Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My boss at $AWFUL_JOB asked us to sign up for a bunch of fake accounts (named for our clients) and astroturf a tech website that had a forum thread that was critical of our company. I did not, but we had a lot of arguments about it. He assured me there was nothing unethical or dishonest about it. :rolleyes:

You should have done it, but 'accidentally' left a company email address in a profile field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Do it just command an increased billing rate or Unofficial Company Sponsored Gift for the time spent on it to offset the ethical concern.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Moo the cow posted:

You should have done it, but 'accidentally' left a company email address in a profile field.

Should have done it and BCC'd each client you were pretending to be on each post.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I was getting rid of a pair of gigE switches that I had lying around so I posted them on our local Buy Nothing FB group.

Since switches are like, what - twenty bucks now? - I wasn’t expecting much but I got a few nibbles, one was from a lady who said “I’m having problems with my WiFi. Will this help with that?”

“I have no idea, it depends on your network, your house construction, your cabling. There’s no way for me to know.”

“If I said yes to one of these switches, would you bring it over and have a look and set things up so everything works right?”

“Uh, I think you’d be better off hiring a high school kid to set everything up for you.”

“Yes but you know what you are doing. [We’ve never met. I’m just getting rid of two switches.] I’d feel better if you came over.”

“I’m pretty expensive...”

“How much? I can pay you twenty dollars.”

“My going rate is one hundred dollars an hour, four hour minimum.”

“WHAT?!? That is ridiculous! That is highway robbery! Extortion! You should be ashamed-“

*block*

Postscript: it ended up being a high schooler who came over and picked up both. No hassle, no fuss.

Sometimes Buy Nothing is as bad as CraigsList.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 14, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's some sort of brain disease that floats around local Facebook groups and free advertising pages. I was giving away a 19" Trinitron CRT in 2004 and people wanted me to deliver it for free.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Screenshot it and post it on reddit for unlimited internet fame, there's an entire community over there mocking idiots like that.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Agrikk posted:

I was getting rid of a pair of gigE switches that I had lying around so I posted them on our local Buy Nothing FB group.

Since switches are like, what - twenty bucks now? - I wasn’t expecting much but I got a few nibbles, one was from a lady who said “I’m having problems with my WiFi. Will this help with that?”

“I have no idea, it depends on your network, your house construction, your cabling. There’s no way for me to know.”

“If I said yes to one of these switches, would you bring it over and have a look and set things up so everything works right?”

“Uh, I think you’d be better off hiring a high school kid to set everything up for you.”

“Yes but you know what you are doing. [We’ve never met. I’m just getting rid of two switches.] I’d feel better if you came over.”

“I’m pretty expensive...”

“How much? I can pay you twenty dollars.”

“My going rate is one hundred dollars an hour, four hour minimum.”

“WHAT?!? That is ridiculous! That is highway robbery! Extortion! You should be ashamed-“

*block*

Postscript: it ended up being a high schooler who came over and picked up both. No hassle, no fuss.

Sometimes Buy Nothing is as bad as CraigsList.

Just put it on ebay as a 0.99 beginning auction and post it when it eventually sells for $9 or something.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

loving goddamn. I haven't done a 9 AM to 3 AM stint in forever and I don't need to again anytime soon.

Dear Microsoft, you stupid assholes, why did you deprecate DirectAccess (OK, technically it's alive for a few years, whatever, it's clearly on the list for a bullet) in favor of something supremely more lovely? Always-On VPN is a gigantic mess and the worst part about it by far is the loving deployment, if you don't have InTune or SCCM, which are clearly what Microsoft is hoping to drive customers towards. To wit, if you don't have those and want to deploy an Always-On VPN device tunnel, it requires a bastard abomination of a witches brew involving Powershell, XML, and WMI, that has to be run as the LOCAL SYSTEM account (which Microsoft's own documentation just gives up with and says yeah use PSExec that's all we got :shrug:)

Oh and don't forget the bullshit that is "unlike DirectAccess, Always-On VPN does not require Windows 10 Enterprise!except for device tunnels you know the bit that actually makes it comparable to DirectAccess instead of just being another user-level VPN that happens to launch automatically, yeah that bit, if you want device tunnels you need Enterprise OK gently caress you".

