Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Hoodwinker posted:

My gut tells me that if your company is doing research on you and will attack you like an abusive partner when it finds out you're interested in moving away from the relationship that you've got a pretty good reason to expedite your job search process.

Very good point thank you! I’ve already got some pretty good reasons to get out ASAP so I probably shouldn’t hesitate to use all options available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sleng Teng posted:

Perhaps only tangential to this thread, but I'm curious: a friend swears up and down that their employer was able to see that they were open to recruiters on linkedin, even though it's supposed to hide it from your company.

I can believe that linkedin screws up this kind of thing but I wonder if anyone else has run into or heard of this? I'm personally looking again (even though it's not a good time to do so) and was thinking of subjecting myself to open recruitment but I'm hesitant if it doesn't really hide your activity from your job.

LI has a blurb on this as it's a common concern. Long story short is there's no way to guarantee your 'open to recruiters' status can be hidden from anyone who may be affiliated with your company. They call this out when you click the button to indicate you're open. More here: https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/76791

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Their not supposed to, but sometimes recruiters will narc on you if they see someone from a company opening up like that.

I don't think companies will actively try to seek out who is looking (that seems like a waste of time) but it has happened where a recruiter will say "Oh, I saw so and so was hunting around".

Its generally rare though, so usually worth the risk (since the more likely a company would retaliate the more you should try to find something else).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
So on this topic...

I just saw on a colleague's LinkedIn that they're open to job opportunities. I don't recall seeing that before for anyone (and I certainly won't be saying anything) but uhmm... Watch out I guess.

Idk if that is the same as the recruiter switch you can flip. I'm not a recruiter or using any premium version of LinkedIn.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Xguard86 posted:

So on this topic...

I just saw on a colleague's LinkedIn that they're open to job opportunities. I don't recall seeing that before for anyone (and I certainly won't be saying anything) but uhmm... Watch out I guess.

Idk if that is the same as the recruiter switch you can flip. I'm not a recruiter or using any premium version of LinkedIn.

No, it is not the same. You manually choose whether you want people using their recruiter tool to see you're open, or if you want everyone to see.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ah cool. Good on her I suppose. She's also high enough that a promotion internally would be unlikely which maybe changes how that is viewed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It really should be an unspoken rule that everyone should be available for a new opportunity if one comes along that is a better situation than the one you’re at. Employers expecting blind loyalty is laughable, but sadly how it is in a lot of cases.

Be professional and do your work where you’re at but be ready to jump if a better option comes along. Very much preferably without burning any bridges, of course.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If my employer really doesn't want to lose me to a competitor, they are free to increase my compensation at any time.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
But Eric we’re like a family!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
What's the best way to get a crash course in actually applying :airquote: advanced :airquote: excel functions like vlookups and pivot tables etc? Like, I know what the formulas are and how to do them, but I don't have extensive experience actually doing it. Just reading and watching videos will teach me plenty, but I don't want to be asking questions I shouldn't be next time I start a job.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Eric the Mauve posted:

If my employer really doesn't want to lose me to a competitor, they are free to increase my compensation at any time.

They will until you pass on the other job and they find a replacement and fire you.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Moneyball posted:

What's the best way to get a crash course in actually applying :airquote: advanced :airquote: excel functions like vlookups and pivot tables etc? Like, I know what the formulas are and how to do them, but I don't have extensive experience actually doing it. Just reading and watching videos will teach me plenty, but I don't want to be asking questions I shouldn't be next time I start a job.

Grab a publically available data set like the Titanic manifest or a public company's 10k.

Ask yourself some questions about the data.

Use whatever formulas or tools can answer the questions.

