Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

B

Let's be diplomatic, wars haven't worked out all that great for Tibet lately. We should only engage in a war when there's a clear profit to be made, with minimal risks. Better yet if we can simply buy our opponents.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

A

Delhi must handle its own affairs. We have our own expansion to mind!

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

A wait and see approach is sometimes best.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

A) Leave Delhi Alone!

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

B) Send an Imperial envoy to negotiate a diplomatic solution.
The elector's government cannot be allowed to fall to peasant upheaval, even if they made the wrong choice last election.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

C This insurrection is bad for business.

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020

B

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

A

We must be patient.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

B

Such petty things are not worth devoting soldiers towards. This is the point of having envoys.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

We must help Our Children see the way past these squabbles, may the Revenant Tse curse them and drag them to the abyss.

B) Send an Imperial envoy to negotiate a diplomatic solution.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

B

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

B

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

C

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

C.

Are we going to let peasants think they can make decisions for themselves?? Never! This sort of thing must be nipped in the bud before it spreads to other parts of the Sacred Empire. Besides, cracking the skulls of the rabble seems like an easy way to restore confidence in the Tibetan army.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

B

Diplomacy cannot cost us that much after all.

Iolite
May 9, 2009

C

The Demoness Lasya has sent us a sign! Go forth and conquer, lest we face her wrath again.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Iolite posted:

C

The Demoness Lasya has sent us a sign! Go forth and conquer, lest we face her wrath again.

How dare you mock the second of our two great empresses! You shall be denied the honor of a sky burial, and the worms shall eat your bones!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

B. Better to save our troops for further wars.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:siren: The poll will close in two days, at 9 PM EST. :siren:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

B

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

B

At the very least we will maintain the illusion of caring about our peasants. Let’s see what they want and bring them to the negotiation table.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

B

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

B! Let her sniff out the Buddhists behind this!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

B

Would sending envoys to a rebellion even work in game? I'm not familiar with EUIV

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Preliminary tallying shows the Middle Division has the most votes in with 13 electors. Merchants and peasantry outnumbering the clergy and the nobility is not a surprising thing.
The next largest faction is Great Tibet with 7 electors.
Not too far behind and tied are the Descendants and the Great Root faction with 6 electors each.

So far, sending an Envoy is the most popular decision, being twice as popular as the middling decision of leaving things alone, and 3.5 times as popular as sending troops in.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 20, 2020

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Flesnolk posted:

B

Would sending envoys to a rebellion even work in game? I'm not familiar with EUIV

I'm relatively certain that you can offer to send troops to a country at war, for a price. But the cheaper it is the more likely they are to agree, naturally. They're called something that starts with C and might look like condetorri at a quick glance, but that is *not* the name. 99% chance that's a nonsense word

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

B
Help should be provided, but this may also be fate. We should not entangle ourselves militarily in this matter.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:siren: POLLS ARE CLOSED :siren:

Faction Realignment:

Great Tibet: 8 (Rody One Half, Lord Cyrahzax, idhrendur, Xelkelvos, Iolite, Albino Squirrel, wedgekree, Flesnolk)

Descendants: 6 (Tulip, Chatrapati, QuoProQuid, Ikasuhito, Gravity Cant Apple, Viola the Mad)

Great Root: 7 (Soup du Jour, Unwise_Cashew, Clayren, Snipee, habeusdorkus, Coward, Mirdini)

Middle Division: 13 (crimea, WilliamAnderson, ThatBasqueGuy, TinTower, NewMars, PurpleXVI, Pacho, AJ_Impy, zealouscub, GunnerJ, Josef bugman, HereticMIND, Dr_Gee)

Policy Action:
A) Leave it alone and see how the situation develops: 9 (crimea, ThatBasqueGuy, idhrendur, Tulip, Chatrapati, Soup du Jour, Unwise_Cashew, Pacho, Snipee)
B) Send an Imperial envoy to negotiate a diplomatic solution: 20 (Rody One Half, William Anderson, TinTower, NewMars, QuoProQuid, PurpleXVI, Clayren, zealouscub, Xelkelvos, habeusdorkus, Ikasuhito, GunnerJ, Josef bugman, Albino Squirrel, wedgekree, HereticMIND, Dr_Gee, Coward, Flesnolk, Mirdini)
C) Prepare and send a military expedition: 5 (Lord Cyrahzax, AJ_Impy, Gravity Cant Apple, Viola the Mad, Iolite)

With 34 votes, the Middle Division gains influence. We will send an Imperial envoy to Sirmur.
[/quote]

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 20, 2020

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It looks like you counted me twice?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
I accidentally copied the list of votes twice. Fixed!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Req.Martyr posted:

I'm relatively certain that you can offer to send troops to a country at war, for a price. But the cheaper it is the more likely they are to agree, naturally. They're called something that starts with C and might look like condetorri at a quick glance, but that is *not* the name. 99% chance that's a nonsense word

Sadly you can't do this for rebels, instead for rebels you can support their rebellion with fat loads of money if you've got the diplomacy research and spy network for it. It's usually expensive, but incredibly boosts their number of spawned troops, plus if they win while you're bankrolling them, they immediately make an alliance with you when they take over control.

