Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

An insane mind posted:

I wonder how much of a 'dickpunch' CIG's funding would be to EA if it were expressed in a comparative graph form.

Also, thanks for the welcome Titanic :D

You're welcome. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

An insane mind posted:

Aren't they trying to push their child into Hollywood now and kind of succeeding?

Yep, it's what psychopaths do. My wife and I went to a resort a few years ago and unbeknownst to us at the time, there was some kind of cheerleader convention going on at the same time. To this day, it was the most overtly and disturbingly creepy thing I've ever seen by a country mile. What parents are willing to do to their children for validation, and then claim they're doing it for the children, is absolutely staggering. The kinds of people I saw that day, and the things I saw them doing and heard them saying, will be forever seared into my mind, and when the aliens land and ask me "what do you think, peace or annihilation" each second I pause while trying to decide will be due to me recalling those people and weighing the matter very, very heavily.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This one made me laugh, and I know it's insensitive but the one where CR gives a thumbs up in his wing commander flight suit and then crashes into a building made me cough-google a bit too much too.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I'm interested, but I'm not holding out a ton of hope. I imagine it'll be more arcade-y rather than sim-y. More NMS flight rather than Elite: Dangerous.

Say what you want about ED's grind and late game play- one thing they absolutely nailed was the spaceflight and landing/taking off. Give me that in a Star Wars universe and I'd be all over it. Or more Tie Fighter... that was a blast back in the day. First game I really got into.

Elite feels so great. Wish it had more a satisfying progression than just grinding for better ships but what it does well, it does better than everybody.

Star Wars Squadrons seems likely to nail the get-in-get-out team battle play stuff. FlightSim 2020 seems likely to do the “OMG this is a fully realized PLANET EARTH I can pilot all around.” No Man’s Sky is a perfect kiddie fun Space Sim that does everything at least decently and some things very well.

5+ years ago, Chris was laying claims to delivering the best possible version of all such games. A next generation flight and dogfighting simulator that blew all priors away. Fully realized, high fidelity planets full of adventures just awaiting discovery. Etc.

The competitive entrants since have carved away and bested every part of that blustery, amorphous plan and it just keeps coming. Squadron 42, if it ever releases, will be a bloated, pretentious slog that reminds people just how much crisper and more enjoyable Infinite Warfare’s campaign was. FlightSim 2020 looks poised to make the planetary tech of 3.x feel quaint and outdated. Star Wars Squadrons - if it’s like the space combat from Battlefront games - will hit that nostalgic “Every since I was a wide eyed 8 year old...” combat button Chris invoked and promised to push in the Kickstarter video.

And Elite adding space feet will likely give Star Citizen fans yet more cause for dissatisfaction as it blurs the biggest distinction remaining between the two games, and heaven forbid, gives “make your own fun” space gamers a better sim to LARP around in. Despite my frustrations with Elite, I know I’ll be diving in for dozens more hours.

Funding tracker says it’s the best of times, all other signs point to a project three years dead in the water... Chris says maybe 10 million players someday, the community screams “WTF Chris why is everything so horrible and progress moving so slowly!!!” Lando takes the camera every so often to say “diagetic”, show illustrations of future wildlife coming “someday”, and interview the fifth replacement of their original sound designer to explain how they’re capturing incredible noises — while Devs explain they can’t even get a “why Squadron is running late again” excuse video together as the deadline for Beta work rushes quietly by...

The games are forgotten, though not quite dead. They will never become what it promised to be and never live up to what they should have been. And it seems now Chris himself is resigned to that reality, fighting to postpone their final judgment by the marketplace and critics as long as possible so as to delay his own overdue career comeuppance.

Even now, as he scolds and berates the teams struggling to get their fake Squadron 42 update into picture perfect shape for release, he knows he’s hosed. And it’ll be worse come tomorrow, when Star Wars: Squadrons does their reveal and probably gets a ton of views and buzz, looks amazing and fun, and he has his teams go back to the drawing board yet again to “punch up the dogfighting” because “we have to be better than that guuuuuyyyyyyyys!”

But they won’t. They’ll suck at everything they promised to be the best at, and if we’re lucky, one day they’ll ship their proof of their inferiority so the world can glory in what a fantastic, pointless, priceless mess Chris made of things.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sandweed posted:

That is what is going to happen eventually. Quietly downsizing, but keeping up appearances. After all if they ever publicly admitted how far away a release is or how hosed the code is, funding would dry up. It's all a confidence scam at this point.

I actually don't believe this anymore.

