Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The Muppets On PCP posted:

quik trip is a way better gas station than sheetz or wawa but the rest is pretty mediocre

Culver's dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I’m glad Virgil is back but when’s he gonna start posting again

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Good to have Virgil back, this was a great episode.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Saagonsa posted:

Culver's dude

sonic tier

if someone suggests going there you wouldn't say no, but it's not a place you think about or go out of your way to ever stop at

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That was an excellent episode. Amber was really good. Also virgil back. :tipshat:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Adam Serwer said the same thing that Will did - that the best anti-racism books are history books. It's weird that people buy stuff like White Fragility when there are a whole bunch of good books about the subjugation of black people in America.

Reminds me I gotta buy the Jakarta Method.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 16, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When this book spiked last week on Amazon goons were shilling this book in the GBS protest thread left, right, and center and it explained soooooo much about the kinds of interactions I’ve had on this website. SA really is thousands of extremely pale keyboard warriors who insist on performative role playing interactions with the POC they meet or choose to stan online because they probably never interact with minorities outside of work or internet.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bust Rodd posted:

When this book spiked last week on Amazon goons were shilling this book in the GBS protest thread left, right, and center and it explained soooooo much about the kinds of interactions I’ve had on this website. SA really is thousands of extremely pale keyboard warriors who insist on performative role playing interactions with the POC they meet or choose to stan online because they probably never interact with minorities outside of work or internet.

Was it GBS or D&D?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It was the GBS riot thread. The Cool Zone thread has way more posters who recognized this book as dorky homework for white peeple by white peeple.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I honestly enjoyed this take on it: https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1272002169298923520

This episode worked really well for me but on the sense that I had to hear Amber and Matt as these cool people with insights that just appeared out of nowhere and not put all of that on the context on her writing or his stream thoughts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/xandrellii/status/1272792129207558145?s=20

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol the lady who write White Fragility is white?

I had a friend tell me the other day she was so proud of her bank for doing a book club of it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's nice to know that, somewhere, there's a place worse than us

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The insanely racist way in which Chapo ‘fans’ reduce Amber & Virgil to token minorities and not two of the more intelligent and well-read people currently working in progressive media is bonkers. I do not use reddit ever because the good parts of it matriculates here or elsewhere, but every Chapo subreddit post I’ve see always has some weird “Chapo tries to pretend it’s not racist by hiring these MINORITIES, so FAKE” or “they tell Amber to say the craziest ideas so we’ll accept them because she is POC!”

It’s like holding up a carnival mirror to another carnival mirror.... a sub forum of white leftists listening to a couple of Jewish and Asian people talking about how not liking a racist book by a creepy white lady is actually the MOST racist...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bust Rodd posted:

The insanely racist way in which Chapo ‘fans’ reduce Amber & Virgil to token minorities and not two of the more intelligent and well-read people currently working in progressive media is bonkers. I do not use reddit ever because the good parts of it matriculates here or elsewhere, but every Chapo subreddit post I’ve see always has some weird “Chapo tries to pretend it’s not racist by hiring these MINORITIES, so FAKE” or “they tell Amber to say the craziest ideas so we’ll accept them because she is POC!”

It’s like holding up a carnival mirror to another carnival mirror.... a sub forum of white leftists listening to a couple of Jewish and Asian people talking about how not liking a racist book by a creepy white lady is actually the MOST racist...
I maintain that Amber is the smartest one of them

Virgil is also a good political analyst

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
According to the chapo reddit, if you criticize a bullshit workplace anti-racism scam, you ipso facto think racism is fine, actually. :shepface:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Never read Reddit, it’s too smart

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
poc love when white people pay other white people to explain racism to them.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I maintain that Amber is the smartest one of them

Virgil is also a good political analyst

Marxist Amber is the best Chapo

Anti-woke culture warrior Amber is the worst Chapo

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

To be frank it doesn't help that some do defend her by reducing her as the Lady Chapo when someone brings up anything she does or writes as a serious political analyst. Or that a bunch of the replies on the reddit do agree with White Fragility being a bad book and still call their pod a bad analysis of it, and still get pegged as being apologists of the book. Oh well, time for another boring scoldy stream from Matt about it where he makes a weepy voice about fans no longer seeing them as heralds or lighthouses or whatever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All the softest Chapo fans think she’s a fascist because of her other podcast but I cannot find anything to indicate why or what Red Scare is even about or what extremist views might have been shared.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

It doesn't take a lot to get called a fascist by those people.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

All the softest Chapo fans think she’s a fascist because of her other podcast but I cannot find anything to indicate why or what Red Scare is even about or what extremist views might have been shared.