Supporting noble rebels easily gets you something like 70k rebs split over two stacks that just loving go to town on their host nation. On the other hand it also tends to cost in the vicinity of 600+ ducats.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

A few quick and ill advised loans/debasement might be worth watching That Pesky Neighborhood split in half and become your friend.

Especially if you're able to flat out invade immediately after.

Sure, your books are going to be dripping red with the blood of your enemies, but as long as you haven't been too aggressive overall that's probably a good time to focus on provincial development.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
I was in the middle of writing an update, but that doesn't matter. I will be making no further posts until we receive more information about the forums' future.

The relevant GBS thread is here (Content warning: domestic abuse):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

And the forums announcement is here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

I have no interest in giving any money or aid to people with multiple credible allegations of domestic abuse, and neither should you.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 24, 2020

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
So - with the news about the transfer of ownership, I feel I can continue the LP here for the time being.

Expect an update soon.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Yay!

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Chapter 65: 1534 to 1545 - The Dust of This World

U Myo Thun has come back from the banquet in Thandwe, and he is a very happy drunk. His face is glowing and he can barely walk. The summer rain roars outside of his villa, and his most loyal servant, Wai Kan, is tending to him, ordering drinks to be brought and helping him to his favorite carved teak chair.

It was a wonderful evening, a wonderful evening. I learned many things.

That's very gratifying to hear, sir.

That whole affair in Sirmur, a while back? Went very well. The ambassador's cousin told me himself.

Very good, sir.

They had killed him. The last elector, they had killed him for some reason. They had killed him. They had never even brought him to court. And this noble -- child -- takes his place. Somebody from a Tibetan-Punjabi family, who had never been to war. The poor child almost dances with happiness when he finds the Tibetans sent diplomats and not a party to kill him.

Astonishing, sir.

It wasn't hard for everything to be cleared up. Sure, some temples were burned in all this, but they had promised to rebuild everything. No problem.

The Tibetans have other things to worry about. If a little place like Jharkand starts talking about taking their old land back, there is a reason to worry.

I should hope not, sir.

The king's son can't ever ever keep his mouth shut. Not even if he's not drunk. He won't stop talking. I mean, if I know this, then no secret in the court is safe.

Perish the thought, sir.

The king in Tibet is a much calmer person, so I hear. He spends great sums on his buildings. He's not, you understand, like the myths of Lasya with her pyramid, but he wants every city south of the plateau to have something with his name on it.

Every day he talks to people about it. Every day. And they go out to us in the provinces and territories and we learn from it.

And that's how we learn things. And I, for one, am grateful that silk is in fashion at that court. Silk. I love silk. Imagine if those big heavy wool coats were in style. We'd all boil to death.

But you would still have one, sir.

Exactly. You know me, good man, you do know me. I put my hair up in this ridiculous top knot instead of a head wrap, I wear all these fashions, so I can go to these parties in the capital, drink that butter tea, not coconut milk, and learn all these things.

And that's how I learned that Delhi, rebellious that they are, are sworn to defend Lhasa. They have no friends, Lhasa needs friends. It all works out.

They even had a good marriage tying them together. Some aunt, some... I forgot her name. Remind me to look her up. I must never forget names. Never ever.

Of course, sir.

But anyway. I still have to keep mining that ironstone. The lady running the forges is asking for more. She's getting a lot of buyers.

And look, it's good their close to me. I can get the ironstone, they forge it. I mean, if I was some landlord with a whole lot of rice paddies, I've have so many other things to worry about. Now it's just getting as many miners as I can, as deep as I can.

Everything to that end, sir.

I mean you don't just grab everything. Everybody has a place. It's who you are which makes you, not just what you do. I am noble, so I can own the land and care for the miners. I don't go up to the imperial family, I don't go down. I'm not from the plateau, but they let me in sometimes.

And they talk. People can talk and go learn to write. Yeah.

Do we have any of that milk pudding? Ask the kitchen staff for it.

I will take care of that, sir.

Great, thank you. I feel as rich as a trizin! Well. As rich as they used to be.

