Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

wormil posted:

Count me as another fan of youtube music, it predicts my taste better than any other app.

Hello Apps thread, I am looking for an app that will play a sound or flash and then record the time until a subsequent sound. Basically we are training/testing reaction times, measuring the reaction time between go and punching a bag. The closest I've found is Phyphox which measures the time between two sounds, it works in a quiet environment, but extraneous sound sometimes gives a misleading result. Ideally the app would flash a light or beep then count until the slap on the bag.

I realize this is a bit of "answering your question in a completely different way of handling it", but to be honest I don't think an app is going to be precise enough for actual training. "oh crap it didn't get the hit". Something that has a physical sensor on the bag is going to do far better than a phone. It looks like someone did used to make something that does this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=midPDDGClB0

but isn't currently available anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Buff Hardback posted:

I realize this is a bit of "answering your question in a completely different way of handling it", but to be honest I don't think an app is going to be precise enough for actual training. "oh crap it didn't get the hit". Something that has a physical sensor on the bag is going to do far better than a phone. It looks like someone did used to make something that does this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=midPDDGClB0

but isn't currently available anywhere.

Thanks for the video. I probably won't build that but it's interesting.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Setting up my new 7T Pro and I was going to install GCam, but apparently it can only use the main camera, not all three? Am I stuck with the stock cam?

Also, Chrome doesn't seem to sync tabs and history between phones, despite having all sync options active. Anything I can do?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Wow, all the Spotify talk got me to finally try it out (I'm :corsair: and simple), and man I'm four songs in and I love it already. Way better than pandora right out of the chute at actually having a good clue what I'm gonna think is groovy. Also watching a really short video ad for 30 mins ad-free play seems very decent.
I picked out 10 or 15 artists that are all downtempo and dub electronica. Umm lessee Carbon Based Lifeforms, Bluetech, Kick Bong, Solar Fields, Sundial Aeon... you get the idea. This really is terrific.
Plus, the sync function (phone to htpc, in my case) sounds perfectly brilliant. Can hardly wait to try it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I used Spotify for a day before I signed up for Premium. The playlists are 100% worth it to me.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I might too because it turns out that the real price of 30 ad-free minutes for one short ad is that after an hour you get three 30 second spots in a row. Bleh, but yeah I'm probably gonna spring for it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I can't imagine using Spotify without premium, it's 110% worth it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can't imagine using Spotify without premium, it's 110% worth it.

Same. It also changes the interface somewhat, if I'm remembering correctly. Makes things like Liking songs and artists work differently I think. Either way it's worth it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking for an ad blocker for Chrome for my mom's phone. Can anyone recommend something simple to deal with, but effective? She's 73 and doesn't live near me so it has to be something she can deal with herself.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

me your dad posted:

I'm looking for an ad blocker for Chrome for my mom's phone. Can anyone recommend something simple to deal with, but effective? She's 73 and doesn't live near me so it has to be something she can deal with herself.

I have no complaints with Kiwi and uBlock Origin.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

I have no complaints with Kiwi and uBlock Origin.
I use that as well, but the main issue with this setup is that Kiwi hasn't been updated since October 2019 and the developer has apparently dropped the project and made the browser and tech that handles Chrome PC extensions open source and public for other browsers to adapt.
https://www.xda-developers.com/kiwi-browser-open-source/

The Git repo was recently updated with a roadmap:
* During year 2020, the goal of the project is to make maintenance fixes and security updates.
If there is an issue or bug that you want to be included to Kiwi, please open an issue ticket pointing to the related Chromium bug or commit. Be precise, there are dozen of thousands of changes in Chromium.

* Later in the year, if there is enough demand and ressources, Kiwi will follow Chromium releases automatically (including bugfixes).

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

me your dad posted:

Brave browser is basically modified chrome and it comes with a pretty good adblocker built in and enabled by default.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

BoldFace posted:

Brave browser is basically modified chrome and it comes with a pretty good adblocker built in and enabled by default.

