Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
So I ended up with Bard, Beserker, Chemist, and Beserker. Guess I'll try for a triple crown this time. This is the first time I've had a chemist or used it in generally and its just cheating.

Also if anyone was wondering how I got by the sandworm, I grinded equip axe and just used it with 3 bards. I didn't see a chance of out healing it and doing 50-75 damage per shot wasn't feasible. I did decide to call the party team death metal since I had them using the death scythes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dancer / Mystic Knight / Dragoon / Samurai

Neat

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

drat, !Mug doesn't stack with !Spellblade does it

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So what would be considered the worst combination of the 'standard' fiesta? Monk/Zerk/Geo/Ranger? Can Geos even smash rods?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Because I'm a Millennial who can only communicate through memes, here's what I pulled with Fifth Job.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

DeathSandwich posted:

So what would be considered the worst combination of the 'standard' fiesta? Monk/Zerk/Geo/Ranger? Can Geos even smash rods?

Ranger isn't an Earth Crystal job. The worst normal draw you could get is probably Monk/Zerker/Geo/Dragoon. Four individually weak classes that don't synergise well together. Some rate Dancer lower than Dragoon, but those people be crazy.

And no, Geomancers can't break rods.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Because I'm a Millennial who can only communicate through memes, here's what I pulled with Fifth Job.

This rules. :vince:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Ranger isn't an Earth Crystal job. The worst normal draw you could get is probably Monk/Zerker/Geo/Dragoon. Four individually weak classes that don't synergise well together. Some rate Dancer lower than Dragoon, but those people be crazy.

And no, Geomancers can't break rods.

There's also some debate about whether Red Mage or Berserker is the worse Water job.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Red mage with 0 other mages is painful, though so is not being able to control your character so

Speaking of, i got first job zerker

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
I'm firmly on the 'Red Mage worse' side. Lots of jobs can paste W1, but Berserker can be a damage carry all game long, however unreliable it may be. Red Mage runs out of steam unless you keep putting quarters in it, and even that starts to diminish eventually.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nihilarian posted:

Red mage with 0 other mages is painful, though so is not being able to control your character so

Speaking of, i got first job zerker

Redmage can still smash rods though, giving him some level of use on top of passing red magic to your Geo to make him marginally less useless. Monk/zerk/geo/drg straight up has some bad synergy.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Calling Red Mage on the same level of weak as Berserker is insane to me. Sure, it's not a great job in a vacuum, but it doesn't take much to make Red Mage decent. Getting another mage is honestly the ideal state, but any job with an equip weapons ability makes Red Mage into a good physical fighter who can break rods.

Really I'd only argue for Berserker over Red Mage if your Wind crystal is Thief, your Fire is Geomancer or Bard, and your Earth is Dancer.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 15, 2020

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

DeathSandwich posted:

Redmage can still smash rods though, giving him some level of use on top of passing red magic to your Geo to make him marginally less useless. Monk/zerk/geo/drg straight up has some bad synergy.

Yeah, in a vacuum I think you can make the argument either way, but with that party I'd absolutely rather take the red mage, if only to make the more obnoxious world 1 fights suck less.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Zerk generally works best with mages and frail jobs like Thief, Bard, and Dancer, as those jobs like Zerk's Strength and Stamina and Zerk likes their Magic and Agility-passing abilities. Zerk doesn't shine as well against other melee jobs besides maybe something like Equip Swords or Two Handed, especially if they don't have the Magic to make Gaia Hammer or Rune Axe shine.

Likewise, Red Mage stands out more in a physical team, as Dualcast Cura, Protect, Raise, and rods end up surprisingly useful when your options are otherwise limited. In mage teams, they get overshadowed and only exist as "That job with the ability that makes my broken mages more broken" after World 1.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Monk, Dancer, Time Mage, Thief.

Well, my Dancer will certainly be able to put out some real damage, once I get a tiara on them

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Ahh here we go.

https://twitter.com/ff5forfutures/status/1272446006974492672?s=21

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How long does the fiesta last? I dragged my feet on jumping in but I want to actually do it this year.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
End of August. 2 and a half months.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Kyrosiris posted:

It's a slight detour and requires a fight, but yes.

I even saved it in a run where I started with White/Time because you always save the ribbon.

