Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Morag/Brighid are bizarrely restrained in a game where the main love interest is literally both a tsundere and a "yamato nedeshiko" (I think this would describe Pyra's general personality) archetype at the same time; it's like they couldn't figure out which stereotype to go with so they just made the love interest into two separate people who each fit one of them. When I first played the game I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop with Morag (like there being some scene where they make her wear a dress or something) and was pleasantly surprised when it never happened.

In general I like Morag and Zeke because they pretty realistically act like adults (even if one is a goofy adult) in this party where everyone else is a child (I don't know Nia's exact age, but she acts like she's around Rex's age).

I like Morag and Brighid, but I feel they were ultimately kind of underused. Not every character needs to have a full arc, and it's usually better that not every character does, but they still need to feel like they gel with the group. Brighid makes out a bit better in that regard due to being close to Pyra and Mythra, but Morag always feels a bit too separate. Zeke and Gramps end up feeling like more mentors than she is, Jin and Malos more rivals, Tora and Nia more sidekicks, and Morag is just kinda there and not really close to anyone besides Brighid who's putting in more of the work, and she doesn't really have any memorable scenes beyond the one everyone knows with the fish and one near the end game. It feels like ultimately they couldn't decide what they wanted her to be. She's level headed and competent but not much beyond that.

It's also unfortunate that she ends up being very mechanically redundant and the AI doesn't handle her well at all.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a similar question. I'm 65 and just took the transport up to whatever the bad robot town is called. I am still at 3.5 of colony 6 and haven't seen anything drop upgrade stuff in a while. Is this post game content or something?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

[quote="Aerox" post=""505727265"]
Edit: Am I supposed to go to Bionis Interior first before I do any of these? The option to go made it sound like it was going to close stuff off so I haven't done that yet.
[/quote]

Bionis interior is where you should go. Boss is level 75 and it closes off nothing. The actual point of no return will be a teleporter in a dungeon and Dunban will literally stop you and say "are you ready to go, were not coming back"

You can do all those quests before the final boss, nothing opens up afterwards afaik.

Waltzing Along posted:

I have a similar question. I'm 65 and just took the transport up to whatever the bad robot town is called. I am still at 3.5 of colony 6 and haven't seen anything drop upgrade stuff in a while. Is this post game content or something?

You cannot finish the colony without stuff from the final dungeon, so it very nearly is. Id use a guide to look up where the stuff you need is located.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On the final chapter of Xenoblade X now but obviously still have a million side quests to do too.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Not gonna lie, the Dickson is Zanza's DiSCiPlE twist felt super forced and half-assed despite there being foreshadow that he was hiding something. Like it feels the game throws that twist because it hasn't thrown any twists your way in the last 20 minutes. Hopefully they'll elaborate a bit more on it in the future, cause right now I'm not feeling it :downsrim:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Man Jin and Lora's relationship in the XC2: Torna DLC is so much better than Rex and Pyra's from the main game.

It probably helps that they"re adults.

I think Torna might have my favorite batch of characters in the entire Xenoblade saga. Even though we don't spent a lot of time with them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Xenoblade 1 is a good game but I think it got the praise it got for being many people’s first JRPG. Or at least the first since the one they half remember playing in the mid 90s

What? It came out in 2010 not like 1998 and if you find the original thread we all loved it there too even though it was WAY more punishing. Most posters here now are in their mid (or late) 30s after all. This isn't secret of mana or final fantasy 7 or whatever.
It's the first big open world thing that kinda works like a MMOG but single player with a story and it feels so different to anything I've played before or since other than the other games in the series.

Aerox posted:

Did I somehow end up massively underleveled for this portion of the game?

Yes. By the time I was doing the Bionis interior this time I was level 83. I did grind though and honestly the game expects you to have done all the quests AND do some grinding. Make sure you've spoken to every green dot a few times in every town both morning and night.
And then you can go to windy cave and grind caterpiles. They're level 75, you level off them really fast and they're not particularly hard. When you're level 71 you can go to the Bionis Leg near the hill that starts with V and kill Sloth Gogols, they're much easier and are level 76.

I got to level 82 from doing that in an hour and you're high enough level to win the game and do MOST quests. There's still some that require 90s, but you can do nearly everything.

I found myself in the same spot as you when I first played on the Wii because it was so hard to do the quests and I hated it but you'll really need to grind to get to 80 at least.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
feeling absolutely no shame in going to the areas of Tephra Cave with lv90+ monsters and turning on casual mode for some easy levelling after turning up to that Bionis Interior boss at lv72 and getting stomped repeatedly v:shobon:v

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Casual mode removed the level difference penalties so you can easily trounce enemies significantly higher than you. Or you know if you dont want to fight superbosses at night

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ytlaya posted:

In general I like Morag and Zeke because they pretty realistically act like adults (even if one is a goofy adult) in this party where everyone else is a child (I don't know Nia's exact age, but she acts like she's around Rex's age).

FWIW, as far as poo poo Nerds Get Mad Abput, you spoilered the wrong character name here.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

CaptainPsyko posted:

FWIW, as far as poo poo Nerds Get Mad Abput, you spoilered the wrong character name here.

