Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

According to the article they paid the couple £55,000 and the lawyers £145,000

instead of pointing out my error you should go check this out

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1272469480006979584?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

East Yorkshire is basically Somerset as far as I'm concerned. Might as well be in Africa. Pretty sure the british Antarctic territory is closer.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Egyptian LGBTQI activist commits suicide at home in Canada where she was seeking political asylum.

https://egyptianstreets.com/2020/06/14/egyptian-lgbtqi-activist-sara-hegazy-dies-aged-30-in-canada/

quote:

Egyptian LGBTQI+ Activist Sara Hegazy Dies Aged 30 in Canada

According to various news outlets, young LGBTQI+ activist Sarah Hegazy, was found dead in her home in Canada, where she lived in exile since 2018.

Authorities have ruled that Hegazy met her death through suicide, having left behind a letter that reads:

“To my siblings – I tried to find redemption and failed, forgive me. To my friends – the experience [journey] was harsh and I am too weak to resist it, forgive me. To the world – you were cruel to a great extent, but I forgive.”

The reports of the suicide were confirmed by her lawyer Khaled Al-Masry.

Hegazy rose to prominence following her arrest for her role in the famed rainbow flag incident in which a rare show of public show for the LGBTQI+ community sparked backlash in the largely Muslim, conservative country.

Egyptian authorities arrested up to 57 people – with Hegazy believed to be the only woman in the roundup- in a campaign against the LGBT community after rainbow flags were raised at the concert of Mashrou’ Leila whose vocalist, Hamed Sinno, is openly gay and stands for the rights of homosexuals.

Along with Ahmed Alaa, Hegazzy was arrested with charges of “promoting sexual deviancy and debauchery.”

“It was an act of support and solidarity — not only with the [Mashrou’ Leila] vocalist but for everyone who is oppressed,” Al Hegazy had said to NPR.

“We were proud to hold the flag. We wouldn’t have imagined the reaction of society and the Egyptian state. For them, I was a criminal — someone who was seeking to destroy the moral structure of society.”

Although the iconic and queer activist was eventually freed on bail, her three-month experience in prison had been physically and emotionally taxing, leading to a development of severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and a failed suicide attempt.

Eventually both Alaa and El Hegazy sought asylum in Canada where they had been living in the last couple of years.

Following news of the suicide, Hegazy’s name started trending on social media and many commended her vocal role in supporting the LGBTQI+ community despite public backlash.

Egyptian prisons aren't like the prisons here. Without a doubt she would have been forced to undergo numerous 'virginity' tests and other indignities. (Why I can't bring myself to visit the Egyptian Museum in Tahrir Sq anymore - the army used the basement there to torture protestors and do 'virginity' tests on female protestors during the revolution.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 15, 2020

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Because it's based on what the population density and energy needs are going to look like in a decade, rather than now. It's also based on building a synchronous grid for ECOWAS, not just bunging a random BWR outside of Kpetoe and calling it a day.

There's nothing stopping you from using renewables as a stop gap, but the energy needs of the Gulf of Guinea in the next couple of decades or so are predicted to become a real tipping point issue.

I think you are wildly overestimating the extent of generation capacity and distribution that already exists. Getting supply up as quickly as possible to come anywhere close to meeting the current demand would be massively more transformative than worrying about potential demand in two decades. The idea of it being a tipping point in two decades doesn't make much sense in the context of it being a need that is being massively under-served right now already.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Egyptian LGBTQI activist commits suicide at home in Canada where she was seeking political asylum.

https://egyptianstreets.com/2020/06/14/egyptian-lgbtqi-activist-sara-hegazy-dies-aged-30-in-canada/

Egyptian prisons aren't like the prisons here. Without a doubt she would have been forced to undergo numerous 'virginity' tests and other indignities. (Why I can't bring myself to visit the Egyptian Museum in Tahrir Sq anymore - the army used the basement there to torture protestors and do 'virginity' tests on female protestors during the revolution.

