Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Some of your issues could be fixed by not following the law so much, unless your area is rife with farm country cops pulling over cyclists.

Til you get absolutely waffled by someone who’s not expecting you there or ram into a pedestrian. It’s more common than you think! I go to at least one bike accident a month and 90 percent of them are from one of those two things happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

countries other than the netherlands do cycling wrong

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Some of your issues could be fixed by not following the law so much, unless your area is rife with farm country cops pulling over cyclists.

That is specifically why all the speed limits and stop signs bother me so much. Nobody obeys or enforces them 99% of the time yet we get them anyway to appease the yokels who show up at public meetings. The Dutch policy of "cyclists have the right of way unless there's a compelling interest otherwise" is absolutely the preferred approach here.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

going to another country when you're dutch the cycling habits are the #1 thing that tends to annoy me, like it's all so backwards and stupid and usually cycling is extremely gentrified with only tryhard "pro" people with an expensive bike using it a serious mode of transportation

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

when you have any kind of message inbox or email, and clicking on a message doesn't immediately mark as read so you keep having a number next to the inbox even though you clicked on it

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Shibawanko posted:

when you have any kind of message inbox or email, and clicking on a message doesn't immediately mark as read so you keep having a number next to the inbox even though you clicked on it

That's why the first setting I ever change in a new install of Outlook is that an email is marked as read just from me highlighting it in the email list and the preview showing up in the reading pane for just 1 second.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I will never want to sync anything to the cloud! I shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops to keep my poo poo off the cloud!!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

I will never want to sync anything to the cloud! I shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops to keep my poo poo off the cloud!!

Are you sure we can't interest you in <0.1 cents worth of bandwidth and cloud storage for 1-5usd/mo?
Maybe your podcast program needs 10GB of cloud storage at 20x the price of the equivalent amount of space if you got it from dropbox?

Oh you're not? And you don't want to be bothered about this again? Don't worry, we'll make sure to add different offers to shove in your face the next time your app is forcibly updated.
Oh and also: that app you bought, which was -explicitly buy to own forever- when you bought it is now subscription only. But don't worry, we'll give you like a year or two for free.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i thought this sleep tracker ring sounded real cool until i read the fine print about data storage and even though the sync between the ring and the phone app is totally local, after a few days the app puts your data in the cloud, and there's no opting out on that part, unless I guess I just never let my phone connect to the internet again. why is it so hard just to own the data my devices create!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People who can't admit when they've made a mistake.

I had an appointment today and when I got there the office was shut with a sign saying all appointments are currently by phone. I'd specifically reread the email to make sure it was supposed to be in-person at their office. So I phoned them and they told me first that the message had said it was by phone and, when I got them to reread it, they said it was a "system glitch". Just say you made a loving mistake! Why are you giving me this bullshit instead of just apologising?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tiggum posted:

I had an appointment today and when I got there the office was shut with a sign saying all appointments are currently by phone. I'd specifically reread the email to make sure it was supposed to be in-person at their office. So I phoned them and they told me first that the message had said it was by phone and, when I got them to reread it, they said it was a "system glitch". Just say you made a loving mistake! Why are you giving me this bullshit instead of just apologising?

Computers, amirite? :rolleyes:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Similarly when people say 'oh i didn't get your text message/email/DM, it must not have sent properly'. That doesn't just happen yknow. If that happens it will tell me and I'll be notified it didn't send right. There is no mysterious internet ghost that goes around eating people's DMs and text messages so that it tells me it sent properly but you don't receive it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

the opposite is worse though, when people wont just accept that youve made a mistake and keep whining about it. i have ADD so i forget poo poo all the time especially if it's little innocuous details, just accept that i'm like this and leave me alone

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

SubNat posted:

Are you sure we can't interest you in <0.1 cents worth of bandwidth and cloud storage for 1-5usd/mo?
Maybe your podcast program needs 10GB of cloud storage at 20x the price of the equivalent amount of space if you got it from dropbox?

Oh you're not? And you don't want to be bothered about this again? Don't worry, we'll make sure to add different offers to shove in your face the next time your app is forcibly updated.
Oh and also: that app you bought, which was -explicitly buy to own forever- when you bought it is now subscription only. But don't worry, we'll give you like a year or two for free.