That would have been bad enough, but it turns out there's a "bug" in Windows 10 that's been there since at least 1903, and Microsoft doesn't seem intent on fixing it. Specifically, if you don't have telemetry enabled (registry key in HKLM) and these two services running:

Connected User Experiences and Telemetry
Device Management Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) Push message Routing Service

Then your VPN profile creation script that you've carefully imported your XML into and are running in a cmd prompt under the SYSTEM account will just fail. I mean, the script TELLS you everything went fine, but the profile doesn't get created and the WAN Miniport IKEv2 network adapter doesn't get created. It took me loving forever to figure this out because turning off telemetry was in a PDQ nested package in my main package being run during MDT, and I didn't think of that being an issue until I was disabling things one by one in the task sequence and lo and behold after disabling the entire PDQ package the profile creation worked, at which point I looked closer, but in my defense, why THE gently caress DOES DISABLING TELEMETRY BREAK VPN MICROSOFT YOU GIGANTIC FUCKWADS.

The other part about all this that just feels...off...is that it's this terrible combination of ancient Microsoft technologies from Server 2003 and slightly newer things like Powershell. If you're terminating the connections with the Microsoft VPN server, then it's just RRAS, i.e. the VPN server I learned about in when doing my MCSE and even then was like "no one ever uses this do they", but no, years later I suddenly find myself using it. Ick.

The only saving grace is that some bright spark figured out that if you run a scheduled task as SYSTEM that fires on a network connection event, then because the VPN connection is in fact an ancient technology it can be started by running rasdial.exe and feeding it the profile. Which means that even on Win10 Pro, you can have Device Tunnels since that scheduled task just fires whenever it sees a connection pop up, and the tunnel just connects. So that's nice, and so far is surprisingly robust for such a ridiculous hack (although to be fair, whatever Microsoft is doing in Enterprise is literally the same thing just built into the OS, so whatever).

But yeah Microsoft gets a hearty gently caress you from me this week, this was some bullshit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is anybody else using Asana with SAML SSO? I have it configured along with a ton of other apps in our Azure AD Premium tenant, but Asana seems to timeout every 7 days and require people to log back in again. Not an issue on desktop as it's literally one click, or if accessed through the My Apps link that gets deployed to people's desktops then they never see a login prompt as it's IdP-initiated.

For mobile apps though, it's a full Azure AD login workflow including MFA, which just involves answering a push notification but is still not as smooth as I'd like. I can see why the SSO sessions timeout, but 7 days is a bit aggressive. Asana support say the 7 day number is coming from Azure AD, but I can't see anything in the portal where this can be changed, and no other SAML apps I use show the same behaviour.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Is anybody else using Asana with SAML SSO? I have it configured along with a ton of other apps in our Azure AD Premium tenant, but Asana seems to timeout every 7 days and require people to log back in again. Not an issue on desktop as it's literally one click, or if accessed through the My Apps link that gets deployed to people's desktops then they never see a login prompt as it's IdP-initiated.

For mobile apps though, it's a full Azure AD login workflow including MFA, which just involves answering a push notification but is still not as smooth as I'd like. I can see why the SSO sessions timeout, but 7 days is a bit aggressive. Asana support say the 7 day number is coming from Azure AD, but I can't see anything in the portal where this can be changed, and no other SAML apps I use show the same behaviour.

I think we're using it with Google SSO, but nothing self-managed. That said I think 14 days is the session timeout for us.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I just had a user complain that Gmail/Gsuite doesn't provide enough fonts in the Compose window.

If we usd Outlook they would probably have a pink background and be using Comic Sans.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We've had a host that can't register with DNS for almost two weeks. I caught it as an escalation, did the usual things, and opened a ticket with Global Networking. They wind up escalating to a vendor, who discovers that some strict name checking functionality was turned on and rejecting the underscore in the hostname. As a former BIND 9 admin, I weep for a multinational with 130,000 endpoints that doesn't keep a DNS expert on staff.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Super Soaker Party! posted:

But yeah Microsoft gets a hearty gently caress you from me this week, this was some bullshit.