Ugh that's so sad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

I think you are wildly overestimating the extent of generation capacity and distribution that already exists. Getting supply up as quickly as possible to come anywhere close to meeting the current demand would be massively more transformative than worrying about potential demand in two decades. The idea of it being a tipping point in two decades doesn't make much sense in the context of it being a need that is being massively under-served right now already.
I've no argument with it being an underserved need right now, but factoring population growth and migration to the coast, the entire region is going to need some kind of big push for combined energy infrastructure over the coming decade.

Renewables and distributed power solutions and storage are good too, Ghana has recently built small and moderate solar facilities and is looking to build more, but the reason I picked them as an example was because they're actively pushing for nuclear development for the long haul.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this bot throws up some truly confusing voters

https://twitter.com/VoterBritish/status/1272421165085138944?s=20
https://twitter.com/VoterBritish/status/1272390949117845505?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Munin posted:

[edit] Heck, if ITER is more or less on schedule and works as designed we would have a fusion device that could in theory produce power if the equipment was built into it to do so.
I didn't know Nigel Farage's brother worked in fusion research :v:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jose posted:

lol cops forced to pay the couple they arrested over the gatwick drone 200k

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-53041256

quote:

No-one has ever been charged, and police have said that some reported drone sightings may have been Sussex Police's own craft.

Someone needs to follow the cops around playing the Benny Hill theme.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Thats a rather...simplistic view of what went down in the 17th century. Firstly by assuming Charles' personal rule was anything like Louis XVI's in effectiveness or legitimacy and secondly by assuming it could have become so if he'd won. England and France were very different places.

That’s very much my point; when you drop down to the level of detail where you are talking about individual rulers, or even single nations and centuries, then material reality is not doing much more than enumerating the possibilities. Charles might, or might not, have been able to establish a personal state; there is no such doubt over whether he would have been able to establish a welfare state.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

bessantj posted:

Someone needs to follow the cops around playing the Benny Hill theme.

I enjoyed the (now retracted) part where they were saying there might not have been any drones at all.

Also, I went to the office the for the first time since February the other day, which meant I finally got round to listening to the podcast in the car. Great job podsters! I will have to catch up/keep up from now on.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I did some work with the UK fusion lab and its cool stuff but doesn't look ready to go any time soon.
The head guy didn't seem to know the science though so couldn't explain to me how, if it's currently too expensive to be worth it, making it EVEN MORE expensive by building a much bigger one would cross some threshold and make fusion worthwhile.

Also did some work at the UK space agency and its the most run down govmt building I've ever been in, we spent the whole day discussing the state of UK launch capabilities which were trying to set up. Loads of smart young people working on the problem though unsure why.
At the end of the day after all the workers had left one of the clients said "we will never launch you know, it's just a vanity project for an MP who has moved on"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

I did some work with the UK fusion lab and its cool stuff but doesn't look ready to go any time soon.
The head guy didn't seem to know the science though so couldn't explain to me how, if it's currently too expensive to be worth it, making it EVEN MORE expensive by building a much bigger one would cross some threshold and make fusion worthwhile.

Also did some work at the UK space agency and its the most run down govmt building I've ever been in, we spent the whole day discussing the state of UK launch capabilities which were trying to set up. Loads of smart young people working on the problem though unsure why.
At the end of the day after all the workers had left one of the clients said "we will never launch you know, it's just a vanity project for an MP who has moved on"

You absolutely must listen to this old (1962) Men from the Ministry radio episode: "The Big Rocket". Nothing changes.

https://www.mixcloud.com/classicradio/the-men-from-the-ministry-621106-s01e02-the-big-rocket/

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

quote:

Greg Dulson, 68 was shopping for a new watch strap.

What the gently caress is wrong with people. It’s a G-Shock watch, buy a replacement strap online. If you order it from the right place they send you screwdrivers to do it too.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Anyone know anything about trademarks?

