Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

How hard is it to fix a 'form 43 plugin' error? I understand it requires downloading the modding tools or... something, but I don't even know where to begin with that.

It's as simple as opening the mod in the Creation Kit and re-saving it.

Getting the Creation Kit set up is a little hinky as you need a specific version of it in order to support multiple masters (or something like that, it's been a while) but there are good step-by-step guides to do it and you only need to do the setup once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

docbeard posted:

Getting the Creation Kit set up is a little hinky as you need a specific version of it in order to support multiple masters
That's just editing CreationKitCustom.ini with
[General]
bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also probably worth downloading Creation Kit Fixes from Nexus or wherever. It makes it MUCH more user friendly and less prone to crashing because lol Bethesda.

Honestly, the most obtuse part of the whole process is just signing up and getting the Bethesda Launcher to get the drat SE Creation Kit in the first place.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Internet Kraken posted:

How hard is it to fix a 'form 43 plugin' error? I understand it requires downloading the modding tools or... something, but I don't even know where to begin with that.

I wasn't able to get the Creation Kit working until I downloaded it from the Bethesda Launcher, in case that helps.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Also probably worth downloading Creation Kit Fixes from Nexus or wherever. It makes it MUCH more user friendly and less prone to crashing because lol Bethesda.

Honestly, the most obtuse part of the whole process is just signing up and getting the Bethesda Launcher to get the drat SE Creation Kit in the first place.

Ah, I think that's the thing that required a specific version. I remember something did. Like I said, it's been a while since I set the drat thing up!

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
CreationKit Fixes has been updated for the latest version of the Creation Kit, so that's not an issue (right now).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nine-gear crow posted:

It should be called the Bethesda Crasher.

At least that was my experience with it. It took an inordinately long time to manage to get the CK installed, whereas for the 32-bit version it's just a Steam download with zero fuss.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 16, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I just finished a whole mess of modding from a fresh install (fresh computer for that matter) and I was absolutely shocked that the game loaded on the first attempt instead of immediately crashing without explanation.

Now I just have to figure out why I'm crashing in cities. Wilderness, no problem. Small towns like Riverwood, no problem. Building in either of those, no problem. Step into Whiterun/Windhelm/etc? CTD. I used Alternate Start to begin inside Windhelm and it loaded me into the New Gnisis Cornerclub no problem. Step out into street? CTD.

I done broke my cities!

e: Cities now unbroke. For reference, "JK's Skyrim" and "Dawn of Skyrim" weren't playing nice. They are supposed to be compatible with a patch, but even so I was getting a crash 100% of the time within major cities. Just turned off Dawn of Skyrim to fix it.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 17, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

man what in the hell is going on

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We've seen into the gates of Sovngard brother.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Who else thinks that scene was basically inspired by the first edition D&D cover?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cat Mattress posted:

Who else thinks that scene was basically inspired by the first edition D&D cover?

I woudn't doubt it

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Did steam get rid of the workshop feature that let you upload mods via steam?

I don't see it anywhere.

I know that NMM and whatnot aren't the most difficult things in the world but it's much more of a hassle.

I basically want some enai mods, light graphics overhaul mods, less rubberbandy enemy levels, and a few other quality of life mods.

e: and of course "a new life" or w/e that lets you pick an alternate start

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Did steam get rid of the workshop feature that let you upload mods via steam?

I don't see it anywhere.

I know that NMM and whatnot aren't the most difficult things in the world but it's much more of a hassle.

I basically want some enai mods, light graphics overhaul mods, less rubberbandy enemy levels, and a few other quality of life mods.

e: and of course "a new life" or w/e that lets you pick an alternate start

That last one is called Alternate Start

And you should learn to use Mod organizer unless you enjoy reinstalling Skyrim from scratch.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Skwirl posted:

That last one is called Alternate Start

And you should learn to use Mod organizer unless you enjoy reinstalling Skyrim from scratch.

I've used MO before and it still results in me often reinstalling Skyrim from scratch :shobon:

Thank you for the response however, I appreciate your input my friend!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reinstalled legendary edition for the first time in like four years. I'm getting prepped for a modding blitz with special edition compatible mods and I wanted to know what is considered bog standard for a new installation. I've been modding New Vegas nonstop for close to a decade but I've fallen off on Skyrim so there's a ton of stuff on the all time top mods list that I don't know is necessary or if it should be avoided.

