Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

YanniRotten posted:

Oof my team lead just pushed his only PR in months of being on the team and it adds a relative ton of code and introduces a new framework for something that could have done more concisely using things already in heavy use for the team. It’s also a Big Bang ‘make thing go’ ticket that was being worked on outside of our sprint workflow for literal months. I don’t realistically expect something that’s been baking so long will be reworked substantially but my gentlest of feedback is that the team may have difficulty supporting and debugging it.

I’ve got about one other functioning engineer in the team who’s able to sort of stay on task and actually help me, otherwise the team is either unfocused and chasing trivialities or unable to get a single (not unreasonably sized) ticket done over multiple sprints.

Meanwhile our sprints are snowballing as we double down on uncompleted work without rethinking priority or checking our capacity - we are currently overstuffed with about 3x what math says we can do.

I don’t dislike these people but I don’t get it, I’m used to being on a team that at minimum is more bought in about getting something useful out of scrum instead of turning it into a hopeless death march with story points.

Who is actually in charge of the backlog and the sprint planning? If you don't know, the answer is "You are now." You should be aiming for 80% of what you can actually accomplish.

That said, you might want to solve your problem via your feet. :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

How do you negotiate a rate for contract work? Previous job needs help upgrading a project I worked on but I've never done contracts before.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Take what you'd expect to make salaried for the same job, convert it to hourly, then double/triple it.

Double it again if you don't want to do it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Always list education (GPA isn't neccessary). As said, many government/government contracted jobs require it. One line shouldn't make/break a resume.

Pedestrian Xing posted:

How do you negotiate a rate for contract work? Previous job needs help upgrading a project I worked on but I've never done contracts before.

Quick and Dirty is take your yearly salary and divide by 1000. That is a rough rule of thumb though. You have more taxes you have to pay, and no benefits. If this is a side gig you can get away with a little less if it helps seal the deal, if you are unsure of how long they can actually keep paying you you should charge more to cover that uncertainty. Yearly div by 1000 for hourly isn't a bad starting place though.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
And when negotiating, remember that the fully loaded cost (what the company pays) of a full time employee is anywhere from 1.25x - 2x the employee’s salary.

(It’s a topic I know very little about, so other people can speak to it better than I can.)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

lifg posted:

And when negotiating, remember that the fully loaded cost (what the company pays) of a full time employee is anywhere from 1.25x - 2x the employee’s salary.

(It’s a topic I know very little about, so other people can speak to it better than I can.)
The DoL statistic is that 39% of an employee's compensation is benefits. But there's lots of other ways to tally up costs too. One of my favorites that few people think about : teams have managers, and the number of directs reporting up to one manager tops out around 8 at most companies. So for every individual contributor hire, account for 1/8+ of their manager's compensation.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Friday rant: I am so loving sick of Ruby and OO programming in general. I've been a Rails developer for close to 15 years and these days I split my time probably 75% typescript front-end, which I love, and 25% Rails. My Rails time is 20% banging out API endpoints and 80% writing unit tests for those endpoints/their underlying business logic service classes that I wish I didn't have to write.

I like my job, I like our app, but every time I have to write back-end code I just wish I was working in a completely different ecosystem.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i'm a front-end developer hired to do react front-end and ended up being thrown into back-end development out of nowhere (some TS node - which is nice - and lots of ancient, awful, gross PHP - not nice)

i know exactly how you feel

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

prom candy posted:

Friday rant: I am so loving sick of Ruby and OO programming in general. I've been a Rails developer for close to 15 years and these days I split my time probably 75% typescript front-end, which I love, and 25% Rails. My Rails time is 20% banging out API endpoints and 80% writing unit tests for those endpoints/their underlying business logic service classes that I wish I didn't have to write.

I like my job, I like our app, but every time I have to write back-end code I just wish I was working in a completely different ecosystem.

