Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That's still something video games have yet to simulate properly. I look forward to next-gen Mortal Kombat finally allowing us this kind of graphical fidelity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There was that MK11 animator that said that after working on that game he would constantly get intrusive thoughts about his dog's internal organs and viscera, I would assume that goes double for TLOU2 animators

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Yeah vicarious trauma is insidious and hosed, a decade in the military and social work has imprinted some lovely things in my brain. Not quite ptsd but I get counselling pretty regularly because of just being exposed to certain media.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, when you graphically disembowel your victims you're gonna see some poo poo, it's literally there

This is made me wonder if Last of Us 2 could have a gameplay moment where you have to kill someone after they leave their group to take a poo poo.

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
Oh poo poo there's a full walkthrough already https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv1hLip3NNc&t=74s

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Hwurmp posted:

the emotion of the moment when I learned the Princess was in another castle will stay with me forever

Last time we let Rian Johnson direct a Mario level.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, when you graphically disembowel your victims you're gonna see some poo poo, it's literally there

But how do I know its bad unless I see in a video game first? Which then tells me I should feel bad about it?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Archer666 posted:

But how do I know its bad unless I see in a video game first? Which then tells me I should feel bad about it?

Ah the solution is not to think anything about anything unless someone else tells you what to think first.

Under no circumstances come to your own independant conclusions and defintely never forumulate your own opinion. That's dangerous thinking my friend.

This conversation may have been recorded by the Ministry of Love for quality assurance purposes.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
This thread gets to a more sophisticated understanding of the exchange of form between games and movies.

https://twitter.com/xoxogossipgita/status/1272633277413756929

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Don't

poo poo

from

twitter

nobodies!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Don't

poo poo

from

twitter

nobodies!!!

thats gita jackson lmao

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

really looking forward to ten dozen award-sweeping billion-dollar cover shooters about ED in ten or twenty years

The Last of Up

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DancingShade posted:

Ah the solution is not to think anything about anything unless someone else tells you what to think first.

Under no circumstances come to your own independant conclusions and defintely never forumulate your own opinion. That's dangerous thinking my friend.

This conversation may have been recorded by the Ministry of Love for quality assurance purposes.

ok now THIS is epic

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Don't

poo poo

from

twitter

nobodies!!!

Gina

is

a

longstanding

games

writer

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

gina

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

So well-known and influential you misspelled her name!

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

doingitwrong posted:

Gina

is

a

longstanding

games

writer

I think she is more of a journalist than a games writer? No?

Also there is a Gina Jackson AND a Gita Jackson and first time i have heard of them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My reasons for no twitter poo poo are purely ideological: Everytime you repost some blazing hot take from offsite, you're outsourcing a bad post that could be manufactured right here on the good old SA forums.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hwurmp posted:

they already made Metroid a girl once, she's called Metroidle

You're confused, that's Jane Halo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

You're confused, that's Jane Halo

this is Jane Halo you twit

side note: god Imgur's new layout is a pile of poo poo, are there any non-useless hosting sites left

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's okay to post twitter stuff actually

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

oddium posted:

it's okay to post twitter stuff actually

https://twitter.com/RatsEveryHour/status/1272462216692785152

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm on the fence about buying this just so I can post like a huge rear end in a top hat about it, though hey, I could be wrong and love it

For me I cannot buy this on principle but that's also a catch 22.

There are some awesome developers at ND in which I want to support. Those are the folks on the frontline. At the same time, Neil Druckman is a cancer to the game industry and has treated those employees of his with absolute 100% disdain as he tries to advance his career path into Hollywood. He forced out Amy Hennig, arguably one of the best writers in the game industry - and it doesn't help that the reviewers and media were not allowed to talk about the last half of the game under the guise of spoilers, but I'm pretty sure we all know that isn't the case. I believe the real reason is because the discombobulated story effects and the 10 hour side quest in which most reviewers drat near couldn't finish it has a lot to do with that, as well as character development that just doesn't work and is forced in. The game play in the first, in my opinion, wasn't what made the game at all. It was the character development and story and interactions.

Meanwhile, an Ex-IGN reviewer just blasted main stream game media outlets on her Youtube channel for not writing reviews for consumer decision making decisions, but rather so they can all pat themselves on the back in a bubble about how artistic they wrote them. (I personally think she was insufferable in the video and had a woe is me attitude, but I think she made a good point on that).

