Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The real question is if you can beat a dog to death using the guitar instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah Waypoint really hosed up a number of times (still think the worst was the reporting they did on the NeoGAF sexual assault stuff), it's good we can just ignore them and look to other major platforms which also elevate marginalized writers, such as

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I’m replaying RDR2 right now and there’s a mission where you carry a half eaten dog to a circus wagon so that you can imprison a wild cat for a bunch of animal-torturing entertainers. Then you drive around while the cat eats it. Reminded me of all my friends in this thread!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Starks posted:

I’m replaying RDR2 right now and there’s a mission where you carry a half eaten dog to a circus wagon so that you can imprison a wild cat for a bunch of animal-torturing entertainers. Then you drive around while the cat eats it. Reminded me of all my friends in this thread!

but how did it make you feel

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
So it sounds like this is probably going to be a typical mass market "video games are finally serious art" video game where you spend most of your time mass murdering a million dudes and all the cutscenes are about how mass murdering a million dudes is wrong or whatever--and I'm sure it's going to be more complex and nuanced than both Schindler's List and Citizen Kane combined (I hear Ellie can climb stuff now), but just once I would like to see a AAA game where you only murder like 1 dude and spend the rest of the game in therapy dealing with the fallout or something

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

emoticon posted:

So it sounds like this is probably going to be a typical mass market "video games are finally serious art" video game where you spend most of your time mass murdering a million dudes and all the cutscenes are about how mass murdering a million dudes is wrong or whatever--and I'm sure it's going to be more complex and nuanced than both Schindler's List and Citizen Kane combined (I hear Ellie can climb stuff now), but just once I would like to see a AAA game where you only murder like 1 dude and spend the rest of the game in therapy dealing with the fallout or something

In Metro 2033 the game, Artyom can shoot a ton of dudes and still get the good ending if you know the Good Person Points.

In Metro 2033 the book, Artyom shoots exactly one guy, a Nazi officer who kills his friend, and it fucks him up for the rest of the novel.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

but how did it make you feel

I actually thought it was pretty darn messed up and I wondered why it didn't bother me on my first playthrough to the point that I don't even remember it, but then I had a crispy quinoa patty bowl for dinner and felt good again. In general I think Rockstar loves to underhandedly indoctrinate me with nihilism when all I wanna do is play a game where I shoot cops, but that's outside the scope of this thread.

Starks fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 15, 2020

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Also, Schindler's List is an extremely overrated movie. Full disclosure I've never seen it but it's been talked about and parodied to the point that I feel like I have.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Starks posted:

Like all anime games though RE’s story is stupid, which is why I mostly skip the cutscenes. I didn’t even know half of what’s in your post was in the games because it’s so convoluted and hard to follow. It’s a good game because the gameplay is fun which is the only thing that matters in video games.

I have no idea how RE2's story can be hard to follow when it's spelled out plainly that a corporation turned a whole town into a shell company, to the point where there's uh a huge fuckin lab under the city

Stux posted:

all other zombie stuff is bad other than resi?

yes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Starks posted:

Also, Schindler's List is an extremely overrated movie. Full disclosure I've never seen it but it's been talked about and parodied to the point that I feel like I have.

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

going to say that no, all other zombie stuff that isnt resi isnt bad sorry.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

I have no idea how RE2's story can be hard to follow when it's spelled out plainly that a corporation turned a whole town into a shell company, to the point where there's uh a huge fuckin lab under the city

yes

I mean I kind of understood that Umbrella corp is the bad guy but I don't remember anything about a police chief or the fact that Leon was a cop. Why doesn't he have a baton or a taser to ward off the zombies then? Or more bullets? Doesn't really make any sense if you think about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dead Rising's pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp_3553sw0Q

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

poo poo I forgot Dead Rising, only because Dead Rising 4 was so goddamn bad

Starks posted:

I mean I kind of understood that Umbrella corp is the bad guy but I don't remember anything about a police chief or the fact that Leon was a cop. Why doesn't he have a baton or a taser to ward off the zombies then? Or more bullets? Doesn't really make any sense if you think about it.

lol

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Starks posted:

How did you miss Leon's uh... entire outfit throughout the game? He's literally in uniform for all of the original, and most of the remake.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Isn't it like literally his first day on the force, that's why he doesn't start with any gear

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Dewgy posted:

How did you miss Leon's uh... entire outfit throughout the game? He's literally in uniform for all of the original, and most of the remake.

I thought he just found it in the police station, he starts the game in a jacket if I remember correctly. To be honest though I was too focused on not being devoured by zombies to check out Leon's fit. If the developer wanted me to know it was his uniform, they probably should have put his name somewhere on the back like they do with athletes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol they really wanted to hammer home that Leon was a cop that his uniform has badges on both shoulders

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol they really wanted to hammer home that Leon was a cop that his uniform has badges on both shoulders

This is not unusual?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

impossible to know this man is a cop... more world building please Cr*pCon

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Starks posted:

I thought he just found it in the police station, he starts the game in a jacket if I remember correctly. To be honest though I was too focused on not being devoured by zombies to check out Leon's fit. If the developer wanted me to know it was his uniform, they probably should have put his name somewhere on the back like they do with athletes.

Maybe if you didn't skip all the cutscenes and then go "wuh wuhh what's the story I don't get it???" like a dumbass you wouldn't have this problem

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leon does take many extremely unpolicemanlike actions, such as trying to assist a black man

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Starks posted:

that's terrible but at least you're not the one murdering the dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXWh9sxAwQ0&t=390s

do all developers hate dogs all of a sudden

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Wasn't there controversy because you shot dogs in Wolfenstein 3d?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Hwurmp posted:

Parasite EIVe: Man Is The Real Mitochondria

the Schindler's List of getting your clothes blown off

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 15, 2020

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I think I was so traumatized by this scene that i had completely blocked it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fpo1SItv2Q&t=210s

what the gently caress game developers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They all read the screenwriting manual Save the Cat and took the wrong lessons from it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

I think I was so traumatized by this scene that i had completely blocked it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fpo1SItv2Q&t=210s

what the gently caress game developers

theres another scene in uhh new order i think where you kill a nazi and then his dog and taunt him with "killed your dog"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ilmucche posted:

Wasn't there controversy because you shot dogs in Wolfenstein 3d?

Yes actually, they replaced the dogs with giant rats in all but the PC version because of the SNES port's required censorship. This was also the version that changed the nazis into not-nazis and got rid of the Hitler iconography and stuff.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Maybe if you didn't skip all the cutscenes and then go "wuh wuhh what's the story I don't get it???" like a dumbass you wouldn't have this problem

There’s a saying in the video game industry: “if I need to watch cutscenes to understand the story, then all you’re doing is making a bad movie.”

Let the gameplay speak for itself. The cutscenes are just a little break for those who need it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Then don't complain about how you don't understand the story.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this thread owns

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

love to revel in ignorance

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm actually mad at this thread

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

CJacobs posted:

Then don't complain about how you don't understand the story.

Whatever happened to your surge 2 lp?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Starks posted:

There’s a saying in the video game industry: “if I need to watch cutscenes to understand the story, then all you’re doing is making a bad movie.”

this is actually one of Benjamin Franklin's sayings

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ilmucche posted:

Whatever happened to your surge 2 lp?

It's on hold right now because I have been ill for a while, it'll be back probably next week.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm actually mad at this thread

What, people climbing all over themselves to hate video games more than the last poster isn’t entertaining? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"I didn't know Leon was a cop" has to be one of the biggest troll lines I've seen this year