Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'd say White for Circle Undone since I think you're dealing with the Silver Twilight cult? I haven't played it yet, but white's closest to silver from that line of deck boxes.

Maybe black or brown for the standalone scenarios.

Also if you want to go the cheap route, 400-count boxes hold the cycles with everything sleeved really well. You could probably drop to 300-counts if you don't sleeve anything for the scenario bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I use the BCW 480 or 580 count boxes. They are tall enough to fit the dividers for Return to Boxes.

I can basically print up custom dividers for TFA, sort them like how they are in the Return to boxes, and then when the Return is released move it all to there.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
So the set-aside cards weren’t at the bottom of the deck, they were in a box inside the set-aside cards box. Not in the bags on the top of the screen…
Turns out we were fulfilling the goals accurately. We completed both by accident and had time to fight the pallid mask plenty before the timers ran out.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 8, 2020

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
As soon as I saw the prelude adventure for TCU feature cards with if this card is defeated by something other than a spell or relic I made sure to pick up a Time-Worn Brand for my fighty Silas deck. It's helped immensely in some of the subsequent scenarios. My wife has been playing Diane and we've started referring to her as the Arkham CDC because once she gets going the temptation is to go "man this is easy, why do we even need Diane?"

Wages of Sin feels like a scenario that would be fun to test out builds with since it's a very complex scenario with a bunch of moving parts but it has the same problem as the Paris catacombs episode from Carcosa where narratively it's a huge stretch that the investigators would drop what they were doing to go do this other silly thing instead.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Time Worn Brand feels like a way overpowered machete. At least it costs 5XP unlike the redic of the original Machete.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Timeworn brand is my favorite weapon in the game for anyone who isn't guardian. My friends and I call it "the blap stick," because "blap blap blap" is the sound it makes over and over as you smack monsters across the face with it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
To answer a previous question, I don't know why this thread doesn't get more updates either. I think the Reddit and Discord maybe help with tha.t

As for Timeworn Brand, I started a Diamond Joe deck with 2x Enchanted Blades instead of Machetes, but those have kept me from dropping 5XP on brand yet.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Personally I don't have an issue with the Machete as-is. If you're spending your turns as a Guardian smacking around 2-3 health enemies so the rest of the players can investigate you are doing your job well. If you think it makes scenarios too easy then I think the Hard/Expert difficulties exists specifically for you to implement and enjoy.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I'd say White for Circle Undone since I think you're dealing with the Silver Twilight cult? I haven't played it yet, but white's closest to silver from that line of deck boxes.

Maybe black or brown for the standalone scenarios.

Also if you want to go the cheap route, 400-count boxes hold the cycles with everything sleeved really well. You could probably drop to 300-counts if you don't sleeve anything for the scenario bits.

Ooh, good idea on the Silver part. Maybe grey could work as well (since that faction used light grey that faction used in COC LCG). I originally thought brown in part because of the box being brownish-purple, and also one character being named “Brown”, but Silver is a much better reference!

My storage/transport solutions so far (Core and Return To boxes) have all gotten pretty ragged from traveling to and from players’ homes. I probably wouldn’t go with BCW boxes, despite advantage of low cost (and being easy to decorate), to avoid needing to replace them in the future.

Now just need to find some fan-made vertical dividers that I’m happy with!

Hackjack fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 24, 2020

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Machete is “when you’re being Guardian, plusone damage plusone to hit.“ There is absolutely no reason to take other weapons at 0xp, especially ones that only conditionally give you both bonuses. If something is a default for every deck, it’s probably too good.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

Machete is “when you’re being Guardian, plusone damage plusone to hit.“ There is absolutely no reason to take other weapons at 0xp, especially ones that only conditionally give you both bonuses. If something is a default for every deck, it’s probably too good.

The interesting thing with machete is that it’s strength declines at higher player counts. Due to more enemies on the board at once or enemies being more likely to be engaged with your friends. Which is actually the opposite direction of many Guardian cards which become more powerful with greater player counts. So I’m willing to believe that it’s strength is at least partially intentional, which makes the design pretty neat and attractive to me.

Definitely better than average, but not a major outlier, in my opinion. Definitely think the two dual-class cards (.45 Thompson and Enchanted Blade) are reasonable competitors at level 0.

Hackjack fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 24, 2020

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Machete suffers hard at higher player counts, and Enchanted Blade makes a nice substitute. Meat Cleaver is a solid choice for those who can take it, too. Machete was definitely an auto-include a few years ago, but it has enough contenders that it's just a great card now among many rather than the only option.