Is there any way you can move into a more front-end focused role without the API work?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm already about as FE focused as I can be at this job. We're a small team and I'm a pretty capable rails dev so it would really slow things down if I stopped being full stack. Maybe I should pitch a rewrite :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm reminded of somebody joking here about one of the back-end frameworks being all JavaScript with some notion of "hey I love the front-end stuff so much, why not make the back-end the same?" I think that was NodeJs...?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It's funny because JS used to be a punch line but TypeScript is actually pretty great. Most of the time when I'm writing ruby I'm just thinking "I wish this was typescript"

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm reminded of somebody joking here about one of the back-end frameworks being all JavaScript with some notion of "hey I love the front-end stuff so much, why not make the back-end the same?" I think that was NodeJs...?

Node is the backend JS runtime, but isn't a framework by itself. You don't need to work with the DOM and browser APIs, which are a big part of the pain in browser-side JS, but it's still JS.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

prom candy posted:

It's funny because JS used to be a punch line

i'm a huge JS fanboy and to be fair pre-ES2015 it really was a joke

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Inacio posted:

Someone post the "wat" talk

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Inacio posted:

Oh my god yeah I used to hate JS. I love it now.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Node came about when someone took "take your J's and stick it in your backend" literally.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

You guys are giving me hope. Got an offer to switch teams to a back-end TypeScript role, and as much as I'd like to keep doing Kotlin, maybe it won't be so bad.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Smugworth posted:

You guys are giving me hope. Got an offer to switch teams to a back-end TypeScript role, and as much as I'd like to keep doing Kotlin, maybe it won't be so bad.

Typescript along with some modern frameworks definitely changes things from old school JS. The compile time guarantees make an absolutely huge difference.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

I think I feel too much responsibility for things.

We are migrating our whole infrastructure to azure and everyone said the migration team would take care of everything.

They rervered 20% of my sprint to help the migration team and I have had like 15 "can we have a quick call"s with them and they have no idea how to manage our auth that was fully managed for us by the other platform.

Their architect just send the same diagram of a oauth flow and diagrams with lines between services.

Oh you where the last one to push any code to one of our java services, you must totally know how to migrate it to the new infrastructure.

gently caress architects who have no dev experience.

Oh we can offload you just take responsibility for the whole auth and estimate how long it would take for this random frontend dev you don't know to do it for you.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sistergodiva posted:

architects who have no dev experience.

How common are these? Come to think of it, I've never worked at a place that had an "architect" role.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

rt4 posted:

How common are these? Come to think of it, I've never worked at a place that had an "architect" role.

As far as I can tell, in enterprise development, it's not often how technically capable you are, but which friends you can make and who you can bamboozle into promotions by crapping on existing products in order to do a popular rewrite. The rewrite doesn't even have to be successful, it just needs good marketing.

My colleague makes a point sometimes of showing me the GitHub profiles of other engineers at his position, which is about the highest you can get as an IC. You can get by with GitHub contributions in the low teens if you go to enough meetings, apparently.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
There is no such thing as a competent, useful enterprise architect.

The only exception to this is the temporary few years where a stellar senior dev moves over for the money. This is before their knowledge becomes outdated and they are rusty from not having to solve any technical problems.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Xik posted:

There is no such thing as a competent, useful enterprise architect.

The only exception to this is the temporary few years where a stellar senior dev moves over for the money. This is before their knowledge becomes outdated and they are rusty from not having to solve any technical problems.

I disagree, but perhaps we have a different understanding of what an enterprise architect is.

Our enterprise architect is extremely useful despite never being a senior dev. His job simply does not require much development knowledge: he's mostly looking into how to get data from X to Y, describing interfaces, and very high level (data related) design. He's not involved in the design of our software at all. But for us software engineers it's still very useful to have somebody you can ask questions like "we need to use data about X from team Y and Z, what are our options for storage and format? Can we use a ingestion framework built by another team? Do we need tokenisation? Should we ask them for delta's or full pictures? Which cleanup or GDPR policies do we need? Etc".

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Walh Hara posted:

I disagree, but perhaps we have a different understanding of what an enterprise architect is.

Our enterprise architect is extremely useful despite never being a senior dev. His job simply does not require much development knowledge: he's mostly looking into how to get data from X to Y, describing interfaces, and very high level (data related) design. He's not involved in the design of our software at all. But for us software engineers it's still very useful to have somebody you can ask questions like "we need to use data about X from team Y and Z, what are our options for storage and format? Can we use a ingestion framework built by another team? Do we need tokenisation? Should we ask them for delta's or full pictures? Which cleanup or GDPR policies do we need? Etc".

