Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Looks like half a year's BIOS update drought might come to a halt soon:

https://twitter.com/aschilling/status/1270293419697594368

OC.net discussion.

Enables per-CCX OC for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I ordered something from AliExpress on March 7th and it still hasn't made it to the USA.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I ordered something from AliExpress on March 7th and it still hasn't made it to the USA.

God, that sucks. Was it a Yeston Cute Pet?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I bought a pair of earphones for Covid work at home from AliExpress in March that's still stuck somewhere in China's post-customs shipping areas. They'll probably have one of those storage auction TV shows to get rid of all the stored stuff when they open up.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i hope not i still havent received 2 bongs i ordered on ebay

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
So apparently they delayed 4000 series until next year cos the 3000 series are selling gangbusters

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So apparently they delayed 4000 series until next year cos the 3000 series are selling gangbusters

Source?

I wouldn't be surprised though given the 'rona. Everybody lost a couple months of work and shipping remains a mess.

edit found it:

https://twitter.com/chiakokhua/status/1272426307628892163

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 15, 2020

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

AMD has learned nothing, and doesn't even have that killer nicstinct.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SourKraut posted:

Their original plan was late 2020. That seems to hint it's still late 2020. They told investors Q4. If it launches at CES in the first week of January that's only a 1 week delay from end of Q4.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Khorne posted:

Their original plan was late 2020. That seems to hint it's still late 2020. They told investors Q4. If it launches at CES in the first week of January that's only a 1 week delay from end of Q4.

I was mostly joking and trying to make a horrible pun, but it failed flat on its face. :(

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

If this plays out (Zen 3 in December/January rather than September) I might go ahead and upgrade my 2700s to 3900XTs. Or possibly just plain 3900Xs, depending on how prices and performance looks.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The leaks have had Zen3 late this year/early next year since Zen2 launched tbh. Zen4/AM5 isn’t launching until 2022 so there is time to fill.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
TSMC giving Huawei the heave-ho frees up a lot of supply. It'll be interesting to see if AMD can snap some up.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

TSMC giving Huawei the heave-ho

They what? :rip: What are their options? Samsung is out of the picture, I assume. Some 28nm fab inside china?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I figured the separation was coming for TSMC to get the major tax credits/investment for the US fab in Arizona. It also makes me wonder whether a significant chunk of the future US fab will go towards Apple's ARM-based Macs.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

SourKraut posted:

Why would AMD release better stuff sooner? Intel needs to get off 14nm and until they do AMD will just wring as many sales as they can out of each CPU release until Intel has a legitimate competitor.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Budzilla posted:

Why would AMD release better stuff sooner? Intel needs to get off 14nm and until they do AMD will just wring as many sales as they can out of each CPU release until Intel has a legitimate competitor.

SourKraut posted:

I was mostly joking and trying to make a horrible pun, but it failed flat on its face. :(

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I managed to get one of those MSI X570 Tomahawk boards by driving 60km for it.

It was DOA. No power going to the board. On the bright side I managed to get an Asrock X570 Taichi for a great price.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Budzilla posted:

Why would AMD release better stuff sooner?
Intel still outsell AMD by a huge margin. AMD should make the case to buy their stuff as compelling as possible before Intel get their poo poo together and close the gap.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Intel still outsell AMD by a huge margin. AMD should make the case to buy their stuff as compelling as possible before Intel get their poo poo together and close the gap.

With how scarce Zen 2 chips were at launch, building up inventory without osbourning current cpus doesn't sound bad. What good is launching early if I can't buy the thing until a couple months later regardless?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I have to say the rumoured 4700G 8 core 65W APU is tempting me to make a proxmox host and replace my desktop Linux machine with a VM. Combined with PCIe4 opening up the possibility of boards with more PCIe x4-16 slots (and without losing them when you use an APU). Looks like combined with an AsRock B550 Taichi I'd get a Gen3x8 for a passthrough GPU, Gen3x8 for a 10GbE card, a Gen3x4 for a HBA adaptor plus two spare x1 slots. By comparison the X470 generation with an APU would only have offered one Gen3x8, one Gen2x8 and two Gen2x1.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I didn't see your second post also the GPU thread is that way >>>

AMD were planning Intel to be selling 10nm products in volume years ago. I would like AMD to release new CPUs soon but I don't expect them to; Intel hosed up real bad and even if they release 10nm this year (lol no) they will still be behind AMD. People will buy Intel just due inertia, it won't matter how good AMD will be. The reverse is true, look at Bulldozer.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The last time AMD had objectively superior products to Intel they maxed out around 50% market share. And that was with CPUs that were better in every way, there weren't any "but what about single thread limited high framerate esports games?" reasons for buying Intel. (IIRC Intel fanboys at the time justified their purchases by pointing to AMD's chipset issues, which were mostly a problem from the early Athlon days that weren't really a thing anymore by then)

And yeah, the r/AMD crowd ensures that AMD has a market share floor regardless of the crap they're putting out, but it's way lower than Intel's.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Ryzen XT CPUs and A520 mobos announced.

Also full XT CPU product pages are up.

I am truly whelmed.

Edit: typo (A520, not B520)

mdxi fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 16, 2020

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
At least did they increase the IF clock or some poo poo besides +200mhz?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

AMD is outselling their wildest expectations and zen2 sales are still strong. Comet Lake is underperforming. At least in the enthusiast market. Likely because it's the same as the 8000/9000 series for most people so there's little incentive to upgrade, and there's no incentive for people with zen2 to switch to it either.