Also, the app you got a subscription for is now owned by Apple so gently caress you Android users.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

Similarly when people say 'oh i didn't get your text message/email/DM, it must not have sent properly'. That doesn't just happen yknow. If that happens it will tell me and I'll be notified it didn't send right. There is no mysterious internet ghost that goes around eating people's DMs and text messages so that it tells me it sent properly but you don't receive it.

I’ve been hosed over by AT&T before, either not sending messages or re-sending messages months after the fact.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

docbeard posted:

Also, the app you got a subscription for is now owned by Apple so gently caress you Android users.

Oh that's a good one.
Which app did that happen to?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I just started some new medicines for anxiety and mood disorder and right now literally everything I read and watch is making me burst into tears.

e: I guess this technically isn't really a peeve, but whatever.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

CJacobs posted:

Yeah this is super irritating, especially when in a work context. It's usually bosses or clients who do this 'HEY THAT'S WEIRD I NEVER GOT IT / IT NEVER SENT, OH WELL PLEASE CLEAR UP MY MESS ANYWAY BYE'.

Actually, spin off peeve : I now work in a role where I have to work closely with clients, and they're loving idiotic and lazy a lot of the time. So, so much of my time is spent politely explaining that what they're asking me to do is empirically a terrible idea, and then having to tell them what they actually want me to do.

There's never any humility on their side, and they're always quick to throw me under a bus if they think I hosed up, but if my company and I just did what we were told and followed their instructions even like 75% of the time then they would be so, so hosed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A cop lives on my block. His and his wife's cars both have punisher skulls with Thin Blue Line/Blue Lives Matter decals on them. He also parks his cop car here all the time and it also has that decal.

My pet peeve is that loving decal. What the gently caress are you trying to imply with that? I'd feel a million times safer if they never came back

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
None of those people know that the punisher loving hates cops

edit:

In fact the comic itself addressed the phenomena of dumbass cops loving the skull some years ago.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

None of those people know that the punisher loving hates cops

edit:

In fact the comic itself addressed the phenomena of dumbass cops loving the skull some years ago.

I don't know poo poo about the orignal comics but how on god's good earth is this supposed to express the idea that these fucks are "protecting and serving" our neighbourhood??

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They don't actually know anything about the punisher, they just see a cool skull and a guy who takes matters into his own hands when he perceives that the justice system has failed and roleplay as him.

edit:

For cops who use the Punisher skull, it's basically this but with Frank Castle firing a knife-throwing minigun over their heads.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Jun 21, 2020

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't know poo poo about the orignal comics but how on god's good earth is this supposed to express the idea that these fucks are "protecting and serving" our neighbourhood??

it is a fascist symbol of death, that’s literally all

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Another peeve is also the people who are like "eh, so what if I get rona? I'm young and healthy"

Jesus loving gently caress off christ

I'm 26 and was decently buff and lean and rona loving floored me and all my roomies. I lost almost thirty pounds and it took weeks after I recovered before me or any of my roommates could safely take the loving stairs. Rona can and will loving floor you. And being unable to fill your lungs with air is way, way more terrifying than you think it is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Another peeve is also the people who are like "eh, so what if I get rona? I'm young and healthy"

I'm 26 and was decently buff and lean and rona loving floored me and all my roomies. I lost almost thirty pounds and it took weeks after I recovered before me or any of my roommates could safely take the loving stairs. Rona can and will loving floor you. And being unable to fill your lungs with air is way, way more terrifying than you think it is.

