Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
going to be lots of this sort of thing right now as people who've been employed their entire lives with no trouble suddenly find out they're hosed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53026175

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jose posted:

going to be lots of this sort of thing right now as people who've been employed their entire lives with no trouble suddenly find out they're hosed

Yep, lots of "but I didn't think the leopards would give me insufficient benefits to live on :cry:" coming up I fear.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Racism is the real bravery.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A not insignificant part of me would be far happier if they all loving starved. Smug twats likely never gave it a thought before now.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jose posted:

Why would you resign if you thought you were going to be made redundant anyway?

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Borrovan posted:

It's a poo poo deal but the choice suddenly becomes a lot more meaningful if you actually have the power to gently caress with them.

The first will send the army out, the second will say "I don't agree with your methods, but by pure coincidence I'm going to suddenly start listening to the non-violent people saying the exact same thing"

What if the second also just sends the army out but in a different colour

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Why would you resign if you thought you were going to be made redundant anyway?

people are extremely loving dumb

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/jaffameister/status/1272796583499894784

gently caress Kier. With a borrowed horse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its cool that after losing a ton of popular support by not sacking cummings boris has decided to follow it up with not spending money on meals for kids

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
as far as I can tell Keir hasn't actually made a direct statement to anyone on the leaked plans for trans issues yet, there's just that one times article on how he hasn't said anything yet drawing conclusions about what his strategy actually is

that said, he hasn't said anything yet, so he at the very least doesn't see it worth commenting on, so uhh yeah he's still being very poo poo at this

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

In the absence of any reasonable chance of a Left government, he's started being right a lot of the time.
https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1272542347352571910

Honestly it's such a weird thing for the government to be set against.

We're spending hundreds of billions on furlough and other corona schemes, why not just say gently caress it and add another £100m on so you don't have to take a public stand against feeding kids? After a campaign with massive public support led by a young black guy, at a time when you'd think they'd want a positive race relations story?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

peanut- posted:

Honestly it's such a weird thing for the government to be set against.

We're spending hundreds of billions on furlough and other corona schemes, why not just say gently caress it and add another £100m on so you don't have to take a public stand against feeding kids? After a campaign with massive public support led by a young black guy, at a time when you'd think they'd want a positive race relations story?

they've fully stopped giving a poo poo since they know the press will back them anyways

https://twitter.com/theresecoffey/status/1272789819354161152?s=20

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FYI, this is a reaction to the paywalled Times article we previously saw in the thread, not something based on new evidence.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jose posted:

they've fully stopped giving a poo poo since they know the press will back them anyways

I give it 2 days until the Guardian is asking why Rashford doesn't feed every child in England on his own wages.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah the gov has finally figured out that this is a particularly dumb kind of dictatorship and as long as you've got the media onside you can easily navigate the once per 5 years RNG gate that selects which group of the ruling class get to gently caress the best kids

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
our senior management are having an in person meeting in the office for no discernible reason lol

say what you will about these cunts (e.g. they're loving idiot morons who only haven't run the business into the ground because they're not really allowed to make any decisions) but at least they take my safety just as seriously as they take their own

e: also the HR person said on the last office zoom call that if they drop the distancing requirement to 1 m they can get people back into the office instead of working from home lol

why wait for that specific piece of advice to change when you're going to ignore the other one about working from home if possible and you ignored the 2 m advice for like three months at the beginning of the pandemic "because it's just us in here and if one of us had it then we'd all have got it" :suicide:

XMNN fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 16, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inshallah it ends with 30something zoomers gullotining people while streaming it on tiktok and doing fortnite dances.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Zoomers are great and honestly I'm just excited to see how loving wild my kid's generation grow up to be (Generation Alpha or whatever the gently caress term they'll use)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah not meant disparagingly I definitely think they're cooler than millenials by a wide margin.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yeah not meant disparagingly I definitely think they're cooler than millenials by a wide margin.

Oh for sure, we suck and I wasn't at all reading your post negatively.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

e: also the HR person said on the last office zoom call that if they drop the distancing requirement to 1 m they can get people back into the office instead of working from home lol

why wait for that specific piece of advice to change when you're going to ignore the other one about working from home if possible and you ignored the 2 m advice for like three months at the beginning of the pandemic "because it's just us in here and if one of us had it then we'd all have got it" :suicide:

You'd be amazed at the number of people who are desperate to get back to the office. Either because they're in shared flats with no working space, or have small kids around (fair), or they miss the social dynamic and think they can't do their job properly without being face to face (twats).

HR are likely being harassed to reopen by these people all the time.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I give it 2 days until the Guardian is asking why Rashford doesn't feed every child in England on his own wages.

I saw one of the Man Utd youtube channels that helped out with his charity drive last christmas talk about how much he's actually giving. They said he wanted to keep it secret because he genuinely wanted to help and not make the story about him, but apparently the sum was "eyewatering"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/darshnasoni/status/1272843569494216705?s=20

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

peanut- posted:

You'd be amazed at the number of people who are desperate to get back to the office. Either because they're in shared flats with no working space, or have small kids around (fair), or they miss the social dynamic and think they can't do their job properly without being face to face (twats).