Why is spoilers on those two even a thing? I could understand not seeing Morag join (even though I really should have at the time) but if the instant you seek Zeke you don't think "future party member, recurring miniboss, or both" I don't know what to tell you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Omobono posted:

Why is spoilers on those two even a thing? I could understand not seeing Morag join (even though I really should have at the time) but if the instant you seek Zeke you don't think "future party member, recurring miniboss, or both" I don't know what to tell you.

He was on the splash screen of party members on the storefront page. Its people trying to recapture the magic of "seven", nothing more

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Omobono posted:

Yeah, Zeke was on the promo material so nobody cares. But nerds got mad about Morag and called her “four” a lot because she’s presented as an antagonist early on.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Forgot how good the Mechonis Field music was

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Sudden Javelin posted:

One of my favorite tracks in the game

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ytlaya posted:

Tiger Tiger is a bunch of dumb bullshit. Why don't they just break open the machine and take the parts that it's dispensing!

Morag/Brighid are bizarrely restrained in a game where the main love interest is literally both a tsundere and a "yamato nedeshiko" (I think this would describe Pyra's general personality) archetype at the same time; it's like they couldn't figure out which stereotype to go with so they just made the love interest into two separate people who each fit one of them. When I first played the game I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop with Morag (like there being some scene where they make her wear a dress or something) and was pleasantly surprised when it never happened.

I actually love Tiger! Tiger!, and I don't know why.

Also, I would venture to say that Mythra and Pyra encompass and overall "tsun" and "dere," respectively. Maybe at best Mythra is an overall tsundere, and Pyra is just "deredere," in that she's very doting, positive, and energetic, with all of the "negative" attributes going straight to Mythra. I feel that the closest character to a yamato nadeshiko would be Haze.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sudden Javelin posted:

It's 100% the best music in the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Takoluka posted:

I actually love Tiger! Tiger!, and I don't know why.

It reminds me of games on the original Intellivision, that was my first console.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

While Mythra and Pyra conform to far too many anime clichés, the real key to understanding them is "Electra complex" and "Oedipus complex"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s Xenoblade everything is a cliche

It’s not a series interested in breaking new ground

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xenoblade 2 broke new ground in tedium with the music ice blades unlock progression.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'd say Welsh cargirl was a pretty fresh take.

I think XB1 is like Tales of Vesperia, where the presentation is very nice and it feels like a fresh take on the genre. Years after the original release though, the cracks are more apparent and the nostalgia starts to wane. I think the game is still good, but its unique aspects (like how it dealt with side quests and quick travel) have been done by other games, so XB's unique traits feel more like they're the norm.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Other than it being anime tropey and getting worse from XC1 to XCX and XC2 with that the actual setting and way the games play are really different from anything else on the market I'd say.

And people speaking english rather than American is loving amazing for my immersion. It's so nice, for once, for people to not be american. People in a game speaking like me! Holy poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Taear posted:

Other than it being anime tropey and getting worse from XC1 to XCX and XC2 with that the actual setting and way the games play are really different from anything else on the market I'd say.

And people speaking english rather than American is loving amazing for my immersion. It's so nice, for once, for people to not be american. People in a game speaking like me! Holy poo poo.

The weird american south/texan voice on XB2's common blades was my favorite touch

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You being english explains everything, tbh

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So, all the posting about how you shouldn't do all the quests was wrong because you have to do them all plus grind in order to finish the game?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

So, all the posting about how you shouldn't do all the quests was wrong because you have to do them all plus grind in order to finish the game?

You definitely don't have to, no. If you've barely done any you might have to do a little bit of leveling, but that's what the high level areas of each region are for. Just go revisit Colony 9 & Bionis Leg and you're good.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Taear posted:

Yes. By the time I was doing the Bionis interior this time I was level 83. I did grind though and honestly the game expects you to have done all the quests AND do some grinding. Make sure you've spoken to every green dot a few times in every town both morning and night.
And then you can go to windy cave and grind caterpiles. They're level 75, you level off them really fast and they're not particularly hard. When you're level 71 you can go to the Bionis Leg near the hill that starts with V and kill Sloth Gogols, they're much easier and are level 76.

I got to level 82 from doing that in an hour and you're high enough level to win the game and do MOST quests. There's still some that require 90s, but you can do nearly everything.

I found myself in the same spot as you when I first played on the Wii because it was so hard to do the quests and I hated it but you'll really need to grind to get to 80 at least.

Thanks, this is very helpful.

I'm a little surprised I'm so behind since according to the checklist I did almost every optional quest up to this point except a handful in Frontier Village and a couple of the 5* required ones in Colony 6, but I also started jacking up my levels to move through some of the end parts of Sword Valley and Central Factory so maybe I missed out on a bunch of exp from fighting things there.

Edit: I love this end-game quest in Colony 6 where you have to collect "Friendship Tokens" for some kid, and Reyn goes "OH YEAH ME AND SHULK DID THIS WHEN WE WERE BABIES!!" except the monsters that have the materials are all like Level 92.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 16, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay, I did it everyone. I have now completed all three Xenoblade games. :toot: I killed the PlayStation Vita (its literally the final boss, it's called Vita).

