Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
See that is fantastic because this is the first time I'm seeing anything about it in Czech media. Now that's how you invade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Accidental invasions (i.e.: a bunch of military folks got lost during an exercise and crossed a border unwittingly) happen from time to time. Switzerland "invaded" Lichtenstein at least three times in recent history, for example.

Sometimes, accidental invasions even lead to accidental annexation, at least that happened when invading Canada.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Yeah British Marines disembark in Spanish beaches around Gibraltar all the drat time. It's all fun and games until they start raiding for Sangría.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
the guy who tweeted that grossly overestimated the competence and strength of the Polish military.

Oh yeah, the Polish presidential election is two weeks away and the sitting president has decided to go all in on the gay boogeyman angle, wonder how that'll pan out for him.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

To be fair, quite a few Poles support declaring war on the Czechs.. followed by an immediate, unconditional surrender

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russian friends what the gently caress is happening over there? Seeing like 500-600k cases in russia now

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russian friends what the gently caress is happening over there? Seeing like 500-600k cases in russia now

Russia is second only to USA in how many tests they do, so it only follows that they manage to identify more cases. It's a huge country.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Paladinus posted:

Russia is second only to USA in how many tests they do, so it only follows that they manage to identify more cases. It's a huge country.

yeah but a while back russia was all "da da no covid, just pneumonia"

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I'm following the daily numbers reported by one of the backwater regions (population 3 millions or so), and for what seems like several weeks they report exactly 2 deaths. Almost every day of every week, exactly 2 deaths. I think one day they reported 1 death, and the news article made it a big deal. Yesterday it was 5.

I don't know what to make of it, it just feels like a weird statistical blip. Then again normies don't understand statistics...

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 13, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The key word is "reporting"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia has a lot of fairly dense cities and wasn't particularly on the ball with their pandemic response, and the medical system has been kinda on the brink for a while now. A musician I follow got caught up in the quarantine program and her description of it was, well, a less than glowing endorsement of the efficacy and sanity of the response:

quote:

Итак, мой карантин закончился, а вместе с ним и мое терпение.
Я седьмой день нахожусь в ГБУЗ ЧЕЛЮСТНО-ЛИЦЕВОЙ ГОСПИТАЛЬ ДЛЯ ВЕТЕРАНОВ ВОЙН ДЗМ, который сейчас работает как инфекционная больница для людей с коронавирусом. Я была сюда принудительно госпитализирована 19 марта без симптомов (36,6, КТ легких без отклонений). Причину госпитализации называют положительный тест от 13 марта, который я сама сдала, результат этого теста я не видела, и не могу ни от кого добиться подтверждения. Официально мне выдали бумагу, что я госпитализирована как “контакт с инфицированным”, кем именно – также не сообщается. Моего самолета в списке “зараженных” нет.
Сейчас ситуация такая что я
- без симптомов
- с одним отрицательным тестом (тест от 20 марта, больница учитывает только тест который сделали здесь. В общей сложности у меня брали тест 4 раза).
- я нахожусь с пятью пациентами в одной палате.
- мой карантин 14 дней закончился сегодня (я вернулась из Парижа 11 марта).
Со слов нашего лечещего врача (Кирилл Дмитриевич Завгороднев) выписка наступает после двух отрицательных тестов И ТОЛЬКО ЕСЛИ У ВСЕЙ ПАЛАТЫ будет 2 отрицательных теста! Если у кого-то положительный – все по кругу.
22 марта вышло постановление № 230, по которому люди даже с подтвержденным коронавирусом могут находиться на лечении дома. Даже несмотря на это юристы Агоры говорят что решение о выписке принимает врач.

Google Translate does a good enough job on that, but short version is lolwut let's just stick a bunch of people that /might/ have the virus in the same room with no ventilation until everyone tests negative (in apparent violation of the actual government directions), sounds like a plan.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

Accidental invasions (i.e.: a bunch of military folks got lost during an exercise and crossed a border unwittingly) happen from time to time. Switzerland "invaded" Lichtenstein at least three times in recent history, for example.

Sometimes, accidental invasions even lead to accidental annexation, at least that happened when invading Canada.

