Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
2nd Edition is 3-6, but it's much better towards the player cap. The expansion is 3-8, but also adds Vassals, a feature which adds the houses not being played by anyone back into the game with extra units that can be controlled by the other players depending upon influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Haven't tried the vassals but I hear they work well at 4p.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jedit posted:

2E adds the sixth player as baseline?

Yes.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh no I tripped and ordered a bunch of board games.

Oh noooooo

Whitehall Mystery
The Resistance: Avalon
Tournament at Camelot
Ticket to Ride: New York

Then for a good friends birthday I've picked up Sushi Go Party
But this also means it's now in our boardgame circle and she'll bring it around to play often :getin:

TIL Ticket to Ride: Amsterdam is going to be a thing, so I can see myself gifting out New York to pick this up.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Oh no I tripped and ordered a bunch of board games.

Oh noooooo

Whitehall Mystery
The Resistance: Avalon
Tournament at Camelot
Ticket to Ride: New York

Then for a good friends birthday I've picked up Sushi Go Party
But this also means it's now in our boardgame circle and she'll bring it around to play often :getin:

TIL Ticket to Ride: Amsterdam is going to be a thing, so I can see myself gifting out New York to pick this up.

oh let us know what you think of Tournament at Camelot, looks janky but fun.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It looks like my group is settling on A Feast for Odin, so I will likely pick that up next month.

My FLGS has had it out of stock for quite some time now, so I'm waiting for it to come back in before picking it up.
I'm not looking at the Norwegian expansion just yet, but is the Mini Expansion worth picking up with the base set?

Def interested in giving this a burl, as it seems like I'll be able to get 2-3 groups together for it.
So it's definitely got some legs to it for the price tag, which I'm happy with.

I think 1861+1867 will be more of an indulgence pickup later one for myself.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Whitehall Mystery seems like it would be a good 2p game, confirm/deny?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Aramoro posted:

oh let us know what you think of Tournament at Camelot, looks janky but fun.

Next game day is probably next month, but I will def let the thread know my thoughts!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

I've played a few times 2 player and it's pretty good. I'd say it's slightly harder/less funny for the the murderer but a good game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

Confirm.

It was our 'go to' game when the rona was in full swing here in Australia, and I've played numerous 2p rounds from both sides.
The benefit of controlling all 3 inspectors is you don't need to 'waste' time talking to other players to work out a game plan; you can just action things immediately while chatting away with the Jack player.
The benefit of playing Jack in a 2p game is the 'randomness' of playing against 3 players is removed so you can be a super sneaky bastard once you read the Inspector player properly.

We played multiple multiple hidden movement games on TTS as well, and we always circled back to Whitehall Mystery.
It gets the essence of hidden movement games down to its simplest elements that few other games match.

I ended up paying an extra $20 for it because I was sick of not having it in my collection, and had been waiting 2 loving months for it on Amazon.com.au

Aramoro posted:

I've played a few times 2 player and it's pretty good. I'd say it's slightly harder/less funny for the the murderer but a good game.

Sweating as the Jack player is the best part :allears:

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Infinitum posted:

It looks like my group is settling on A Feast for Odin, so I will likely pick that up next month.

My FLGS has had it out of stock for quite some time now, so I'm waiting for it to come back in before picking it up.
I'm not looking at the Norwegian expansion just yet, but is the Mini Expansion worth picking up with the base set?

Def interested in giving this a burl, as it seems like I'll be able to get 2-3 groups together for it.
So it's definitely got some legs to it for the price tag, which I'm happy with.

I think 1861+1867 will be more of an indulgence pickup later one for myself.

The islands mini expansion is nice to have. Not essential but more islands are always fun and if you have just the base game it will make more of an impact since the pool of islands will be limited. The one that adds extra gray items is good too but a lot of them are hard to place. The harvest mini is probably best left til you have more games under your belt but its also the kind of thing I would just get and stash away since its one sheet of cardboard and if it goes OOP it might be hard to find.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lemme tell you I should NOT have watch Rahdo's video on Norwegians, cause that dude is infectious as hell.

