Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harry Dresden will have to battle the evil vampires who create a fake plague to scare humanity into staying indoors, during which he will repeatedly question why anyone is stupid enough to believe it is real and everyone will agree with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Not like we didn't have a short story from after Peace Talks already published to basically say "poo poo went bad, also people died" or anything.

i have never and will never read a single thing of dresden that isn't the actual books

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Not like we didn't have a short story from after Peace Talks already published to basically say "poo poo went bad, also people died" or anything.

Which one was that? The latest Dresden story I read was that weird three POV Zoo thing and I don't recall anything about that. Still, it's not like we needed a story to let us know that. It's like knowing Lee Child will drop a new Reacher book and predicting that "The big wandering guy is going to beat the poo poo out of somebody."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Everyone posted:

Which one was that? The latest Dresden story I read was that weird three POV Zoo thing and I don't recall anything about that. Still, it's not like we needed a story to let us know that. It's like knowing Lee Child will drop a new Reacher book and predicting that "The big wandering guy is going to beat the poo poo out of somebody."

It was a Christmas short story on his website. It takes place after Peace Talks.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Daric posted:

I’m assuming the peace talks don’t go well

Coming in 2021 Dresden 18 Everything's Fine

Can Dresden get his garden safely bedded down for the winter or will he get distracted by having to fight a traffic ticket?

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 15, 2020

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Proteus Jones posted:

It was a Christmas short story on his website. It takes place after Peace Talks.

Oh, yeah, I re-read that. No BOOB-lust. No weird Chudy stuff. Just a sweet Christmas story. I rather liked it. I have to admit that I'd love to read a few short stories with Mab encountering stuff like Frozen in the modern world. And it's not like Peace Talks was going to be a non-violent slog about the minutiae of supernatural diplomacy. It's a Dresden Files book. Plenty of folks are going to get hurt, killed or otherwise blowed the gently caress up.

Deptfordx posted:

Coming in 2021 Dresden 18 Everything's Fine

[i]Can Dresden get his garden safely bedded down for the winter or will he get distracted by having to fight a traffic ticket? [/1]

Naw, you have to do the naming convention, two words with the same number of letters in them. Dresden 18: Traffic Hazards

Dresden has to bed down his garden by battling rogue plant elementals and fight the ticket in some Nevernever court in multiple duels to the death to prevent all cars from being possessed by demons and eating their owners or maybe re-enacting that one scene from Furious 8 where they start driving themselves or something.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 15, 2020

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

Everyone posted:

Oh, yeah, I re-read that. No BOOB-lust. No weird Chudy stuff. Just a sweet Christmas story. I rather liked it. I have to admit that I'd love to read a few short stories with Mab encountering stuff like Frozen in the modern world. And it's not like Peace Talks was going to be a non-violent slog about the minutiae of supernatural diplomacy. It's a Dresden Files book. Plenty of folks are going to get hurt, killed or otherwise blowed the gently caress up.

Naw, you have to do the naming convention, two words with the same number of letters in them. Dresden 18: Traffic Hazards

Dresden has to bed down his garden by battling rogue plant elementals and fight the ticket in some Nevernever court in multiple duels to the death to prevent all cars from being possessed by demons and eating their owners or maybe re-enacting that one scene from Furious 8 where they start driving themselves or something.

I was today years old when I found out that The Dresden Files had a naming convention. Still prefer the Hollows books all being Eastwood film references.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I can't say I remember what the hell was going on when this left off. There was Santa and a magical island? Did they ever say who Cowl is? It's his old Master (DuMorne?), right?

I remember being pretty disappointed that the "end boss" of the series is some kind of mindless world eater from outside reality, as this is basically the same bad guy as his Roman Pokemon series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thumper57 posted:

I can't say I remember what the hell was going on when this left off. There was Santa and a magical island? Did they ever say who Cowl is? It's his old Master (DuMorne?), right?

I remember being pretty disappointed that the "end boss" of the series is some kind of mindless world eater from outside reality, as this is basically the same bad guy as his Roman Pokemon series.

Cowl is not Dumorne. IIRC the Word of God is that DuMorne is For Real Dead but god knows. Cowl's responses to Dresden made zero sense for DuMorne. They almost certainly have to be someone recognizable to justify the whole Cowl thing but Cowl's first meeting with Dresden suggested no familiarity.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Cowl and Kumori will throw back their hoods to reveal that they are... African American.

Bringing the total black population of Dresdenverse Chicago to 4 people.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

gerg_861 posted:

Still prefer the Hollows books all being Eastwood film references.

