Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
snowflakes melting down over their big wet prime minister not having a picture on Google

quote:

Google has apologised for an error that resulted in an image of Winston Churchill being removed from its search results, after accusations that the company had deliberately taken it down in support of the Black Lives Matter protests.

Conservative activists first noted the omission late on Saturday night, highlighting the fact that Churchill’s image was absent from the gallery results for “UK prime ministers”.

https://twitter.com/CharlotteCGill/status/1271947879393955840?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/RhubbaComedy/status/1271949019330289665?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Missing too was the PM’s first historic term in office: the company’s results recorded only his 1951 to 1955 leadership.

In a statement on Sunday, Google said the removal of Churchill’s image was not accidental. Instead, the company said, it had intervened to correct a separate issue flagged by its users: that the image automatically selected for Churchill showed him at a much younger age than the “more famous and iconic” pictures of him during the war.

https://twitter.com/searchliaison/status/1272234500739657728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Because Google avoids directly dictating search results, the company had blocked the younger image, but not specifically selected a replacement. “In this case, a bug in our systems prevented a new representative image from updating,” the company said. “As a result, Churchill’s entry lacked an image from late April until this weekend, when the issue was brought to our attention.”
Are they trying to memory hole are favourite racist alcoholic adult baby?

e: 1992 was a year in which stuff happened

XMNN fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, though, it's wild how much better the Tomcat and Phoenix performed once Iran got their hands on them.

The Iraqis got stomped so hard by the Tomcats that they ended up buying Mirages from France specifically to kill them. The Mirages indeed manage to shoot down three F-14s... but the Tomcats shot down thirty of them in return.

I like how China stole the f35 plans and then turned it into a functional plane when they realised it was poo poo

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's designed to be a cash sink. That anyone in any military signed off on it is a sign that they're either very stupid or dangerously corrupt.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

I like how China stole the f35 plans and then turned it into a functional plane when they realised it was poo poo

The airframe is apparently still impossible to disassemble, though, so it's going to be a nightmare to maintain. That whole concept might end up being an unsalvageable dead end.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Darth Walrus posted:

an unsalvageable dead end.

Perfect symbol for the UK, then

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

XMNN posted:

snowflakes melting down over their big wet prime minister not having a picture on Google

Are they trying to memory hole are favourite racist alcoholic adult baby?

Doesn't surprise me. I actually believe Google in this case. They probably had 2000 reports that it wasn't Churchill.

On a totally separate issue, they had a d-list celebrity married to someone quite famous who had the same name as his actual wife (who is a friend of mine) so I notified them. Took them ages (about 3 months!) to correct it! But then I guess they only had my little report to go on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/independent/status/1272548223559905280?s=21

Oh, good.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Won’t have anyone to impact if we’re all dead.

Thinking.gif

edit as I got the wrong actor.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Darth Walrus posted:

an unsalvageable dead end.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Makes you wonder if they've modelled brexit economic any more thoroughly. (Don't answer that, I know the answer.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Makes you wonder if they've modelled brexit economic any more thoroughly. (Don't answer that, I know the answer.)

They've modelled the post brexit economy enough to know how to make money from its collapse.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1272462537062318080

Kier's Labour will throw every single person under the bus purely to get one sympathetic headline from the sun.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^gotta get that sweet Mumsnet vote he's been courting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Doesn't surprise me. I actually believe Google in this case. They probably had 2000 reports that it wasn't Churchill.

On a totally separate issue, they had a d-list celebrity married to someone quite famous who had the same name as his actual wife (who is a friend of mine) so I notified them. Took them ages (about 3 months!) to correct it! But then I guess they only had my little report to go on.
They've done worse. For a while they had a picture of Ian "H" Watkins (from Steps) next to the info for Ian "literally rapes babies" Watkins (from Lost Prophets & also prison)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1272462537062318080

Kier's Labour will throw every single person under the bus purely to get one sympathetic headline from the sun.

loving pathological avoidance of anything resembling a stance.

It's only inertia keeping me in the party at this point.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Borrovan posted:

They've done worse. For a while they had a picture of Ian "H" Watkins (from Steps) next to the info for Ian "literally rapes babies" Watkins (from Lost Prophets & also prison)

possibly the best kunt and the gang song, that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold.

Another thing I don't get at all about this idiocy is if they're going to take away self-ID, thereby requiring two years of 'living as your gender' before it can be considered, and yet they're going to ban people with 'male anatomy' from using women's facilities, how are you supposed to live as a woman for two years if you can't use the toilets? And presumably can't after anyway unless you have surgery that not everyone wants.

My hopes are either that the whole bill falls apart when nobody can agree what male anatomy is or that it prompts a whole bunch of city councils to just make everything gender neutral.