I guess my biggest question is are there any combat or rebalance mods that have come out that aren't a pack of lies and actually make it so the melee in the game doesn't suck rear end? I've been kinda spoiled by Vermintide having some of the best first person melee ever.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 19, 2020

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Arcsquad12 posted:

Reinstalled legendary edition for the first time in like four years. I'm getting prepped for a modding blitz with special edition compatible mods and I wanted to know what is considered bog standard for a new installation. I've been modding New Vegas nonstop for close to a decade but I've fallen off on Skyrim so there's a ton of stuff on the all time top mods list that I don't know is necessary or if it should be avoided.

I guess my biggest question is are there any combat or rebalance mods that have come out that aren't a pack of lies and actually make it so the melee in the game doesn't suck rear end? I've been kinda spoiled by Vermintide having some of the best first person melee ever.

Wildcat Combat

Genesis Increased Spawns

High Level Enemies

Resilient Dragons

Lethal Traps

Increased Spawns or whatever

Know Your Enemy

these are the mods i use to make the game more difficult. it's a bunch of bullshit that just fucks with stats, because there's not much else you can do to spice up combat. sometimes it's a slog since you end up with huge spawns in the overworld that seem to really enjoy chasing rabbits or nearby NPCs into more fights but whatever that's it's own kind of fun imo. you get wolf packs that are like a dozen deep that include puppies so you just loving run because i will be straight god damned if i'm going to slaughter puppies.

really the most important ones are wildcat and know your enemy. wildcat messes with all kinds of stuff and adds crippling effects to all characters when they reach certain health thresholds. you can get your legs injured and fall over, or your arms injured and your weapon unequips itself (which is different than being disarmed, since an injured arm just puts the weapon in your inventory while being disarmed is basically one of the most dogshit things that can possibly happen in this fucker of a game.) also, you can change it so that you get crippled if an attack takes a certain chunk of your health in one hit. it makes combat a little faster, but you also run the risk of getting injured. and to cure injuries, you need to hit 100% health. so if you're in a spot where you have no healing and your head gets injured so that your magicka slowly drains and never regenerates, you're in a pretty bad way.

KYE adds specific resistances to armor and specific benefits against armor to weapons. the funniest poo poo about this mod is when you're like, "oh i'm going to wear a bunch of heavy plate armor and go plow into a group of jerks" and then one loving dude with an apprentice lightning bolt loving gibs you in seconds. it makes metal armor is vulnerable to shock and idk heat or something. fur armor protects from frost but not much else. leather protects from some elements but arrows go right through you etc. weapons have blunt, piercing, and slashing stats.

the increased spawns is just to make things a little more interesting if you want... more dudes to kill :shrug:. like i don't know. you can either have the base spawns that the game offers and it's challenging with wildcat and KYE but it will eventually get easy, or you can spawn like 20 dudes per 1 npc parent and have them respawn 5 times per fight and make things super challenging, but then it might become a slog. "Go get my family's sword from some doofus in a cave" can turn into like 50 levels and a loving weekend worth of fighting bandits, which to me is fun but maybe not to everyone else so w/e. i have to say though, a cave full of like a zillion falmer being hit with Mayhem is some end-times poo poo, but that's just the fun of Mayhem i guess.

leathal traps makes that kind of stuff more dangerous, so that a swinging spiked gate does 1500 damage instead of like 20. you know those boulder traps that do like 1 damage? yeah those do like 50 damage every attosecond. you actually have a very good reason to take that perk in the sneak tree that makes it so you don't trigger traps.

also, i try to keep my character bound to a theme. i don't like that the dragonborn can be good at everything. i mean, it makes sense lore-wise i guess, but gameplay wise it's lame. i use one set of armor for everything. so if i want to be a badass blacksmith, i force myself to wear that crafting gear everywhere i go. you have to have a little discipline to make it so that you don't become a one-goon + Lyds army but that's just skyrim i guess

and for perspective, all this poo poo combined basically sticks me at novice difficulty until like level 20 at least, and that's assuming i have excellent gear. sometimes, you need to get your skills to 100 just to start climbing the difficulty ladder (if you're bad like me but whatever)

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 19, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I ended up going with Ultimate Combat and the Sekiro submod. Seems pretty good so far.

Now for lighting. Am I better off with Enhanced Lights and FX or Realistic Lighting Overhaul?

