Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

The 7th Guest posted:

Also, if you're looking into playing games released this year, for your "best of 2020" list or what have you, these games were released this year, at least going by the itch.io details for the games:
Retrace

Incidentally, this one has a Steam key giveaway going on for anyone who bought the BLM bundle.
https://twitter.com/SpiderLilyGames/status/1270654192965820417?s=19

Incidentally-incidentally, and for full disclosure, I made it. It's a little glitchy if you go poking around the edges, but people tell me they like it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If you have a twitter account I'd be very thankful if you retweet this tweet: https://twitter.com/RandomBundle/status/1272241905150107648
Having a way to show items made by BIPOC creators would really help, especially considering the reason behind the bundle.

EDIT: More specific tweet.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 14, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I do not have many followers but I shall boost the signal regardless :)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

They keep adding games, the bundle just hit the 1700+ mark.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

lunar detritus posted:

They keep adding games, the bundle just hit the 1700+ mark.

Just when you thought it was over they went "but wait, there's more!"

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A note to anyone who plays through The Hex through this bundle and is otherwise unaware: it has a "companion" game that's currently only on Steam (it's free to play, though). Worth taking a peek at after you've beaten The Hex, as the context for this little indie fishing game will be clearer. It's not NECESSARY, though.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/792050/Beneath_The_Surface/

Spoilers to both games: There's a hidden ending to The Hex in Beneath The Surface, but you need to do some obscure metagame snooping and sleuthing and even out-of-game file creation in The Hex first... or you can just look up the solution.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Next batch:

The Last Librarian - It's hard to recommend this when Lenna's Inception, Anodyne, and Shipwreck in the bundle, but if you've finished those games and are still looking for a Zelda-like, here's another one. It feels a bit like a VGA MS-DOS Zelda-like, just awkward all around. Thumb inert.

Silver Grapple - Pretty good game! A precision grapple-hook platformer with a Cave Story-esque art style. Definitely technical. There's a speedrun of this at last year's GDQ iirc. Thumbs up

Splinter Zone - A Steam review described this as "MegaMan meets Vlambeer" and I am inclined to agree. Crunchy explosions and screen-shake, big-rear end firepower, very up-tempo. Only thing is that it has to be beaten in one run, one life. THOUGH, it does offer toggleable cheats. Actually, it does it with a fake cracktro opening menu, which is great. It has the sine wave text and everything. Thumbs up, although one-run-one-life games are generally not my thing.

Speer - A competent, adequate puzzle platformer that doesn't seem to be very difficult but does have 100 stages. The mechanic is throwing your speer into a wall to use as a platform. Doesn't do a lot to fight for your attention over other games in this bundle. Thumb inert.

Super Skull Smash Go 2 Turbo - So I made a mistake, this isn't by the DEVELOPER of Halloween Forever, but the PUBLISHER. Which may explain why I liked it a lot more. We have more of a pure platformer here, kinda DOS-like, but pretty cute. You jump on skeletons and then throw them at the level's shrine until all the skeletons have been removed from the level. It just feels better to play. Thumb up.

Visual Out - I follow the Metroidvania Review curator on Steam, usually to find out about weird under the radar metroidvanias that get few or middling reviews, and that's where I first learned about Visual Out. This one's definitely under the radar, most likely due to its abstract and surreal presentation. You're in a computer or.. something. The AI is badgering you as you explore around, but otherwise there is no handholding and no explanation of any gameplay systems aside from when you pick up a new ability. The first one I grabbed let's me grapple on to enemies or items and pull them around. It's a bit lower budget, is a little clunky to control and lacks animations, but it seems really intriguing to me. Thumb up.

Micro Mages - Might be a bit TOO simple, although it's an incredible achievement for a 40kb NES cartridge. Definitely more tailored for playing with other people locally. Cute as heck. Worth a try for the novelty of a modern actual NES game (one that isn't Battle Kid anyway).

Dogurai - Well, this may be the first time a Gameboy-styled game induced Quick Time Events upon me. It seems okay, nothing incredible. Thumb inert.

