Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah I am just in love with the TDI and if I can find a 2015 with under 50k, CPO, I want to pounce. They seemingly ALL have sunroofs past 2012 as if it is standard feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

dialhforhero posted:

So I see a LOT of VWs with sunroofs. I really want a Golf and I need to go used for price. I guess I am having a hard time learning my sunroof lesson but what are the chances of a golf sunroof leaking :v:

In October I bought a 2006 Passat with a leaking roof. Previous Owner put duct tape all over the sunroof and windshield. I took it all off. Cleaned the sunroof drains and... what do you know... no more leaks. Even in strong storms, I haven't seen a drop of water inside since I bought the car.

VW is the lower level of German engineering. It needs continuous maintenance, but it doesn't eat ALL of the high $$$ parts like BMW/Mercedes.

That said, I've got a random hyper-blink from the left front bumper signal bulb. Sometimes it's on for a couple days, then it goes away. Same with the "check gas gap" warnings. Also, a whole slew of light warnings since I changed a bunch out to LEDs and haven't coded out the self check. Also, random AFS headlight adjuster inop warnings.

So, basically, it's a normal VW.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

dialhforhero posted:

So I see a LOT of VWs with sunroofs. I really want a Golf and I need to go used for price. I guess I am having a hard time learning my sunroof lesson but what are the chances of a golf sunroof leaking :v:
It's a crap shoot - seems to be fairly common. I had a 2016 GTI that leaked all the time. It took 3 tries to fix it. A 2017 regular Golf without issue. I currently have a 2020 Tiguan with panoramic sunroof without issues so far. For the GTI they ended up replacing and entire sunroof kit and gluing it all the way around to seal it. I had it for a year after it was fixed without issue. The dealer showed me the invoice cost - if it hadn't been under warranty all in it would have been about $800 to fix it the last time. I've seen posts on VW forums with owners that are on their 5th or 6th try without resolution, so if it does happen make sure you go to a repair shop you trust that will actually seal it all the way.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I got lucky with my SportWagen in that upon buying it they agreed to fix any leaks all costs on them and they did. It took two tries but this second try is going well. I got a free headliner to boot. I even got a warranty letter and ‘voluntary recal’ from VW so I am still covered into December 2021.

I just don’t want to repeat that unless I can finagle the same deal with a dealer.

If you find the right car at the right price and the only thing bad is a sunroof it is really hard to not want to still go for it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

2007 GTI no leaks. And no sagging headliner either, I've heard that can be a problem.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

My '08 Rabbit (no sunroof) had a sagging headliner after like 5 years, but my 2011 JSW with pano sunroof has had no issues with leaks (knock on wood).

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

meatpimp posted:

Also, random AFS headlight adjuster inop warnings.

So, basically, it's a normal VW.

I get this light too on my 2012 GTI. For like 2 years now. Brought it to a dealership one time to have them check it (of course it wasn’t on right then) and they couldn’t even find a history of codes for it. So I just check my lights every once in a while and hope for the best.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

latinotwink1997 posted:

I get this light too on my 2012 GTI. For like 2 years now. Brought it to a dealership one time to have them check it (of course it wasn’t on right then) and they couldn’t even find a history of codes for it. So I just check my lights every once in a while and hope for the best.

It happens a lot less frequently since I changed the headlight switch to "Off" instead of "Auto." That takes one round of automated tomfoolery out of the system, but yeah, I drove around for 40 minutes today without it on, hit a bump -- ding and AFS message on the dash.

One of these days, I'll go through the wiring diagrams and check all the connections. Today is not that day.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

2007 GTI no leaks. And no sagging headliner either, I've heard that can be a problem.

I have a 2008 rabbit with no sunroof so it doesn't leak, but the headliner is more like a head covering

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Hi everyone, I just purchased a 2015 Audi S3 Cabriolet with 55,000 KM. I absolutely adore this car! (My first since I made the move from the USA to Switzerland.) My only complaint is the lack of a backup camera. I don’t understand how a car with lane assist, adaptive cruise control, road sign recognition doesn’t come with one. How hard is it to install one? I’m used to working on American cars where cable routing is miserable and body panels will squeak after being reassembled.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Crayvex posted:

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 2015 Audi S3 Cabriolet with 55,000 KM. I absolutely adore this car! (My first since I made the move from the USA to Switzerland.) My only complaint is the lack of a backup camera. I don’t understand how a car with lane assist, adaptive cruise control, road sign recognition doesn’t come with one. How hard is it to install one? I’m used to working on American cars where cable routing is miserable and body panels will squeak after being reassembled.

The key to doing things with interior panels imo is a big bag of replacement clips and a proper tool for removing them- you don't want to have to stress about breaking clips and you definitely want to replace any broken ones if you want to avoid noise.

Someone probably already did what you want to do or similar and made a youtube video or forums post- probably a good place to start so you can think about the easiest cable run

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

DesperateDan posted:

The key to doing things with interior panels imo is a big bag of replacement clips and a proper tool for removing them- you don't want to have to stress about breaking clips and you definitely want to replace any broken ones if you want to avoid noise.