Thermically speaking I'm ok with machete being a common choice. It's something that you might have lying around in a shed or home (like a fire axe, meat cleaver, survival knife, baseball bat, or gun) and you quickly ditch it in favor of more fancy, purpose-built weaponry once the threat of the mythos is more solidified and real.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 24, 2020

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you’re a guardian, it’s unlikely you’re at the same location as more than one or two other companions. And unless you’re playing a very defense oriented deck, you can probably engage them with taunt one at a time as you kill them.Enchanted blade also has three ammo.
If you’re not clearing your plate as a guardian, then your companions need to help. Because you don’t need three Cluevers at four players.

Edit: in October it was updated to 1XP which I think is fair. Solo, it gives you a ton of consistency that an expensive two handed boss killer won’t.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 20, 2020

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Realized today that you can't commit Willpower icons to tests for Read the Signs, Spectral Razor, and Ethereal Form. Are you still able to boost your Willpower with things like Arcane Studies for those cards?

Yes and you can use arcane studies to boost a stat that isn't relevant if you'd befit from something like dark horse by spending the resources.

Edit: Mandy with Three Aces is completely busted. I'm not even using Mr. Rook and there comes a point every scenario where you can pick up all the clues at 3-5 locations every round.

Made the second scenario in the Dreamlands trivial. I don't think I'll be playing her again until some of these cards are put on the taboo list. The most recent one doesn't do enough.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 24, 2020

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

[...] you can use arcane studies to boost a stat that isn't relevant if you'd befit from something like dark horse by spending the resources.

I don't think this part is right? "A triggered ability can only be initiated if its effect has the potential to change the game state [...]. This potential is assessed without taking into account the consequences of the cost payment or any other ability interactions." Boosting your Willpower in an Evasion test doesn't have the potential to change the game state unless you take into account the consequences of the cost payment or some other ability interaction.

edit: Though for the original question, the rulings on Lockpick and similar cards in ArkhamDB do make it seem like the answer is yes. Unlike boosting an irrelevant stat the effect of boosting your Willpower during a Read the Signs test does have the potential to change the game state.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 25, 2020

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
That makes the Mystic event trio (Spectral Razor, Read the Signs, Ethereal Form) a little weaker, I guess. I built a Sefina deck with two copies of each thinking it was a no-brainer, and while they're still all excellent cards, they're not as crazy as I originally thought.

Once I pick up Streetwise, Read the Signs and Ethereal Form are fine and still as great, but Spectral Razor will generally always be at 6 with few or no ways to boost it. Ah well, it's not a total loss.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

NRVNQSR posted:

I don't think this part is right? "A triggered ability can only be initiated if its effect has the potential to change the game state [...]. This potential is assessed without taking into account the consequences of the cost payment or any other ability interactions." Boosting your Willpower in an Evasion test doesn't have the potential to change the game state unless you take into account the consequences of the cost payment or some other ability interaction.

edit: Though for the original question, the rulings on Lockpick and similar cards in ArkhamDB do make it seem like the answer is yes. Unlike boosting an irrelevant stat the effect of boosting your Willpower during a Read the Signs test does have the potential to change the game state.

Check out the FAQ listed for Dark Horse: https://arkhamdb.com/card/02234

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

Check out the FAQ listed for Dark Horse: https://arkhamdb.com/card/02234

Huh; you're right, that seems clear enough, but it's a weird ruling. Why does the rule I quoted even exist, then? If it doesn't even prevent Dark Horse cost-as-a-benefit shenanigans, what does it prevent?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The Mythos Busters discord is probably one of the faster moving places to talk about Arkham, and has the advantage of not being Reddit

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

jeeves posted:

Time Worn Brand feels like a way overpowered machete. At least it costs 5XP unlike the redic of the original Machete.

I still say Timeworn Brand is the best weapon for 4p, regardless of class.

Golden Bee posted:

I don't think that's always the case. The issue is that it's basically required to do the job of main fighter for larger groups. Ammo is way too limited for 3-4p. That said I don't think it's the best choice anymore necessarily with Survivors getting good choices in Fire Axe and Meat Cleaver.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 31, 2020

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Anyone come up with a limited card pool idea or draft or something for Arkham lcg?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

People use the idea of a “structure“ series, only using investigators that were available up to the time the module was released.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Its something I've toyed around with, I think something cool would be

- everyone has access to 2 each of Emergency Cache, Unexpected Courage & Flashlight
- Draft 45(?) lvl 0 cards between the pool, number might vary
- Draft or choose investigators afterwards

That way you can find a lane and then pick an investigator to fit after you know your pool. You'd have to curate a pool beforehand most likely or you'll have a hard time with the scenarios I'd guess.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I can't see draft working without investigators designed specifically for it; with regular deckbuilding restrictions you would be in a constant state of "my pool is Seeker and only one of these cards is Seeker so I guess that's the one I'm taking".

