Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Season 3 intro is great for that single hit. But I think 4 and 5 are my favorites since everyone gets a line in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DogsInSpace! posted:

Oh god...: season 3 intro.

“It failed.” Boom boom baaaaa boom boom baaa.

Love that intro. First time I saw it my mind was blown.

Combined with the excellently rigged shot of one Starfury shooting down another it has a hell of an impact. That shot is also why I insist that for fixing the CGI, you can update the textures, you can swap in models with more or better ploygons, but you don't touch the loving rigging.The scene composition averages as good, and there's a fair amount of "superb" and 'textbook" in seasons 3 and 4.

e. God bless the blind watch thread for falling in love with Na'toth. And lol at modern viewers immediately hating Garibaldi because cop. That's one of those things that proves that beauty is truth and truth is beauty.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 14, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Narsham posted:

Biggs liked to run lines with other performers to get his timing and reactions down. Pat Tallman mentions doing that with him because she liked running lines, too. It sounds like most of the actors playing humans weren’t much interested. So that’s a factor.

The other factor is that he gets a lot of medical technobabble and he’s playing the calm ER doctors a substantial fraction of the time. That leads to a fairly flat and calm affect. That’s part of why he’s “better” outside MedLab.

He's loving great in Medlab when the role calls for heated and emotional like that episode with the alien probe.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

pentyne posted:

He's loving great in Medlab when the role calls for heated and emotional like that episode with the alien probe.

Or when he definitely said thirteen PSI

sebmojo posted:

It's so good. Season 5 intro I used to turn down until it was over

The music of the bit that they're talking over is actually pretty good, the music after that is terrible. (Unlike S3, where the music after the voice over is far far better than a low budget 90s sci fi programme deserves)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Oh god...: season 3 intro.

“It failed.” Boom boom baaaaa boom boom baaa.

Love that intro. First time I saw it my mind was blown.

That into was so amazing. My jaw literally fell open when that aired.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Managed to get myself Babylon 5, gonna start a rewatch myself.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

That into was so amazing. My jaw literally fell open when that aired.

Always liked the faces, especially Londo, Vir and G’Kar. Those three told their Season 3 journeys so well. Londo with the haughty arrogance with a hint of overcompensating to hide something underneath. G’Kar with a haunted determination as his world was torn apart. Vir? Just had the look of perfect “what the gently caress?!?” The music and those three let me know I was in for a ride. I wish I could watch it for the first time again.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have a lot to say about B5 intros.

First, I actually really like the musical part of the season 1 intro. I love that it sounds more dramatic in season 2, and even more in season 4. I've never actually like the musical part of intro 3, it always sounded pretty generic to me. The speech part of season 3 is obviously the best, a real wham moment in the intro, visually supported by the starfury being destroyed by... another starfury? Aren't we (humans) all on the same side?!? What's going on???

It's a truly great intro, but seasons 4 and 5 also have good openings. Season 4's speech was a nice all cast work, while the faces afterwards show some interesting sides of the characters. Watch again, Lennier looks far less friendly than he does in previous seasons on his "face side", while the other half shows one of his most unfriendly scenes, where he chokes fellow Team Good guy Marcus, and reminds him that humans and Minbari are pretty different after all. That was long before anybody could suspect how he turned out. It's also great that every character has two different scenes shown, except for Londo, who's watching in horror as the Narn homeworld is bombarded with rocks. Very fitting.

I also like Season 5's intro, repeating those big quotes from the show while showing scenes from each prior season always makes me nostalgic just by watching that opening.

And overall, it's of course genius to have each season telling the events of one year, with the openings reflecting this. Changing up the narrators between each intro might have been an accident of Sinclair's actor leaving the show after one season, but it also works extremely well.

tl:dr: B5 openings are really good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I always liked the part in the S1 intro where Sinclair says "...and wanderers."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always liked how the one-off clip of a soul-hunter lasted so long into B5's run.

