Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Taco night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I also did tacos last night as a spin on this Kenji recipe that calls for marinating chicken in goddamn mayonnaise alongside other stuff. I went off to look for a chimichurri recipe and this sounded so weird I wanted to try it. I wound up using a cilantro-based sofrito alongside the 1/3rd of a cup of mayo. I marinated it for six-ish hours then cooked it, chopped it, and served it atop flour tortillas with beans and rice on the side and an heirloom tomato salsa fresca. A+, will mayo marinade chicken again. the recipe below shouldnt be paywalled

https://cooking.nytimes.com./recipes/1020543-mayo-marinated-chicken-with-chimichurri

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Got hungry for some Night Steak.

Cast iron on the grill is my new favorite way to do steak. Pan heats up super fast. Don’t give a poo poo about all the smoke and butter splatter because I’m outside. Can still baste the steak with the butter and rosemary.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My first few ideas fell through due to produce being funky or forgetting that one of our skillets just broke the other day so I finally just got out some soy chorizo we had in the back of the fridge and made some little pastries out of that, a little sofrito that used up a bunch of stray peppers that were chilling out, and some very quick pseudo-refried beans.

I'm happy with them, it was definitely one of those "it's hot out, I don't want to go to the store, and we have a bunch of things that aren't going to be usable forever," and they made a ton so lunches and midnight snacks are accounted for through the middle of the week.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Pickled red onion with habanero

Chile manzano salsa

6lb of lard and 3 hours of beer drinking time...

Carnitas

Refried black beans with epazote and avocado leaves, carnitas, onion, cilantro, pickled onion, salsa and lime juice.

Green stuff is some fried jalapeño emulsion with chicken bouillon, vegetable oil, garlic, and lime juice.

These tacos are from leftovers, yesterday added guacamole instead of beans. Mash raw garlic clove with salt in molcajete and add avocado.

They were ok.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 15, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Colonel Tso's Chicken.

Overall: not bad, not great. Not really going to enter the rotation like Trader Joe's Orange Chicken.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
One of many last night:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tonight I made some Chinese barbecue pork belly and it was divine. (NOTE: if you make this recipe know that after you take the foil off and start to let the cooking liquid reduce, it will take basically forever if you do it at 350, you can do it for a while but you will inevitably need to pour it into a saucepan and boil it until it's the thickness you want, the oven will never get you there)

It made some wonderful sandwiches (if not the most pretty), with a mayo/glaze mixture, plus some hoisin, gochujang chili sauce, cilantro and scallions.

Also this weekend I made some glazed doughnut bread pudding with a homemade jam my mom got from a coworker. (BA recipe, obvi a little poorly timed)

Topped it with a little bit of cold cream:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Ooh I've got a bunch of pork belly in the deep freeze and we ask love char Siu. Going to make that soon.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Made a first of my weekly GBS chosen meals today. It was the test kitchen baked ziti was not half bad. Added a spinach salad on the side to make it "healthy".

I really need to step up my pretty garnish game though

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Sous vide flap/bavette steak with chimichurri and bocconconi on salad, local warba new potatoes and mayo

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Derpies posted:

Made a first of my weekly GBS chosen meals today. It was the test kitchen baked ziti was not half bad. Added a spinach salad on the side to make it "healthy".

I really need to step up my pretty garnish game though

nice greens lol

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I have leftovers for a year...

Ground some garlic and salt into a paste on the molcajete before adding avocado.

So far three days eating the same thing and it doesn't look like I will get bored of it soon.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Crusty Nutsack posted:

nice greens lol

The teaspoon of parsley really adds that needed ruffage!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

ogarza posted:

I have leftovers for a year...

Ground some garlic and salt into a paste on the molcajete before adding avocado.

So far three days eating the same thing and it doesn't look like I will get bored of it soon.

I know someone you can send your leftovers to :swoon:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Rouladen and spaetzle

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Taco game is incredible.

Couple of things today made between me and my wife... She ended up on a night shift on care Sunday, so we decided to switch the traditional roast over to Monday.

Silverside of beef roasted with thyme, mushrooms and onions, then finished in its own gravy, served up with beefy, stock-tossed roasted Jersey Royal potatoes, and with roasted asparagus and green beans mixed up with a little lemon juice, sea salt and garlic, and Yorkshire puddings that'd make anyone proud.

Dessert was a cheesecake, with orange and vanilla infused cream cheese, topped with mandarin segments, a sweet orange juice jelly, and a thick, buttery base.

Nothing tastes better than a kitchen full of love together.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Second time ever cooking couscous and it was delicious

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Olpainless posted:

Dessert was a cheesecake, with orange and vanilla infused cream cheese, topped with mandarin segments, a sweet orange juice jelly, and a thick, buttery base.

Nothing tastes better than a kitchen full of love together.

That is art.

Also...

How Wonderful! posted:

I also love his soy maple glazed tofu which I riff on a lot with different sauces and stuff when I just want a quick dinner. You can also make that one slightly healthier by baking the tofu first before basting it.

I made this! Pic incoming as soon as I can get to my phone. We really enjoyed it, even our daughter was into it. Served it over a bed of shredded red cabbage and jasmine rice with some brussel sprouts (leftovers I wanted to use up) and garnished with seaweed snacks, sesame seeds and chives.

Aaaand pic

Tofu wasn't quite as crispy as I'd wanted. I think either I didn't have the heat in the pan high enough or didn't drain it as well as it needed. Came out more of a light to medium brown than the dark brown the recipe suggested it would, even with an extra minute frying on each side. No biggie, and thoroughly enjoyable even as my first foray into tofu. It's nice to have something else in my repertoire. Not sure why but I'd always had the impression that tofu was tricky to cook with and this certainly doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks for the rec, How Wonderful!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Quiet Feet posted:

That is art.