Would a crypto-currency-centric browser, with dodgy politics, be the best choice for a 73 yo mom?
Brave Browser caught adding its own referral codes to some cryptocurrency trading sites
(It might be cool enough for everyday use, but I've avoided it due to the crypto thing in general)

Android Police has a decent and frequently updated article about their choice for best browser with a list of features, and why some are not part of their list as well.
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/06/04/best-android-web-browser/

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm surprised there's nothing simple. I'm not sure I want to suggest another browser for my mom, as that might confuse her. I was hoping for the equivalent of a Chrome plugin that would be as simple as that.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

me your dad posted:

I'm surprised there's nothing simple. I'm not sure I want to suggest another browser for my mom, as that might confuse her. I was hoping for the equivalent of a Chrome plugin that would be as simple as that.

There's nothing simple because Google doesn't want you installing adblockers in Chrome on Android.

Samsung Internet or Firefox will let you do it easily and shouldn't be too confusing for her.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Fart of Presto posted:

Would a crypto-currency-centric browser, with dodgy politics, be the best choice for a 73 yo mom?

Calling it crypto-centric is a bit much. There's maybe one notification when you first start the browser asking if you want to be part of the brave rewards program. Beyond that, it's just Chrome with with a built-in adblocker.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

me your dad posted:

Another option would be to use something like NextDNS for system-wide adblocking. It's slightly less effective than browser-level blocking but OTOH means she can keep using Chrome.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BoldFace posted:

Calling it crypto-centric is a bit much. There's maybe one notification when you first start the browser asking if you want to be part of the brave rewards program. Beyond that, it's just Chrome with with a built-in adblocker.

I don't know if you've looked into recent news about Brave.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

flatluigi posted:

I don't know if you've looked into recent news about Brave.

I have. It sounded like a bunch of nothing to me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fart of Presto posted:

Brave Browser caught adding its own referral codes to some cryptocurrency trading sites
(It might be cool enough for everyday use, but I've avoided it due to the crypto thing in general)

Android Police has a decent and frequently updated article about their choice for best browser with a list of features, and why some are not part of their list as well.
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/06/04/best-android-web-browser/

AndroidPolice isn't a good site anymore. They want everyone to subsribe to their paid newsletter. When we told them that there was no need, since we get everything we want on the site for free, they started republishing old articles, claiming they were updated, but they never were.

This isn't the first time they've done something like this, either. About a year ago, someone called them out in one of their their Free And On Sale Games articles. They bold titles they recommend. A user noticed that they were bolding lovely titles, said there was no way they were recommending those, and that they were getting paid to promote them. The user asked them to be transparent about that fact. In response, they disabled comments on those posts for about 6 months.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

AndroidPolice isn't a good site anymore. They want everyone to subsribe to their paid newsletter. When we told them that there was no need, since we get everything we want on the site for free, they started republishing old articles, claiming they were updated, but they never were.

AP is the only fanblog not sucking up to Google or OnePlus like Android Central or pushing obvious lies like 9to5Google.

They're the only ones to call Google out on their poo poo when everyone else is saying how wonderful Google is so they'll be invited to I/O for free.

They haven't pushed their paid newsletter in a long time, they don't bitch about adblockers and are decent to browse even with them off for whatever reason.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

AP is the only fanblog not sucking up to Google or OnePlus like Android Central or pushing obvious lies like 9to5Google.

They're the only ones to call Google out on their poo poo when everyone else is saying how wonderful Google is so they'll be invited to I/O for free.

They haven't pushed their paid newsletter in a long time, they don't bitch about adblockers and are decent to browse even with them off for whatever reason.

Lol AP is garbage and has been for some time. They exaggerate and spout bullshit constantly, primarily because of Artem and his cellphone voodoo doll.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Suggestions for good Android blogs then?