Also even if it just feels like a bad flu, it sucks to get the flu and you should try to avoid doing so.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30 pounds too. It was brutal. The worst part is it’s so random in how bad you’ll get it, so people who think that way may very well know someone who barely got sick. I know two people in their sixties with a ton of health problems that were way less sick than I was.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm just happy people have finally learned that washing their hands is cool and good.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

when harry potter people talk to you in the assumption that you have read/know about the books and movies when you dont

its annoying when youre an english teacher and one of your dumber colleagues starts babbling to you about how theyve made an assignment about how "snape" kills "dumbledore" or whatever and asks your opinion and i have not read that stuff nor do i care about it. just because i studied english doesnt mean i have a boner for shakespeare either by the way

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Worse than that, it shows that actually they have a fundamental disregard, or misunderstanding, of why we should be shielding, distancing and locking down. I couldn't give a gently caress if you, hypothetical selfish 30 year old, catch coronavirus - but I do give a gently caress about the blameless people you might infect as you obliviously go about your business. And then the knock on effect THOSE people getting infected will have on others, and on the health service and... yeah, basic loving pandemic stuff.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

SubNat posted:

Oh that's a good one.
Which app did that happen to?

Dark Sky is the one I was thinking of. I think the app is going away entirely for Android next month, and the API won't be available to Android apps starting sometime next year.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also even if it just feels like a bad flu, it sucks to get the flu and you should try to avoid doing so.

This is basically what I say to the work boomers who seem to be denying the whole thing. I don't want to catch it either way. I'll probably survive it, but my roommate has some real bad asthma, and I don't think she'd fair very well, so I sure as hell don't want to bring it home.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I'm just happy people have finally learned that washing their hands is cool and good.

LMAO, they haven't. There are still people at my work place who do not wash their hands after using the bathroom. poo poo, you know there's someone else in there, you could at least put on a show.

Thankfully the big culprit is retiring next month.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Iron Crowned posted:

LMAO, they haven't. There are still people at my work place who do not wash their hands after using the bathroom. poo poo, you know there's someone else in there, you could at least put on a show.

Thankfully the big culprit is retiring next month.

People not washing their hands, pandemic or not, is one of those things that’s so fundamentally wrong and unpleasant (like chewing with your mouth open, or those loud finger-lickers) that I can’t even think how one would approach bringing it up. I mean, if you worked in a hospital or something and someone didn’t wash you’d have some leverage, but it just feels like the awfulness of the act means that they must know how bad it is and not care, so how could you stop them?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just don't know how people don't wash their hands. I literally don't have to do anything dirty or manual at all, and the water still comes off slightly grey when I wash my hands. Hands are just *gross*.

Edit: Yeah, I had to get up and wash my hands after that. Jeez.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Jun 22, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My grandpa doesn't wash his hands after he pees, and I know this because he pees with the bathroom door open (it's adjacent to my room). I asked him one day just to confirm that he doesn't and I'm not just hearing things and he said "what? I don't touch anything, just unzip the zipper and let it ride". Well that's great dude but you still touch the toilet seat and the flush handle and the doorknob on the way out and

edit: Speaking of which, side peeve- please close the door when you go to the bathroom unless you live alone jesus what were you raised in a barn?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the word "eldritch," or worse, "eldritch abomination". it's such a middlebrow overused word, just like "plethora". i hate people who talk in tvtropes.com phrases

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

the word "eldritch," or worse, "eldritch abomination". it's such a middlebrow overused word, just like "plethora". i hate people who talk in tvtropes.com phrases

I can never think of "eldritch" without thinking of the Discworld book (possibly Guards! Guards!) where everyone decided it actually just meant "oblong".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My mom has already started asking about Christmas. I have to remind her that there is a plague out there, and it may just be too dangerous for me to drive 6 hours across 4 states.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Shibawanko posted:

when harry potter people talk to you in the assumption that you have read/know about the books and movies when you dont

its annoying when youre an english teacher and one of your dumber colleagues starts babbling to you about how theyve made an assignment about how "snape" kills "dumbledore" or whatever and asks your opinion and i have not read that stuff nor do i care about it. just because i studied english doesnt mean i have a boner for shakespeare either by the way
People do that with any sufficiently big media franchise. TV shows get it worst - no, I haven't watched Seinfeld/GOT/whatever. Stop making references like they mean anything to me.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Quarantine scruffiness has lead to a 10000% increase of my dad and other boomers I know saying “Haw haw you know what you should do? You should get a man bun :haw:” as substitute for a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I have survived Corona. But in recovery I lost my sense of smell. Food still tastes good, but I can't smell anything. Not flowers, not food, not soap, nothing. Smell is completely gone. And no one seems to know if this is permanent.