That time she wrote in the UK's premier crypto-fash magazine about how she hates the SJWs whilst in the same interview Red Scare Anna trashed MeToo, Antifa and went off about how women were perverting their bodies by having birth control surgeries was extremely bad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

multijoe posted:

Yeah this is my feeling as well

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

There is some weird cognitive dissonance in how some people relate to Amber and what she says. She is friends with Angela Nagle irl and she's been on Red Scare but although those are of course crypto-fash Amber is 90% good and just needs to be contrarian from time to time. Similarly pretty sure Liz from Trueanon DMs or whatever with Aimee Therese and probably have similar opinions on some things. Kind of seems like canceling only works on people who aren't already well liked and popular. Being funny probably helps too.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah this is my feeling as well

Angry labor Amber is good, but she has this huge blind spot towards the media's role in influencing elections against Leftist candidates. She did it with both Corbyn and Sanders.

She's also dynamite when she is analyzing movies.

Bring back Frost/Christman.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grevling posted:

There is some weird cognitive dissonance in how some people relate to Amber and what she says. She is friends with Angela Nagle irl and she's been on Red Scare but although those are of course crypto-fash Amber is 90% good and just needs to be contrarian from time to time. Similarly pretty sure Liz from Trueanon DMs or whatever with Aimee Therese and probably have similar opinions on some things. Kind of seems like canceling only works on people who aren't already well liked and popular. Being funny probably helps too.

None of these people are well-liked or popular, we're listening to a very niche podcast ecosystem.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Forceholy posted:

Angry labor Amber is good, but she has this huge blind spot towards the media's role in influencing elections against Leftist candidates. She did it with both Corbyn and Sanders.

She and the other hosts try to not fall into the nihilist paraylsis of "lol nothing matters", and it does often come off as naivety.

unexplodable
Aug 13, 2003

Kunster posted:

To be frank it doesn't help that some do defend her by reducing her as the Lady Chapo when someone brings up anything she does or writes as a serious political analyst. Or that a bunch of the replies on the reddit do agree with White Fragility being a bad book and still call their pod a bad analysis of it, and still get pegged as being apologists of the book. Oh well, time for another boring scoldy stream from Matt about it where he makes a weepy voice about fans no longer seeing them as heralds or lighthouses or whatever.

I don't particularly mean offense, I'm more confused than anything, but your posts about Matt's streams are insane. I've watched all his streams and it's like you watched a set of streams from some other reality. I don't recall him saying all this poo poo you post about, or if he did it was a throwaway sentence or two not something I would ever think to post post post about.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I like Red Scare. It’s not particularly insightful but it gives me a different enough viewpoint and is funny enough that I listen out of momentum.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

multijoe posted:

That's the same Amber

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If any prolonged exposure to the digital left hasn't left you with the utmost disdain for their wishy-washy milksop moralism and appeals to decorum than I don't know what to tell ya, you're probably a Bailey Booster

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

UP AND ADAM posted:

That's the same Amber

Amber is a land of contrasts

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Bust Rodd posted:

If any prolonged exposure to the digital left hasn't left you with the utmost disdain for their wishy-washy milksop moralism and appeals to decorum than I don't know what to tell ya, you're probably a Bailey Booster

Yeah

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

multijoe posted:

That time she wrote in the UK's premier crypto-fash magazine about how she hates the SJWs whilst in the same interview Red Scare Anna trashed MeToo, Antifa and went off about how women were perverting their bodies by having birth control surgeries was extremely bad.

It's a one sentence comment, Even in the context (wholly supplied by the lovely right-wing magazine) the most you could say is that Amber is on record of disapproving of Lena Dunhams article on her hysterectomy, of which there are many valid criticisms. Wokescolds spun that sentence into a fully formed ideological argument that supposedly proves Amber is a reactionary. I urge people to actually read the article instead of internalizing the online mindcanon version.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 16, 2020

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

unexplodable posted:

I don't particularly mean offense, I'm more confused than anything, but your posts about Matt's streams are insane. I've watched all his streams and it's like you watched a set of streams from some other reality. I don't recall him saying all this poo poo you post about, or if he did it was a throwaway sentence or two not something I would ever think to post post post about.

I feel like this with a lot of posts about chapo in general.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

thotsky posted:

It's a one sentence comment, Even in the context (wholly supplied by the lovely right-wing magazine)

Why it’s almost as if not participating in left-bashing interviews with far right magazines in the first place would be a better option

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Bryter posted:

Why it’s almost as if not participating in left-bashing interviews with far right magazines in the first place would be a better option

i hope Amber at least told people to buy the book

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nothus posted:

She and the other hosts try to not fall into the nihilist paraylsis of "lol nothing matters", and it does often come off as naivety.

yea I think this is mainly it, as corny as it is they seemed very actively trying not to fall into blackpill 'lol it's over you all wasted your time' poo poo and that kinda wound up with them falling into that 2016 joke of 'this is actually good...FOR BERNIE' and pretending that just knocking on doors will overcome the media entirely uniting against him and all. To be honest I think that is the better approach even if, yea when the loss comes it does make them look a bit naive about things, just because you can turn 'okay we lost but look how much we did, we have to keep building on it' into progress way easier than 'lol toldja this was pointless'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bryter posted:

but enough about their NYT writeup