Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

But then... where the gently caress is Makna forest? Why is it mostly level ground with a river running through it in such a deep canyon? Why is it so hot? There's a great opportunity to say, "this is inside of the Bionis's open mouth" and just fix the skybox, but instead it's just "there's a jungle somewhere" with no real sense of connection to anything.
Yeah you never get a good look how the Bionis looks from behind but the Smash trophy lets you look around and get a sense how it works. This was always the case, but you can't really see it from in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

So, the ending: So this universe is the result of humans doing a Big Bang? And then Alvis pretty much states this is all happening in a simulation but because Shulk doesn’t know what a computer is it goes completely over his head? What a mess :psyduck:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

MotU posted:

I forget since I originally played it on the Wii, but what quests (besides the Refugee Camp quests) expire before getting Seven?

Refugee Camp stuff expires once you start rebuilding Colony 6; Nothing else expires when (or even before) Seven joins; there's two lockout events that happen as you progress through the Mechonis zone's - the first locks out a few (like, half a dozen) quests that are from that side because you lose the ability to backtrack through a zone. The second is The Big One that results in literally every Alcamoth quest (and a bunch of others too) being marked as "Timed".

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

skull mask mcgee posted:

So, the ending: So this universe is the result of humans doing a Big Bang? And then Alvis pretty much states this is all happening in a simulation but because Shulk doesn’t know what a computer is it goes completely over his head? What a mess :psyduck:

Welcome to the Xenoblade Extended Universe, have a seat, none of it makes sense, but this is literally the glue that kind of holds it together.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

skull mask mcgee posted:

not a simulation, super-advanced folk made a new universe and blew up the old one, zanza/meyneth got to be gods in it because they were closest, alvis was the supercomputer running the whole thing which makes him the real power here. he's the monad to zanza and meyneths demiurge/sophia

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

CaptainPsyko posted:

Welcome to the Xenoblade Extended Universe, have a seat, none of it makes sense, but this is literally the glue that kind of holds it together.

I mean, I appreciate them getting nutty with it. I think my main criticism is that Fiora’s characterization is loving awful. Her existence being centered around Shulk and particularly her last cut scene with Melia were just eye-roll inducing. I’m not expecting much from a JRPG but it sucks anyways. The scenes with Riki still make it worth it. The fishing scene with Reyn was :kimchi:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

skull mask mcgee posted:

I mean, I appreciate them getting nutty with it. I think my main criticism is that Fiora’s characterization is loving awful. Her existence being centered around Shulk and particularly her last cut scene with Melia were just eye-roll inducing. I’m not expecting much from a JRPG but it sucks anyways. The scenes with Riki still make it worth it. The fishing scene with Reyn was :kimchi:

TO be clear, I mean the specific concept you posted is literally the thematic/narrative glue that makes Xeno* a 'coherent' universe where the various games relate to each other in any way whatsoever.

But also, none of it makes sense whatsoever.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I just got to Agniratha and got a pile of quests and feel very close to burning out. I think I’ve done something like 90-95% of the possible quests up to this point. How much of the game is left and how much do I miss out on if I just buckle down and plow through to the end of the game, ignoring most of the Agniratha quests and leaving Colony 6 at level 4?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aerox posted:

I just got to Agniratha and got a pile of quests and feel very close to burning out. I think I’ve done something like 90-95% of the possible quests up to this point. How much of the game is left and how much do I miss out on if I just buckle down and plow through to the end of the game, ignoring most of the Agniratha quests and leaving Colony 6 at level 4?

Boss, chapter that is nothing but cutscenes and like 2 boss fights, one room dungeon + boss, final dungeon + bosses.

Annoyingly in that short span of time the allow you to get the final skill trees for characters and half of them expect you to be like 10 levels higher than the final boss requires while the other half you feel like you could have done whenever.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm starting to get the feeling the reason this game was desired/well regarded was the dearth of rpgs on the wii.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling the reason this game was desired/well regarded was the dearth of rpgs on the wii.

That was the case for me checking it out on Wii, otherwise I wouldn't have given a poo poo. It worked out perfectly that it just happened to end up being a fantastic game though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Barudak posted:

Boss, chapter that is nothing but cutscenes and like 2 boss fights, one room dungeon + boss, final dungeon + bosses.