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
There are so many "here's the best mods in 2020!" lists I've encountered that I figured I'd just ask people I trust more than some random internet bozos (I mean ya'll are random internet bozos but at least we all paid our dues to be here so that puts you above the rest):

I've started Skyrim probably a dozen times, played for an hour or two and then stopped. I really just want to give it another go but have it be really nice looking and more, I don't know, immersive? There's 324,523,855 different mods out there specifically for this -- but do ya'll have any suggestions?

I kinda glanced at the stuff here: https://www.sinitargaming.com/skyrim_se.html where he has a guide for basically the "first time player who has never modded a game before." Now I've modded Skyrim in the past, so I'm not new to the experience (dear god chasing down CTD is not fun), so I guess I'm just looking for some suggestions of neat things for a first and maybe only playthrough of Skyrim SE.

Thanks, ya'll.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
is there no way to get dlc for regular Skyrim anymore?

I have a low-end rig with a 750 ti that runs Skyrim like a champ as well as most of what I throw at it but special edition recommended specs are above it. I only have vanilla rear end Skyrim

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

John Romero posted:

I have a low-end rig with a 750 ti that runs Skyrim like a champ as well as most of what I throw at it but special edition recommended specs are above it. I only have vanilla rear end Skyrim

Bethesda had it delisted from Steam in favour of Special Edition, and they yanked the DLC down with it. If you already owned a copy of it you can still redownload everything from Steam’s servers, or buy a new copy of base game Skyrim, but that’s it. If you want Hearthfire, Dragonborn, and Dawnguard you need to buy Special Edition. Moreover, you can’t even have original Skyrim and Special Edition on the same install drive (possibly even the same computer, I haven’t checked) because one will constantly fight with the other for supremacy and supersede the other.

Look, Todd really loving wants you to buy Special Edition, okay...

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Todd, you son of a bitch

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
How do you fix it when a physics banging sound starts playing indoors everywhere all the time?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You probably have two mods modifying the same space, and adding items that intersect. I've had it happen a few times when a mod would add a lampost or something, and another would add a cart in the same place. The cart would start going crazy, but it was stuck on the post.

If you can find the item, you can disable it from the console.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Mods aren't necessarily the problem there. Poorly placed items from mods can trigger it to happen, but what's happening is the physics engine going bananas.

@Its Chocolate: Try limiting your FPS to 60.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tensokuu posted:

There are so many "here's the best mods in 2020!" lists I've encountered that I figured I'd just ask people I trust more than some random internet bozos (I mean ya'll are random internet bozos but at least we all paid our dues to be here so that puts you above the rest):

I've started Skyrim probably a dozen times, played for an hour or two and then stopped. I really just want to give it another go but have it be really nice looking and more, I don't know, immersive? There's 324,523,855 different mods out there specifically for this -- but do ya'll have any suggestions?

I kinda glanced at the stuff here: https://www.sinitargaming.com/skyrim_se.html where he has a guide for basically the "first time player who has never modded a game before." Now I've modded Skyrim in the past, so I'm not new to the experience (dear god chasing down CTD is not fun), so I guess I'm just looking for some suggestions of neat things for a first and maybe only playthrough of Skyrim SE.

Thanks, ya'll.

Having Skyrim look really good is simple, but time consuming to set up just because of the number of mods. I'm talking if you actually want the A+ experience and not just "some stuff looks better I guess". If you want me to and promise to use it, I will make an actual effort post "here is a guide for modding noobs in June 2020 to make Skyrim look great plus some light game enhancements that any idiot can complete". Be aware it will take several hours at minimum to setup, mostly because just "download mod --> apply mod --> next mod" like 150 times is time consuming. But it will blow your socks off both by how amazing Skyrim can actually look at how much of the gameplay doesn't have to be poo poo.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 19, 2020

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Chomp8645 posted:

Having Skyrim look really good is simple, but time consuming to set up just because of the number of mods. I'm talking if you actually want the A+ experience and not just "some stuff looks better I guess". If you want me to and promise to use it, I will make an actual effort post "here is a guide for modding noobs in June 2020 to make Skyrim look great plus some light game enhancements that any idiot can complete". Be aware it will take several hours at minimum to setup, mostly because just "download mod --> apply mod --> next mod" like 150 times is time consuming. But it will blow your socks off both by how amazing Skyrim can actually look at how much of the gameplay doesn't have to be poo poo.

That would be rad. I promise to use it if you include the basic level stuff like setting up NMM. I promise!