This is the modern Microsoft I know and love!

At least some sort of always-on VPN seems to be supported in Azure now? For the longest time it wasn't. Also, Microsoft's P2S VPN in Azure is just atrocious. I ended up spinning up an OpenVPN server instead. Much happier.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I looked at the P2S VPN because we already had the gateway for some site-to-site stuff but there's limitations on whether you can transit through to other subnets depending on the platform you're connecting from I didn't want the user experience to go from passable to flat out broken based on the device people connected from.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

stevewm posted:

I just had a user complain that Gmail/Gsuite doesn't provide enough fonts in the Compose window.

If we usd Outlook they would probably have a pink background and be using Comic Sans.

Purple, size 19 comic sans, all lower case, very little punctuation.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pissing me off: "well can't we just have a zoom meeting for this?"

The "meeting" took nearly a half hour as this stupid gently caress from sales rambled on and on about completely unrelated poo poo and the one question they actually asked that was pertinent was answerable with one word ("yes").

Jesus gently caress I wish people would just type poo poo like normal people. 95% of the phone calls and zooms I have to deal with have no need to be voice-based communication.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah the move to everybody working from home has resulted in two line emails being half an hour video conferences booked out two days in advance

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Pisses me off everyone wants a webcam for remote work/meetings when the equivalent of a phone conference accomplishes the same thing 95% of the time

No fighting human vanity, everybody wants their face plastered everywhere

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

klosterdev posted:

Pisses me off everyone wants a webcam for remote work/meetings when the equivalent of a phone conference accomplishes the same thing 95% of the time

No, it's lovely managers demanding to be able to look at their serfdom now that they can't roam the halls anymore.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Hey pal, sorry your laptop's SSD fried itself. You had cloud backups right....?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As a manager, I would be perfectly fine with audio only 100% of the time. It's been my direct reports who want actual face time.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Much as I like and respect you guys, if you do anything to jeopardise my using videoconferencing instead of a physical meeting, I am going to cut you.

My quarterly meeting usually requires getting up an hour earlier, driving 1.5 hrs, then enduring 4 hours on a hard seat, in business attire, pretending to pay attention to a series of tedious presenters, making small talk with people I actively dislike, then drive back home again, exhausted.

Instead, I wake up 10mins before the call, flatten hair down with water, put on the unironed polo shirt above sweatpants, dial into the call, then turn off my camera and mic for the next 3 hours and play video games with one ear open in case something interesting is mentioned.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

https://twitter.com/jdaiey/status/1272643998432350208?s=21

i bet this isn't a DDOS.

i bet it's DNS.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Joshua/WOPR: Shall we play a game?
David: Oh!
Jennifer: I think it missed him.
David: Yeah. Weird isn't it? Love to. How about Global Thermonuclear War.
Joshua/WOPR: Wouldn't you prefer a good game of chess?
David: Later. Let's play Global Thermonuclear War.
Joshua/WOPR: Fine.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

loving Orange. I am on site swapping a router for a local subsidiary of a big multi-National Corp. Simple router swap. This is the third visit to the site for this job. I have been here for nearly four hours this time. The tech from Orange can’t seem to get the configuration right. I get to occasionally watch him remote on to my laptop to mis-type commands into the console. Or sit here waiting for some form of communication from them. Four hours on site doing nothing while these guys bumble around their own network trying to get it to work. I have already missed lunch because of these useless people I sure as hell am not staying passed home time.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

klosterdev posted:

I don't loving understand this poo poo. Who wants to have a visual record of what they're doing broadcast to the rest of the call? I don't even mean "haha time to play vidya games lolz!", but I'm typically doing a billion things at once and devoting half my attention to the call, less if I'm not one of the main people on it. If there's a loving camera pointed at me I gotta pretend like I'm always talking to the camera - it's a complete waste of time.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I have two USB cameras, not including the [taped over] one on my laptop. My boss sent me the first one when I kept logging into my meeting audio-only. It’s still in the box, so my team lead decided to send me one to hook up. It’s still in the box too.