Pretty much all of the questions you listed seem like they require development knowledge, though

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I've worked at a company where architects are basically just distinguished engineers (and they still do actual engineering work as well), I don't have any problems with this (other than the fact that job titles are stupid and don't mean anything outside a single company).

I've also worked at two places where they like to split the software engineer role into thinking and programming parts - they hire one person to actually come up with a technical solution and write it down as a detailed technical spec, and then they hire a second person who just translates technical specs to code. It didn't work well at either of the places I saw it, and I can't imagine it works well anywhere, but I know it's super common for big consulting companies in my area. I'm pretty sure that companies that do this are the reason for the architect role having a bad rep.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

How to double your billing with this one weird trick. Developers hate it!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

sunaurus posted:

I've worked at a company where architects are basically just distinguished engineers (and they still do actual engineering work as well), I don't have any problems with this (other than the fact that job titles are stupid and don't mean anything outside a single company).

I've also worked at two places where they like to split the software engineer role into thinking and programming parts - they hire one person to actually come up with a technical solution and write it down as a detailed technical spec, and then they hire a second person who just translates technical specs to code. It didn't work well at either of the places I saw it, and I can't imagine it works well anywhere, but I know it's super common for big consulting companies in my area. I'm pretty sure that companies that do this are the reason for the architect role having a bad rep.

a friend of mine worked on a similarly structured company, but dialed up to 11.
the "architects" would write specifications down to extreme details (talking class methods, parameters, parameter types and returns, interfaces, what tests would have to be written for each and how, etc) but they wouldn't do any "coding" (read: typing)
the "programmers" would just type it out. if anything went wrong they would have to bring it up with the "architects" and repeat.

"architects" made about 10x as much as the "programmers", of course.

he didn't stick around for long.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Were the coders in India?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

smackfu posted:

Were the coders in India?

no? yikes, dude.

according to him everyone (him included) were actual programmers with experience, most with uni degrees etc. it was just terrible, 20IQ management

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Yeah the place I left did that too: one guy became the Big Thinker who writes all the specs, everyone else was relegated to being some kind of glorified bullpen typist. The Big Thinker’s idea of modern architecture boiled down to drawing a magic box labelled “k8s” around everything.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I'm also an architect currently and my job seems to be mostly talking about how teams want to implement things and then making suggestions so they don't shoot themselves in the foot. Seems to work well enough, but sometimes the big picture gets lost.

It's almost as if there's no silver bullet????!!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Where do I apply to be the Big Brain Guy?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
"I'm more of an ideas guy"

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Sagacity posted:

I'm also an architect currently and my job seems to be mostly talking about how teams want to implement things and then making suggestions so they don't shoot themselves in the foot. Seems to work well enough, but sometimes the big picture gets lost.

It's almost as if there's no silver bullet????!!

There certainly isn't a silver bullet, but there are a lot of ways an org can shoot themselves in the foot. The best architect / tech directors / whatever the title might be seem to be those who are already very accomplished engineers themselves. I think that's the whole point, but it seems like some orgs perceive them less like 'Engineers who can now consult for very large scale, large reaching decisions' and more like, 'Engineering oversight and management'. If you hire for the latter, you are going to have a very, very bad time.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I just moved this DB to the DigitalOcean DBaaS and set up a standby node last week. It was previously self hosted (on a DO droplet) and had no redundancy.

:sweatdrop:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Hey all, I don't know if y'all have seen the stuff going down in GBS but I wanted to make sure everyone in CoC was aware we had a discord. It's a chill place, and feel free to PM me if this link expires.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Thanks! I mostly lurk this thread but am trying to identify all the different life rafts.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

please PM me with invite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Does anyone have any good resources on what to expect/how to best estimate effort for transitioning from a traditional workload automation platform to fully cloud-native services?

Due to our vendor raising their annual rates to an unreasonable degree myself and senior folks are putting together an alternative and they are keen to just do everything on AWS. I’m familiar with a decent amount of AWS dev and am the SME for our current tool so they’re coming to me for estimates in terms of hours to migrate and also to drive the effort.

Would it be reasonable to do an audit of “jobs” and just multiply that by a number?