe and smoke for turkey legs? I had some crazy turkey when I was in the states and I’d like to try and make the ultimate at home :)

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Brine in salt and brown sugar, smoke at 375 until 160.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I picked up a 5.26lb hunk of "point cut corned beef" on impulse at the grocery store tonight. I've heard of brining it in Sprite for several hours, not quite sure why (removing the salt?), but I'm open to ideas and suggestions on smoking this thing. Posting pic of it here as imgur won't let me upload it for some reason.

I'd already started brining the night before Doom Rooster's reply, so here's how it went: I placed the meat in a Rubbermaid container, poured in a 2L of Sprite, sealed the lid and put it in the fridge. Poured out the liquid and added a new bottle of Sprite before bed, then did the same in the morning. Brining time was about 12 hours.

The brining softened up the meat enough to separate into two pieces. I wasn't sure whether the fat should be trimmed or not, so I trimmed it on one piece. For seasoning, I bought a bottled of McCormick's Pickling Spice and ground it up into a powder, then coated both pieces of meat with it. The seasoning that was already on the meat wasn't in a packet, so most of it got rinsed off in the brining.

Since food on the lower rack of my smoker cooks faster, I put the piece with the fat there in hopes that it would insulate enough to be done a half hour before the other piece rather than an hour.

Both were done in just under five hours. Turned out pretty nice:

A few thoughts from this experience:

- if room allows, put all the meat on the upper rack
- otherwise, wrap the lower rack in foil or at least use a foil pan. The bark on the lower piece got extra tough
- the salty taste wasn't overpowering but it was noticeable. Try brining for longer than 12 hours next time

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Just got a crazy new smoker and I’m excited to get some recipes together. Does anyone have a recommended recipe and smoke for turkey legs? I had some crazy turkey when I was in the states and I’d like to try and make the ultimate at home :)

What crazy new smoker did you get?

You want to do a brine with pink salt if you want the “American” experience. Then smoke at 225 until done (I cheat and refer to virtual Weber bullet website for times and temps for basic things).

If you don’t do pink salt rub with salt and baking powder for awesome maillard at low temps.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Awesome thank you!

It’s a cactus jack longhorn from Germany. 7mm steel behemoth.

It’s gonna be fun times learning this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Holy smokes that must weigh a ton