If those are the series I think they are, I passed on them because the covers made them look like a sexfest. Is this inaccurate?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I lost power a couple months ago and read Changes for the night to have something to do and while I have a lot of other opinions about the book and the effect it had on the long term storylines, overall I really liked the world and the setting more in that period. The internal politics of the white council were interesting and paralytic helplessness made them feel like villains without being actually evil, the murky and spooky threat of the black council was interesting, and the grey council was interesting. Cold days had a lot of cool stuff but it took a little bit of the wind out of the sails of the black council concept.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

gerg_861 posted:

I was today years old when I found out that The Dresden Files had a naming convention. Still prefer the Hollows books all being Eastwood film references.

I found out about six or seven years back despite having read the series since picking up the first three books back in October of 2001. This was prior to Skin Game having an officially released title, so there some speculation as to what the title would be on the Jim Butcher message boards. Bag Man was the favorite, but my suggestion was Flipped Coin. That was "right out" due to not following the naming convention.

I was like "What really?" then I looked at the various titles and... there it was. I'd read all the way to Ghost Story by that point and never even noticed it. So, I amended my guess to Coin Flip. I figured it would involve Nicodemus and friends because that's how every fifth novel played out to that point. I expect the pattern to hold through book 20 as well. Figure the only reasonable prelude to the Big Trilogy would be dealing with that fucker once and for all.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Gnoman posted:

If those are the series I think they are, I passed on them because the covers made them look like a sexfest. Is this inaccurate?

its more of a romance/will-she-wont-she fest. they're not the worst books I've ever read, but I tried to think of some redeeming features and I couldnt really think of any.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Cowl is not Dumorne. IIRC the Word of God is that DuMorne is For Real Dead but god knows. Cowl's responses to Dresden made zero sense for DuMorne. They almost certainly have to be someone recognizable to justify the whole Cowl thing but Cowl's first meeting with Dresden suggested no familiarity.

I still think Cowl and Kumori are the two wardens whose names I can’t remember who die conveniently off-camera. Literally no reason for those two to exist. They are named and they die but do nothing else.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

navyjack posted:

I still think Cowl and Kumori are the two wardens whose names I can’t remember who die conveniently off-camera. Literally no reason for those two to exist. They are named and they die but do nothing else.

In a shocking twist, they turn out to be Arthur and Guinevere, seeking revenge on the original Merlin.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Cowl and Kumori will throw back their hoods to reveal that they are... African American.

Bringing the total black population of Dresdenverse Chicago to 4 people.

Sanya and...? I'm drawing a complete blank and I just finished a reread. Rashid?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Xtanstic posted:

Sanya and...? I'm drawing a complete blank and I just finished a reread. Rashid?

Sanya lives in Russia.

It's Jason Lamar*, the EMT from Dead Beat, and Rawlins, Murphy's 3rd partner. That is, as far as I can tell and i just double checked the wiki, the entire named black population of Dresden Chicago.

*There is another EMT named Reg Lamar in the Butters short story, because Butcher probably forgot that guy's first name.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rashid is middle eastern

Sanya lives in Russia.

It's Jason Lamar*, the EMT from Dead Beat, and Rawlins, Murphy's 3rd partner. That is, as far as I can tell and i just double checked the wiki, the entire named black population of Dresden Chicago.

*There is another EMT named Reg Lamar in the Butters short story, because Butcher probably forgot that guy's first name.

Sanya is black. It's a big part of why he became a denarian in the first place - the isolation of being one of the very few in Russia and how he was treated by people.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just going to ignore the whole "of all the Knights of the Cross we talk to, of course the only one that took up a coin is the black knight" bit.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Just going to ignore the whole "of all the Knights of the Cross we talk to, of course the only one that took up a coin is the black knight" bit.

To be fair, he's less a knight who took up a coin and more a Denarian who put down a coin and took up a sword of the cross. There's no problem with his character. The problem is that he stands out as much in Butcher's Chicago as he did in small town Russia.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Masonity posted:

To be fair, he's less a knight who took up a coin and more a Denarian who put down a coin and took up a sword of the cross. There's no problem with his character. The problem is that he stands out as much in Butcher's Chicago as he did in small town Russia.

It's also worthy to note that aside from the tremendous spiritual strength that implies, Sanya, the black guy, is also the only one of the "original" (the ones introduced in the series) Knights of the Cross/Sword to be still alive and active - which nicely inverts the whole "black guy dies first" trope.

I do agree that Butcher could do with being a bit more inclusive, just even noting that black people exist in the background if nothing else. Presumably it's because we go where Dresden goes and maybe there's just not a lot of supernatural bullshit on the South Side, perhaps because it's already locked down under the merciless rule of the Candyman.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 16, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm in the same boat for not remembering much. Did Harry start bonking his apprentice?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's gonna be really funny when Cowl is revealed as the Zombie Justin we all know him to be and a bunch of people sputter "But...the WORD OF JIM!!!" and also when the Denarians next show up in Book 19.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I am curious if the Peace Talks split into two books is going to throw off the numbering scheme....and I wonder if Mirror, Mirror is still slated up next or if that changed too

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm in the same boat for not remembering much. Did Harry start bonking his apprentice?