This guy has submitted applications to the Intellectual Property Office to trademark:

I can't breathe (for apparel, charity bracelets, fundraising)

Black Lives Matter (for apparel)

In a range of fonts/capitalisations.

https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmowner/page/search?id=1380105&domain=1

I guess they might be legit claims.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oodles posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people. It’s a G-Shock watch, buy a replacement strap online. If you order it from the right place they send you screwdrivers to do it too.
Sounds like he was going to get his watch back, which he didn't have.

quote:

Greg Dulson, 68 was shopping for a new watch strap.

"The strap on my favourite watch broke and I brought it in to the watchmaker's the day before lockdown," he said.

"They said come back tomorrow but it was closed!"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bigger reaction volume means it doesn't need to be quite so crazy hot and energetic, so you have more plasma, and its easier to control, I think.

(Source: went for a tour of JET when I was 14)

(Also they have a pair of 300 tonne concrete flywheels that they use as an energy store, because pulling that much electricty at once would do terrible terrible things to the national grid)

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This guy has submitted applications to the Intellectual Property Office to trademark:

Someone really wants their factory burnt down for insurance reasons and decided to outsource it?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Bigger reaction volume means it doesn't need to be quite so crazy hot and energetic, so you have more plasma, and its easier to control, I think.

(Source: went for a tour of JET when I was 14)

(Also they have a pair of 300 tonne concrete flywheels that they use as an energy store, because pulling that much electricty at once would do terrible terrible things to the national grid)

thats where i was, nice!

a part of me really does love british science, its one of the only public sectors i've seen with my own eyes (and crashed out of as an academic) that we should be proud of.

its going to be completely undone overnight by brexit, its hilarious. every single scientist says the same, they literally can't do these experiments without european cooperation so they will just move country to where they can. wherever I went half the staff were european and were planning on moving back if brexit happened, and they were bringing the other half with them

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

its going to be completely undone overnight by brexit, its hilarious. every single scientist says the same, they literally can't do these experiments without european cooperation so they will just move country to where they can. wherever I went half the staff were european and were planning on moving back if brexit happened, and they were bringing the other half with them

Yeah at the biotech company where I worked I'd guess 2/3 of the research staff were from non-UK EU countries. Doubtless the people already working there will be able to stay, but the recruiting pool is going to be vastly smaller.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

These are almost certainly (without even bothering to look) nuisance trademarks designed such that he can sue people using those slogans.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I suspect that they're be rejected anyway but hopefully lots of people will be filing objects.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/objecting-to-other-peoples-trade-marks-and-the-legal-costs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Desiderata posted:

Someone really wants their factory burnt down for insurance reasons and decided to outsource it?
Registered by Georgios Demetriou, Licence to Thrill Ltd.

Licence to Thrill Ltd., Stephen Demetrious, traders in Airguns, Ammunition, Black Powder Guns, Clothing...

Someone really wants their factory and the surrounding block asploded.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

instead of pointing out my error you should go check this out

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1272469480006979584?s=20

Huh, I didn't know they were even still flying the F-15.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Guavanaut posted:

Licence to Thrill Ltd.,
But I suspect not licenced to file their accounts late....

edit: google turned up that one of the trading names of Licence to Thrill Ltd is https://www.farbgel.com/. I think he's missed a trick by not including his trade mark claim to cover a I Can't Breath self-defence spray...

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 15, 2020

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

thats where i was, nice!

a part of me really does love british science, its one of the only public sectors i've seen with my own eyes (and crashed out of as an academic) that we should be proud of.

Did you see the giant flywheels?

Nuclear physics is hard, but I can fully comprehend "big rock go spin"

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like he was going to get his watch back, which he didn't have.

I retract my outrage.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-53049348

quote:

A Policing Board member is calling for the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) to explain a "difference in approach" to recent demonstrations.

Police issued a total of 68 fines at anti-racism demonstrations in Belfast and Londonderry earlier this month

There were 57 fines issued in Derry, while in Belfast 11 were handed out.

No fines were issued at a "protect our statues" protest outside Belfast City Hall on Saturday.

Very typical for the PSNI to treat the Big Heavy Lads with kid gloves while everyone else gets the robocop treatment :laugh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Huh, I didn't know they were even still flying the F-15.