(Android Apps: Use AMDroid and Solid Explorer doesn't count)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Grimbo's Blog (I sure hope that's the right name. It's been so long.)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

me your dad posted:

If you can get her to install a non playstore app, Blokada is a good option for a system wide adblocker.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol AP is garbage and has been for some time. They exaggerate and spout bullshit constantly, primarily because of Artem and his cellphone voodoo doll.

Well yeah, Artem and his weird phone issues aside, I still see it as better than 9to5Google and Android Central at least.

XDA has it beat with the app teardowns though.

I did report the Pixel 4 XL battery issue to them and Artem responded that it wasn't a real issue. :v: So...yeah.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

hooah posted:

I've tried Spotify some, but the system inability to shuffle all of an artists' songs is just baffling.

Literally the first interactive option in an artist's page is to Shuffle Play. Is that not the same thing?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I agree with ThermoPhysical here. In terms of Android news aggregators, they're still the best one there is. They aren't what they used to be, I'll concede that, and they definitely are throwing around a shitload more sponsored content than is ideal, but if you only read their headlines and the one or two interesting articles a day you'll be more or less complete in your daily Google/Android news. Pretty much all the other blogs are just as clickbaity and hyperbolic without having any good articles to balance it out.

Now if it was the quality it is now and big stories slipped through the cracks, like I see over at 9to5Google, then I could see giving up on them but as long as they remain a one-stop shop I'll defend them for what they are.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

cage-free egghead posted:

Literally the first interactive option in an artist's page is to Shuffle Play. Is that not the same thing?

Nah, that only does maybe twenty tracks.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Dodoman posted:

If you can get her to install a non playstore app, Blokada is a good option for a system wide adblocker.

Blokada is great. It worked pretty well a year ago when I started using it and has only gotten smarter and more polished since. As mentioned, it's system wide, though it uses a local vpn to achieve this and you can only have one active vpn at a time on Android so a possible dealbreaker for some.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google Play Music has been merged to YouTube music for me, I've created a playlist with 1,730 songs. Today is a good day.

Looks like it's rolling out to more accounts now.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 18, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Checked back about 5 pages and didn't see anything.

Any go to apps for a Twitter client replacement? I've tried Friendly, owley, and plume. They all kind of suck in their own ways too.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google Play Music has been merged to YouTube music for me, I've created a playlist with 1,730 songs. Today is a good day.

Looks like it's rolling out to more accounts now.

They stopped the migration service, may be on hold for a bit

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any go to apps for a Twitter client replacement? I've tried Friendly, owley, and plume. They all kind of suck in their own ways too.

I've pretty much given up on using a third party client.

The Twitter API doesn't surface basically any feature they've added in the past 3 years so there's a bunch of new things that just don't work. (polls, group DM, etc?)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just started using the website in Firefox Beta, now that it's using their faster rendering engine and it's possible to use uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger and HTTPS Everywhere. It works well enough.

Might be possible to do the same thing in Chrome?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kassad posted:

I just started using the website in Firefox Beta, now that it's using their faster rendering engine and it's possible to use uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger and HTTPS Everywhere. It works well enough.

Might be possible to do the same thing in Chrome?

Does it block promoted tweets?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Youtube has stopped adding videos I watch to Watch History when watching on my phone. It still adds it when I watch it on PC on the same account.

Anyone had anything similar?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Are you doing any phone ad blocking? I know unless I whitelist a certain address on my pihole I get the same issue connected to my home network

There's also a 'pause history' option. You enabled that by mistake?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Nitrousoxide posted:

I use Talon, still seems to work. I don't read much Twitter on my phone anymore though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skarsnik posted:

Are you doing any phone ad blocking? I know unless I whitelist a certain address on my pihole I get the same issue connected to my home network

There's also a 'pause history' option. You enabled that by mistake?

I use pi hole (ad block via dns) which still doesn't explain it because I am on the same network as my PC. The router uses the pihole as the DNS to give to clients via dhcp so every client uses it invisibly.

Ill check the query logs. Maybe mobile app uses "m.youtube.com" or something.