Someone probably already did what you want to do or similar and made a youtube video or forums post- probably a good place to start so you can think about the easiest cable run

Thanks for the advice. I am now looking at adding the self parking feature. Oh god... what am I doing... Maybe I’ll just find an installer to do this stuff...

https://www.k-electronic-shop.de/AUDI/AUDI-A3/AUDI-A3-8V/AUDI-A3-8V-Parklenkassistent-PLA-12-Sensoren-Nachruestpaket.html

https://www.k-electronic-shop.de/AUDI/AUDI-A3/AUDI-A3-8V/AUDI-A3-8V-Cabriolet-Rueckfahrkamera-VOR-FACELIFT-Nachruestpaket.html

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

so after three years with a Saab that was beautiful yet tempramental and expensive, i'm making my way back to VWs. probably going to get a Passat TDI from a local dealer here, which is extra good because right now they have a 0% for 60 months offer on certified pre-owned cars, and the one I want is certified. test-drove one and...man, i like it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

so after three years with a Saab that was beautiful yet tempramental and expensive, i'm making my way back to VWs. probably going to get a Passat TDI from a local dealer here, which is extra good because right now they have a 0% for 60 months offer on certified pre-owned cars, and the one I want is certified. test-drove one and...man, i like it.

A diesel Passat sounds cool! I’ve been liking my TSI Golf, though it ate an engine within a month of buying it with 50K on the odometer. Good as new now though.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

This story is about a year old, but apparently Audi made a RS8 prototype with the last gen A8. They have it on display at the Audi Forum Neckarsulm.

https://www.motor1.com/news/361243/audi-rs8-sedan-prototype/

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Just ordered a 2020 TT RS in a spec that leaves out as many of the boy racer bits as possible. Do you all know how long it takes from order to delivery these days?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Congrats and enjoy my dream car!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

got off on a technicality posted:

Just ordered a 2020 TT RS in a spec that leaves out as many of the boy racer bits as possible. Do you all know how long it takes from order to delivery these days?
My sister’s TTRS took almost 6 months. However, 3 of the months were waiting to get a build spot.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I put a new battery in my Mk1 Pickup and now the horn relay shorts through the gearstick.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 4, 2020

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

shame on an IGA posted:

I put a new battery in my Mk1 Pickup and now the horn relay shorts through the gearstick.

:toot:

Aww, you hid the video. i couldnt stop laughing at it.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 4, 2020

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

My Mk. V Jetta has a low beam out and I discovered that it's not the bulb but the contact that connects the socket to the rest of the assembly has a burnt up/corroded contact. Does anyone know if I can find that specific part to replace or do I have to get the whole assembly replaced. It's in perfectly fine condition otherwise.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Dudeabides posted:

My Mk. V Jetta has a low beam out and I discovered that it's not the bulb but the contact that connects the socket to the rest of the assembly has a burnt up/corroded contact. Does anyone know if I can find that specific part to replace or do I have to get the whole assembly replaced. It's in perfectly fine condition otherwise.

Could it be this?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-dorman-parts/h7-bulb-headlight-socket/84717~dor/

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Unfortunately no. It’s the socket type where the bulb and it’s contacts are in a plastic cap that is removed from the assembly with a quarter turn.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Dudeabides posted:

Unfortunately no. It’s the socket type where the bulb and it’s contacts are in a plastic cap that is removed from the assembly with a quarter turn.

Then maybe it's this: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/bulb-socket-priced-each/1t0941109/

Found here: https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--2.0T/Lighting/Headlights/

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

2007 Audi A3
I'm having some coolant system issues that I'm going to have worked on, but I'm trying to do some diagnosis to confirm what I want to have done.
The thermostat is stuck open, I'm pretty sure of that. It takes forever to warm up, and doesn't give out much heat in winter. More recently I've noticed the temperature gauge in the instrument cluster is just pegged at C no matter how much I drive and it's the middle of summer, so I'm thinking I'll replace the temperature sensors too.

But when I drive it around with my OBDeleven, the coolant temp gets up to about ~80ish degrees Celsius. It takes a long time to get there, and it will drop at like stop lights and whatever, so it further confirms my thermostat issue. But if the ECU is getting a temperature reading, and the gauge is not, it seems like replacing the sensors wouldn't help.

I've been doing a little research online, some people say of the two temperature sensors, one reports to the ECU and the other reports to the dashboard. Is that true? That would line up with what I've observed.
And other people say if you have a thermostat issue it'll disable the temperature gauge just before giving you a CEL for P2181 which I've had and cleared before.

I'll probably get the sensors replaced anyway because they're fairly inexpensive, and if someone is doing the work to take the thermostat out, it shouldn't cost me more than a few minutes in labor. I'm just more concerned if there is a problem with the instrument cluster.