I'm not harassing HR, but I am absolutely in the "desperate to get back to the office" group. My mental health has taken an absolute loving nosedive over the last few months and I'm very close to just losing it entirely.

Obviously I don't want to endanger anyone else (and my workplace is currently planning on suggesting people come back to the office until late-September at the very earliest, which is definitely a good thing!) but the current situation just isn't sustainable for me any more.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1272838940953915393

The FO have been desperate for this for decades. It has one very clear meaning: we will be completely ditching humanitarian and development funding, UK overseas aid is now 100% a trade relations and influence tool.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I_Socom posted:

I'm not harassing HR, but I am absolutely in the "desperate to get back to the office" group. My mental health has taken an absolute loving nosedive over the last few months and I'm very close to just losing it entirely.

W I don't want to endanger anyone else (and my workplace is currently planning on suggesting people come back to the office until late-September at the very earliest, which is definitely a good thing!) but the current situation just isn't sustainable for me any more.

there was a thing where some bigwig at Barclays was saying that they are planning to bring about a whole ton more working from home since they haven't seen any drop in productivity at all. makes sense to not pay a gorillion dollars in annual overheads on a massive building in the City when you can just toss a laptop at all the new hires.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TheRat posted:

I saw one of the Man Utd youtube channels that helped out with his charity drive last christmas talk about how much he's actually giving. They said he wanted to keep it secret because he genuinely wanted to help and not make the story about him, but apparently the sum was "eyewatering"

One of the things that is really making me spit is so many of the comments under articles /tweets about this are along the lines of 'why don't you the overpaid footballer contribute some of your own dosh', or 'have you contributed any? Thought not.' Same with comments about Gary Lineker. OK I have zero idea if Lineker is contributing huge sums (I think he's definitely contributed £140k anyway from one article I saw), but neither do any of these 'bottom half of the internet' types.

peanut- posted:

The FO have been desperate for this for decades. It has one very clear meaning: we will be completely ditching humanitarian and development funding, UK overseas aid is now 100% a trade relations and influence tool.

That's what all these types who say 'we should cut the overseas aid budget' don't get, the overseas aid budget is predominantly the Sales, Marketing & Advertising budget for UK Plc.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 16, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deciding to develop a drinking habit because an alcoholic told you it was a bad idea.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

peanut- posted:

UK is going to be a third world economy in 6 months, impractical to expect much humanitarian aid from them

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

peanut- posted:

Yeah I was baffled by the concept, then I remembered that I'm sitting at a large, comfortable desk with a second monitor to spread my work out on, in a reasonably comfortable (if aging with very little cushioning left) £400-odd-quid office chair, and I've been in several zoom calls with people whose only work space is literally on their actual bed.

I can fully understand people who don't have a remotely useful home-working space wanting to go back. But equally, I fully loving don't - I will once my work starts being back in the building again, but whilst it's not (because the members aren't able to get into the building so there's no in-person teaching happening) I'll be pushing to stay at home as much as possible for as long as possible, for the sake of shielding and for the sake of making it easier for other people to distance appropriately in a ludicrously cramped building. I have that luxury, but not everyone does.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

peanut- posted:

Rather than 99%? Even UN programs that the UK supports are all heavily influenced by capitalist frameworks of development, turning peoples and communities into labour pools and investment zones which inherently develop in ways to maximise their exploitation to the benefit of the core capitalist economies.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol boris has u turned becauase of course they were going to have to

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1272861386973028352

well that was quick

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

peanut- posted:

yeah there were a few people mentioning that on the call, although it was leaning much more towards the chatting to people than the child care as far as I can tell (most of their kids are teenagers)

the MD was like "you get ideas from bouncing things around the office", like it's mad men or something which is very laughable because the marketing people are basically not allowed to do anything because global HQ is hyperfocussed on maintaining a "consistent brand" and the only other people who work in the office are customer service and lab people who are all in anyway and don't need much in the way of brainstorming

although tbf to the MD he does have the casual racism and misogyny down, so it is a little bit like mad men

I don't know how much harassing of HR lady is going on, but it's not like they need it as they've never taken this seriously (either through a lack of concern or a lack of understanding) and the MD has started coming in semi regularly for the banter anyway

I really hope I find a new job soon

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jose posted:

This is a government led by headlines, the pandemic doesn't care about that and that's why it's never been controlled and any movement which is created and operates independent of press opinion will destroy them.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Jose posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53065806

On the school meals thing. Was this at all related to RLB's letter writing request, or just coincidence?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

no its because marcus rashford shamed the government into doing it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Sunday Telegraph
https://twitter.com/JordanFW07/status/1271988052592738304

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Well done Keir Sturmer forcing this humiliating turnaround by simply doing gently caress all and not mentioning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Sorry, I meant I wonder if his letter was at all related to the call or whether it was two separate strands.