Yeah it happens but here they actually occupied some territory for a while. I wonder what would happen if they just went "what do you mean we're on your land, this has always been Poland historically" and refused to leave.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

19th-century history of the US-Canadian border is full of skirmishes and battles between the British and Americans because no one was quite sure where the border was and the Americans had this fever dream of liberating Canadians from their British oppressors until the treaty of 1908.

As far as Poland occupying a piece of Czechia are they sorry and promise they won't let it happen again or are they practicing for some Russia-style annexation?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah it happens but here they actually occupied some territory for a while. I wonder what would happen if they just went "what do you mean we're on your land, this has always been Poland historically" and refused to leave.

It would be strange if there wasn't a mutually ratified & internationally accepted border treaty that describes the border in minute detail. It wouldn't be hard then for the Czechs to call the bullshit, invite UN & EU investigators to witness that the treaty has been breached, and demand sanctions.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Who would impose those sanctions, on the UN side? The security council?

I imagine the EC, with maybe the EP adding stuff.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
In six days Serbia will have parliamentary and local elections. Two weeks later, Croatia follows with parliamentary elections. This is hardly relevant for anyone but I can do a write-up if there are at least a couple of goons interested.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Write about the kooks and cranks - so all of them?

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 15, 2020

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Doctor Malaver posted:

In six days Serbia will have parliamentary and local elections. Two weeks later, Croatia follows with parliamentary elections. This is hardly relevant for anyone but I can do a write-up if there are at least a couple of goons interested.

Go for it. :)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Doctor Malaver posted:

I am a sad geek who read up about the political history of Suriname (Dési Bouterse is a bit of a character...) when looking into the age of Latin American constitutions. I will gladly read this.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
A question for the people who are in the know about present day Balkans. How was the UN peacekeeping mission there seen by the locals? Some people (Finns) I know were peacekeepers there in the early 2000's.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ataxerxes posted:

A question for the people who are in the know about present day Balkans. How was the UN peacekeeping mission there seen by the locals? Some people (Finns) I know were peacekeepers there in the early 2000's.

In Croatia, people were hopeful at first. That soon turned into disillusionment when it became clear that all the truces and deals brokered by the UN mission were just tactical and the Yugoslav army would break them at their convenience. UN soldiers weren't there to fight, UN could have sent in unarmed personnel equally. I think they never fired a weapon during the war in Croatia.

It's probably worse in Bosnia. The infamous Dutch battalion turned over thousands of Bosniak men to Serbs who executed them. Relatives of the slaughtered never forgave the Dutch government.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

I think they never fired a weapon during the war in Croatia.

There was likely at least one fairly major skirmish between the Canadian/French peacekeepers and Croatian troops.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Medak_Pocket

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 15, 2020

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

There was likely at least one fairly major skirmish between the Canadian/French peacekeepers and Croatian troops.

I stand corrected.

e: I read the article more thoroughly. In addition to all the denials at the bottom of the page, I'll add that Stipetić was one of the most capable Croatian generals, and a solid guy (unlike Domazet-Lošo who is a sleazy and nationalist intelligence officer). It doesn't make military or political sense that he'd attack a UN position and have 27 casualties (that's a big number for this war) with nothing to show for it. More likely, there was some small arms fire exchanged with no casualties on either side.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 15, 2020

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

For some EE level bleakness:
Today some 48YO dude went in front of Sejm (Parliament) building.He asked journos that are often working there if they are investigative journalism type. Then said "There's no justice in this country" and set himself on fire..
Dude survived for now, and was taken to the hospital. Nothing is known about his motives right now, I'll post later if more info appears.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

3rd time during pis reign

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

polish presidential election writeup, ~~this time it's gonna happen~~!

Candidates political compass:

Andrzej Duda - your main guy, vote if you are not tired of winning!
Rafal Trzaskowski - by all accounts the virgin candidate. Will beg for votes on knees right up until they hurt too much; loves LGBT of the not wanting to marry kind
Szymon Holownia - if you like what pis is doing but would prefer it to be done more tastefully
Wladyslaw Kosiniak Kamysz - polish language in candidate form
Krzysztof Bosak - if you like pis but also free real estate (free from undesirables)
Robert Biedron - voting for communists is prohibited in Poland, and it shows in this man's poll numbers
Pawel Tanajno - free real estate candidate
Marek Jakubiak - he will personally take out your ballot from the box and switch it with a vote for Duda

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 16, 2020

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sometimes my work is immensely satisfying

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1273165688681779201
https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1273166890400133121

Our reporting on these guy led to multiple death threats to our staff, so I hope they enjoy Ukrainian prison.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Excellent news 👍

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Our reporting on these guy led to multiple death threats to our staff, so I hope they enjoy Ukrainian prison.