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
You get experience very fast if you're fighting appropriately-leveled monsters (and the base XP is higher the higher level you are so don't bother with Expert Mode for this). There's a gap before the last dungeon where it expects you to do at least some optional content and between going back to high-level parts of old areas and popping unique monsters, late-game quests, and gem crafting, you have plenty of options beyond old-fashioned grinding.

Or just get good, since by this point you have more than enough tools to break the combat system wide open and +5 monsters are trivial to a well-optimized lategame party.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Barudak posted:

Casual mode removed the level difference penalties so you can easily trounce enemies significantly higher than you. Or you know if you dont want to fight superbosses at night

OK this poo poo is game-changing and might make me actually attempt the superbosses. Having to gem up Night Vision and specifically challenge them at night to have even a chance of hitting them was so dumb.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Sudden Javelin posted:

For my issues with the Mechonis' actual areas and specifically it just being ridiculously tiny compared to the Bionis Mechonis field is easily the best field theme in the series. It's godly good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Polderjoch posted:

For my issues with the Mechonis' actual areas and specifically it just being ridiculously tiny compared to the Bionis Mechonis field is easily the best field theme in the series. It's godly good.

I also like Xenoblade 2's "spiritual successor" to that track (the one they play in the Old Factory and I think also that one area with the cliffs).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Just gonna say that I've maintained it's best to do all the quests the whole time.

Polderjoch posted:

The Mechonis is quite disappointing yea. I think it would be kinda overwhelming if it was as big as the other areas in the game but I feel the Mechonis doesn't give the idea that (if you've not been to the fallen arm don't read past this) people actually live there other than the city itself. Bionis feels like a world, Mechonis is more like a dungeon, I guess.

Tae posted:

You being english explains everything, tbh

What is "everything"?!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a quality of life feature added to quickly grind up affinity?

I noticed on some guides that the time trial stuff ends up having items for colony 6. Just wondering if it has items that give huge chunks of affinity too?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kin posted:

Is there a quality of life feature added to quickly grind up affinity?

I noticed on some guides that the time trial stuff ends up having items for colony 6. Just wondering if it has items that give huge chunks of affinity too?

It doesn't. Colony 6 allows you to buy an item called Love Source from a High Entia. It takes a while before this is possible but that gives 100 affinity. Her name is Jer'ell.

Taear fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 16, 2020

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Taear posted:

The Mechonis is quite disappointing yea. I think it would be kinda overwhelming if it was as big as the other areas in the game but I feel the Mechonis doesn't give the idea that (if you've not been to the fallen arm don't read past this) people actually live there other than the city itself. Bionis feels like a world, Mechonis is more like a dungeon, I guess.

To be fair, the Mechonis being devoid of settlements and Machina life is the point, but I agree it doesn't feel good. One thing that I think really doesn't help is how the Mechonis in general is hyped up throughout the entire game, and then when you get there it's super disappointing. Sword Valley is literally the first area in the game but when you get back it ends up being a fairly small straight line, with the main way into Galahad Fortress not even being visible since Gates 1 and 2 are never visited. Galahad Fortress too is built up since the Ether Mines, but when you get there it ends up being 5 incredibly small floors, of which 2 are boss arenas and 1 is a literal corridor. The Fallen Arm, despite the name, is really just the Fallen Hand since you land on the wrist and only ever explore the hand, despite the rest of the arm being visible and stretching for far beyond where you land, and then the Mechonis itself just goes by way too fast.

If Galahad Fortress was larger, the Fallen Arm was actually the Fallen Arm instead of just the hand, and Mechonis had like, maybe one more area in between Mechonis Field and Central Factory basically all my problems with it would be alleviated. It just goes by way too fast, with areas that are way too small, for how much the Mechonis gets built up throughout the first half of the game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Taear posted:

See I feel this illustrates my point XB1 is a pretty standard JRPG

The only thing it does differently is uses MMO combat which is still pretty rare and the Britishness.

Hell XB2 and 1 have functionally the same plot and even a similar love triangle

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So someone mentioned they couldn't think of anything Xenoblade 2 does better than 1. Here are some things I think it does better.

Side Quests: There are less side quests in 2 but they're more involved and interesting, have more steps, and some side quest stories last through multiple quests (especially thinking of the one in Mor Adain). The best though are the blade quests which are fully voiced and animated, and are just a lot of fun. Each rare blade has their own unique personality and the blade quests are like a mini character arc for these blades.

Worldbuilding: I think the world of Alrest is more interesting as a whole. There are a bunch of nations with their own unique identity, history, and culture, and nations have impacts on other nations through direct conflicts and indirect effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Worldbuilding: I think the world of Alrest is more interesting as a whole. There are a bunch of nations with their own unique identity, history, and culture, and nations have impacts on other nations through direct conflicts and indirect effects.

I think this is more because the system is better equipped to handle it. Xenoblade 1 does as well as it can with the restrictions of the Wii. That goes for the sidequests too - there's only one that works like the ones in 2 and I feel like in an ideal world they'd have wanted them all like that.