All in all, I know I should play games and say the heck with it, but now that I am much older, I have a harder time supporting people like Druckman who make this industry go down the rabbit hole even further when there are fantastic developers here who count on working their asses off to support their families and get ram-rodded by people like him. And what's worse, his ideology is 100% hypocritical to how he acts in the business - especially when it came to the Amy Hennig incident and not giving his employees their bonuses in advance while he took his cash after they delayed the game.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 16, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A Plague Tale 2: INNOCENCE LOST confirmed

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Utnayan posted:

For me I cannot buy this on principle but that's also a catch 22.

There are some awesome developers at ND in which I want to support. Those are the folks on the frontline. At the same time, Neil Druckman is a cancer to the game industry and has treated those employees of his with absolute 100% disdain as he tries to advance his career path into Hollywood. He forced out Amy Hennig, arguably one of the best writers in the game industry - and it doesn't help that the reviewers and media were not allowed to talk about the last half of the game under the guise of spoilers, but I'm pretty sure we all know that isn't the case. I believe the real reason is because the discombobulated story effects and the 10 hour side quest in which most reviewers drat near couldn't finish it has a lot to do with that, as well as character development that just doesn't work and is forced in. The game play in the first, in my opinion, wasn't what made the game at all. It was the character development and story and interactions.

Meanwhile, an Ex-IGN reviewer just blasted main stream game media outlets on her Youtube channel for not writing reviews for consumer decision making decisions, but rather so they can all pat themselves on the back in a bubble about how artistic they wrote them. (I personally think she was insufferable in the video and had a woe is me attitude, but I think she made a good point on that).

All in all, I know I should play games and say the heck with it, but now that I am much older, I have a harder time supporting people like Druckman who make this industry go down the rabbit hole even further when there are fantastic developers here who count on working their asses off to support their families and get ram-rodded by people like him. And what's worse, his ideology is 100% hypocritical to how he acts in the business - especially when it came to the Amy Hennig incident and not giving his employees their bonuses in advance while he took his cash after they delayed the game.

post the video

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Utnayan posted:

Have a link to this video? I'd like to check it out

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
this thread made me regret my words and deeds, but i will still buy this game

only play games about killing dogs in front of your dog to train him

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

CharlestonJew posted:

Have a link to this video? I'd like to check it out

Yep.

And to the poster above you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgg7_0rBUOA

One thing I didn't agree with was reviews cannot be skewed by the sites. She got to that at the end of the video, but I believe fully it is a conflict of interest that these sites depend on ad revenue paid for by publishers, trips to previews of games to report on, gifts at those events, access to breaking news/exclusives, and dinners/parties and such for the journalists, and that can have an influence at times to keep those people that are ultimately responsible for a part of their revenue, happy.

I also believe reviews have more importance, being that there are examples where bonuses were at one point (Obsidian and Fallout New Vegas here as a specific one we have all heard about) where employee bonuses were based on the review score. So I think it holds more importance than she states. If it didn't, bonuses wouldn't have been impacted by those review scores as the data she talks about doesn't point to sales. So we are seeing one opinion of hers (Or what she believes as fact based on what she used to do for a living) not aligning with what we saw on the above example.

Sorry don't want to take this into left field but she talks about TLOU2 specifically so figured may as well post about it.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 16, 2020

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

You wouldn't avoid buying a stock just because some Wall Street analyst had to work 100+ hours a week to get it to IPO. The average developer earns hundreds of thousands of dollars to type at a computer which is basically what I'm doing right now, but for free. Save your sympathy for the working class and delete your Amazon account.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Word

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Starks posted:

You wouldn't avoid buying a stock just because some Wall Street analyst had to work 100+ hours a week to get it to IPO. The average developer earns hundreds of thousands of dollars to type at a computer which is basically what I'm doing right now, but for free. Save your sympathy for the working class and delete your Amazon account.

that's some poo poo solidarity you got there, friend

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

that's some poo poo solidarity you got there, friend

it’s because he eats a lot of fiber

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

current and recently-former IGN game journos are some of the biggest if not the biggest shills in the industry, not to mention some of the most robotic and mediocre written reviews ever done. I remember one of them begging elon musk for a tesla over twitter lol

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Lecturing the cashier about why the apples I'm buying are so cheap

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Starks posted:

Hahaha

hahahahahahahaaa

holy poo poo you think they pay game developers poo poo?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, aren't game devs some of the lowest-paid computer touchers in any industry?

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Just preordered Last of us 2 because I support higher standards for maturity and quality in video games

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, aren't game devs some of the lowest-paid computer touchers in any industry?

I've got a friend who was offered triple what he makes now, but its financial software not games so he said no. Games industry relies on people doing it because its what they love.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Starks having no idea what he's talking about? What a shock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
did y'all sort out if this game none of you has played is good or bad yet?