Can go backwards too: Take whatever formula or tool you're curious about and just make it worth with the data you have. See what that tells you

Between asking questions and playing with tools you'll figure things out AND get the practical experience to do it at work. Learn some shortcuts too, always cool to not touch the mouse.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
please use index(match())

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

please use index(match())

Have you heard the good news?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/xlookup-function-b7fd680e-6d10-43e6-84f9-88eae8bf5929?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Is this what people mean when they say friends with benefits?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
"Good benes"? "Super nice."? Is that the actual job posting? That "Hey, we do work/life balance here and beer night is friday. Cool with you? Cool." faux-casual workshopped language should have been permanently buried with WeWork. If this is just notes to a friend that's one thing but if they actually made interns casual-up a public job posting it will probably be an obnoxious place to work.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Idk it's a small RE operations it's prob genuine tone. It's way more descriptive of the actual job than megacorp system associate IV with a laundry list of recs and details that still somehow obscure what they need what you do and who you work for.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I was more intrigued by the highlighted text. I've seen insurance, stock options, company cars, etc, but that benefit is a new one to me

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Well, finally someplace hired me. Figures that as one good thing happens, something bad happens. Went horseback riding with friends and broke my wrist.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Moneyball posted:

Well, finally someplace hired me. Figures that as one good thing happens, something bad happens. Went horseback riding with friends and broke my wrist.
i warned you about horses bro!!!! i told you dog!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I know, I know. I was just helping my friend Jack off a horse.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Moneyball posted:

I know, I know. I was just helping my friend Jack off a horse.
Well, don't leave us hanging. Did he get off OK?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

No, it was a real mess.
It was a long ride, so his legs were weak. He was leaning to one side, I reached for him, and then it happened. I had to duck so I wasn't landed on. It was just my left wrist anyway, so I'll be alright.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 23, 2020

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I'm getting ready to apply for a new job in a new field, however I'm not sure who to use for references. I've spent the last three years at my current job, and usually I'd just use contacts from that but I don't think it would be in my best interest to tip them off that I'm looking elsewhere. Is using contacts from say 4-8 years ago a bad idea?

In case it's important, I'm looking at moving from a retail/warehouse position in plumbing supply to a retail/warehouse position in brewing supply.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Moneyball posted:

No, it was a real mess.
It was a long ride, so his legs were weak. He was leaning to one side, I reached for him, and then it happened. I had to duck so I wasn't landed on. It was just my left wrist anyway, so I'll be alright.

Do horses just.. fall over sometimes when they're tired? Sorry Moneyball get better soon. Congrats on the gig.

Can you drop by the horse thread and let them know? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878671

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 23, 2020

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Sashimi posted:

I'm getting ready to apply for a new job in a new field, however I'm not sure who to use for references. I've spent the last three years at my current job, and usually I'd just use contacts from that but I don't think it would be in my best interest to tip them off that I'm looking elsewhere. Is using contacts from say 4-8 years ago a bad idea?

In case it's important, I'm looking at moving from a retail/warehouse position in plumbing supply to a retail/warehouse position in brewing supply.

That should be fine. If you've been working there a while and your old references were from a job long ago, no problem. At least it wasn't for me. Any friends in your current company that would be discreet?

Inner Light posted:

Do horses just.. fall over sometimes when they're tired? Sorry Moneyball get better soon. Congrats on the gig.

Can you drop by the horse thread and let them know? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878671

No idea. He was just beat.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Moneyball posted:

That should be fine. If you've been working there a while and your old references were from a job long ago, no problem. At least it wasn't for me. Any friends in your current company that would be discreet?
Thanks, there may be one or two guys who can keep something like this quiet. I'll ask them if the time comes, and otherwise I'll start getting in touch with old contacts.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Hello! Is there someone in this thread with experience hiring for data science or adjacent positions who is willing to take a look at a resume in PMs?

I know that seeking is tough right now so I've been expecting the results I've been getting so far (not good!), but consequently I want to make sure I'm putting my best foot forward. Most of the advice I've been getting from people I know is way out of industry or conflicting so I thought to ask here.

I'm willing to throw in a gift cert of some kind for your troubles!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Sleng Teng posted:

Hello! Is there someone in this thread with experience hiring for data science or adjacent positions who is willing to take a look at a resume in PMs?

