Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xsf421 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-time_nuclear_waste_warning_messages#Message

This place is a message... and part of a system of messages... pay attention to it!
Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.
The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

hard to imagine a more enticing invitation to some sort of post-apocalyptic wasteland adventurer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

hard to imagine a more enticing invitation to some sort of post-apocalyptic wasteland adventurer

quote:

This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
From playing D&D in college, NOTHING got me to try everything I could to get into something than it being labeled like this.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Proteus Jones posted:

From playing D&D in college, NOTHING got me to try everything I could to get into something than it being labeled like this.

That's the entire joke with it. Some barely literate dipshit in the future is gonna go "There must be some REALLY cool poo poo buried here if they went to all this trouble. I bet there's gold!"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Undersea vaults are the answer. By the time a society is advanced enough to crack them open, they are advanced enough to go 'oh poo poo maybe we should be careful'

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RFC2324 posted:

Undersea vaults are the answer. By the time a society is advanced enough to crack them open, they are advanced enough to go 'oh poo poo maybe we should be careful'

Take waste, place in regular steel barrel, fill completely with molten glass, let cure to room temp. Dip steel drum in 3-4 coats of what's basically industrial plasti-dip. Load on barge. Drive barge to 200km north of Point Nemo, tip them into ~14k feet of water. Mark disposal survey map, just in case we somehow figure out how to turn glass covered wrenches and pipe chunks into shitloads of cash some day.

Vitrified waste leeches out over the course of 5k+ years, and it doesn't leech into groundwater, it leeches into the shittiest part of the ocean, in an area where nothing grows, and which takes 10k+ years to mix with the surface waters, and into which you're slowly dissolving a few thousand tons of reactor waste into 40 cubic kilometers of sea water.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Take waste, place in regular steel barrel, fill completely with molten glass, let cure to room temp. Dip steel drum in 3-4 coats of what's basically industrial plasti-dip. Load on barge. Drive barge to 200km north of Point Nemo, tip them into ~14k feet of water. Mark disposal survey map, just in case we somehow figure out how to turn glass covered wrenches and pipe chunks into shitloads of cash some day.

Vitrified waste leeches out over the course of 5k+ years, and it doesn't leech into groundwater, it leeches into the shittiest part of the ocean, in an area where nothing grows, and which takes 10k+ years to mix with the surface waters, and into which you're slowly dissolving a few thousand tons of reactor waste into 40 cubic kilometers of sea water.

this is how you get radioactive cthulhus

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Isn't that where Godzilla came from?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Isn't that where Godzilla came from?

Yeah, but was less "do it responsibly" and more "Twenty miles from Tokyo Bay is good enough to just pour liquid waste over the side of the boat, right?" like an 80s Captain Planet villain.

Weedle posted:

this is how you get radioactive cthulhus

If he didn't want us dumping our lovely leftovers all over his lawn, he shouldn't have been sleeping there.

If tipping Yucca Mountain over the side of the boat gets us either of these options, I'll call that money well spent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Roundboy posted:

ALL OF THESE JOBS ARE YOURS
EXCEPT IT MANAGER
ATTEMPT NO RESUMES HERE

Nice.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Weedle posted:

I know proper linguists were involved in making that place, but I feel like using negative conjunctions is a recipe for disaster when dealing with a culture which is expected to have a weaker grasp of your language.

quote:

place ... place of honor... ... highly esteemed deed ... commemorated... nothing ... valued

Hopefully they understand the word "danger" and bother reading that far.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Even just putting the word "death" on it in every extant language that we know of, every dead language that we know of, and trying to keep it updated as long as we can... will both work better than that and also totally inspire me to crack it open in case of good loot. poo poo didn't work for the Pharaohs.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Better hope you put your points in dex or con

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the more of that wikipedia article i read the more hilarious it is. this is their plan for making the disposal sites unappealing to visit. all of these sound insanely cool

quote:

The Sandia report explored designs for physical markers which conveyed the concepts of dangerous emanations, shapes that evoke bodily harm, and the concept of "shunned land" that appears destroyed or poisoned. The designs suggested included:

Landscape of Thorns
A mass of many irregularly-sized spikes protruding from the ground in all directions.

Spike Field
A series of extremely large spikes emerging from the ground at different angles.

Spikes Bursting Through Grid
A large square grid pattern across the site, through which large spikes protrude at various angles.