Annoyingly in that short span of time the allow you to get the final skill trees for characters and half of them expect you to be like 10 levels higher than the final boss requires while the other half you feel like you could have done whenever.

To be fair that one room dungeon is a very large room and the boss is an rear end in a top hat. You’re making it sound shorter than it is. But that plus the final dungeon are about 10% of the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I was waiting for the "I dislike it, the people must've been sheep"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

To be fair that one room dungeon is a very large room and the boss is an rear end in a top hat. You’re making it sound shorter than it is. But that plus the final dungeon are about 10% of the game.

I found the room/boss pretty short but Im probably way over skilled and art leveled versus what the game expected for that point. Beat it first try with 0 ether attacks, level 75, and didn't realize the gimmick until the third time she did it.

The single hardest enemy in the game so far has been anything with spike damage on topple. The hell is wrong with you game spike anything is awful but getting a surprise, you are taking damage now and cant tell your party to stop eating poo poo feels real real real bad.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The game really needed the ability to control your whole party if you want.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

You can tell your party to back off with ZR + Down on the d-pad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scrap Dragon posted:

You can tell your party to back off with ZR + Down on the d-pad.

They wont attack in that formation, even with ranged ether attacks, as far as I can tell.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

yeah if there is a new xenoblade game I really hope it allows more control over your party.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Waltzing Along posted:

Same. It seemed to come at the right place and the right time to make it memorable during the Wii. Now in the context of 2020, the selection of rivals is far bigger, and the decade produced a crop of innovative new RPGs that have done great things with the format.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It wasn't just a drought on the Wii, it was a drought of console JRPGs in general. As many developers scaled back by jumping to the PSP and DS, or scaled back in the way that HD development required, Xenoblade slammed down these massive environments with honest to god exploration.

...but then Skyrim came out like a year later and The Decade Of Open World Crafting happened.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

skull mask mcgee posted:

Pretty tame by Xeno game standards. The other day I noticed the low amount of votes Saga has and started thinking back on it since I remember liking it, but it is the most bonkers out of all the Xeno games. It starts pretty tame with your fight against Space Nazis and Space Ghosts but then it introduces the 4th dimension, peeping God, Space Pope, the collective subconsious, Jesus, vague Nietszsche concepts, Voltron, samurais, the universe's janitor, 2 different forms of time travel, cosmic retcon and blueberry robot waifu all neatly tied and presented in 20+ hours of cutscenes and 2 entire new dictionaries.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
can't we just get back to simple and straightforward stories, like Xenogears?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

skull mask mcgee posted:

At one point I recall there's a record you find of a long-haul expedition, they head out and find absolutely nothing-- there's no more to the world than the creation myth leads you to see. Inhabitants get some details wrong and Bionis dwellers generally can't appreciate the larger history for Zanza-driven reasons.

The reason that it was oddly made this way is due to two warring ideologies left over after a wild experiment goes wrong. Zanza was an overly ambitious if insecure know-it-all type, and that leads to problems for the universe.

If you played XC2 it redoes/elaborates on the catalyst a bit, and makes Alvis effectively a third aegis-level blade along with Mythra and Malos. The experiment is also triggered earlier than intended during a war as a failed gambit during an attack on the laboratory..

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just finished it and I stick by my statement, this games story declines continuously in quality from the moment Xord shows up to the end

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Barudak posted:

Just finished it and I stick by my statement, this games story declines continuously in quality from the moment Xord shows up to the end

Says more about what a high point Xord’s hamming things up is TBQH.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Where actually is is the final point of no return before the final boss? I'm at the point where I can take Junks into the Bionis chest and from playing the game before I vaguely remember returning to prison island after that. I've got a bunch of sidequests to do but I want to progress the story as much as I can before that.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Starsnostars posted:

Where actually is is the final point of no return before the final boss? I'm at the point where I can take Junks into the Bionis chest and from playing the game before I vaguely remember returning to prison island after that. I've got a bunch of sidequests to do but I want to progress the story as much as I can before that.