Only because people can see how far away it is from anything promised, but funding never stops. Devs go on videos and insult the needs of the public but nobody cares.

Cig just sells the next crazy thing and people apparently still buy it.

I'm pretty sure at this point Cr could pee in cornflakes and people would buy it for thousands. He's just one skip away from Garriott and his blood selling.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Yeah she only thought of Star Citizen as a big cash cow and a way into Hollywood. She had a very obvious disdain for the space nerds and their dumb video game.

And it worked for her.

It didn't give her any talent, but her dreams came true; and I bet still are.

Thanks backers. :)

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

The Titanic posted:

Only because people can see how far away it is from anything promised, but funding never stops. Devs go on videos and insult the needs of the public but nobody cares.

I'm pretty sure at this point Cr could pee in cornflakes and people would buy it for thousands. He's just one skip away from Garriott and his blood selling.

When Charles Ponzi was in jail for his scam, people still sent him requests to invest their money. Some people are not good with money it seems.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Titanic posted:

This one made me laugh, and I know it's insensitive but the one where CR gives a thumbs up in his wing commander flight suit and then crashes into a building made me cough-google a bit too much too.

The WTC one?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Has anyone said Tane lately?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Yeah, without some external influence this train is not stopping.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

trucutru posted:

Yeah, without some external influence this train is not stopping.

I’m unironically rooting for this. I don’t ever want this never ending well of humor to dry up. I want CIG to have raised 500 million by 2025 and have 2 solar systems, the drink mixer mini game, and a beta for Squadron 42: Episode 2.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Nah man. Give it two weeks.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I agree, two weeks, 90 days tops.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m unironically rooting for this. I don’t ever want this never ending well of humor to dry up. I want CIG to have raised 500 million by 2025 and have 2 solar systems, the drink mixer mini game, and a beta for Squadron 42: Episode 2.

Episode 2?! Look, be reasonable. They're not made of magical Germans.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

Elite feels so great. Wish it had more a satisfying progression than just grinding for better ships but what it does well, it does better than everybody.

Elite does well for what its designed to do, and not much toward the dreams of Star Citizen backers. The OG Elite was about "making it". Elite Dangerous' primary goals don't detract from that much.

The interesting thing against Elite are Shitizen's arguments over "super epic space fidelity fights" with "massive battleships / fleets" that are easily quelled because there's a shitload of space. With so much insurance money on the line, Commanders in Elite are more conservative and will play more defensively. Over time, the fleet battle will break up and become bubbles of smaller battles interspersed over much space. Even with a central Landmark (like a massive battlecruiser) you can easily drift many KM away from it.

The final argument SC has over Elite is basically space legs, the final frontier. Now with Odyssey on the horizon (pun intended), SC backers no longer have +20 to saving throws. If Frontier delivers on the continuity of the Xeno encounters and being able to kill Thargoids face to face. Elite will have finally come full circle one of the remakes that are true to its source in history.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The next 6 months will determine the future of Star Citizen. Surely if no progress is made in that time, the funding base will rebel.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The next 6 months will determine the future of Star Citizen. Surely if no progress is made in that time, the funding base will rebel.

I remember someone saying that S42 was in a playable state and would launch in March 2019? Or was it March 2020. My memory escapes me.

MOMA are you there? Just quoting the poo poo out of you.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

no_recall posted:

I remember someone saying that S42 was in a playable state and would launch in March 2019? Or was it March 2020. My memory escapes me.

MOMA are you there? Just quoting the poo poo out of you.

Ben said that he played through the whole campaign back in like 2014

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'd be genuinely surprised if SQ42 episode 1 was even out by 2025... We might not even see that SQ42 video they had to delay by then!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

r/starcitizen: $300,000,000 posted:

quote:

With this constant funding drip there's little motivation for SC to be released.

Star Citizen: almost $300m after seven and a half years of ongoing crowdfunding.
Borderlands 3: over $300m in three days after release. Fallout 4: over $750m in its opening day after release.

..."lItTlE MoTiVaTiOn"...

quote:

They don't. They blindly focus on the trickle of crowdfunding cash and ignore the fact that releases of even moderately-hyped games bring in vastly more than that.

Detroit: Become Human wasn't exactly a blockbuster, and was PS4-exclusive, yet still sold 3m copies in a year and over 1m within the first two weeks. That's $60m raised in a fortnight, compared to SC taking about a year to do that, and over 100m in a year compared to CIG's best efforts of less than $50m in 2019.