It'd be funny if you could walk back into the ruined castle after it explodes and get a Hair Band if you left the Ribbon alone. Like the Aegis/Flame Shield, but even more painful.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Monk/Summoner/Geo/Dragoon.

I have Summoner so I suppose endgame is two people slinging Air Knife Syldras.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

AweStriker posted:

Monk/Summoner/Geo/Dragoon.

I have Summoner so I suppose endgame is two people slinging Air Knife Syldras.

Pfft, three people slinging Air knives. May as well let the DRG join the slydra party. What else is he going to do?

Edit: vvvv rip you. How do you even do Sandworm with 4 zerks, just overlevel and pray they attack right?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 15, 2020

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Liquid Flame finally down with Quadzerks. Cutting it close too. Now I can finally draw my next job and be done with this...

:frog: Sandworm here I come...

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oof, you're gonna want at least low 40s for a realistic chance at success. The good news is, since you already know you have chemist, you can kill two birds with one stone and stock up on drug money and turtle shells at the same time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Total time somewhere around 7 hours, could've gone way faster if I didn't have a compulsive need to grind things that I don't need, like all those Turtle Shells and Dragon Fangs I didn't use.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Arzaac posted:

Calling Red Mage on the same level of weak as Berserker is insane to me. Sure, it's not a great job in a vacuum, but it doesn't take much to make Red Mage decent. Getting another mage is honestly the ideal state, but any job with an equip weapons ability makes Red Mage into a good physical fighter who can break rods.

Really I'd only argue for Berserker over Red Mage if your Wind crystal is Thief, your Fire is Geomancer or Bard, and your Earth is Dancer.
I mean, this is because Berserker genuinely isn't weak, just limited. We can argue about how much of its power comes down to the Death Sickle and then the Rune Axe (and Quake Hammer if you're on SNES), but in a game where a lot of the time the more complex solutions are needed due to a simple lack of outgoing damage, a fursuit full of steroids (and a bag full of shareable axes) is welcome no matter how uncontrollable.

Chaotic Neutral fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 15, 2020

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I'd rather have Berserker than Red Mage as Berserker and Equip Axes is really useful for fast forward grinding where you just want to hold A and have numbers go up.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
A few years back I did random upgrade run that ended that went knight/monk/beserker/red mage and I can't stand red mages since. I had to break so many rods and dual cast so many cure 2. I'd take a beserker any day over a red mage especially late game.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I'd take a Geomancer over a Red Mage. It's at least more interesting of a class.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Alright I got Black Mage start.
Does the GBA version have increased encounter rate? Seems like it. Also seems laggy.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

So I'm not quite at the Earth Crystal yet, but I already have Blue Mage / Berserker / Bard. Finding this pretty funny, because the only other Fiesta I actually joined beyond signing up was my first one: Blue Mage / Berserker / Bard / Dancer. I'm curious about what I'll pull soon.

McFrugal posted:

Alright I got Black Mage start.
Does the GBA version have increased encounter rate? Seems like it. Also seems laggy.

Apparently the sound engine stuff makes it laggy. There's a patch for it that also replaces the soundtrack with the SNES version.

Swastikatzen
Apr 10, 2006

I pulled Blue Mage/Zerker/Geo/Chemist.

I'm guessing the Geo will end up with equip axes for the strength and a chicken knife, while the zerker gets !blue for rune axe, etc?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Pulled Dragoon for my wind job on a pure chaos run. Does that mean my entire party is gonna be earth crystal jobs and/or Mime? lol

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Got Knight and Red Mage so far. Is this even Pure Chaos?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Pulled Dragoon for my wind job on a pure chaos run. Does that mean my entire party is gonna be earth crystal jobs and/or Mime? lol

No, any of your selected jobs can come from any crystal.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is there a decent guide for how to Chemist? Like what combos you'll want and where to farm the items?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Shyfted One posted:

I'd take a Geomancer over a Red Mage. It's at least more interesting of a class.

More interesting than one of the most versatile classes in the game?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Samuel Clemens posted:

More interesting than one of the most versatile classes in the game?

Doing everything kind of badly isn't interesting.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

This year's draw: Black Mage, Dragoon, Monk, Ranger. Yet another year I'm suckling at the teat of flame ring healing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zerker/Zerker/Mime/Time

This is going to be a long world 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Doing everything kind of badly isn't interesting.

As opposed to Geomancer, which does one thing badly?