Eatgirl - Vaporwave, level-based Pacman. Someone other than Namco made a good Pacman, it's only taken 40 years but at least it's here now! Each level introduces new enemy types and hazards. There's also a hub world. This game rules. Thumbs up

Pillars of Dust - I'm always willing to try indie JRPGs that aren't made in RPG Maker. not that RPG Maker games are by themselves bad, but non-RPGM games often come with their own original artwork/music, and sometimes different/unique gameplay systems. This one is mostly by the book after the initial chapter, but there's at least one neat thing, which is that the game outlines optional objectives to complete during the chapter, and tells how you many secrets each chapter has. So you are absolutely encouraged to press the interact button on every pot, bookshelf, and tapestry to see if there might be a hidden item. That pleases some part of my brain so I will probably play this a bit more. Thumb tentatively up, but it's kinda low budget in terms of presentation so bear that in mind.

Total # of Games in Bundle: 1084. Games I'm Not Interested In: 123. Games Played and Not Nulled: 108/961 (11.2%). Games Beaten: 63/99

Next batch should include: Planet Diver, Tamashii, You Died But a Necromancer Revived You, Hyper Sentinel

e: only really notable addition from today's batch was Fossil Echo

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 15, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There's no way to filter games that play in a browser, is there? Doesn't seem like Itch has a tag for it. Would be nice.

(this ain't a feature request for the randombundle site)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you're looking for the html5 and unity tags

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I tried those but it's very hit and miss. I guess many games just aren't tagged much or have a web player, oh well.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Does anybody know where the red key is in Witchway?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

ErrEff posted:

Yeah, I tried those but it's very hit and miss. I guess many games just aren't tagged much or have a web player, oh well.

This could be an option if you haven't tried it yet: https://randombundlegame.com/browse?platforms=HTML5. More results than the tags at least.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 15, 2020

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Zereth posted:

Does anybody know where the red key is in Witchway?

Vague Hint: Always remember to check behind waterfalls for hidden treasure
Relevant section of my 100% speedrun: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/330824345?t=0h5m46s

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Another rec for Hive Time, which I just spent an hour and a half playing in Civ-like "oh poo poo it's way too late now" fashion. It's pretty chill, and combat seems to be more or less random and hinge around preparation (since the only "combat" scenario I've seen so far is a bear batting the hive for honey, which you can prevent by having a shitload of defender bees). Otherwise it's mostly about balancing resources, in particular the bees being born into the world. Super cute, very addictive, and totally worth a look.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is this "The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures" the one put out by Harcore Gaming 101? I bought that and was rather disappointed. It's a massive book with images and essays about hundreds of these games which is great, but every single entry is a first draft at best. Typos, run-on sentences, weird grammar at places, and a lot of like, and tons of aphorisms. It reads like sixteen year-old me was the main contributor.

credburn fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 15, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SeXReX posted:

Vague Hint: Always remember to check behind waterfalls for hidden treasure
Relevant section of my 100% speedrun: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/330824345?t=0h5m46s
Oh poo poo, somebody actually knew, thanks!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

credburn posted:

Is this "The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures" the one put out by Harcore Gaming 101? I bought that and was rather disappointed. It's a massive book with images and essays about hundreds of these games which is great, but every single entry is a first draft at best. Typos, run-on sentences, weird grammar at places, and a lot of like, and tons of aphorisms. It reads like sixteen year-old me was the main contributor.

That's disappointing. I remember browsing through a few of the books they were selling on their site and being interested. Is the writing just taken from each game's page (which is written by contributors) and not proofread at all? Seems weird.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ErrEff posted:

That's disappointing. I remember browsing through a few of the books they were selling on their site and being interested. Is the writing just taken from each game's page (which is written by contributors) and not proofread at all? Seems weird.

I browsed though the article for Blade Runner (two of the credited contributors authored this one)
I am not a native English speaker, but the article was at least well informed, and had some details about the game's design and the creator's intent with some choices that you have to search to find elsewhere (like in some old GDC talks by Louis Castle).

Maybe the quality of the sections varies. There are multiple contributors listed in the credits.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 15, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There we go, found all the bunnies and got all the things behind the key doors! :toot: Game good although don't alt-tab in fullscreen, it'll just kinda... vanish

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

credburn posted:

I wasn't reading it with a copy editor's eye but nothing stood out as bothering me. I got a lot of enjoyment out of it, especially the development history and interviews.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The Müll Littoral -is a fun little point-and-click with no inventory and timed click-challenges about a character who suffers from anxiety and the god-like people-beings who are trying to help her. About an hour and change, I wish it didn't have an umlaut in the name since that makes it very hard to search for! A little first-time-dev-ish but worth a look.