"There's no motivation for them to release", they cry, while simultaneously insisting that all CIG care about is generating money. Absolutely clueless...

quote:

quote:

They will never have motivation to finish the game if people keep giving them money.

Yes, because slowly accuring $50m a year is far more attractive than releasing episodic SQ42 titles and bringing in a couple of million $60 sales every two years.

If they sold 1m copies of a game it would beat their funding from any year. Mordhau and Kingdom Come: Deliverance managed that, and Early Access titles like Rust and The Forest have sold over 5m copies each, and assuming they all sold at EA prices ($15-20) they'd still comfortably beat CIGs best funding years.

I can understand people making this false claim through simple ignorance, but compounding that with this level of arrogance when it's demonstrably untrue is just astounding.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Defund Star Citizen

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

colonelwest posted:

I’m really hoping it’s not just a super arcadey arena dogfighting game with like 16 players and some waves of bad bots making up the “single player” portion. There was a cancelled Star Wars project along those lines 5 or so years ago.

Having mechanics something like the X-Wing series is a must. It’s the right mix of depth and accessibility.

Battlefront II starfighters is a little like this. It’s actually not terrible, but you get rolled by the really good players and they never really added more arenas.

I’d be stoked for something tie fightery. Less so for a rebel assault.

Either way, expect salt.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Is the game out yet? Asking for a friend.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

dieselfruit posted:

Defund Star Citizen

:five:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
You can have one chocolate now or two chocolates in an hour.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sillybones posted:

You can have one jpeg of chocolate now or two chocolates in an hour decade.

:gary: :lesnick: :pgabz: :sandance: :yarg:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
But the two chocolates are actually poop

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

trucutru posted:

Is the game out yet? Asking for a friend.

Another famous quote.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
The choice isn't between releasing a successful game and whale hunting, because they couldn't make an actual game to save their lives. It's more like a choice between the game imploding and continuing to milk backers, what the hell do you think they're gonna do? It probably wasn't a scam to begin with, more like "might as well continue our incompetence as long as it pays pretty well." Funny those backers can't see that as a logical explanation.

edit: Discussion > Games > Star Citizen: THE MAKING OF DREAM

L. Ron Hoover fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 15, 2020

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

L. Ron Hoover posted:

The choice isn't between releasing a successful game and whale hunting, because they couldn't make an actual game to save their lives. It's more like a choice between the game imploding and continuing to milk backers, what the hell do you think they're gonna do? It probably wasn't a scam to begin with, more like "might as well continue our incompetence as long as it pays pretty well." Funny those backers can't see that as a logical explanation.

edit: Discussion > Games > Star Citizen: THE MAKING OF DREAM

It almost definitely was not a scam from day one. The weird thing is that this isn't just sunk cost fallacy, you find the exact same argument in almost every backer narrative: Chris has the freedom to make the game he wants to make without publisher interference. For this to make sense the following must be true:

1) Chris knows how to make a game
2) The game he wants to make will be good

Neither of these things is even remotely true, and we have decades of historical data to draw on to illustrate it. The tire fire this project has degenerated into can be laid directly at his feet, because given unlimited time and money the resulting shitshow on display has shown everyone exactly what he is capable of.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pixelate posted:

I’m liking the rumours of VR support...

https://twitter.com/jeffgrubb/status/1271506445649903617

(I’m not asking for insider goss, but any wild hypotheticals always welcome XD)

Not gonna lie this will probably make me go all in with some VR.

I'll legit blow $1000 on some hardware for this... oh and I'll be able to actually use it for other games too lol.

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

G0RF posted:

Star Wars Squadrons seems likely to nail the get-in-get-out team battle play stuff. FlightSim 2020 seems likely to do the “OMG this is a fully realized PLANET EARTH I can pilot all around.” No Man’s Sky is a perfect kiddie fun Space Sim that does everything at least decently and some things very well.

5+ years ago, Chris was laying claims to delivering the best possible version of all such games. A next generation flight and dogfighting simulator that blew all priors away. Fully realized, high fidelity planets full of adventures just awaiting discovery. Etc.

The competitive entrants since have carved away and bested every part of that blustery, amorphous plan and it just keeps coming. Squadron 42, if it ever releases, will be a bloated, pretentious slog that reminds people just how much crisper and more enjoyable Infinite Warfare’s campaign was. FlightSim 2020 looks poised to make the planetary tech of 3.x feel quaint and outdated. Star Wars Squadrons - if it’s like the space combat from Battlefront games - will hit that nostalgic “Every since I was a wide eyed 8 year old...” combat button Chris invoked and promised to push in the Kickstarter video.