Also...

Thankyou!

quote:

I made this! Pic incoming as soon as I can get to my phone. We really enjoyed it, even our daughter was into it. Served it over a bed of shredded red cabbage and jasmine rice with some brussel sprouts (leftovers I wanted to use up) and garnished with seaweed snacks, sesame seeds and chives.

Aaaand pic

Tofu wasn't quite as crispy as I'd wanted. I think either I didn't have the heat in the pan high enough or didn't drain it as well as it needed. Came out more of a light to medium brown than the dark brown the recipe suggested it would, even with an extra minute frying on each side. No biggie, and thoroughly enjoyable even as my first foray into tofu. It's nice to have something else in my repertoire. Not sure why but I'd always had the impression that tofu was tricky to cook with and this certainly doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks for the rec, How Wonderful!

Honestly, that looks delicious and I'd love to smash it down my face. Need to get some tofu in soon. Have spotted a local shop stocking tempeh though, so might have to look at something with that soon!

Anyway...

Bit of an indulgent supper tonight, using up some stuff in the fridge from last night's supper.

A rich, tasty, Guinness and mixed mushroom risotto with tarragon and cream; Topped off with fried shredded beef and oyster mushrooms, tossed through with Guinness and wholegrain mustard reduced down; and deep fried king oyster mushroom ; garnished with crispy tarragon.

Really nice... Guinness and mushroom makes such a nice risotto base I'm actually disappointed I haven't done it earlier! So rich and creamy, but the sharpness of the mustard on the beef cuts through it really well.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Two more dinners from my GBS menu, a veggie stew that looked like an open sewer in a slum but my wife loved it:

And some chicken parm I made tonight.

Tomorrow is a broccoli soup!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

A Good Page.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Quick weeknight nudes with leftover pad ka prao, yibin yacai, laoganma chili crisp, green onions.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Grand Fromage posted:

Quick weeknight nudes with leftover pad ka prao, yibin yacai, laoganma chili crisp, green onions.

We've been using laoganma in goddamn everything. It's too good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

silvergoose posted:

We've been using laoganma in goddamn everything. It's too good.

I just wish the full range of laoganmas were available here. I have only been able to find chili crisp, black bean, and preserved tofu. There's like 20 different varieties in China and I miss them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Grand Fromage posted:

I just wish the full range of laoganmas were available here. I have only been able to find chili crisp, black bean, and preserved tofu. There's like 20 different varieties in China and I miss them.

poo poo, I was unaware there were others. The chili crisp is so good...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

silvergoose posted:

poo poo, I was unaware there were others. The chili crisp is so good...

It is good, but it's also merely a basic chili oil. If you ever come across the la san ding (辣三丁) version it is ace.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Penne with spinach, tomatoes, and sunflower seeds. Super simple to make. Delicious warm or cold.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Last two nights of GBS menu choices. Both were winners.

First was 3 ingredient broccoli cheddar soup with rye ham and cheese sandwiches (rye imported from Finland)

Tonight was "Bachelor Stir Fry" so just Shredded Rotisserie chicken and stir fry veggies and stir fry sauce.

Both were child approved and delicious.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Self-isolation dinner. I have not been to a grocery store in 21 days. Pork chops with mustard garlic pan sauce, instant mashed potatoes and carrot sticks. (The carrots were sprouting and had to be used or discarded.)

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Yesterday, I stopped at a place called Detroit Fleat, which is an “eatery and food truck park.” It’s a bar and grill with resident food trucks parked on the back patio. I got two sweet potato and black bean tacos. These are them:

They were very good, but those two tacos, which could fit in the palm of a child’s hand, set me back NINE DOLLARS, plus a couple bucks for the guy on the truck. I decided to take a shot at making something similar at home. These are mine:

The truck tacos kick my rear end in presentation, but mine tasted phenomenal. The only thing is, I just now realized I ate mine without the lime! Argh. It really sucks that I’m going to have to make more of them tomorrow to teach myself a lesson.

I didn’t have any sour cream on hand, so I used some of the very tart yogurt I culture at home. Next time, some crema oaxaca and/or cotija. Well, maybe not next time, since I’ll probably have to make them tomorrow as I already peeled the other sweet potato. I also have no idea where the good latin groceries are around here.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Grand Fromage posted:

It is good, but it's also merely a basic chili oil. If you ever come across the la san ding (辣三丁) version it is ace.

This one? https://www.amazon.com/LaoGanMa-Lao-Gan-Ma-Spicy/dp/B007DMOZD6 Rutabaga is interesting. My local sells one with Kohlrabi. Similar?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

droll posted:

This one? https://www.amazon.com/LaoGanMa-Lao-Gan-Ma-Spicy/dp/B007DMOZD6 Rutabaga is interesting. My local sells one with Kohlrabi. Similar?

That's it. I'm 99% sure it has dried daikon in it, but Chinese doesn't really make much distinction between radishes/carrots/turnips/etc so it gets mistranslated.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
First time cooking thai and first time making dumplings...

Made some shrimp kanom jeeb, brushed with the oil where I fried the garlic... they were not bad.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

ogarza posted:

First time cooking thai and first time making dumplings...

Made some shrimp kanom jeeb, brushed with the oil where I fried the garlic... they were not bad.

:swoon: those look INSANE! Nice job.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
First bird I raised myself to eat! This was one of the roosters we sent off to be processed the other day. These fat bastards are delicious!

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I made flan

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Surf & Surf.

This is a patented name and concept. No one else can use it without paying me money.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Surf & Surf.

This is a patented name and concept. No one else can use it without paying me money.

gently caress that looks good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Surf & Surf.

Is that a lobster roll?
I’ve never been “into” lobster but drat, I want one.