It’s pretty far in, and one of your party members is literally like “yo we can’t go back after this point, you sure you’re ready?” when you get there.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Waltzing Along posted:

The amazing setting is what got me. I'll admit that on newer tech it feels like you could do more with it but at the time it did everything it could. It also plays really different to anything else - it's a bit like a single player MMOG which in many ways is really good. And not in the sense of a Bethesda game where the main story almost doesn't exist. Don't get me wrong - it's insane in this but it's still a big part of the game and you don't "lose it" bethesda style.

I don't think it's possible to express how much loving harder the original game was and how much it wasted your time though. Collection quests were rock hard and would take forever even with guides. Even knowing people HAD quests for you wasn't clear.

Barudak posted:

I like it getting wilder and wilder. The only thing I don't like is that the past of the game doesn't QUITE tie together for me. As I've mentioned above.

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 15, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Taear posted:

I don't think it's possible to express how much loving harder the original game was and how much it wasted your time though. Collection quests were rock hard and would take forever even with guides. Even knowing people HAD quests for you wasn't clear.

I'm guessing NPCs didn't have "!" on the map and critters/quest items didn't either?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
NPCs did IIRC but only on the mini map. And that was so tiny it was hard to make things out.

It was aslo harder to know when and where someone would be unless you tracked it on a separate spreadsheet like the ones that have been made.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm guessing NPCs didn't have "!" on the map and critters/quest items didn't either?

NPCs didn't show up on the map at all.
And yes to the latter, NPC Quests did show up iirc.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

One thing I have noticed on this playthrough is the game only just barely passes the bechdel test. Every major female character is defined by their attachments to men, to a ludicrous extent in Seven's case. Kinda sucks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The bonus DLC isnt as good as Torna, but once again cutting the amount of trash you have access to and intermediary steps to what you want are only good things, could you please make Xenoblade 3 with this in mind from the outset?

I am getting a good laugh at how much deeper melia's voice actress's voice is now and that they didnt rerecord all her battle lines so in combat she jumps an octave.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

multijoe posted:

One thing I have noticed on this playthrough is the game only just barely passes the bechdel test. Every major female character is defined by their attachments to men, to a ludicrous extent in Seven's case. Kinda sucks.

Yea. Don't play the second game. That's absolutely definitely worse.

Meyneth at least isn't defined by her attachment to men.

Barudak posted:

I am getting a good laugh at how much deeper melia's voice actress's voice is now and that they didnt rerecord all her battle lines so in combat she jumps an octave.

Jenna Coleman sounds the same, but I think she's a bit more yorkshire in her battle cries which is weird. Like she forgot the voice she was meant to be doing rather than her voice changed.

I do really want Xenoblade 3 to come out. While this game is fun to replay I guess the big draw for me in these games is seeing all the new insane places and while they're prettier now they're still the same places, so it's not as exciting for me.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

multijoe posted:

And Melia? She's defined primarily by her role and duties as future Empress (yes, Shulk, her father and brother are major influences in her plot, but they absolutely aren't the center of her character).

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 15, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

And Melia? She's defined primarily by her role and duties as future Empress (yes, her father and brother are major influences in her plot, but they absolutely aren't the center of her character).

Melia actually comes out best of the main cast imo, but two of her main plot threads are still her unrequited love for Shulk and her brother getting done during the ceremony of destruction and recreation.

Xeno 2 is awful with the whole harem setup between Rex, Pyra, Mythra and Nia, but it at least has Morag and Brighid who are cool.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

multijoe posted:

Melia actually comes out best of the main cast imo, but two of her main plot threads are still her unrequited love for Shulk and her brother getting done during the ceremony of destruction and recreation.

Xeno 2 is awful with the whole harem setup between Rex, Pyra, Mythra and Nia, but it at least has Morag and Brighid who are cool.

Wow don’t forget about Poppi

And uh that one female villain

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The weirdest bit about the Melia story is Tyrea when she flies away. They can FLY with those wings?? Why does nobody else do that?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Wow don’t forget about Poppi

And uh that one female villain

Patroka is what happens when Rinoa from FF8 accidentally gets time-compressed into a different franchise and turns stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Taear posted:

The weirdest bit about the Melia story is Tyrea when she flies away. They can FLY with those wings?? Why does nobody else do that?

That entire cutscene I was like "they are absolutely going to cut away because that would look too stupid to- oh, oh no theyre doing it"