A Mortician's Tale -is also a point and click, technically, though it's mostly a story with a few clicking elements told through the main character's email inbox. I felt like I learned some things playing this one and it was quiet and introspective. Also about an hour long and very worth your time.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

doctorfrog posted:

I wonder how this is going to be as a cultural snapshot. A whole bunch of people just got a huge set of the same games, all at the same time, the vast majority of them being very different from the usual stuff that shows up at a steam sale.

In the meantime, other games will come out, which maybe you'll buy or not buy, but a sizable number of people still all have the same 1700 games sitting there. If you don't have the cash for a new game, it's cheaper, faster, and possibly more socially rewarding (?) to just dig through this bundle and bring something out.

As amazing as this bundle is, around 600 of those aren't even games (asset packs, etc.) and then I'm maybe interested in 10% of those remaining 1100 at most.

Not knocking it, it's still amazing value, even for those 10%, but I don't think there are anywhere near 1700 good games in this.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm using itch.io collections to better track the games I've played and games I've no interest in, so my numbers should be more accurate now. I suspect that by the end of this, my 'not interested' pile will massively overshadow the amount of games i actually play, since I don't care about endless games, RTS games, racing games, multiplayer games, etc. I think at most, I could see myself trying 300 games in this bundle and nulling the rest. But that's obviously still loving crazy. ANYWAY, moving on...

You Died But a Necromancer Revived You - Thumbs up. This is basically a top-down fantasy Wipeout the Game Show. Race to the ladder to climb to the next floor as the floor behind you gives way, but there's a bunch of traps between you and the exit. The game is friendly even on the normal difficulty and has a checkpoint for each area (1 area = 4 floors). A full run will take you a half hour. You might be tempted to do a one-life run or something, but I personally wouldn't. I died 90-some times in my playthrough. Life's too short to stress yourself out in every single game!!

Planet Diver - Hmm, this one's okay. You know auto-runners? Well this is an auto-faller. It's kind of like in a platformer when you fall a long distance and you have a lot of coins to collect on the way down, and you never get all of them and it frustrates you?? This is a game built around that. Although it's friendlier because it utilizes lanes rather than fully-free movement. You can 'dash' (fall faster) or brake (which functions as a z-depth loop-de-loop to avoid enemies/hazards), but otherwise, this is the game you're getting. Thumb inert, I think this is probably going to be some person's jam so I'll at least mention the game here.

Hyper Sentinel - I'm gonna give this a thumb up, but it's still not the shmup I'm really looking for. It did provide me with a ground target rich battlefield, which made me quite happy, but the game is obviously based on some C64 predecessor, and so the pacing and game style is not really my thing. I actually did finish it (because I suspected maybe I'd have to do it in one sitting and I was likely never going to return to it). But I'm still searching for the me-shaped hole in this itch.io bundle's Shmup Fault.

Total # of Games in Bundle: 1084. Games I'm Not Interested In: 123. Games Played and Not Nulled: 110/961 (11.2%). Games Beaten: 65/110

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Kestral posted:

Ironsworn is far and away the best solo RPG in the world right now, and you have it! The base game is free, and its excellent expansion, Delve, is included in the itch.io bundle. There's also a bunch of great Ironsworn streamed games up on youtube now that you can check out to get a feel for the mechanics.

Ironsworn also does GMless co-op, which I can also attest is very good if you've got even one person you can coordinate with.

A few pages back, but do you have any examples of podcasts/streams besides the "official" one? I tried it for a couple of hours and was pleasantly surprised by how well the game worked solo (it managed to plot against my character), but I don't grok how some stuff is supposed to work.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 15, 2020

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

credburn posted:

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I wasn't reading it with a copy editor's eye but nothing stood out as bothering me. I got a lot of enjoyment out of it, especially the development history and interviews.

Can also confirm that it’s fine and that I certainly got my 0.3 cents worth from it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Yeah, I've been reading it through and am on Leisure Suit Larry after reading about King's Quest and Space Quest and have found it pretty great. It's possible I've just been reading the main guy's contributions though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Tonight We Riot

Saw this one mentioned a few times in lists, but no impressions yet, so here's a quick one.