That's the one with the missiles that cost more than some aircraft that can fire at six different targets at once isn't it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oodles posted:

I retract my outrage.
It's a terrible summary by the article.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I often think about how back in the 50s some bad data had the whole world convinced the UK was on the verge of making fusion work. What a wild time that must have been.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZETA_(fusion_reactor)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

That's the one with the missiles that cost more than some aircraft that can fire at six different targets at once isn't it?

I think you've got that confused with something in Ace Combat, but <furious Wiki-ing> it can carry 8 AMRAAMs and has a radar capable of tracking and guiding 8 targets simultaneously, but even a million bucks apiece that's still only half the cost of a second-hand MiG-29. The nearest I can think of to what you're talking about was one of those semi-Clancywank concepts where they repurposed a cruise missile as a carrier for a bunch of Sidewinders to plug the gap caused by the Sparrow being so completely poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looking it up I was thinking of the F14, which is currently operated by the Iranian air force and in US service fired I think three missiles which all missed.

Unit price half a million dollars (presumably in 1966 money which would be just shy of four million dollars nowadays :v:)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Looking it up I was thinking of the F14, which is currently operated by the Iranian air force and in US service fired I think three missiles which all missed.

Iranian F-14s did pretty well in the Iran-Iraq war though, IIRC.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They bloody wanted to for how much they cost :v:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think you've got that confused with something in Ace Combat, but <furious Wiki-ing> it can carry 8 AMRAAMs and has a radar capable of tracking and guiding 8 targets simultaneously, but even a million bucks apiece that's still only half the cost of a second-hand MiG-29. The nearest I can think of to what you're talking about was one of those semi-Clancywank concepts where they repurposed a cruise missile as a carrier for a bunch of Sidewinders to plug the gap caused by the Sparrow being so completely poo poo.

I think OwlFancier might be confusing fighter jet missiles with the MIRV ICBMs that can seperate into 8 nuclear warheads instead of just putting it all into the centre of a city? Although those aren't fired from planes, they're just space rockets, since that's why we really made those things in the first place, to kill people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nah I'm thinking of this thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-54_Phoenix

quote:

The AIM-54 Phoenix is a radar-guided, long-range air-to-air missile (AAM), carried in clusters of up to six missiles on the Grumman F-14 Tomcat, its only operational launch platform. The Phoenix was the United States' only long-range air-to-air missile. The combination of Phoenix missile and the AN/AWG-9 guidance radar was the first aerial weapons system that could simultaneously engage multiple targets.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

No, no, no, you see, it's a different barely functional over-engineered waste of time and money military dick-waving project.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Guavanaut posted:

Registered by Georgios Demetriou, Licence to Thrill Ltd.

Licence to Thrill Ltd., Stephen Demetrious, traders in Airguns, Ammunition, Black Powder Guns, Clothing...

Someone really wants their factory and the surrounding block asploded.

Wow this is the crappy nu-metal/posters/airguns shop between the Arndale and Affleks in the Northern-quarter Manchester. I was joking but this genuinely could be a half-hearted attempt at insurance fraud, that plot is probably worth more than their stock of studded bracelets and slipknot hoodies. Wouldn't be the first for the Northern-quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, though, it's wild how much better the Tomcat and Phoenix performed once Iran got their hands on them.

quote:

Following the overthrow of the Shah in 1979, the air force was renamed the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) and the post-revolution Interim Government of Iran canceled most Western arms orders. In 1980, an Iranian F-14 shot down an Iraqi Mil Mi-25 helicopter for its first air-to-air kill during the Iran–Iraq War (1980–1988). According to research by Tom Cooper, Iranian F-14s scored at least 50 air-to-air victories in the first six months of the war against Iraqi MiG-21s, MiG-23s, and some Su-20s/22s. During the same period, only one Iranian F-14 suffered damage after being hit by debris from a nearby MiG-21 that exploded.

The Iraqis got stomped so hard by the Tomcats that they ended up buying Mirages from France specifically to kill them. The Mirages indeed manage to shoot down three F-14s... but the Tomcats shot down thirty of them in return.