Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Shaocaholica posted:

Nah doesn’t have to be period correct. I already have a vega56 from another project I could harvest.

So the over 11 year old core2 quad extreme can keep up with literally current GPUs at 1440p?

It's doubtful, but the higher the res the more GPU you need before the CPU becomes an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i don't follow gaming laptop tech much and lolled when i saw contemporary laptops are selling with 300hz screens.
can laptop GPUs push anywhere close to that much FPS?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

shrike82 posted:

i don't follow gaming laptop tech much and lolled when i saw contemporary laptops are selling with 300hz screens.

Sure if you're playing really simple games. Plus you get better sync on lower frame rates with the higher temporal resolution so it's probably mainly for that and they just advertise the bigger number because people like big number.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

shrike82 posted:

No, but the general user experience overall (except battery life) is enhanced by the experience of a high-refresh rate monitor. Everything feels snappier, even if you never even fire up so much as Solitaire.

And frankly, at least a high refresh laptop panel makes more sense than a sub-15-inch 4K display.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cursed or blessed?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Asciana posted:

I dont mind really dropping down a graphical quality notch for a while I guess. Just need to prepare to commit to getting that 30xx card when they come out! Would a 2060S be a bad choice at this time?

I considered a 2060S, and it might meet your needs just fine. I decided to go for the 2070S because I was in a place where I could afford the price difference and I felt it really completed my new build. I'd been running the 1060 6GB for 4 years - I don't tend to upgrade often. My old system was built in 2010, and so when I finally upgraded it then it felt like I needed a GPU to match.

After comparing the two I went for the 2070S mostly because it is a bit more powerful, better equipped for raytracing, and since I don't tend to upgrade often I felt more likely to keep up with the games I play a bit longer.

Honestly, with how bad the supply issues have been I debated between 2060S and 2070S for a week or two before finally making up my mind.

The whole waiting for the 30xx cards to drop is a bit of wildcard, too. I decided I wasn't going to wait and went for a card I expect to be good for my use for a couple of years, but that's just me. For your purposes a lower-end card for now and waiting the next gen to drop might work better - it's really a matter of personal preference.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Cursed or blessed?

Cursed?
Blessed?
No!
Reanimator!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Shaocaholica posted:

Nah doesn’t have to be period correct. I already have a vega56 from another project I could harvest.

So the over 11 year old core2 quad extreme can keep up with literally current GPUs at 1440p?

Generally no. If your running like a QX9770 or something certain games they may no boot at all, but for games that aren't generally CPU bound you'd be fine. I'd expect it'd probably run like a low-end modern i3?

I wouldn't pair a 1660S or anything with it, god no. A 570 is a good suggestion, or if you have a Vega56 sitting around that would still probably leave you CPU bottlenecked most of the time, but probably ok. I don't know how much a 1060 usually goes for, but that might also be a good bet if you don't want to re-purpose that Vega.

I wouldn't spend any real money on a box featuring a CPU that old though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shaocaholica posted:

Cursed or blessed?

FX5800 Multiple Points of Failure Edition.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Extremely relevant to the thread: The very specific horror of old graphics card packaging art

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

So little effort I want a deep dive.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lol pny cyborg bringing back memories

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
3Dfx was probably the most tasteful during that period.

e: nope!

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

As soon as I saw the one on the right I went "oh poo poo, that looks like a Matrox Mystique". Probably remember that from those 400-page issues of PC Gamer when I was a kid.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Shaocaholica posted:

So little effort I want a deep dive.

As do I. I want to know who, and why

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Palit robofrog is my spirit animal

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Extremely strange box art for video cards and video games is something I dearly miss.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just looked at the box for my 2070 Super and it's pretty mundane.

Same picture as on this one, just for the Windforce 3X OC:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I pledge my permanent loyalty to any brand willing to go all out and give me a box with a tattooed sexy alien frog fairy in a mech suit.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lockback posted:

Generally no. If your running like a QX9770 or something certain games they may no boot at all, but for games that aren't generally CPU bound you'd be fine. I'd expect it'd probably run like a low-end modern i3?