This is a dystopian sci-fi game set sometime in the year 20xx, where corporations run everything and a militarized, fascist police state serves as their enforcers. How bleak and upsetting.

This is a 1 player or 2 player coop brawler where you lead a group of revolutionary proletariat workers who decide to seize the means of production through force. It starts off as a small group, which grows in size as you liberate buildings you find along the way, but often shrinks as you lose people to police violence. One cool little detail is how if your controlled character falls, another person steps up to immediately assume the position and the game carries on. The difficulty ramps up quickly, and I haven't gotten very far in yet.

There's also a very good dog.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I tried Tonight We Riot, and while it's most definitely righteous, I don't think it controls very well and the difficulty ramps real quick to the point where I was just feeling frustrated throughout. I dropped it midway through the second island. Co-op may salvage it though (as it does many things).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if y'all haven't picked it up yet (and why are you in the thread if you haven't) today's the last day of the bundle: https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality

just over 15 hours left

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Trickyblackjack posted:

I tried Tonight We Riot, and while it's most definitely righteous, I don't think it controls very well and the difficulty ramps real quick to the point where I was just feeling frustrated throughout. I dropped it midway through the second island. Co-op may salvage it though (as it does many things).
It really feels like it needs a difficulty setting. You hit a wall pretty early on, from my experience. I watched some videos of co-op and they were really struggling too.

Maybe it's a meta statement about the difficulty of truly effecting real change

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm gonna try it again with mouse and keyboard, a big part of the difficulty seems to be keeping people from just rushing into molotovs and tanks and having them hold back or maneuver and it's tough to manage on a controller while also doing other stuff. It might just be that I am way way better with a kb+m than I am with a controller

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
RPS recently released a review of Master Spy that makes it sound pretty good. I'll have to throw it onto my list

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Fat Samurai posted:

A few pages back, but do you have any examples of podcasts/streams besides the "official" one? I tried it for a couple of hours and was pleasantly surprised by how well the game worked solo (it managed to plot against my character), but I don't grok how some stuff is supposed to work.

Adam Koebel's Ironsworn campaign is the best I've seen by a substantial margin, and is probably singlehandedly responsible for Ironsworn being A Thing in the RPG scene right now. It does cut off on a cliffhanger, as the streamer flamed out in a conflagration of drama recently, but if there's a better Actual Play of it out there, I haven't seen it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kestral posted:

Adam Koebel's Ironsworn campaign is the best I've seen by a substantial margin, and is probably singlehandedly responsible for Ironsworn being A Thing in the RPG scene right now. It does cut off on a cliffhanger, as the streamer flamed out in a conflagration of drama recently, but if there's a better Actual Play of it out there, I haven't seen it.

For context, the 'drama' was him, as the DM, roleplaying out an sexual assault on one of the player characters without the player's consent, and everyone reacting with understandable fury. His apologies have been pretty lame. Not to say that campaign isn't good, but some folk might want to know before giving him views.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah that's probably in like the top 3 things of 'never do this to a player' in tabletop gaming, at the very least

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah that's probably in like the top 3 things of 'never do this to a player' in tabletop gaming, at the very least

Short of anything actually illegal, that's probably the number one thing to not do to players that I can think of.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

*opens bookmarks folder containing youtube stuff I want to watch, deletes that bookmark*

Seriously thank you I didn't know the sexual assault roleplay guy was the same as the ironsworn player. I want to get into Ironsworn but not with someone like that. Got any recs?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CainFortea posted:

Short of anything actually illegal, that's probably the number one thing to not do to players that I can think of.

true! i just didn't want to miss out on something else and have someone go 'what the gently caress how did you forget this'

but yeah that's an insanely valid reason to be mad at someone

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

StrixNebulosa posted:

*opens bookmarks folder containing youtube stuff I want to watch, deletes that bookmark*

Seriously thank you I didn't know the sexual assault roleplay guy was the same as the ironsworn player. I want to get into Ironsworn but not with someone like that. Got any recs?

Eric Vulgaris, unless he's part of that same Campaign.

He's one of the dudes who got me into Pendragon, and even though I'm not a fan of Ironsworn he's pretty charismatic and its still worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

No worries. I do not have recs, hoping others might, because I'd like to get into Ironsworn too.