No way I’m shaving, showering, changing for these stupid meetings.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I usually like having the camera on. It helps to be able to see people laughing/nodding/looking worried/opening their mouths to speak. Plus being able to view myself during a conversation pretty much gets rid of my normal social anxiety, which is a bonus I didn’t predict. I will openly zone out and start doing something else on cam though, if you’re still looking at the screen nobody can tell anyway

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I usually like having the camera on. It helps to be able to see people laughing/nodding/looking worried/opening their mouths to speak. Plus being able to view myself during a conversation pretty much gets rid of my normal social anxiety, which is a bonus I didn’t predict. I will openly zone out and start doing something else on cam though, if you’re still looking at the screen nobody can tell anyway

....do you not have multiple monitors?

....get multiple monitors.

Not trying to be a dick. Seriously, get multiple monitors, it's the only way to fly.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Oh yeah lol that’s a good point. I have multiple monitors on my personal machine and I’d go mad if I didn’t, but even in the office I usually found myself using my laptop screen and ignoring the second monitor (I never even turned the third on!). If I’m totally honest it’s probably because the work is easy and I rarely feel the need to have a reference/chat/anything else up for long periods of time. So yeah, no, I am just staring into one screen all the time, ymmv

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Super Soaker Party! posted:

....do you not have multiple monitors?

....get multiple monitors.

Not trying to be a dick. Seriously, get multiple monitors, it's the only way to fly.

Or get a 34" 21:9 ultra wide on a swing arm and never look back. I have 3 Spaces set up (macOS) one for my Python IDE and references/ebooks, one for work things like Office and RDP/ssh and one for faffing about online and messaging apps. It's glorious and I just swipe back and forth as needed to the different workspaces as needed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Literally just got Blackberry UEM setup and started moving people over from Good, because our instance ends at the beginning of next month.

"Hey can you do this Airwatch demo?"

:(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"No"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Trying to be more open and agreeable otherwise I would just say no. Not super busy right now plus COVID. On one hand it might be a waste of time but on the other hand it might be much better....

The dumb part of it is we've already had UEM for over a year, someone started to set it up at some point but never finished it. So there was this huge push to get moved over before Good went EOL.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Bob Morales posted:

Literally just got Blackberry UEM setup and started moving people over from Good, because our instance ends at the beginning of next month.

"Hey can you do this Airwatch demo?"

:(

I administered Good back in 2006 on a fleet of Palm Treos before the office switched to Blackberry in 2009. I hadn't thought about that software in eleven years until yesterday, then today I read your post about it.

Wasn't a bad product. We had it running on a dedicated Windows 2000 host hooked up to a T1 and we usually had more problems with the Exchange server.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Phone rings. It's the IT director!

"Hey, can you go over to the executive conference room and help ____?"

Uhh sure.

Are these people just coddled so much that they don't need to call the help desk? This is something they can fix in 30 seconds. But they call the drat IT Director, who was apparently driving somewhere and then has to call us?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

grillster posted:

I administered Good back in 2006 on a fleet of Palm Treos before the office switched to Blackberry in 2009. I hadn't thought about that software in eleven years until yesterday, then today I read your post about it.

Wasn't a bad product. We had it running on a dedicated Windows 2000 host hooked up to a T1 and we usually had more problems with the Exchange server.

I think we used BES back then but we had BlackBerries for phones too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bob Morales posted:

Trying to be more open and agreeable otherwise I would just say no. Not super busy right now plus COVID. On one hand it might be a waste of time but on the other hand it might be much better....

The dumb part of it is we've already had UEM for over a year, someone started to set it up at some point but never finished it. So there was this huge push to get moved over before Good went EOL.

Never had UES but we did have BEZ.
I can say hands down that you cannot get any worse than Airwatch. It is complete garbage and needlessly complicated.
I regularly bitched about it in the IT 3.0 thread.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Fool posted:

No, it's lovely managers demanding to be able to look at their serfdom now that they can't roam the halls anymore.

That or colleagues who get irrationally pissy when your camera's off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Not that we have any requirements for having cameras on for meetings, but once we we got sent home due to covid I stopped getting dressed before noon and just throw on a bath robe. I was very vocal about that fact, then turned my camera on for a minute during a our morning team stand up. Never gonna have to turn it on now!