Menacing Earthworks
Large mounds of earth shaped like lightning bolts, emanating from the edges of a square site. The shapes would be strikingly visible from the air, or from artificial hills constructed around the site.

Black Hole
An enormous slab of basalt or black-dyed concrete, rendering the land uninhabitable and unfarmable.

Rubble Landscape
A large square-shaped pile of dynamited rock, which over time would still appear anomalous and give a sense of something having been destroyed.

Forbidding Blocks
A network of hundreds of house-sized stone blocks, dyed black and arranged in an irregular square grid, suggesting a network of "streets" which feel ominous and lead nowhere. The blocks are intended to make a large area entirely unsuitable for farming or other future use.

gonna take my grindr profile pic at the Forbidding Blocks

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Weedle posted:

the more of that wikipedia article i read the more hilarious it is. this is their plan for making the disposal sites unappealing to visit. all of these sound insanely cool

would've thought the Black Hole would be more appropriate

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

larchesdanrew posted:

Sadly, nothing outrageous happened. I'm leaving on good terms because I still haven't even landed an interview in Denver and I move in 3 weeks. I need his title on a recommendation.

I sent you a PM

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Weedle posted:

The illustrations to go with those are spectacular, especially if you're writing post-apoc lit or you want to DM something really foreboding in a TTRPG.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A ticket came in.

quote:

Request assistance how to use word/excel thru MS 0365 (web access outlook). Need to know how to Save word/Excel document thru Web access outlook 0365 MS office.

Tasty luddite word salad. This is on a day where I'm already busy, but I seem to have become the dumping ground for every ticket that takes >2 but <100 brain cells to accomplish.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

An enormous slab of basalt or black-dyed concrete, rendering the land uninhabitable and unfarmable.

Oh hey cool, look at this easy building site. Don't even have to clear it!

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

dragonshardz posted:

A ticket came in.

Tasty luddite word salad. This is on a day where I'm already busy, but I seem to have become the dumping ground for every ticket that takes >2 but <100 brain cells to accomplish.

:lmao: ticket keyword stuffing. I love it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

tactlessbastard posted:

Oh hey cool, look at this easy building site. Don't even have to clear it!

A black stone surface is the Arizona sun isn't something people without air conditioning can live on. You are talking 110°+ heat without the black magnifying it

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

A ticket came in.

...how does one fail at saving a document? That's impressive, even for a typical user. Every app mentioned in the word salad uses the same shortcut.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Darchangel posted:

...how does one fail at saving a document? That's impressive, even for a typical user. Every app mentioned in the word salad uses the same shortcut.

i'm 99.999% certain that they just don't know that office 365 web apps autosave to onedrive

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Darchangel posted:

Well, first, you work for the government and don't know how to computer...

Weedle posted:

i'm 99.999% certain that they just don't know that office 365 web apps autosave to onedrive

I am also 99% certain this is the case, but this particular user is, um, a loving moron so who knows!

They're working from home and their callback number is a busy signal at all times, and they haven't responded to emails, so I'll let it chill until the end of the week and then close it for non-response.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

I know proper linguists were involved in making that place, but I feel like using negative conjunctions is a recipe for disaster when dealing with a culture which is expected to have a weaker grasp of your language.

Hopefully they understand the word "danger" and bother reading that far.

I've always thought some form of pictogram would be ideal. Forget labeling what the danger is, that might make it more difficult for any sort of translation. If you seal something like that with multiple doors (and why wouldn't you?), having something like a picture of a human body nearby a smaller skeleton on the first door, and increasing the size of the skeleton relative to the person (with the final door being perhaps having just the skeleton) as a sort of symbolic "you are approaching danger/death", well that seems reasonably universal. If they're going to bust open that last door, then no warning you could've put down likely would've stopped them; you did your due diligence.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rorac posted:

I've always thought some form of pictogram would be ideal. Forget labeling what the danger is, that might make it more difficult for any sort of translation. If you seal something like that with multiple doors (and why wouldn't you?), having something like a picture of a human body nearby a smaller skeleton on the first door, and increasing the size of the skeleton relative to the person (with the final door being perhaps having just the skeleton) as a sort of symbolic "you are approaching danger/death", well that seems reasonably universal. If they're going to bust open that last door, then no warning you could've put down likely would've stopped them; you did your due diligence.