Maybe the lads will help chip in for an All-In Bundle :thunk:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Grundma posted:

The harvest mini is probably best left til you have more games under your belt but its also the kind of thing I would just get and stash away since its one sheet of cardboard and if it goes OOP it might be hard to find.

I have not seen the Harvest expansion being sold in Canada yet and it's really bugging me. I know the islands expansion was difficult to get for it felt like a year so the next time I saw them I grabbed 'em.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FulsomFrank posted:

I have not seen the Harvest expansion being sold in Canada yet and it's really bugging me. I know the islands expansion was difficult to get for it felt like a year so the next time I saw them I grabbed 'em.

Not sure if this helps you
https://store.us.asmodee.com/catalogue/a-feast-for-odin-mini-expansion-1_1423/
https://store.us.asmodee.com/catalogue/a-feast-for-odin-mini-expansion-2_2898/

Definitely not looking at where to score Odin for the cheapest.
Definitely not.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Got My Little Scythe to play with the kids. Cheap, nice components, pleasant enough theme, simple rules, plays quick. Was disappointed there's no variable player powers (which would have been easy, and kids would have liked I think).

Not really interesting enough to want to play as an adult - but I think my kids will probably be in for 5 or 10 more games.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

FulsomFrank posted:

If you get tired of waiting I could order it in the US and mail it to you when it gets here, feel free to PM

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzngkY7W6Rg

I worked on this game and it is VERY good. Definitely keep an eye out for it.

Edit: Actually, I worked on all three games mentioned in this video and Pan Am is by far the best.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 15, 2020

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Some Numbers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzngkY7W6Rg

I worked on this game and it is VERY good. Definitely keep an eye out for it.

Edit: Actually, I worked on all three games mentioned in this video and Pan Am is by far the best.

Can you get us a copy of the rules??? The pre-order online at target.com is sold out but I'd like to get a sense of the game by the date of its release which is June 21st apparently.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I don't see the full rules released anywhere publicly right now, so I highly doubt it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Grundma posted:

If you get tired of waiting I could order it in the US and mail it to you when it gets here, feel free to PM

I'll message my local guys and see if there are any plans to bring them in but if they aren't then it's something to consider for sure.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Looks like TTR with extra steps.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ok, the girlfriend and I added some games to our wishlist but some she’s not so thrilled about. Everywhere I’ve read - and here - people have recommended Splendor. I added it, and like everything else, she checked it out and wasn’t too keen on the gameplay itself. Same goes for one we found called Unearth (may have been recc’d here). Do people think we should still give Splendor a shot? Out of all the reviews or talks, people seem to think it’s really engaging but I also don’t know if those people come from playing D&D whereas we do not.

I think what I’ve pinpointed about what she likes is games with a story of some sort (Pandemic), quirky and weird (gonuts for donuts and Sushi Go Party), puzzle type stuff (Azul), and then whatever you’d categorize Ticket to Ride as. She’s also not into Carcassone but that was a heavy recommendation. I may just splurge on that one and see if she likes it. If not, oh well, another game in the collection.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crackbone posted:

To be fair, most games look like "Gateway game, but with extra steps".

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

LODGE NORTH posted:

Ok, the girlfriend and I added some games to our wishlist but some she’s not so thrilled about. Everywhere I’ve read - and here - people have recommended Splendor. I added it, and like everything else, she checked it out and wasn’t too keen on the gameplay itself. Same goes for one we found called Unearth (may have been recc’d here). Do people think we should still give Splendor a shot? Out of all the reviews or talks, people seem to think it’s really engaging but I also don’t know if those people come from playing D&D whereas we do not.

Splendor was the game that got me and my girlfriend hooked on board games. It was also pretty much our first ”proper” game after Monopoly and such. I’d definitely recommend giving it a shot.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Can you get us a copy of the rules??? The pre-order online at target.com is sold out but I'd like to get a sense of the game by the date of its release which is June 21st apparently.