I know that seeking is tough right now so I've been expecting the results I've been getting so far (not good!), but consequently I want to make sure I'm putting my best foot forward. Most of the advice I've been getting from people I know is way out of industry or conflicting so I thought to ask here.

I'm willing to throw in a gift cert of some kind for your troubles!

I can. I had a small DS team that we hired a couple people into. It was definitely on the cheaper/more junior side, but I think generally the things you look for are pretty universal.

Happy to do it gratis.

FYI- its kinda of a rough time for DS. I think it's still a good field, but even before COVID there was a little correction going on as companies that were over-exuberant tried to resize how much budget was going into data magic. Your resume may be perfectly fine, and it's just going to take time.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Have also hired 2 data science/ML people and reviewed many many resumes.

I also have been getting many emails from insight data science they they’re waving their hiring fees so I’m guessing it’s a tougher time in DS right now.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I feel like I've taken over this thread.

After dozens of applications and interviews, I finally landed a temp to perm with a dream commute. The pay isn't great -- I took it because I'm desperate.

Now another recruiter just hit me up about a job that is permanent, has benefits, and pays like 1.5x the one I just said yes to. Obviously that's something to aim for, but how do I go about interviewing around the new job's hours? If I had been there a while, that's easy - schedule a day or take a sick day. But if I get rejected from the better one then fired by the one I have now, that is going to suck.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

It would seem crazy to me to get fired because you take a long lunch one day and an early Friday on another, though it really depends on your workload and boss.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Moneyball posted:

I feel like I've taken over this thread.

After dozens of applications and interviews, I finally landed a temp to perm with a dream commute. The pay isn't great -- I took it because I'm desperate.

Now another recruiter just hit me up about a job that is permanent, has benefits, and pays like 1.5x the one I just said yes to. Obviously that's something to aim for, but how do I go about interviewing around the new job's hours? If I had been there a while, that's easy - schedule a day or take a sick day. But if I get rejected from the better one then fired by the one I have now, that is going to suck.

Are you remote or in an office? If the former, who's going to know? If the latter, try to schedule for early morning or lunch so coming in late isn't really noticed.

Hoodwinker posted:

It would seem crazy to me to get fired because you take a long lunch one day and an early Friday on another, though it really depends on your workload and boss.

But mostly this

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Within the first few days? I start tomorrow.

The recruiter said she was going to let them know I'm on a contract role so my availability to start is very flexible. They're hiring urgently, so that might help.

Just got to figure out how to fit in the physical interview, or maybe they'll waive it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Moneyball posted:

Within the first few days? I start tomorrow.

The recruiter said she was going to let them know I'm on a contract role so my availability to start is very flexible. They're hiring urgently, so that might help.

Just got to figure out how to fit in the physical interview, or maybe they'll waive it.
I would earnestly be surprised at any company doing in-person interviews right now. My company is still rapidly hiring, but all interviews are done via video call.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Last interview I went on was held outside with masks, with the sun beating down on me and my near-albino skin in a dark suit. This company is super skittish and I think I'm going to have to leave my mask on all day.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Can you request a video interview? Maybe you think you were exposed and want to keep everyone safe

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

"COVID JOB SAFETY: Person will be required to go into the office 5days/week. That being said, they would have their own office, and they are very conscious about social distancing/face masks

Interview process: 1) Zoom Call 2) In-Person Interview 3) Offer"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I've had people say to me "Hey, I am not really able to be super flexible on in-person interview timing due to my job, think we can do a late afternoon or early morning?" It's usually not hard to take off an hour early even if you are new(just start earlier one day or something). Most interviewers can accommodate something like that, especially if they are hurting.

I've even done video interviews with prospective people in the evening, it's not too big of a deal if the person has a good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I find it's usually pretty easy to get an early afternoon off if you have just started, since you don't have any responsibilities yet and you could easily have some stuff to attend to prior to this job