I think they're doing that too, to be fair.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The bigger the warning, the better the treasure. Better just putting basic warnings out - the human brain is perverse.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If pictograms threatening death for the opening of a sealed tomb were effective we wouldn't have the field of Egyptology.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

If pictograms threatening death for the opening of a sealed tomb were effective we wouldn't have the field of Egyptology.

To be fair, they knew there was gold in there.

Darchangel posted:

The bigger the warning, the better the treasure. Better just putting basic warnings out - the human brain is perverse.

Who says it'll be humans :psyduck:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jaded Burnout posted:

Who says it'll be humans :psyduck:

dolphins come next, and they are going to be dumping their waste on the land

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

need to make some dns changes on behalf of a subsidiary

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

need to make some dns changes on behalf of a subsidiary

Inject this stuff directly into my veins. Seems weird though as I don't think you could completely registration for SMS to a land line though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm unsure if this is still true, but in the UK when you received SMS to your landline you'd get it read out to you by text to speech.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sickening posted:

Seems weird though as I don't think you could completely registration for SMS to a land line though.
My provider has a 1:1 match for each landline to a subscriber email so, if someone sends me a sms or a mms to my landline, i get a email with the message/attachments.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

SlowBloke posted:

My provider has a 1:1 match for each landline to a subscriber email so, if someone sends me a sms or a mms to my landline, i get a email with the message/attachments.
That seems loving awesome for legit stuff, but seems like it would be a pain in the rear end for spam texts.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanatosian posted:

That seems loving awesome for legit stuff, but seems like it would be a pain in the rear end for spam texts.

do you get more spam texts than spam emails?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I was looking into this a year or so ago - SMS can actually be supported by VOIP providers (Flowroute is one), though your phone system needs to support it as well. We're on 3CX, which has stated it will support it eventually, but it was supposed to be in the beginning of the year and now they're saying by the end of this calendar year so who knows. Admittedly they have a problem because all the VOIP providers use different APIs for SMS, so trying to develop integrations for all of them would be horrendous. Whereas things like 8x8 and RingCentral control the entire system end to end so they can support SMS on their DIDs because their endpoints/trunks are all under their control.

edit: obviously this doesn't apply to true landlines, i.e. for those who still have PRIs, but if you still have PRIs, you've probably got bigger things to be annoyed by than lack of SMS support.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

Inject this stuff directly into my veins. Seems weird though as I don't think you could completely registration for SMS to a land line though.

Not sure how it happened in the first place, but it is godaddy. The office manager of the subsidiary set it up and when we went to make a change for them they're like "Oh, that's the main number, it rings the phone at my desk!"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Weedle posted:

the best idea is the "Ray Cats":

quote:

Cultural memory
In Europe, the warning models rely mostly on integrating the waste disposal facilities within society so information about their presence can be passed on from generation to generation.[5]

Linguist Thomas Sebeok, building on earlier work by Alvin Weinberg and Arsen Darnay and working as part of the Human Interference Task Force, proposed the creation of an atomic priesthood, a panel of experts comparable to the Catholic church, which has preserved and authorized its message for almost 2,000 years. The priesthood would preserve the knowledge of radioactive waste's locations and dangers through rituals and myths.[6][7][8]

French author Françoise Bastide and Italian semiotician Paolo Fabbri proposed that domestic cats be genetically engineered to change color in the presence of dangerous levels of radiation. The significance of these "radiation cats" or "ray cats" would be reinforced through fairy tales and myths, the story being that one should move away from sites where such creatures are encountered, or where domesticated cats begin to exhibit such behaviour.[9][10][11][12]

99% Invisible talked about it in their episode about the WIPP and actually comissioned someone to write a song about Ray Cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g78hZIEqONM

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm unsure if this is still true, but in the UK when you received SMS to your landline you'd get it read out to you by text to speech.

One of the enduring Something Awful Forums stories from yesteryear that is burned into my brain is the story of how the UK voice for SMS text-to-speech was Tom Baker, and one goon accidentally hit the wrong contact when sending a message, resulting in his girlfriend's parents being woken up by a very dirty message from Tom Baker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Rorac posted:

So in the future, they read the other way. So first door means you can turn your dead child back into a living adult, and the further in you go, you can bring older people back to life.
Symbolism depends on culture as well. A skeleton might not mean death either, we have no way of knowing.
Burying it deep somewhere either stable or somewhere that is being pushed down into the planet by tectonic plates is probably better.