Vassal's unboxing video flips through the rules page-by-page. If you don't feel like squinting, the rules were apparently posted on BGG for a while and folks seem to be sharing them via PM.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I think what I’ve pinpointed about what she likes is games with a story of some sort (Pandemic), quirky and weird (gonuts for donuts and Sushi Go Party), puzzle type stuff (Azul), and then whatever you’d categorize Ticket to Ride as. She’s also not into Carcassone but that was a heavy recommendation. I may just splurge on that one and see if she likes it. If not, oh well, another game in the collection.

You should feel very free to miss Splendor. It has nice components, and it's easy to get started, but it's a pretty mediocre game overall. Lots of people know Carcasonne, and it IS a good game.... but there's lots of good games out there. No reason you shouldn't be able to find a high quality game that has a theme you like and everyone's excited to try.

Here's some I'd take a peek at based on your comments above:

- Pandemic Legacy Season 1 is Pandemic, but with a fun story that plays out over multiple sessions. It's super engaging, and you might find you "binge" the whole season over a week.
- Century: Golem Edition does the same sort of "lightweight engine game" stuff Splendor does, but has a less bland theme - and it holds up better than Splendor over multiple plays.
- Cat Lady has some similarities with Sushi Go, but a few different mechanisms... and cats.
- 7 Wonders does excellent work with a pretty generic theme. It's a drafting game that's a step up in complexity from the games you mention, but it supports a ton of players without downtime, and has some fun ideas that may bounce around your head a bit after the game. If you would primarily be playing with just 2 players, there's 7 Wonders Duel (7 Wonders itself is playable with 2, but it's much better with more).

jmzero fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 15, 2020

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LODGE NORTH posted:

People are going to rag on me about this, but I’m going to suggest food chain magnate or Sekigahara. They both have heavy narrative elements that arises during the course of play, thematically quirky mechanics, have some element of imperfect information but have “puzzle” elements of more or less correct plays while retaining freedom of choice that arises from interactivity, and card play. Ticket to ride is rummy with a map, and FCM satisfies the tableau portion while Sekigahara satisfies the card play and playing of “hands.”

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
FCM is a little crunchy for an entry-level game. It's also very prone to games ending with Bad Feels for the losing side.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Do people think we should still give Splendor a shot?

Spend < $10 on the splendor mobile app and see if you each like it first.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

FCM is a little crunchy for an entry-level game. It's also very prone to games ending with Bad Feels for the losing side.

Yes, FCM is incredibly vicious. There is an online version if you want to experience that. http://play.boardgamecore.net/

(With blessings from Splotter)

Max fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 15, 2020

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Nah Chill, the level 2, crunchy game for Mr & Mrs LODGE NORTH has to be Root. Cute animals fighting a war against each other with wildly different powers that does a good job creating its own stories within the game. It’s hard to recommend though because it’s best at 3 or 4 players and as a Kickstarter game it’s difficult to get ahold of. There’s supposed to be a digital version coming out at some unknown date.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Crackbone posted:

That's fair, but the extra steps are super interesting and make it MUCH more than a TTR clone.

If it helps, the designer is Peter Lee who also worked on Lords of Waterdeep.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
TTR:NY showed us that TTR is TTR with extra steps :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Andrew McNeil, designer of Kingmaker and author of the Battlegame Books, has passed away.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Triskelli posted:

Nah Chill, the level 2, crunchy game for Mr & Mrs LODGE NORTH has to be Root. Cute animals fighting a war against each other with wildly different powers that does a good job creating its own stories within the game. It’s hard to recommend though because it’s best at 3 or 4 players and as a Kickstarter game it’s difficult to get ahold of. There’s supposed to be a digital version coming out at some unknown date.

That’s true. From root you can do CDGs like empire of the sun for two. :getin:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Chill la Chill posted:

People are going to rag on me about this, but I’m going to suggest food chain magnate

Yes, I am going to rag on you.

raaaaaaaaaag

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

LODGE NORTH posted:

Splendor is one of the most boring games I've ever played. The expansion breathes a little life into it but I still wouldn't recommend it. Driest game ever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I like Splendor as a phone game and only as a phone game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

TTR:NY showed us that TTR is TTR with extra steps :v:

Don't @ me ITT :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Didn’t Splendor cheapen our in recent printings too? Lowered the chip weight if I recall.