All those workshops aren't going to build themselves.

And those contracts - whoever gets them gets their hands on a fortune. If they can keep it.

You screw it up and the peasants throw you on a pyre...

or somebody else takes it from you.

The problems of having a big family, I guess. Gyalyum the Benevolent says not to kill each other if you're family, now there are so many of them, by the three treasures!

I should not have said that. Tell me you'll keep my secret.

To the grave, sir.

Exactly. They can't know I have the sutras on me... or that I'm building all these stupas in the interior.

Why else am I in the world and in the petty squabbles of commerce? I build enough stupas, I'm free.

Silver and jewels are enough to make anyone do anything. Small wonder these scriptures are called precious jewels...

You know. You've been good to me. The least I did is pay for your daughters' schooling. How's she doing?

She's found a place as a scribe in the local customs office, sir.

Wonderful! Working inside all day. She's earned that.

She takes to it marvelously, sir. I can't thank you enough, sir.

You know, there was a story about that old general, Dolkar Senol Nam. The one with the, the council. She said. You have to learn the Lhasa dialect to make it in court. You have to learn the Guge dialect to make it as a merchant. Wait, the Amdo dialect. Whatever. She can write Tibetan, yes? That's it.

Tibet provides still. Somebody rebels against them,

they end that nonsense. And that's why we're here. They provide for their allies.

No matter what happens, and no matter how else society is arranged. That is as constant as the mountains or as the moon and the tides. Besides order and disorder.

... I should make a shrine for somebody. Don't you think so?

That would be a splendid idea, sir.

Get me in good with the Tibetans and the locals. I'd need a suitable candidate...

Need to thread that needle very carefully. Have one of the boys fan me, would you? I'm sweating.

It's like the war. The emperor in Rajputana going west. You remember that?

Of course, sir.

It's all a ritual. I say the things they need so I'm one of them, and they say yes. It's like a priestly thing. I've never been to one of the sacrifices, but they do that.

But there are some people where you can't say things to everybody. The emperor goes west, and then the greatest kingdom in the east denounces them. You ever know anybody from Korea?

No, sir.

Neither have I. They make good celadon, though.

There was this Bengali merchant who told me, he told me they still have civilized kingdoms in the south but in the north they have nomads, but they're like us. Not the same, they've gone really into secret teachings and magic. He wouldn't tell me more, and you know, I get that.

But yeah the armies get on the boat, and then

that's when the emperor dies. He hadn't even left Lhasa yet. Must have been bad air, bad water, bad food, an evil being - whatever. He wasn't even fifty yet. So. Yeah. That's what got me into funding all these stupas and the books.

As a safeguard, sir.

Exactly. So I don't end up as a rat in the next life.

But the generals, they head west, north of all these hills, I made a tidy sum off of that for all the muskets and cannon.

I don't know all the details, I just know what they need and what I do with it.

The new king in Lhasa, he marries, he has a kid.

And you know, he's a good king.

I'm not saying that because I know him. I don't. I know he likes his silk.

He's paid off so many guys to make that silk.

But yeah, the war was over. Rajputana got some, I don't know.

The army was big, they feel like they can win.

The palace was built up again. I hear stories about it. So many stories about people in that palace. Amazing.

I'm sure there are many good stories, sir.

I can't imagine why anybody would complain about getting to work on something that beautiful.

Maybe they're running out of brushes or something.

But I don't know what these artists want or who gives it to them. That's for somebody else, you know.

If it's money, whatever.

Agh, by the skin of a rabid dog - I'm tired. Stay here.

Of course, sir.

Stay here. Get the fanner out of here.

Yes, sir.

You know, the world's big. It's really big.

You know the Mongolians, they're around a new Khan, Otgonbayar, what's his name.

They are, sir?

Yeah.

The north. Ends of the earth. Who even lives there. Too cold. No wonder all the Tibetans move. Are there any left?

I'd rather be somewhere warmer. Take me on one of the equator ships. I should talk to people on there.

Mali. I should go to Mali. That's the other end of the world. The other civilization, I mean.

We know the Abyssinians in Anatolia are good. They're good people, they make the art. But beyond that,

I don't know. Beyond there, you get into really weird stuff. You know, different creation.

I don't, sir.

But I can't disagree with all of them all the way.

You know, you know I'd need to visit something else, but.

Shall I get your bed clothes ready, sir?

Yeah. Don't want to go to some cannibal country.

Right away, sir.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

I completely forgot that in this LP's world, Europe got so devastated that Rome is just gone.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This is advanced border gore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Archaeologists of the future will have such a field day. with the Roman ruins.