I think more shows should be willing to play around with their openings. It's one of the cool things you'll see anime put a lot of their budget into. It's weird when a long-running show like Mash will keep the same opening until 90% of the cast has been replaced.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I started watching the series again, and I just saw the station I *thought* B1 was. And it's the centauri station that gets blown the hell up in the very first scene.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

CainFortea posted:

I started watching the series again, and I just saw the station I *thought* B1 was. And it's the centauri station that gets blown PEACEFULLY ASSISTED the hell up in the very first scene.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I got to A Voice in the Wilderness in my rewatch, and it's so much smaller than I remember it. B5 really was good at doing a lot with a little, wasn't it?

Also the DVDs have the two episodes separated, which is annoying because I know the VHS version edited them into a movie. Irksome, but I planned to stop for the night after Part 1 so it worked out.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

OMG - The Doctors thoughts on Sheridan in the younger races thread. :allears: I guess JMS knew what he was doing.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
First time watch friend watched the "dumbest race war ever while Londo gets cursed by a wizard" episode and told me its the best sci-fi episode on tv she's ever seen. :)

Also, the Disc 2 "special features" menu is absolutely incredible, a shot of a character screaming in terror with the text "special features on disc 1 4 or 6". They also use this absolutely ridiculous morphing nonsense and it looks insane.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 15, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Torrannor posted:

I have a lot to say about B5 intros.

First, I actually really like the musical part of the season 1 intro. I love that it sounds more dramatic in season 2, and even more in season 4. I've never actually like the musical part of intro 3, it always sounded pretty generic to me. The speech part of season 3 is obviously the best, a real wham moment in the intro, visually supported by the starfury being destroyed by... another starfury? Aren't we (humans) all on the same side?!? What's going on???

It's a truly great intro, but seasons 4 and 5 also have good openings. Season 4's speech was a nice all cast work, while the faces afterwards show some interesting sides of the characters. Watch again, Lennier looks far less friendly than he does in previous seasons on his "face side", while the other half shows one of his most unfriendly scenes, where he chokes fellow Team Good guy Marcus, and reminds him that humans and Minbari are pretty different after all. That was long before anybody could suspect how he turned out. It's also great that every character has two different scenes shown, except for Londo, who's watching in horror as the Narn homeworld is bombarded with rocks. Very fitting.

I also like Season 5's intro, repeating those big quotes from the show while showing scenes from each prior season always makes me nostalgic just by watching that opening.

And overall, it's of course genius to have each season telling the events of one year, with the openings reflecting this. Changing up the narrators between each intro might have been an accident of Sinclair's actor leaving the show after one season, but it also works extremely well.

tl:dr: B5 openings are really good.

I have never liked the S3 intro. The music is recycled and after the opening narration there's nothing going on.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Bit paranoid in that thread.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Don't post "hey look at this thing you missed that may or may not be important" in the blind watch thread

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Dr. Stab posted:

Don't post "hey look at this thing you missed that may or may not be important" in the blind watch thread

I missed what was posted, can someone please summarize?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TraderStav posted:

I missed what was posted, can someone please summarize?

Basically explaining the purpose of Sheridan's characterisation.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sad King Billy posted:

Don't spoil poo poo in the newbie thread. This isn't hard.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Sad King Billy posted:

You say “nothing related past 2:1” and that’s not true. Sheridan’s arc is specifically supposed to be ‘go from what appears to be a bright eyed career military poster child’ to sick of this poo poo overthrow EarthGov. Even saying things like “yeah, he sure does look chipper, doesn’t he? That’s intentional!” Implies that he won’t be that way for long and poo poo is going to start going down with him.

One of the absolute joys of the show is nothing is what it seems on the surface and everyone has a journey that massively transforms them, and even saying that makes people start looking for poo poo, and start guessing at it, at best incorrectly so they are still surprised, at worst correctly so they aren’t.

Just let the younger races watch without pre conceived notions of any kind please.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

CainFortea posted:

Don't spoil poo poo in the newbie thread. This isn't hard.

Seriously, what is people's problem?