Spangly A posted:

possibly the best kunt and the gang song, that
:yeah:

Perverts on the Internet is a classic tho

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
just in case you'd forgotten that the government are comically evil

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1272547133988757505

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Much as I hate to share a Nick Cohen / Spectator article, this one is mostly numbers rather than ideology:

The Red Wall overwhelmingly opposes a no-deal Brexit.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-red-wall-overwhelmingly-opposes-a-no-deal-brexit

quote:

The Red Wall overwhelmingly opposes a no-deal Brexit
15 June 2020, 1:39pm
The Red Wall overwhelmingly opposes a no-deal Brexit

It isn’t news to say the Johnson administration doesn’t understand how to fight Covid-19 or reopen schools or save the economy. But the knowledge that it doesn’t understand the people who put it in power is new and worth hearing.

A poll given to The Spectator today by the Best for Britain think tank shows the gap between ‘Red Wall’ voters and the Tory elite in London is dizzyingly wide. It reports overwhelming opposition to a no-deal Brexit in the seats that put Johnson in Downing Street. As striking is the widespread concern about living standards and equally valid worries about the Conservatives tying Britain to the Trump administration.

Best for Britain’s pollsters interviewed 5,317 people across the country from 9 May to 5 June. Its researchers employed the most respected and intensive polling technique – multilevel regression and post-stratification analysis, which uses statistics on past votes and demographics, as well as the poll results. They focused on 44 constituencies which the Conservatives won in 2019 from Labour in the North and Midlands.

I’ll give you the findings first and then my analysis of why opinion is moving. 70 per cent of Red Wall voters said they wanted to work with Europe, whereas only 20 per cent said America should be the UK's main partner.

The researchers then asked, ‘The Conservative campaign manifesto said that the Government would pursue "a new free trade agreement with the EU [and that] this will be a new relationship based on free trade and friendly cooperation”. How important is it that the Government keeps this promise?’ Every which way you could cut up the pro-Brexit, pro-Tory vote, the answer was the same.

Red wall average: 88.9 per cent think government keeping promise to get a trade deal is either very important (55 per cent) or important (33.9 per cent)

Red wall Tory voters: 90.8 per cent think government keeping promise to get a trade deal is either very important (54.8 per cent) or important (36 per cent)

Red wall Leave voters: 88.6 per cent think government keeping promise to get a trade deal is either very important (51.7 per cent) or important (36.5 per cent)

Red wall switchers (Lab-Con): 91.5 per cent think government keeping promise to get a trade deal is either very important (57.2 per cent) or important (34.2 per cent)

There was no difference between the North and the Midlands: 87.8 per cent in Dudley North and 88.9 per cent in Sedgefield agreed.

Finally, the reason why people are worried about no-deal was explored. When asked ‘do you think the cost of daily essentials will get better or worse if the UK leaves the transition period without a trade deal,’ 68 per cent answered ‘worse’.

Reality is starting to bite. Leave voters in 2016 and Conservative voters in 2019 believed the promises that cutting a deal would be easy and that German car manufacturers would save Britain. I have no idea whether Johnson, Gove, Cummings and the rest of the gang believed their words when they uttered them, and genuinely thought that sensible warnings were ‘Project Fear’. But everyone who has paid attention can see that when their promises turned out to be false, and when the German car makers did not arrive like the cavalry in VW Polos, they doubled down and embraced the chaos of no-deal like student Trots playing with revolution.

They have no electoral mandate for it, and their behavior in government is making previously loyal supporters at last wonder if they know what they are doing.

Naomi Smith of Best for Britain told me, ‘They failed to plan for the pandemic. They failed to lock down in time. Now they are rushing towards a no-deal, against the wishes of key election battleground seats.’

The poll also shows what is obvious to everyone except right-wing politicians and journalists. British voters have the good sense to find Trump frightening. This isn’t a left-right divide. Regardless of their politics, 70 per cent of people would rather work with the EU than tie the country to a dangerous and despised man.

Perhaps this knowledge is beginning to filter through. Even the leaders of right-wing opinion have gone quiet on Trump now. You may have noticed that they only talk about the excesses, real and imagined, of the woke left in the US, while saying nothing about the excesses of the strongman in the White House, which matter more because he has actual power.

Today Alexander Stafford, the Tory MP for Rother Valley, argues in The Spectator that ‘Red Wall voters won’t forgive the Tories if Brexit is delayed’. With all due respect, he should get out more. He might then discover that Britain’s mood is frightened. The time of grand, destructive right-wing gestures is passing. Too many people are learning the hard way that they are too expensive and that we are too sick a country to pick up the bill.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Much as I hate to share a Nick Cohen / Spectator article, this one is mostly numbers rather than ideology:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-red-wall-overwhelmingly-opposes-a-no-deal-brexit

gently caress them imo they were told this is what would happen

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

leopards, faces, etc

no sympathy (for the people who voted to ruin everything, specifically)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Doesn't matter, they'll vote for it anyway.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
presumably this is the sort of polling the supercop was looking at when he decided that his position on Brexit is now just "the government said they've got it under control and I trust them, but I'll be very, very disappointed if they haven't and there will be a strongly worded letter or two mark my words"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

VideoGames posted:

In space no one can hear you sound.

lmao gently caress :laffo:

Gonzo McFee posted:

Doesn't matter, they'll vote for it anyway.

