Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
oxo cold brew maker kick's rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I use a course ground (french press setting), but I don't really filter I just let it settle and decant off the top

not sure if light, dark or medium is best for cold brew

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I used to ground my cold brew too fine and was making GBS threads way too much

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

having coffee

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drinking my cold brew, it's good! seems like cold brew yields are a little less than I expected though

did a 1:8 ratio (2oz ground beans:16oz water) and yielded 10oz cold brew concentrate, am I way off the mark with something or does that seem reasonable?

also, doing it directly in the french press was ez. highly recommend

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Podima posted:

drinking my cold brew, it's good! seems like cold brew yields are a little less than I expected though

did a 1:8 ratio (2oz ground beans:16oz water) and yielded 10oz cold brew concentrate, am I way off the mark with something or does that seem reasonable?

also, doing it directly in the french press was ez. highly recommend

how strong is your concentrate? i.e. how much are you diluting again to drink?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
1:1 dilution, half cup concentrate to half cup water

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
what's a good burr grinder that is also pretty cheap?

ty everyone

wyoak fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 16, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i used to have this one and it's been recommended as an entry level model itt before, it'll grind your beans alright: https://cuisinart.com/shopping/appliances/coffee_makers/dbm-8

now i have this one which is maybe twice the price but is nicer built, quieter and gives more consistently sized grounds: https://royaldesign.com/eu/svart-nymalt-coffee-grinder-wscg-2-silver. the svart aroma (CGWS-130B) is a newer version in black instead of silver, with a slower motor meant to heat the beans up less, exactly the same otherwise as far as i can tell

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

wyoak posted:

what's a good burr grinder that is also pretty cheap?

Baratza Encore

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fayez Butts posted:

Baratza Encore

You can get a refurbished one directly from Baratza if you want to save $30-40 as well.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Fayez Butts posted:

Baratza Encore

I’ve had one for five years, used at least once a day, it’s awesome

you can buy every single part for cheap from bar at a if you ever want to fix anything, too.

I had to replace a controller board because I was always banging the poo poo out of it knocked a disc capacitor loose. $9! I don’t do that anymore

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my kyocera grinder doesn't have a "controller board". Get some exercise. manual burr grinder is best.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
ok boomer

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
do you walk uphill both ways in a snowstorm while grinding your beans between your teeth

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
No i spend 30 seconds grinding some beans and put them in the coffee maker you absolute loving dumbass

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
manual burr grinder owns

takes very little effort and not only do you save a shitload of money but now you have something that you can take camping

because the only thing better than good coffee is good coffee in situations where traditionally you might have to drink bad coffee

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

bean's

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gonna have to get more beans

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

it takes less time for grinder to go brrr than it does for my kettle to boil

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

it takes less time for grinder to go brrr than it does for my kettle to boil

same, unless i feel like double-milling for some reason (feels like the burrs on my porlex may need a replacement, or maybe the whole unit is slightly out of alignment? idk i'm getting more boulders lately but it still tastes gr8)

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

psiox posted:

now you have something that you can take camping

camping is intense

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
been bean

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

drinking some afternoon joe

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i have a little hand grinder that i used in the office for 14g aeropress doses, back when we were going to an office. it was actually pretty pleasant and i usually beat the tea kettle heating up

but grinding out a whole 60g with a hand grinder for a pot of coffee in the morning would be a real pita

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I tried that aero press thing and

nah

pour over for life

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Did a cold brew with some beans that were just too dark a roast for me for aeropress and the result is pretty nice

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm I kind of miss having a steaming hot cup of coffee even though this cold brew thing is good, do people just microwave their cold brew?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Podima posted:

Hmm I kind of miss having a steaming hot cup of coffee even though this cold brew thing is good, do people just microwave their cold brew?
You drink cold brew cold. If you want hot coffee brew hot coffee. Anything else is barbaric.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Podima posted:

that's almost as deviant as the people who take hot coffee and make it into "iced coffee"

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Wait what, I was just pouring 100ml of the cold brew in a cup and topping off the rest with boiled water

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

prefect posted:

that's almost as deviant as the people who take hot coffee and make it into "iced coffee"

:hai:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
what kind of crazy heresy is being spawned in here?!

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

mystes posted:

You drink cold brew cold. If you want hot coffee brew hot coffee. Anything else is barbaric.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

once drank an entire 16 oz cold brew concentrate on a drive out of nyc

i guess the lesson here is

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lord funk posted:

once drank an entire 16 oz cold brew concentrate on a drive out of nyc

i guess the lesson here is

so you made it across the cross Bronx expressway powered by a Rocket of your own piss, got it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

drinking an enormous iced

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/Russia_NC/status/1273890510936125443

slicing up eyeballs