Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jose posted:

no its because marcus rashford shamed the government into doing it

I'm not sure just when the footballers started really understanding how to flex political muscle but holy poo poo I love it. Organising this right as the clubs are about to return and the government need the circuses back was fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Australian Telegraph.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Incy posted:

Sorry, I meant I wonder if his letter was at all related to the call or whether it was two separate strands.

Rashford has been working on this for a long time, mostly local to Manchester.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Lol it's opposition day debate about free school meals this afternoon so it's just going to be RLB dunking on the government and they now can't even argue back.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

peanut- posted:

You'd be amazed at the number of people who are desperate to get back to the office. Either because they're in shared flats with no working space, or have small kids around (fair), or they miss the social dynamic and think they can't do their job properly without being face to face (twats).

HR are likely being harassed to reopen by these people all the time.

Thanks to capitalisms continued destruction of local communities for not making a profit, for many people work is their main outlet for social interaction - especially those who have had to move for jobs and don't have any roots in a local area. The sudden severing of those connections has cut many people socialization off - primarily single people, whether single parents or just young adults.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Australian Telegraph.
That's a Murdoch product rather than the Brothers Berkeley, right?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

The prime minister’s official spokesperson said on Tuesday: “Owing to the coronavirus pandemic the prime minister fully understands that children and parents face an entirely unprecedented situation over the summer.

“To reflect this we will be providing a Covid summer food fund, this will provide food vouchers over the six week summer holiday period.

“This is a specific measure to reflect the unique circumstances of the pandemic. The scheme will not continue beyond the summer.”

vs

quote:

However Downing Street has confirmed the scheme will end when the school term ends. The prime minister’s official spokespman said: “The PM understands the issues facing families across the UK, which is why last week the government announced an additional £63m for local authorities to benefit families who are struggling to afford food and other basic essentials.
I'm glad Boris understands so many things, although it's a bit concerning that he can understand something one way and then immediately understand it the other way

e:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Lol it's opposition day debate about free school meals this afternoon so it's just going to be RLB dunking on the government and they now can't even argue back.

they are definitely going to just say they've done it now so what are you complaining about, what happened to constructive opposition smdh

e2: bonus points if they never acknowledge that they were not going to in the first place

XMNN fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 16, 2020

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
So they've managed to do the right thing, except still made themselves look grasping and contemptuous of the poor first. The Tory MPs who had to defend the initial decision publicly must be loving furious.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:lmao:
https://twitter.com/HelenJMacdonald/status/1272790032244490240

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

I think statue nonce should be the preferred nomenclature

https://twitter.com/SoozUK/status/1271787857171156993?s=20

although tbf to these guys cook is a lot more at risk, on account of being a genocidaire

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

https://twitter.com/thedaillew/status/1272807309044068354?s=21

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1272865926703169537

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't even know there was a statue of him in Whitby.

They should really try to protect the giant loving hospital named after him instead in case an antifa throws it into the sea.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

That's a Murdoch product rather than the Brothers Berkeley, right?

Ayup. Australia's most overtly racist paper, if you can wrap your brain around that mental image.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She, I think. What were George Eliot's pronouns?

I wonder if that one confused the statue defenders.

e: ^^ Are they the ones that run the cartoonist that makes Mac look antiracist?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I meant Cook.

You know if the statue is at the top of the cliff, which it looks like it is, it would make a really big splash if someone pushed it off.

Well, I guess crunch rather than splash about 75% of the time, but still.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

e: ^^ Are they the ones that run the cartoonist that makes Mac look antiracist?

She was just one of several female authors of the time who used a male pen-name to get a broader and less prejudiced audience, no greater meaning. Just like Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I know counter-factuals and hypotheticals are completely useless and inane, but it's amazing to think of how a Corbyn government would have been treated if it had churned out this many gaffes and u-turns (and deaths) in the last six months.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

My God, there is no grift they won’t make.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

She was just one of several female authors of the time who used a male pen-name to get a broader and less prejudiced audience, no greater meaning. Just like Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell.
I do actually wonder what her pronouns were in a professional written capacity. Like were literary reviews of the day saying 'his work' and did she mind?

More evidence of the trans agenda erasing Natal women :argh:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

keep punching joe posted:

Well done Keir Sturmer forcing this humiliating turnaround by simply doing gently caress all and not mentioning it.

I found where the REAL opposition is:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1272515679762239494

Someone make this man the opposition leader because he's doing far better than this scruffy Kor Streamer idiot!!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Actually I think you'll find "we did it"?

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1272866991683051520

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

That's kind of disgusting

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/matthewchampion/status/1272801594489204736?s=19

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Funny thing these Tory governments, they get sweeping mandates from the electorate but after a few months they’re as weak as poo poo and u turn constantly

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
can we get rashford to speak up on gra reform now

or, you know, literally anything starmer should be making any attempt to accomplish

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Keir Starmer makes a lot more sense once you accept that he's an experimental android in the process of having his OS debugged. I'll be proven correct when he starts shouting HELLO WORLD at PMQs

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
A tale as old as time - the political class claiming itself all the credit for social progress forced on them by society in general.

Society forces us to do X, we represent society, therefore we're responsible for X.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

can we get rashford to speak up on gra reform now

or, you know, literally anything starmer should be making any attempt to accomplish
Can't believe that Hatsune Miku wrote Harry Potter and that Marcus Rashford is Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1272867269429911552?s=19

They're all so brave the second there isn't a left wing leader to actually do anything about it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MarcusRashforrd/status/1272861517080342528

Ah bollocks it's fake.

Still funny though.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Dunno if this came up here yet, but £108m of the £1.7bn in private COVID tenders went to an obvious shell company:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/43bb10de-645a-43a4-bb7e-ac3978ec445d

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
oh my god

https://twitter.com/blueyounglabour/status/1272589689212502016?s=21

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wachter posted:

Keir Starmer makes a lot more sense once you accept that he's an experimental android in the process of having his OS debugged. I'll be proven correct when he starts shouting HELLO WORLD at PMQs

"The Maybots always were a bit twitchy. That could never happen now with our behavioral inhibitors. It is now possible for me, by omission of action, to allow to human beings to be harmed. " ~ Keir Starbot

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1272867269429911552?s=19

They're all so brave the second there isn't a left wing leader to actually do anything about it.

Is she saying benefits and minimum wage should be higher, or is she saying the proles should be feeding their kids instead of squandering their pennies on tattoos and sky tv

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I signed up to Twitter so I could follow interesting people but most of it just aggravates the gently caress out of me so I'm going to delete it. Don't know how people can go on it every day.

Is social media making us all bottoms?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

justcola posted:

I signed up to Twitter so I could follow interesting people but most of it just aggravates the gently caress out of me so I'm going to delete it. Don't know how people can go on it every day.

Is social media making us all bottoms?

I only survive twitter by curating who I follow to a tiny amount of decent people. It's really not worth it. Just let other people sift through the poo poo and post interesting stuff here.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My exposure to twitter is exclusively this thread. You lot are my filter so i only see the crème de la crème of twitter, thank u for you're sacrifice