Edit: I learned I can do an output test on the dashboard, and all the gauges moved as expected, and I figured out what the proper measuring block to look at for reading both temperature sensors was (130). The car had been heat soaking for a while, so they both gave sane results, but it wasn't like one was returning an error. But still the gauge was pegged at C when running. I'll probably check again tomorrow once the car fully cools back down and properly graph it.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 15, 2020

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Yep, it's that first one. I also need to see how i can replace the burnt up contact that's in the assembly too, which is the trickier find because I feel like it's something only in the assembly, or I need to find a very specific metal piece to replace that contact.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

shame on an IGA posted:

Yea the horn wire comes out of the bottom of steering shaft right near the shift linkage

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Deviant posted:

:toot:

Aww, you hid the video. i couldnt stop laughing at it.

Nah just switched it to imgur because I realized I was doxxing myself

Besides now it loops for maximum :toot:

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 16, 2020

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

shame on an IGA posted:

Nah just switched it to imgur because I realized I was doxxing myself

Besides now it loops for maximum :toot:

Still funny. :toot:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
My ‘15 SportWagen TDI with 40k miles had the coolant light go on after starting this morning. 90 degrees F and humid. I checked and the reservoir is below minimum.

Should I try to just add coolant or should I assume I have a leak? I have never had a coolant problem in any car ever, but because it is my first diesel and VW i figured I would ask. I have never noticed fluid below the car before. Did not check today because I was in a hurry and it slipped my mind.

I used my other car today.

If I have to take it to a shop can I even drive it there? Really don’t want to tow it, but REALLY don’t want to brick it.

I guess I always assumed a coolant system on every engine is a completely sealed system so wtf?

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 19, 2020

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

dialhforhero posted:

My ‘15 SportWagen TDI with 40k miles had the coolant light go on after starting this morning. 90 degrees F and humid. I checked and the reservoir is below minimum.

Should I try to just add coolant or should I assume I have a leak? I have never had a coolant problem in any car ever, but because it is my first diesel and VW i figured I would ask. I have never noticed fluid below the car before. Did not check today because I was in a hurry and it slipped my mind.

If I have to take it to a shop can I even drive it there? Really don’t want to tow it, but REALLY don’t want to brick it.

I guess I always assumed a coolant system on every engine is a completely sealed system so wtf?

There's a leak somewhere and you definitely don't want to run it dry.

For the purposes of maybe getting it to a garage you could try adding water to it (I wouldn't bother with coolant till you know it's not gonna come pouring out again) and seeing if it pisses out anywhere obvious with the engine off- if it doesn't pour out of somewhere then it's either a slow leak or something that only leaks when things are warmed up, and you can probably limp it a short distance at least but if that coolant warning goes again you need to stop, let it cool off and only then top up and continue

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dialhforhero posted:

My mk6 tdi and my mk7 GTI both needed a random coolant top off every now and then. No leaks observed on either.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fknlo posted:

My mk6 tdi and my mk7 GTI both needed a random coolant top off every now and then. No leaks observed on either.

Yeah, don't freak out over coolant getting low once. Yes, it's not supposed to go low, but there can be a huge number of causes. Put distilled water in it until it's up to proper level. Then drive it. And watch the level.

If you take it directly to a shop, you're pretty much asking for a big bill, because they will find an issue.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Okay. It takes G16 and distilled water. Is this a fairly simple mix and pour? Or am I going to NEED to go to a dealer to get this poo poo?

I am asking if this coolant is fine from AutoZone, basically.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 19, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

dialhforhero posted:

Okay. It takes G16 and distilled water. Is this a fairly simple mix and pour? Or am I going to NEED to go to a dealer to get this poo poo?

If there is still some coolant in the reservoir, it's just below the minimum, then it won't take a lot of liquid to bring it back up. Just put in some distilled water (measure it out if you want to be super correct (that way you can get the proper coolant in the meantime and add the same amount of that next time you need to top it off). You're in a diagnosis phase right now. The distilled water will get the light off and you can drive it, just watch over the next couple days. Make sure you check it when cool, since the level will rise at temperature.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I guess I am asking if the coolant I can get at AutoZone is fine because if it just needs topped off every 40k miles I would prefer it be a more permanent solution in the tank, so to speak :v:. Sure, coolant is 20 bucks and water is 2 but if it won’t make a lick of difference in this quantity I guess that’s what I want to know before I get water.

Thanks for the help so far.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dialhforhero posted:

I ordered some premixed stuff off amazon. It wasn't cheap but I'm lazy so it was worth it. I don't know if you'll be able to find it locally outside of a dealer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dialhforhero posted:

I guess I am asking if the coolant I can get at AutoZone is fine because if it just needs topped off every 40k miles I would prefer it be a more permanent solution in the tank, so to speak :v:. Sure, coolant is 20 bucks and water is 2 but if it won’t make a lick of difference in this quantity I guess that’s what I want to know before I get water.

Thanks for the help so far.

I've gotten coolant for my MKV GTI at O'Reilly. Just make sure it's the correct spec. (I believe mine had to gotten from the back)

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Yeah my reservoir fluid is pink and online I see g13 OEM stuff but I don’t want to blend anything (manual says that is a huge no-no). Just hoping a retailer around here has it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There should be a list of what you can mix somewhere. It's pretty limited.