I really appreciate how slow S1 starts, watching it again. It's impossible that a modern TV show would be given so much time to get itself started. It really sets up the world in a way that feels natural and meaningful. G'Kar's speech to Catherine in Mind War continues to be pretty great. I maintain he's basically the smartest character in the show, simply often held back by his ego, vanity, and anger issues.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Doctor Zero posted:

You say “nothing related past 2:1” and that’s not true. Sheridan’s arc is specifically supposed to be ‘go from what appears to be a bright eyed career military poster child’ to sick of this poo poo overthrow EarthGov. Even saying things like “yeah, he sure does look chipper, doesn’t he? That’s intentional!” Implies that he won’t be that way for long and poo poo is going to start going down with him.

One of the absolute joys of the show is nothing is what it seems on the surface and everyone has a journey that massively transforms them, and even saying that makes people start looking for poo poo, and start guessing at it, at best incorrectly so they are still surprised, at worst correctly so they aren’t.

Just let the younger races watch without pre conceived notions of any kind please.

Yeah it does seem that even trying to comment on things contained within that episode can be coloured when I do have the full picture. It wasn't my intent but I'm happy to have got out of there without a 6'er and will just observe like one of the First Ones from now on.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sad King Billy posted:

Yeah it does seem that even trying to comment on things contained within that episode can be coloured when I do have the full picture. It wasn't my intent but I'm happy to have got out of there without a 6'er and will just observe like one of the First Ones from now on.

Folks have pretty much landed on "you can talk about production stuff" and that's about it. Like how the CGI got done on amigas and stuff. But even there tread lightly, since talking about Michael O'Hare can mess some stuff up.

Also holy crap I somehow never noticed that Andreas Katsulas is the one armed man in The Fugitive.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sad King Billy posted:

You weren't being a jerk about it, so when I reported it I specifically asked for just an edit, we are all posting buddies here.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Fugitive is far better than it has any right to be

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Seriously.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't know, at some point the contrivance of the One-Armed Man gets tiresome.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

ConfusedUs posted:

I still say ‘I don’t care’ like Jones

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, I appreciated that about halfway through the movie, Tommy Lee Jones' character realized that nothing Dr.Kimble was doing made any sense at all, unless he genuinely, 100% believed his wide was murdered by a one-armed man, and then actually works to help prove it, but still working to bring in Dr.Kimble because he IS still a fugitive.

See also:
Colin Farrell's character in Minority Report. You think he's the one who setup Tom Cruise, but then at the Crow murder scene, he explains (since he is still a REAL detective who has to rely on actual detective work) that this is an orgy of evidence, and obviously planted.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

I remember HATING Sheridan after the first episode of season 2.

He shared a lot of mannerisms with my worst bully at school (yay high school) and it triggered me hard. He had this whole “I’m the golden child” thing going on and just insta rage.

I’m not going to comment on if that feeling changed or not.

Well, you can comment here!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

McCloud posted:

Well, you can comment here!

I'd say that is just as bad as what I put in the thread. How can you not believe he'll change after that 'no comment' bit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sad King Billy posted:

I'd say that is just as bad as what I put in the thread. How can you not believe he'll change after that 'no comment' bit.

I agree. That's why I reported both of you. "He did it too!" is a kid's game, don't play it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jedit posted:

Basically explaining the purpose of Sheridan's characterisation.

I saw their reaction and I wanted to say something about them saying he was a spoiled rich boy officer and I have no idea where the rich part came from.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

pentyne posted:

I saw their reaction and I wanted to say something about them saying he was a spoiled rich boy officer and I have no idea where the rich part came from.

He goes on about meeting the Dalai Lama and stuff so that might give the impression of him being a spoiled rich kid.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Papa Sheridan is a retired diplomat, mentioned in the same speech about meeting the Dalai Lama. Not William Edgars level, but not middle-class, certainly not in terms of social prestige.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Sad King Billy posted:

Agree. The post would have been fine except for the last line. :sigh:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Oof, Confessions and Lamentations hits a lot harder than the last time I watched it, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Josh the Zorlon: "Dabbing is a 3 edged sword"
Josh the Zorlon: "The superbowl has already started, it is too late for chips to vote"