No, he very pointedly refuses to do so, although he dedicates plenty of internal (and external) monologue to pointing out how hot and tempting she is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hmm...did he bonk somebody? I vaguely remember a romantic interest in the last book or two. A reporter?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Hmm...did he bonk somebody? I vaguely remember a romantic interest in the last book or two. A reporter?

If memory serves, he and Murphy finally got together at the end of Skin Game (and he had a nightmare centered around that earlier in the book).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Waltzing Along posted:

The reporter was the one he had a child with.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Sanya lives in Russia.

Ah of course.

the_steve posted:

No, he very pointedly refuses to do so, although he dedicates plenty of internal (and external) monologue to pointing out how hot and tempting she is.

I swear Butcher is gonna write some awful plot where Harry and Molly finally get together and we're gonna have ten pages of gnashing over how stupid and awful it is. My money is either on Murphy dies and Molly fills the void/was the right one all along or something along the lines of Harry and Molly get together because ~*wInTeR FaE tHinGs*~. Alternatively they finally get together to "escape" the Winter mantles because I dunno the power of love or something.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Xtanstic posted:

I swear Butcher is gonna write some awful plot where Harry and Molly finally get together and we're gonna have ten pages of gnashing over how stupid and awful it is. My money is either on Murphy dies and Molly fills the void/was the right one all along or something along the lines of Harry and Molly get together because ~*wInTeR FaE tHinGs*~. Alternatively they finally get together to "escape" the Winter mantles because I dunno the power of love or something.

Personally, I doubt that.
I mean, I can definitely see Murphy dropping him because he can't stop being a chauvinist and trying to treat women like porcelain dolls despite just about every female character being more powerful than him, but I don't think he's ever going to end up with Molly.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Molly currently can't boink anyway, her winter lady mantle won't let her.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The extended wizard lifespan is gonna get in the way of Harry/Murphy too - though maybe i'll be surprised and the payoff will be the two coming to terms with the fact that Murphy will grow old and die while Harry is still functionally in his 30s/40s and make the most of their time together

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

jivjov posted:

The extended wizard lifespan is gonna get in the way of Harry/Murphy too - though maybe i'll be surprised and the payoff will be the two coming to terms with the fact that Murphy will grow old and die while Harry is still functionally in his 30s/40s and make the most of their time together

Well, to be fair, it's not like either of those two really fits the "dies comfortably in bed of old age" method of cashing in one's chips.

I guess I also need to re-read Skin Game because I do not recall Dresden and Murphy actually "getting it on." I think they started to and then yet another thing interrupted them. Again. Murphy and Dresden aren't really "Will they or won't they?" so much as "Will the universe finally give these two people a spare moment to gently caress already or won't it?"

My own prediction for the DF endgame is that (Spoilers because who the gently caress knows, I might get it right?) Harry dies doing the right thing but then gets resurrected for... reasons/reward/etc. "Unfortunately" what "killed" him did enough damage that he loses he magic and "wizard constitution" so he now has to be a normal guy who can finally date/marry Murphy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Apparently giving up his magic was a viable way to get rid of the shadow of Lasciel in his head, so it might be something he has to elect to do at the end of the "Big Apocalyptic Trilogy"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

docbeard posted:

It's gonna be really funny when Cowl is revealed as the Zombie Justin we all know him to be and a bunch of people sputter "But...the WORD OF JIM!!!" and also when the Denarians next show up in Book 19.

I mean that is possible but if it is the case the writing would be pretty much entirely incoherent because Cowl seems like he would have an extremely different response to Dresden in that case.

It's entirely possible the writing is entirely incoherent but at bare minimum it just seems like you'd at least get a handwave at something.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

jivjov posted:

Naw, Murphy is going to get killed and come back as a Valkyrie and be essentially immortal, and leave Dresden behind because now he is the fragile mortal one by comparison.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
The best Cowl theory is that he’s the not really dead Russian senior council member who McCoy was friends with and whose seat he took. He and his expert Red Court assassins were supposedly killed early by internal treachery. Powerful, (barely) mentioned before, good candidate to kill McCoy, would know who Dresden is by reputation.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Chapter 3 of Peace Talks is now up at Jimbutcher.com and goddammit, July 14 cannot get here fast enough.

No real spoilers, but there's a bit where it seems like Ebenezer McCoy has somehow been reading this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Love that we finally got Maggie and Bonnie interacting. :allears:

I do kind of wish the series had more time to slow down and just show stuff like Harry being a dad a bit more.