The Netrunner draft identities seemed to handle the faction problem quite well, but they had the advantage that they only needed to be balanced against each other; I don't know how you would go about balancing a "level 0 cards from any class" investigator against existing Arkham scenarios.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

NRVNQSR posted:

I can't see draft working without investigators designed specifically for it; with regular deckbuilding restrictions you would be in a constant state of "my pool is Seeker and only one of these cards is Seeker so I guess that's the one I'm taking".

The Netrunner draft identities seemed to handle the faction problem quite well, but they had the advantage that they only needed to be balanced against each other; I don't know how you would go about balancing a "level 0 cards from any class" investigator against existing Arkham scenarios.

Make it so they can effectively play only one class a turn. :laugh:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Some new spoilers. Called by the Mists and Dark Future are Stella and Jacqueline's weaknesses.

Flesh Ward is one of the rare 'healing' items that doesn't take an action to use, so it might actually be playable, and I kind of like Relentless but it probably won't feel good to play.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Glory is OK. Monster Hunter 0 is cool.

Edit: Tommy Muldoon throwing literally everyone into the path of destruction for profit makes him the most accurate character.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 5, 2020

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
So if you play Dream-Eaters as a full campaign do you have to alternate between investigators to get the most out of it? It seems like kind of a pain to be constantly resleeving/rebuilding decks or building only decks with no card overlap. Do the dreaming and waking campaigns affect each other in ways that only work back if alternate A-B-A-B?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yep. You interact between both campaigns. Can you not form two decks from Dream and core?

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Two decks sure, but it's going to have to be 4-6 decks since arkham game night is 2-3 players.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

A few more spoilers from a Youtube posted to Reddit.

Nathaniel Cho's weakness is pretty rough, I think. It'll usually take three actions to clear, outside of Beat Cop/Guard Dog pings.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
When something like Galvanize or Ursula's ability lets you no-bold-text "fight" or "investigate", do they mean the basic action, or can you use events and assets which fight, etc?

We finished Carcosa last night with Minh, Akachi, and Yorick. We play on Normal, but with the true hard mode enabled - I'm terrible at this drat game. We'll be moving on to Forgotten Age soon. Like an idiot I think I am going to try Calvin, because obviously the worst player should pilot the most difficult investigator. The others are thinking Ursula and Finn - should we plan around needing to be more fight-y for the campaign?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Five Eyes posted:

When something like Galvanize or Ursula's ability lets you no-bold-text "fight" or "investigate", do they mean the basic action, or can you use events and assets which fight, etc?

Should be the latter: An ability that says "[action symbol]: Fight" is both an activate action and a fight action, so you can use it even if there's an effect like Galvanize which only lets you take fight actions. That's also why activating weapons doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity.

For Ursula it's a little less clear, but the FAQ clarifies that yes, you can use investigate abilities on cards when her ability triggers.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Akachi can pick up all levels of shriveling, so she should be good.
Minh should beeline for acidic ichor, and wouldn’t go amiss in some adventures with an occult lexicon.

If I were doing TFA, I might enjoy doing it with Rita, it’s a very good adventure for people with good mind and agility. As Calvin, you’ll definitely earn some trauma.

I would use the following rules as a supply as variance, because the picks feel essentially random. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2404962/alternate-ideas-supplies-forgotten-age

Nathaniel’s weakness is interesting and not crippling. He has cards like 1-2 punch that allow him to do 1+1 damage twice. And everything in his deck is based around pounding people, having an additional bad guy in your deck would be much worse if it was discarding assets or taking mental damage. Worse comes to worst, have your survivor or someone else evade him for you.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Two decks sure, but it's going to have to be 4-6 decks since arkham game night is 2-3 players.

You can play sequentially, all A then all B.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Some more spoilers.

The sweetest card (Dynamite Blast) just got even sweeter!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Really in love with that Lucky (3).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Raven just feels like a weird caveat. “If you have your Alley slot free, take an action and take a horror to get a clue.” Unless the raven can do damage to itself?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

AH's templating isn't as robust as MTG's but as in that game I'm pretty sure everything before the colon is a cost, so you wouldn't be able to do that.

Lucky (3) really is a stand-out, and seeing it was the first time I've really noticed raw power creep in this game. I still think Lucky is a great, well designed card both mechanically and thematically, because it's always been powerful but not busted and it really sells the core identity of the Survivor class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

3xp for +3, draw a card. Only good if you build to recur it.