Yeah it's a little loving late to be worrying about it now, shame there was no prospective PM who was offering a final say on any brexit :thunkher:

Jose posted:

gently caress them imo they were told this is what would happen

lol we were screaming about how probably a ndb was with johnson and they went ahead and gave the tories a huge majority anyway. agreed, gently caress 'em.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm definitely in 'bite my nose off to spite my face' mode over this lot.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/RuthSmeeth/status/1272468742690279425?s=20

https://www.indexoncensorship.org/trustees-patrons/

quote:

Board of Trustees

Trevor Phillips (Chair), Kate Maltby (Deputy Chair), David Aaronovitch, Kiri Kankhwende, Elaine Potter, David Schlesinger

Company Directors

David Aaronovitch, Anthony Barling, Trevor Phillips, Mark Stephens

Friends of Index

Jim Caruso, Jodie Ginsberg, David McCune

Patrons

Margaret Atwood, Simon Callow, Sir Harold Evans, Jude Kelly OBE, Michael Palin CBE, Gabrielle Rifkind, Sir Tom Stoppard, Lady Woodford-Hollick, Alexandra Pringle, Christopher Hird, Steve Coogan

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Don't see the issue. Boris already forced the EU into backing down and putting a border in the Irish sea exactly like he always said he would, so he'll be securing that Best Deal he promised any time now.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
The Tories did nothing but gently caress up and create chaos for four years, and the British public said "more please". And so it will get more, much much more.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/yungmuzhik/status/1272489604994785280?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/KelseyMarshalll/status/1272557012619005953?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Patel just accused Corbyn's politics of being racist (ed I deleted a bit here because it's probably not relevant).

quote:

Home Secretary Priti Patel has described the politics of former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn as “racist” in the House of Commons.

Answering questions about recent protests linked to the death of George Floyd in the US, Ms Patel turned her fire on Keir Starmer for supposedly not breaking with the policies of his predecessor.

She said: "I'm saddened that the leader of the opposition has effectively failed to depart from the divisive, hateful, racist politics of its former leader".

More follows… (not yet in the article

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/priti-patel-jeremy-corbyn-racist-keir-starmer-house-commons-labour-a9567256.html

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/tarquinhh/status/1272528515926196226?s=21

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
link to that article: https://newleftreview.org/issues/II122/articles/owen-hatherley-the-government-of-london

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Love all the very intelligent "Aha but you live in a capitalist society!" replies to that one.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm definitely in 'bite my nose off to spite my face' mode over this lot.

It's not even about that really, it's perfectly rational. The entire premise of the Labour right wing is that the left have nowhere else to go and they can take us for granted, that's correct if everyone just loving folds and votes for them anyway. What's the best case scenario then? 5 years of Labour, 5 years of Tories, and then we try again? I'd rather watch them burn and refuse to piss on them.

This isn't accelerationism, this is a refusal to allow "left wing communist EXTREMISTS" to be redefined into whatever the gently caress Starmer is doing, because that's how this always works, the window just moves to the right.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

peanut- posted:

just in case you'd forgotten that the government are comically evil

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1272547133988757505

https://twitter.com/Daniel_James_97/status/1272563600155181062?s=20

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's designed to be a cash sink. That anyone in any military signed off on it is a sign that they're either very stupid or dangerously corrupt.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Nice to know Ruth (strictly protect) Smeeth is gonna be getting that sweet National Endowment for Democracy money, after all, she earned it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

there's a great deal of active revisionism in it and I sense that Hatherley sees himself as publishing a manifesto rather than engaging in a historical narrative

London was never left-wing in the isolationist Bennite AES mold; Hatherley constructs a narrative of left continuity by ignoring it

that's fine in the manifesto sense that Hatherley probably doesn't want the left to draw on that particular element of its past, but it's exceptionally relevant to the narrative of the decline of particular ways of economic production and the rise of others - the triumph of the cities is a global phenomenon, not just in the UK

that renders the closing rallying cries - a somewhat confused plea to shrink London and rely on other parts of England to pick up the slack - a little strange

ultimately a more powerful municipal government of London could sustain public services in London much more easily by not subsidizing the rest of the country so much, but that's no way for a socialist to treat the hinterland either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

XMNN posted:

presumably this is the sort of polling the supercop was looking at when he decided that his position on Brexit is now just "the government said they've got it under control and I trust them, but I'll be very, very disappointed if they haven't and there will be a strongly worded letter or two mark my words"

im pretty sure thats just what he says when you pull his string