In the server market, zen3 needs to come out as soon as possible. In the laptop market, the sooner they can move forward the better. Although they now have a fairly competitive laptop CPU for the time in some people's lifetimes.

AMD is still in a rush to get zen3 out and aren't stalling, but they do have the luxury to push consumer launch back a few months if they feel it will result in a better launch and smoother transition from zen2 to zen3. The zen+ to zen2 transition sucked with massive supply shortages. Intel already launched what they're launching for the next ~12 months in the enthusiast market and zen2 competes with it fine

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 16, 2020

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Was curious if any B550 boards were in stock on Amazon this morning and wound up impulse buying a ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS that will be here tomorrow. Will follow up with any positive or negative experiences.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Theris posted:

The last time AMD had objectively superior products to Intel they maxed out around 50% market share. And that was with CPUs that were better in every way, there weren't any "but what about single thread limited high framerate esports games?" reasons for buying Intel. (IIRC Intel fanboys at the time justified their purchases by pointing to AMD's chipset issues, which were mostly a problem from the early Athlon days that weren't really a thing anymore by then)

And yeah, the r/AMD crowd ensures that AMD has a market share floor regardless of the crap they're putting out, but it's way lower than Intel's.

the r/AMD people are not a market share, they're a rounding error. their floor market share for the 2010s was budget PCs and craptops.

Also, they never got close to 50% back in 2006. Their high water mark back then was about 25% (because intel was bribing OEMs to keep AMD out). The graphs that show 50% are from passmark, aka user-submitted enthusiasts. Which is interesting & useful data, but not exactly representative of the big picture. For example, passmark still has intel ahead 84% to 14% on laptops.

Honestly if they're delaying desktop 4000 to ship more Renoir CPUs that would be the best scenario of all for them. This is the first time ever that AMD has had a competitive laptop CPU going into actually nice laptops. AMD becoming an option in good laptops would make intel poo poo themselves far more than AMD having even 100% of the desktop enthusiast market.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Budzilla posted:

I didn't see your second post also the GPU thread is that way >>>

It was actually a poor joke about Intel having bought the company that makes Killer NICs, which I know everyone has made jokes about in the past.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
heck yeah A520s!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

cmonnn athlon 4000g

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

cmonnn athlon 4000g

the lowest part on the leaked lists for desktop are the 4/8 R3 4200G. there are some leaked "Athlon Gold/Silver" parts (along with an R3 3350G), but they all appear to be Picasso and not Renoir. guess we will see soon.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I am sure the answer is "gently caress off we dont know" but I have a B450 that 99.9% will support zen3, but I currently have 32GB of slow RAM. Is DDR4-3200 fast enough for zen3 or it's better to wait? i was hoping to snag before a price jump, or have time to watch for a sale...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

charity rereg posted:

I am sure the answer is "gently caress off we dont know" but I have a B450 that 99.9% will support zen3, but I currently have 32GB of slow RAM. Is DDR4-3200 fast enough for zen3 or it's better to wait? i was hoping to snag before a price jump, or have time to watch for a sale...

1) DDR-3200 isn't slow, it's average, unless the timings are also crap. You can get slightly more performance with 3600, but not enough to be worth re-buying 32gb of ram. And everything above 3600 is very much in the diminishing returns zone.

2) If your B450 supports manually setting the IF clock, presumably it will also support that on Zen 3. Raising the IF clock was the main reason to get 3600 ram on Zen 1 & 1+.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

charity rereg posted:

The likelihood you'll encounter a case where upgrading to faster RAM would make a substantial difference is tiny. Zen 3 is also doing away with the CCX interface connecting groups of cores, so it's possible that will no longer be a speed bottleneck dependent upon system memory speed. The architecture's likely to be as chock full of cache as Zen 2 is, which also somewhat lessens the immediate impact of system memory speed. It is too early to know for sure, but as Klyith said, it's probably not worth re-buying that much perfectly good RAM.

Hell, my family PC's a Ryzen 1700 getting by on handed down DDR4-2400, and it's just fine :q:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I have DDR4-2400 not 3200, was looking to upgrade in lockstep with zen3. My understanding is that on the high end (2k, 100 fps+) it mattered.

On zen2 i've seen an easy 10-15 FPS improvement just between DDR4-2400 & 3200, which is honestly a pretty decent boost. Some it's more, some it's less, but I've seen it has a big impact in Arma 3, which I'm stupid enough to play. The 32GB will just get passed down to my plex server/htpc. I was planning on getting a B550 but since I dont have to have plenty of $$ in the budget for a ~$110 RAM purchase.

It's the last place I'll have left to upgrade for a long time too :v:

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 16, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That GIGABYTE B550 Vision D looks pretty. Kind of a shame about the 8x/8x slot config for gaming uses though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Cygni posted:

That GIGABYTE B550 Vision D looks pretty. Kind of a shame about the 8x/8x slot config for gaming uses though.
It's still x16 if you've just using the one slot, besides, isn't the actual difference between x8 and x16 pretty marginal? I think the real shame is they went for dual GbE ports instead of a single 2.5G one like quite a few other B550 boards. I wonder how many actually use both ports on a dual-port motherboard whereas 2.5G does look like it might be gaining traction and we just need some sensible SOHO switches to hit the market.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 17, 2020