Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
枪杆子里面出政权

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Phil Moscowitz posted:

枪杆子里面出政权

Big words from a guy who didn't even have plasma rifles :colbert:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

A battle of store-brand Scalias is pretty cool, but that one had too many pages.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
The article makes good points but I think we’re pretty far from the triumvirate era, arguably we haven’t even beat Tiberius to death with a table leg yet (in the modern era at least, I think there is a distinct separation in pre and post 14th amendment America)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

BigHead posted:

Goddamn that strikeout list in Alito's dissent is brutal to read (edit: page 17 of the dissent). He's just so callous about the way he describes terrible discrimination. He gives no fucks about literally crossing gay people off a list of acceptable human beings.

His whole dissent is loving awful. Very very loving awful. Ugh.

And as a gay dude working where I work, good.

Alito has been an embarrassment since day one. He's by far the worst and most nakedly lazy on the court at hiding how empty his philosophy is.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Can’t wait for the first case finding that furries are a protected class.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Omerta posted:

Can’t wait for the first case finding that furries are a protected class.

Already in under state extensions of ADA as service animals.

They have to keep the leash on at all times in public, but that's rarely a problem.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

EwokEntourage posted:

The article makes good points but I think we’re pretty far from the triumvirate era, arguably we haven’t even beat Tiberius to death with a table leg yet (in the modern era at least, I think there is a distinct separation in pre and post 14th amendment America)

Next time Uncle Moscowitz is here, you should ask him about the 60s. A whole slew of reformers were assassinated under very suspicious circumstances. I mean, the FBI double-pinky swore they were uninvolved so...

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

I presented this thesis some months ago, and the only caveat I suggest now is that we're all to fat and lazy to climb the steps to the Capitol

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Thank G-d for the Law of Return.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Toona the Cat posted:

This frying pan is getting really hot, better jump out!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

sullat posted:

Next time Uncle Moscowitz is here, you should ask him about the 60s. A whole slew of reformers were assassinated under very suspicious circumstances. I mean, the FBI double-pinky swore they were uninvolved so...

yea, but not really any major politicians (JFK wasn't really a reformer), which is where I'd put the Gracchi brothers but I am just half assing this analogy.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Bobby Kennedy was a pretty major politician.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

Oh yeah they're doing really well, politically, and aren't ruled by an openly corrupt right-wing autocrat, probably.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Bobby Kennedy was a pretty major politician.

Look man I already said I was half assing this analogy

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Vox Nihili posted:

Oh yeah they're doing really well, politically, and aren't ruled by an openly corrupt right-wing autocrat, probably.

gently caress

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Vox Nihili posted:

They're all doing this hilarious tweet but for ~textualism~

christ

I had forgotten that tweet and now I want to sue you for bringing it back up

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

https://patrickwyman.substack.com/p/dont-quote-laws-to-men-with-swords

also this is well worth a read in terms of law oriented stuff. i really cannot wait to see what a generation coming up right now in this era of unrest and an increasingly naked instrumental view of the law does in terms of law, policy, and governance when faced with rising temperatures and ocean waters

This me tagging this so I remember to read it later when I'm dying on a breathing machine because my area is trying to win the covid award.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

christ

I had forgotten that tweet and now I want to sue you for bringing it back up

I just set a calendar reminder to repost it in exactly a year.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Was there a second round bet on EW probation?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

I think its just a cry for help from EW

also eke out is EW pretending to be a cajun

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

lol saw that coming, rip EW.

Set a calendar reminder for the next betting round.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EwokEntourage posted:

I think its just a cry for help from EW

also eke out is EW pretending to be a cajun

Hold on, I'm gonna venture into a QCS thread titled "Rape Discourse and D&D: A Reckoning" to strike out at my Posting Foes. Let's see how this shakes out,

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I clicked on that thread and started scrolling and saw just how much text people had typed up on the topic and promptly backed away.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Hold on, I'm gonna venture into a QCS thread titled "Rape Discourse and D&D: A Reckoning" to strike out at my Posting Foes. Let's see how this shakes out,

A reckoning indeed.

EW I recommend the 12 step "don't post in D&D" program.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Eminent Domain posted:

A reckoning indeed.

EW I recommend the 12 step "don't post in D&D" program.

In the most recent case, he was probated for whining about D&D in QCS.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

In the most recent case, he was probated for whining about D&D in QCS.

I feel posting in D&D QCS threads is included but I'm also guilty of that sin.

When I saw the post I figured he was going to get dinged, wasn't expecting a month tho.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Vox Nihili posted:

I just set a calendar reminder to repost it in exactly a year.
finally, after all these years, I have a worthy archnemesis

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

and i can finally move up from Discendo Vox

now i know how trump felt when he went from jeb to hillary

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Are there any paralegals here? Do you enjoy your job? I've been a nurse for the last 10 years and want to transition to a new career path. I would think that experience would be helpful somewhere.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Paralegals are too busy to be allowed to post.

Go to law school instead.