:hellyeah:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

alex314 posted:

For some EE level bleakness:
Today some 48YO dude went in front of Sejm (Parliament) building.He asked journos that are often working there if they are investigative journalism type. Then said "There's no justice in this country" and set himself on fire..
Dude survived for now, and was taken to the hospital. Nothing is known about his motives right now, I'll post later if more info appears.

An update: dude tired to kill himself after local government took ownership of a road leading through his field. He went to court and lost.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I guess he isn't a big YIMBY guy

Brown Moses posted:

Great news. I hate Kharkiv Nazis.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Googled that Skachkov guy, and the first result is him at a UPA rally. Of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_sqoMtuk8k&t=76s
(He's complaining that foreign volunteers like him don't get the respect local Ukrainian vets get)

Yet another 'activist' and a veteran of ATO, it looks like. Which means it's highly likely that he'll be out on bail without any real punishment at the request of at least a dozen of Golos and ES Rada members. So keep your eye on what's going to happen to that guy next, BM.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ataxerxes posted:

There are crazy Finnish ones. One especially productive dude (Wettenhovi-Aspa) made up theories explaining how the ancient egyptian language was actually Finnish. There is also a modern pseudohistory/conspiracy theory about the Ancient Kings of Finland. Tldr: supposedly there was a Finnish kingdom in the Iron Age that was so big and scary that the Vatican and all other kingdoms everywhere teamed up to destroy it and supress even archeological evidence of its existence.

Haha, this is nothing, up your game, Finns. There is a Russian thinker who found evidence that spots on the sun form ancient slavic runes.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm meeting a friend today that's really into those crazy stories. Depending on whether he drinks I might have something cool to post tomorrow, or later.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Sekenr posted:

Haha, this is nothing, up your game, Finns. There is a Russian thinker who found evidence that spots on the sun form ancient slavic runes.

Yeah, I'm not surprised at all. I think much of that bullshit stems from the word "kuningas", or king, in Finnish. You use that word for someone like Loius XIV, Henry VIII, Frederick the Great and so on, but on it also used to mean something like chieftain or village headman. So you might find a fragment in some ancient chronicle that such and such was a "kuningas" in the are that would later be called Finland. What this actually means is that there was some village that had such a chief, but the loonies take this to mean that the whole of the Nordic Countries were ruled by that dude.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sekenr posted:

trapped in sun send help blyat

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I remember Dima Bilan's manager had an interview where he gave a really long, rambling, :biotruths: , kinda racist account of the history of music. Like, he didn't go as far as saying that pure, sacred slavic music was untainted by savage African drums, like rock, buuuuut.... came fairly close.

What is it that makes peepz go for these crazy stories ? They can't stand admitting history doesn't make sense, we hardly know a fragment and there's no overarching narrative in which they personally are descended from the Gods or something ?

There must be something ingrained in our stupid, flawed brains. The only difference between the Finnish megakindom BS and the Q-anon people is the speed and blatantess of it all. I guess it's all in the same vein as "the jooooos control the world and are responsible for all of our ills, plus the earth is flat and climate change is just the joooooos turning the thermostat up".

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

It's a justification of racism by anchoring it on an unprovable thesis of ultimate superiority. Turbolechites, Finnish mega kings, runic sunspots - all the same poo poo. Q-anon scope is small potatoes in comparison.

It also answers the question how can there be slav/eastern european nazis. Hitler's master race theories are "fixed" by pointing out that they are all true but the master race descendants are not Germans but Slavs (sorry Finns).

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 19, 2020

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

No one:
Absolutely no one:
President dealing with coronavirus and impending recession:
https://twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1273706046062723075

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Anne Frank Funk posted:

slav/eastern european nazis

"Slavs are the true Arians"
"We beat Germany, so we're the superior race"
"I don't agree with him killing all the [my nationality] but he had the right idea about Jews/gays/commies"

All actual quotes, heard in the wild