Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
*in extremely nine months ago voice*

I hope FFVIIR keeps the weirder monster designs like Hell House in the game when and if it finally comes out but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

When the party is walking over Mount Nibel, Sephiroth should be seen slowly floating over the mountain next to you at all times while laughing malevolently. Everyone ignores him in extreme irritation.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Sephiroth is hidden or lurking in every scene and people start combing through still images looking for him like he's loving Slenderman.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Sephiroth will always be right behind you like Watson in that one Sherlock Holmes game

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Or Lisa in Silent Hill PT...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sapozhnik posted:

*in extremely nine months ago voice*

I hope FFVIIR keeps the weirder monster designs like Hell House in the game when and if it finally comes out but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I really love how they completely, enthusiastically, leaned into the weirdness of the original game.

Hell House was glorious (though a bastard to fight), and Wall Market/Honeybee Inn was just... are there even words to describe how perfect it was?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The bizarreness of Hell House makes me hunger for more massive and insane mimcs in games now.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

RareAcumen posted:

Can't tell if I want them to go goofy with Sephiroth or keep him serious and dangerous like they've been doing.

But on the one hand, Sephiroth in a hairnet appearing in a food truck handing Cloud a burger.

Sephiroth behind a fruit stand.

"Shall I give you this pear?"

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Bleck posted:

Sephiroth behind a fruit stand.

"Shall I give you this pear?"

Sephiroth appears as the clerk at every shop you head into from here on out wearing increasingly ridiculous and or bad disguises and using a variety of terrible accents.

It comes to head when he attempts to pass as the shop keepers cat and crams all 6'ft of himself into a cardboard box but gets stuck.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZJokQ7EEUg

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

If we are so blessed as to get Sephiroth slowly rising from a trash can with masamune in hand I would literally weep.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Flopsy posted:

If we are so blessed as to get Sephiroth slowly rising from a trash can with masamune in hand I would literally weep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUCEVeWWLCw

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

DAYUM

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I know the two series' have nothing in common, but after playing through Mortal Kombat 11's Aftermath story DLC, I don't know if this new timeline the game has set up is going to be all that groovy.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
https://clips.twitch.tv/CogentVenomousYakOptimizePrime

The face says it all.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Gologle posted:

I know the two series' have nothing in common, but after playing through Mortal Kombat 11's Aftermath story DLC, I don't know if this new timeline the game has set up is going to be all that groovy.

A very real fear, however, consider that no one writing MK 11 will be near FF7RE

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

I think my girlfriend went through the exact same cycle of emotions upon seeing that.

It clashes, it befuddles, it makes you question what you're watching in silence. I love it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gologle posted:

Why.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The good ending in MK 11 Aftermath is not "everyone lived happily ever after"

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

The good ending in MK 11 Aftermath is not "everyone lived happily ever after"

lol nobody lives happily ever after in any MK game though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Everybody dies all the time, death is meaningless.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The only one that stuck was Liu Kang, he's been dead for awhile now and not very happy about it

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Basically from what I can tell the $40 DLC is irrelevant because the DLC ends at the same point the main game ends, with the entire timeline being reset.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DeathChicken posted:

The only one that stuck was Liu Kang, he's been dead for awhile now and not very happy about it

I mean even then, he's been a zombie in both timelines.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Onmi posted:

Basically from what I can tell the $40 DLC is irrelevant because the DLC ends at the same point the main game ends, with the entire timeline being reset.

You get to see Cary T mugging the camera as Shang Tsung for 3 hours, what more could you possibly want.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if we're using reboots by way of creating an alternate timeline as guideposts then i would be more worried that this series could follow the path of star trek '09 and the sequel might be the worst installment in the whole franchise

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

if we're using reboots by way of creating an alternate timeline as guideposts then i would be more worried that this series could follow the path of star trek '09 and the sequel might be the worst installment in the whole franchise

Hitting the reset button is kind of Mortal Kombat's thing though, so I wouldn't be too worried.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Music producer lists his top 10 remake tracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAg_Dn-sPqE

I got a greater appreciation for the track that plays at the beginning of Chapter 15 as a result of this vid. I would generally agree with his list (rankings themselves aside), except for maybe swapping Tifa's jukebox theme for Hand over Hand.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

smash em rip em is included list is legit

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So is it ever addressed why Sephiroth of all people is leading the Nibelheim mission? Wouldn't it have been a good idea to have a memo in his file that said UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ALLOW SEPHIROTH TO VISIT NIBELHEIM considering the files kept there?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Agents are GO! posted:

So is it ever addressed why Sephiroth of all people is leading the Nibelheim mission? Wouldn't it have been a good idea to have a memo in his file that said UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ALLOW SEPHIROTH TO VISIT NIBELHEIM considering the files kept there?

Unfortunately the person who makes decisions like that is Hojo, and if asked he'd have said "sure, let's definitely have Sephiroth visit Nibelheim just to see what happens!"

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Super No Vacancy posted:

Can't wait to see Simon Pegg as Cid

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Unfortunately the person who makes decisions like that is Hojo, and if asked he'd have said "sure, let's definitely have Sephiroth visit Nibelheim just to see what happens!"

:hmmyes:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Hojo probably considers the entire incident a successful experiment

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

I hadn't even considered that and I will bet Clouds prettiest dress that it's 100% true.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, this feels a lot like comparing Birds of Prey to the Sonic movie to me.

'There's nothing binding us to the original story now, we can do anything!'

I still doubt Sephiroth's gonna tear Barret in half and use him as a ventriloquist dummy though.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Agents are GO! posted:

I've seen mild speculation that he isn't actually supposed to know who Jenova is but Gast secretly told him her name but honestly?

Rand Brittain posted:

It's probably this. Hojo seems like the kind of guy who would leave puzzles for his son to solve on purpose.

edit: Also, you know. The only other 1st Class SOLDIER left at that point is Zack and he probably needed supervision.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 15, 2020

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gologle posted:

Off topic, but I wanted to ask anyone who has played the MK games (I played the first 2 and have just been passively aware of them since via gamer cultural osmosis) if the games ever explained how everyone survives being constantly murdered into ground beef now that the games seem to have an overarching continuity and narrative?

Also, do they give a reason why, like, Johnny Cage would tear his screaming daughter's torso in half and do a goofy one liner or why Jax would pull his daughter's limbs off or whatever? Seems like a weird thing for families to do!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

Off topic, but I wanted to ask anyone who has played the MK games (I played the first 2 and have just been passively aware of them since via gamer cultural osmosis) if the games ever explained how everyone survives being constantly murdered into ground beef now that the games seem to have an overarching continuity and narrative?

Also, do they give a reason why, like, Johnny Cage would tear his screaming daughter's torso in half and do a goofy one liner or why Jax would pull his daughter's limbs off or whatever? Seems like a weird thing for families to do!

fatalities arent canon and the ones between family like you said are especially weird and offputting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SlimGoodbody posted:

The only explanation I can give you is that Story Mode is canonical, and anything outside of it is not. Also, even in Story Mode, regardless of how the best-2-out-of-3 matchup ends if the Story doesn't say they were killed, they weren't killed no matter how brutal the match ended.