Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LingcodKilla posted:

Got the swab done today. Other unpleasant news is no shore leave expected during this set of orders. gently caress. Should be on the ship by the end of the week.

But then told that mobilization are on track and expect to go home per orders so November.

I'm supposed to get my follow up swab this weekend. So far, my mob orders have only been extended two weeks to cover the mando ROM period.

Here's hoping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Here's a Navy-related video from one of my favorite content creators, SmarterEveryDay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d6SEQQbwtU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Speaking of submarines...

https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/1272783718155980802

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Holy moly.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Woah.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Holey (chro)moly.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

joat mon posted:

Holey (chro)moly.

:gary:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

"the governance did not disclose which subs were affected."

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
" $10.9 million fine as part of a deferred prosecution agreement for endangering countless sailors over a decade. "

Laff.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

:stare:

If I was lord god of the US military and all DoD funding, the first thing I would do is force a restructuring/renegotiation of all military contracts to include massive penalties for late, incomplete, or shoddy work. If defense contractors want to suckle at the teat of the government, they need to be willing to put their nuts in a vice.

Ok, the first thing I would do is increase medical funding for psych evaluations and disability, but yeah.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Sub sub contractor.

Edit: I remember once watching 15 people watch a weight test on a removable post and I guess this makes it clear why. We should be looking at any process with one person 'in the room'.

Edit2: like, why does Bradken test Bradken's steel--does someone else not?

piL fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 16, 2020

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

How fortunate that one lady alone signed off on all the non-existent sub steel tests for decades and can be scapegoated. I'm sure the corporation will continue to serve as a proud government contractor and their revenue will be unaffected now that they have secured an agreement to have the charges dismissed after X years. Boeing tried to scapegoat Mark Forkner for all the MCAS problems, but too many emails became public for that to work.

I really want that law firm to work on my will. Who are Bradken's lawyers? They got skills I haven't seen since that lawyer from the Wire, that's who you want.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 16, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
gently caress the yards and everyone who works there

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

piL posted:

You really don't want to know how aviation works.

Edit: "works"

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
HY-80(ish)

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Pryor on Fire posted:

How fortunate that one lady alone signed off on all the non-existent sub steel tests for decades and can be scapegoated. I'm sure the corporation will continue to serve as a proud government contractor and their revenue will be unaffected now that they have secured an agreement to have the charges dismissed after X years. Boeing tried to scapegoat Mark Forkner for all the MCAS problems, but too many emails became public for that to work.

I really want that law firm to work on my will. Who are Bradken's lawyers? They got skills I haven't seen since that lawyer from the Wire, that's who you want.

Yeah, pleading "oh well our QA process was so shoddy that a single person was able to co-opt it for decades" really shouldn't excuse anything on the company's part.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
How difficult would it be to replace them as a supplier? That might have something to do with it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JournoGeoffZ/status/1273061540459999234?s=20

https://twitter.com/JournoGeoffZ/status/1273062221413662720?s=20

https://twitter.com/JournoGeoffZ/status/1273062758087397376?s=20

:chiefsay: God drat it

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
JFC

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gunner’s Mate 2nd Class Jihad H. Littlejohn

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

piL posted:

Sub sub contractor.

Edit: I remember once watching 15 people watch a weight test on a removable post and I guess this makes it clear why. We should be looking at any process with one person 'in the room'.

You dont really need to look much further than Boeing for your answers.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Bahrain has a rather extensive list of places off-limits due to prostitution. I expect it to grow very soon.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Does anybody know what the official source of getting an NSTM is? Should I be pulling it down from Navy Logistics Library when NLL is back online and until then there's nothing official?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

piL posted:

Does anybody know what the official source of getting an NSTM is? Should I be pulling it down from Navy Logistics Library when NLL is back online and until then there's nothing official?

Official source is through TDMIS. https://www.nstcenter.biz/tech-documents/technical-manuals-nstms/

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

I was afraid of that. I hate TDMIS, and have a hard time believing it's actually somebody's design that every 1160/DCFN should have an account. Thanks.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Speaking of submarines...

quote:

...falsified results dating back to 1990...

My boat's keel was laid in 1992.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I made to my ship! Hello 4 months of uh... quasi ship life. Finally. Dumb orders started in December.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I made to my ship! Hello 4 months of uh... quasi ship life. Finally. Dumb orders started in December.

Enjoy when y'all have steel beach picnics

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Enjoy when y'all have steel beach picnics

Apparently we have to check in our liquor to the liquor cabinet when we come on board.

No poo poo, one sailor checked in his wine. Go USNS!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MonkeyFit posted:

My boat's keel was laid in 1992.

Enjoy your boat made with HY-69

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

ded posted:

Luckily, I've been out for 2.5 years, and the boat is now in shipyard anyways. But holy poo poo. Like, we already had almost zero confidence in our command and felt like we were rolling the dice whenever we went out. But to find this out afterwards. Just, holy poo poo.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Thankfully test depth didn't turn into crush depth for anyone yet. I bet they are going to put in some depth restrictions due to this anyways tho. What a loving nightmare for the whole sub fleet.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

On the one hand, this is horrible and I'll have to read the articles.

On the other: gently caress YOU GEOFF. IT WAS THE DAY BEFORE THE loving FITZ COLLISION ANNIVERSARY AND YOU FELT THE GOD drat NEED TO INCLUDE THE COLLISIONS IN YOUR loving TWEET? YOU loving SHITHEAD

I'll see myself out.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

ded posted:

Former CG here, but ours was constructed in 1965! They are still around.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Meshka posted:

Former CG here, but ours was constructed in 1965! They are still around.

But how often were they being compressed by more than 2 atmospheres of sea pressure?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MonkeyFit posted:

But how often were they being compressed by more than 2 atmospheres of sea pressure?

Thats only like 34 feet or so.

:viggo:

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

ded posted:

Thats only like 34 feet or so.

:viggo:

What is that in millipedes?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MonkeyFit posted:

http://www.calctool.org/CALC/other/games/depth_press

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MonkeyFit posted:

3.4x10^-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BDHerzinger/status/1273625909371662337?s=20

This thread reminded me that when demobbing from Afghanistan and talking to the guys who were in Kurdistan that they didn't even carry while they were on base