I wouldn't pair a 1660S or anything with it, god no. A 570 is a good suggestion, or if you have a Vega56 sitting around that would still probably leave you CPU bottlenecked most of the time, but probably ok. I don't know how much a 1060 usually goes for, but that might also be a good bet if you don't want to re-purpose that Vega.

I wouldn't spend any real money on a box featuring a CPU that old though.

Hmm 580 might be in the cards here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkllrXrKNeQ

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Looking back, it's loving weird how GPUs were basically bad travelling carnival art
It's not so bad today but every once in a while one of the third party vendors unleash their inner carny

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Disappointed they didn't include the fake Radeon Bathroom one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Man, I was so embarrassed on Christmas morning in high school when I took the wrapping paper of my FX5200.

The box art was pretty bad, too.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Geemer posted:

Disappointed they didn't include the fake Radeon Bathroom one.

What is this? I can’t find it with “Radeon bathroom”

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Shaocaholica posted:

I think I have it bookmarked at home, give me several hours if someone doesn't link it first. For whatever reason the image no longer appears in this thread.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shaocaholica posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819901&pagenumber=168&perpage=40#post492921243

e: before you ask, no those are not renders

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
"I'm the joker, baby!"

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

that is exceptionally bad box art

great find

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
A simpler time. I can't even make fun of it. These days all semblance of creativity and personality is snuffed out super early in the corporate process. I should know, I'm in tech marketing. These boxes make me yearn for those times again. Everything was so much easier and less of a hassle.

Say what you want about the gross Joker box, someone actually had creative freedom to make that happen. These days your final product goes through 20 different people with the specific intent of sterilizing the gently caress out of it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Why would you want to try to sell your 1080ti with something that looks like a model from a cancelled Deus Ex spin-off for PS2 though?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

No reason, really. There's no reason that such a box would or should exist. But maybe that's part of the fun? Corporate America is so stale. Sure, allowing creative freedom gets you that box art. But, sometimes, it gets you something more special that you could never get through the normal creative snuffing that is modern marketing. And that's kind of neat. That's closer to the world I want to live in, even if it's loving weird sometimes. :shrug:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

yes plz gently caress should've got the 12MB model

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

"I'm the joker, baby!"

celestial tier box art as recently as the 1080ti

the dream still lives

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Taima posted:

No reason, really. There's no reason that such a box would or should exist. But maybe that's part of the fun? Corporate America is so stale. Sure, allowing creative freedom gets you that box art. But, sometimes, it gets you something more special that you could never get through the normal creative snuffing that is modern marketing. And that's kind of neat. That's closer to the world I want to live in, even if it's loving weird sometimes. :shrug:

That’s not even proper weird, though. Like, I can tell the thought process that went into that (“it’s the joker with the serial numbers filed off”), whereas stuff like mech frog or things that look like they came off the side of a van are weird and wonderful and a complete mystery to me.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
rolling four custom dice with words instead of numbers for inspiration on my next GPU box cover art.

FROG MECH WIZARD CYBORG

BIKINI KNIGHT LASER FAIRY

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Been giggling all night at this

"did Mike Dawson's mom explode in this bathroom?"

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

celestial tier box art as recently as the 1080ti

the dream still lives

They even got sued for the company name of "Galaxy" so their marketing dept went for a true Galax Brain move.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

K8.0 posted:

I pledge my permanent loyalty to any brand willing to go all out and give me a box with a tattooed sexy alien frog fairy in a mech suit.

How about the Radeon X800 Zebra Dominatrix Furiosa edition?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s not even proper weird, though. Like, I can tell the thought process that went into that (“it’s the joker with the serial numbers filed off”), whereas stuff like mech frog or things that look like they came off the side of a van are weird and wonderful and a complete mystery to me.

Hah. 100% fair :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That bathroom lmao

Every time