And Elite adding space feet will likely give Star Citizen fans yet more cause for dissatisfaction as it blurs the biggest distinction remaining between the two games, and heaven forbid, gives “make your own fun” space gamers a better sim to LARP around in. Despite my frustrations with Elite, I know I’ll be diving in for dozens more hours.

Funding tracker says it’s the best of times, all other signs point to a project three years dead in the water... Chris says maybe 10 million players someday, the community screams “WTF Chris why is everything so horrible and progress moving so slowly!!!” Lando takes the camera every so often to say “diagetic”, show illustrations of future wildlife coming “someday”, and interview the fifth replacement of their original sound designer to explain how they’re capturing incredible noises — while Devs explain they can’t even get a “why Squadron is running late again” excuse video together as the deadline for Beta work rushes quietly by...

The games are forgotten, though not quite dead. They will never become what it promised to be and never live up to what they should have been. And it seems now Chris himself is resigned to that reality, fighting to postpone their final judgment by the marketplace and critics as long as possible so as to delay his own overdue career comeuppance.

Even now, as he scolds and berates the teams struggling to get their fake Squadron 42 update into picture perfect shape for release, he knows he’s hosed. And it’ll be worse come tomorrow, when Star Wars: Squadrons does their reveal and probably gets a ton of views and buzz, looks amazing and fun, and he has his teams go back to the drawing board yet again to “punch up the dogfighting” because “we have to be better than that guuuuuyyyyyyyys!”

But they won’t. They’ll suck at everything they promised to be the best at, and if we’re lucky, one day they’ll ship their proof of their inferiority so the world can glory in what a fantastic, pointless, priceless mess Chris made of things.

Bravo! Every word perfection!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Scruffpuff posted:

It almost definitely was not a scam from day one. The weird thing is that this isn't just sunk cost fallacy, you find the exact same argument in almost every backer narrative: Chris has the freedom to make the game he wants to make without publisher interference. For this to make sense the following must be true:

1) Chris knows how to make a game
2) The game he wants to make will be good

Neither of these things is even remotely true, and we have decades of historical data to draw on to illustrate it. The tire fire this project has degenerated into can be laid directly at his feet, because given unlimited time and money the resulting shitshow on display has shown everyone exactly what he is capable of.

It switched so fast to almost exclusively making concept ship commercials and pushing them on backers, though, to reach the next scope expansive goal.

Probably a combination of management incompetence and greed.

They were of course proven to have lied about Chris and Sandi relationship (and Sandi credentials/experience) from the start and, if Crytek claims were true, they also had nothing to do with the early footage they were showing (that was all made by Crytek).

So, I guess it was scam-y from the beginning. But maybe not as much as past 2014.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

MarcusSA posted:

I'll legit blow $1000 on some hardware for this... oh and I'll be able to actually use it for other games too lol.

1000 sounds a little low for a 2080 and VR stuff

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Dude, think twice!

For that kind of money, you could have some nice ships and a monocle and top hat. Also access to a private forum and mile high club!

Drunk, childishness follows -

:wink::gizz:
:wmwink: :gizz:

:ughh::gizz:

:gary::gizz:

Free Tophat

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AutismVaccine posted:

1000 sounds a little low for a 2080 and VR stuff

OK maybe $1400?

I have a 1080 TI now which should be decent enough and the headsets are what $600?

Kosumo posted:

Dude, think twice!

For that kind of money, you could have some nice ships and a monocle and top hat. Also access to a private forum and mile high club!

Hmm you've actually made a good point. I'm going to pledge now.

EDIT: My real point is I'm down to spend cash on something for one game as long as I can actually use it for a number of other games. I did buy the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (which owns bones) for Elite and it was worth the price of admission for me.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Popete posted:

But the two chocolates are actually poop

American chocolate, eh!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

OK maybe $1400?

I have a 1080 TI now which should be decent enough and the headsets are what $600?

Hmm you've actually made a good point. I'm going to pledge now.

EDIT: My real point is I'm down to spend cash on something for one game as long as I can actually use it for a number of other games. I did buy the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (which owns bones) for Elite and it was worth the price of admission for me.

I got a Rift S the other day for my wife to play BeatSaber on so I repurchased Elite Dangerous on the PC to try it on that as well. Gonna try new X-wing game as well I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

OK maybe $1400?

i'm on a 980ti and most vr games work fine, 1080ti is fine