I'm kidding don't go to law school FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DO IT

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

This Riker 2 Riker exchange made me very happy.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Nurse to paralegal should be the other way around

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

Nurse to paralegal should be the other way around

Nah, nursing is more physically demanding. If you're used to cleaning up messes left by doctors and dealing with demanding patients, cleaning up (virtual) messes left by attorneys and dealing with demanding clients isn't much of a stretch, just you're doing it from a desk and a computer rather than a nurse's station in a decaying hospital.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

loopsheloop posted:

Are there any paralegals here? Do you enjoy your job? I've been a nurse for the last 10 years and want to transition to a new career path. I would think that experience would be helpful somewhere.

All my paralegals say they love their job, and the work environment, especially because we keep the cages spotless and the water bottles filled up.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

loopsheloop posted:

There are ways to transfer in to the law as a nurse without being a paralegal. It's essentially consultant work, but you can also be somewhat of a case manager.

What a paralegal does is a moving target depending on the firm/company you're with too. So I don't think with your nursing background you would need extra schooling to get a foot in the door. Any paralegal they want you to do would be secondary to your nursing expertise and experience.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Looks like SCOTUS saved DACA.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/19pdf/18-587_5ifl.pdf

Between this and LGBTQ rights being preserved, Roberts is just teeing it up for Trump to skate on the tax return subpoenas, right?

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 18, 2020

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Real Talk:

Mom's been a nurse for 35 years, i've had paralegals for 10.

1. Obvs. no blood and piss in the legal department, and no hauling 3 dove patients out of wheelchairs.
2. Not usually a hard clock-in/clock-out at the law firm; some places its very common you need to stay late several times a week.
3. Probably more stress as a paralegal, unless you were like an ER nurse or something, but its not that bad. This is a world of conflict, however, so dealing with conflict even by osmosis or proximity is part of the job.
4. The actual work is 100% administrative. The higher up you go, the more autonomy and decision-making you will do, but even then is 90% follow the flow chart.
5. The work is usually interesting! As long as you're not working at a car-wreck mill of a firm, you will take on dozens of unique, interesting cases every year.
5.5. That said, the stuff you do on every case is generally the same thing. Prep and mail the same letters, sort and index documents, prepare the same shells for documents, receive and catalogue things that get filed, calendar dates and deadlines as they come in. Sort of like, you're always jogging (doing the same things), but you're constantly jogging past new and interesting places (different cases.)
6. Dealing with clients is as bad as you imagine sometimes, and just like patients you'll have your favorites, and you'll have the ones you'll groan about every time they call.
7. You do the billing and invoices here. Generally, you are the billing department (unless you're in house or gov't). This takes up anywhere from 5-25% of your time.
8. Family and Criminal can be brutal. Not the work, per se, but the things you're going to learn about people. You may already know the world is poo poo, but now you get to meet all the poo poo.

All that said, pretty much all the paralegals I've worked with are generally much happier and mentally stable than the lawyers, lol. And the office environment will have the most to do with whether you like your job or not. You work with good people, you'll like your job.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

1. Obvs. no blood and piss in the legal department, and no hauling 3 dove patients out of wheelchairs.

That very much depends on the legal department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

blarzgh posted:

Real Talk:

Mom's been a nurse for 35 years, i've had paralegals for 10.

2. Not usually a hard clock-in/clock-out at the law firm; some places its very common you need to stay late several times a week.
3. Probably more stress as a paralegal, unless you were like an ER nurse or something, but its not that bad. This is a world of conflict, however, so dealing with conflict even by osmosis or proximity is part of the job.
4. The actual work is 100% administrative. The higher up you go, the more autonomy and decision-making you will do, but even then is 90% follow the flow chart.
5. The work is usually interesting! As long as you're not working at a car-wreck mill of a firm, you will take on dozens of unique, interesting cases every year.
5.5. That said, the stuff you do on every case is generally the same thing. Prep and mail the same letters, sort and index documents, prepare the same shells for documents, receive and catalogue things that get filed, calendar dates and deadlines as they come in. Sort of like, you're always jogging (doing the same things), but you're constantly jogging past new and interesting places (different cases.)
6. Dealing with clients is as bad as you imagine sometimes, and just like patients you'll have your favorites, and you'll have the ones you'll groan about every time they call.
7. You do the billing and invoices here. Generally, you are the billing department (unless you're in house or gov't). This takes up anywhere from 5-25% of your time.
8. Family and Criminal can be brutal. Not the work, per se, but the things you're going to learn about people. You may already know the world is poo poo, but now you get to meet all the poo poo.

All that said, pretty much all the paralegals I've worked with are generally much happier and mentally stable than the lawyers, lol. And the office environment will have the most to do with whether you like your job or not. You work with good people, you'll like your job.

This is all true. I'd add that paralegals are chronically underpaid, because lawyers are stingy and because lawyers are bad at getting value out of paralegals. Half the places I've worked at, paralegals have billable hour expectations (usually significantly lower than lawyers because a lot of paralegal work is nonbillable) - say, 1300-1400 hours or so? In theory that's a bunch of revenue for the firm if the paralegal is billed at $150/hr. In practice clients fight against paying paralegals and so the revenue is significantly lower. But lawyers know they need paralegals etc. So paralegal salaries can range from $40k to $80-90k depending on the firm and all sorts of stuff. But that, to me, is well within the nurse pay range. So don't jump ship expecting to make more money.