Graphics + ENAI Mods + Fixing Leveling (monsters and loot) + Some fleshed out factions = crazy delicious.

e: i know loot isn't really the point of Skyrim but it kind of sucks that's there such little variety and no real sense of progression. It's like "okay you got cloth/light/heavy from the starting shops, now wait dozens of levels until armor of higher materials drops or grind out some of the main questlines"

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 20, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Moreover, you can’t even have original Skyrim and Special Edition on the same install drive (possibly even the same computer, I haven’t checked) because one will constantly fight with the other for supremacy and supersede the other.

This is bullshit. I had both installed and running for a while (oldrim was my dev environment, SE was for playing.) They ran fine.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That would be rad. I promise to use it if you include the basic level stuff like setting up NMM. I promise!

Graphics + ENAI Mods + Fixing Leveling (monsters and loot) + Some fleshed out factions = crazy delicious.

e: i know loot isn't really the point of Skyrim but it kind of sucks that's there such little variety and no real sense of progression. It's like "okay you got cloth/light/heavy from the starting shops, now wait dozens of levels until armor of higher materials drops or grind out some of the main questlines"

This is rad. Somehow everything is working on the first try. Normally when I tried MO2 and stuff everything broke a bunch.

I even got ENB working, the first time I've ever even tried to use it.

This rules! Thanks for the support thread. :)

Now watch as I jinx it and it breaks right after this.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

John Romero posted:

I felt no shame at all about buying a license on g2a to get the LE again after a long time with skyrim uninstalled. It's like ten bucks, I'd have been glad to give that money to steam but eh.

edit: this was like 6 months ago, no idea if I'll be able to get the DLC again if I need it again.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 20, 2020

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

This is rad. Somehow everything is working on the first try. Normally when I tried MO2 and stuff everything broke a bunch.

I even got ENB working, the first time I've ever even tried to use it.

This rules! Thanks for the support thread. :)

Now watch as I jinx it and it breaks right after this.

drat, everything is working well!

Except the draw distance seems absolute poo poo, and everything pops in all at once rather than blending.
Q: is the above lovely draw distance just how the base game was? Will it improve with graphics mods?
I have only installed the Special Edition Stuff stuff from:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/begin2#wiki_beginner.27s_guide_to_modding_skyrim
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/essential_mods#wiki_truly_essential_mods

When I first installed Skyrim SE it did a graphics test and set everything to super low. I started the launcher a separate time and set it to ultra, so this poor draw distance is very disappointing.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Chomp8645 posted:

I spent three hours today trying to figure out why my mods weren't working in Witcher 3, after spending almost three hours last night fighting with it to. I say bring it on (and thank you in advance!)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm loving how SPERG makes two handed weapons viable. When you stack the two handed and one handed weapon speed perks you're swinging greatswords 60% faster and it feels great after they were so clunky for years.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

John Romero posted:

You can still buy The Elder Scrolls Anthology, it contains a steam key for the Legendary Edition version of Skyrim, so that's one way to get the old DLCs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Tensokuu posted:

I spent three hours today trying to figure out why my mods weren't working in Witcher 3, after spending almost three hours last night fighting with it to. I say bring it on (and thank you in advance!)

Alright, give me some time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok gonna start work on the guide. I'll try to get it done today if I can but I can't promise. Because while I don't know if this is gonna take 30 minutes or five hours, I have a sneaking suspicion that somehow it will be more like the latter.

In the meantime I put together a little video to show off what the end product should look like. Quick tour of Riverwood and some quick fighting at the end featuring a little bit of the combat enhancements. Sorry, I don't have special recording software and my youtube account is a nobody, so the original 1.5gb video file got compressed down to 94mb for this. It will look better when playing. This is just to illustrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzg1a-NZ4xI

(This is not a plug for my youtube channel. I'm not a "youtuber" in that sense. It's the first video I've uploaded in years and I'm not monetized in any way. It's just a place for assorted bullshit I've recorded over the years.)

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 20, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no big sweaty Viking titties jiggling, 6/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Randaconda posted:

no big sweaty Viking titties jiggling, 6/10

You can absolutely have this if that's what you want. I chose not to, but all the framework is there! It sounds funny, but believe it or not the difference between what you see in the video and "big titty goth simulator" mostly comes down to a little bit of tweaking at the final stages. 98% of the mods are the same. If I wanted to, which I don't, it would take me less than ten minutes to convert what you see there into SkyBounce: The Adventures of Boobarella. I'll make the guide such that if you follow it you'll get what you see here and not... that. But I'll leave the ultimate choice to you, dear player.