Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Trammel posted:

I was in Xi'an in 2012 and there were huge anti Japanese demonstrations in the city and even rumors of one person being beaten to death by a mob for driving a Japanese brand vehicle. It was definitely a thing to have red ribbons on your (Japanese) car during that period. I also saw signs in shops saying "no dogs or Japanese". I remember one Japanese restaurant I used to go to temporarily shut down and never reopened during that period. I also used to know a girl who sang beautifully telling me that it would be a good thing for China to nuke Japan and just kill them all. She also said that black people scared her and she wouldn't live in the same building as one. Her father was in the police. So, yeah, China is a land of contrasts.

Was that linked to a specific event? I know there have been times when some right wing idiot in Japan did something stupid and there'd be mobs smashing sushi restaurants in China for a bit. You can always drum up active hate but I didn't encounter the kind of pervasive Japanese hatred that I did in Korea. I have no problem believing it's out there though, I just never ran into it that I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ok thread it's time to go where the interesting things are

Beijing shuts all schools and goes to 'alert level two' to tackle new coronavirus outbreak caused by 'contaminated goods and interpersonal communication' as China blames European strain

have those devil europeans brought their barbarian virus to peaceful china? or are we seeing the results of chabuduo lockdown

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Grand Fromage posted:

I can also back up the opinion of Indians that Blistex experienced. When mainlanders would tell me what countries/peoples they hated, the list was almost always this one and in this order:

Koreans
Hong Kongers
Vietnamese
Indians

After that you started getting wild cards. One had Mexicans as #5 and I was so confused.

You might think Japan would be on the list but I never met anyone who had a problem with Japan, most of my students were enormous weebs. I wonder if that had something to do with being in Sichuan well west of Chongqing, which was pretty much outside of Japan's reach in the war. I can imagine people further east being raised on family stories of the Japanese invasion having a different point of view.

What was the reasoning for Mexico

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Alan Smithee posted:

What was the reasoning for Mexico

His English was real bad and so is my Chinese so I'm not sure. I think he was mad Mexicans claimed to have invented chili peppers, which obviously came from China.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I thought it was cause they dared to stop chinese fisherman from poaching the vaquita dolphin

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I also once was doing an extra class for some middle schoolers and one wrote "I hate Mexico" in the tell me about yourself assignment, crossed Mexico out, and corrected it to Italy. Never got an explanation of that one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

I also once was doing an extra class for some middle schoolers and one wrote "I hate Mexico" in the tell me about yourself assignment, crossed Mexico out, and corrected it to Italy. Never got an explanation of that one.

Tomatoes in food?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

noodles?

call it your noodle incident

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

China's Supreme intelligence knows no bounds, they have discovered the carrier of Covid-19 is ... Salmon!

:lol:

Blame Norway! Apparently. There is no more Salmon in China.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

ok thread it's time to go where the interesting things are

Beijing shuts all schools and goes to 'alert level two' to tackle new coronavirus outbreak caused by 'contaminated goods and interpersonal communication' as China blames European strain

have those devil europeans brought their barbarian virus to peaceful china? or are we seeing the results of chabuduo lockdown

:lol: Before that they were blaming Black people. With BLM in full swing they are going after orange instead. It is DM so salt required.

WuFlu was never beaten like it has been in New Zealand or Taiwan#1. Especially if the time line is shifted to late 2019 as people would be running around everywhere by either New Years. China's numbers have always been nonsensical because China gotta China. It should have exploded like it did in New York.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

oohhboy posted:

So when are we going to stop all this engagement BS and enter the next cold war? This is really getting out of control. Not only do we share far fewer values with China than we did the Soviets, they gives even less of a drat with how they treat anyone or anything.

when trump declares taiwan an independent nation to the protests of the taiwanese in june 2021

or hell, maybe to the cheers of the taiwanese. a lot can happen in 12 months.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Grand Fromage posted:

Was that linked to a specific event? I know there have been times when some right wing idiot in Japan did something stupid and there'd be mobs smashing sushi restaurants in China for a bit. You can always drum up active hate but I didn't encounter the kind of pervasive Japanese hatred that I did in Korea. I have no problem believing it's out there though, I just never ran into it that I can remember.

It was related to the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands dispute, and it happened all over China and Taiwan.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_China_anti-Japanese_demonstrations

Also around that time was a water cannon fight between a Japanese vessel and a Taiwanese one:

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 17, 2020

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

World Cup maybe? I've certainly never forgiven them for 2006.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It was related to the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands dispute, and it happened all over China and Taiwan.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_China_anti-Japanese_demonstrations

Also around that time was a water cannon fight between a Japanese vessel and a Taiwanese one:

Ah yeah, I remember that now. Good ol Ishihara.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

My favorite part of that was how Taiwan, not immune to caring too much about worthless rocks, also chimed in to say the islands were in fact theirs.

MrMoo posted:

China's Supreme intelligence knows no bounds, they have discovered the carrier of Covid-19 is ... Salmon!

:lol:

Blame Norway! Apparently. There is no more Salmon in China.

where did u read this? In everything I've read the chinese gov specifically said it wasn't carried or spread by salmon, probably in fear of everyone going and trashing fishing boats.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Magna Kaser posted:

My favorite part of that was how Taiwan, not immune to caring too much about worthless rocks, also chimed in to say the islands were in fact theirs.

where did u read this? In everything I've read the chinese gov specifically said it wasn't carried or spread by salmon, probably in fear of everyone going and trashing fishing boats.

Our school fed us all salmon at an end of term dinner literally a week ago, no symptoms yet.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm sorry, but that salmon was left uncovered for the 10 minutes it took you to eat it. I would advise that you make peace with your loved ones and/or gods.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm sorry, but that salmon was left uncovered for the 10 minutes it took you to eat it. I would advise that you make peace with your loved ones and/or gods.

Look it's not some deadly toxin like rice.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Alan Smithee posted:

like Saudi annoying

We had a lot of Saudis too. They were actually pretty cool but had real backwards ideas about stuff, as you would expect. but at least I got the feeling they did their own work instead of farming it out like the Chinese kids.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Grand Fromage posted:

I always find it quite funny that the majority of sushi shops in Australia are actually run by Chinese and koreans. This is purely based on the shop keepers appearance and manner though. To me Koreans, Chinese and Japanese all look so uniquely different its pretty easy to tell them apart.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
NZ has wuflu again via english travellers, crumpet strain

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

heck

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BRITS OOT

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
"The British Exchange"

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

BrassRoots posted:

but at least I got the feeling they did their own work instead of farming it out like the Chinese kids.

I get how this works for homework, papers etc. But for in-person exams, how do they get away with it? Many of my exams were open book, but this didn't help unless you had a solid understanding of the subject matter. And if you failed your midterm and final, it doesn't matter how many stolen/purchased homework or papers you submitted, you're gonna get the F.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

grellgraxer posted:

I get how this works for homework, papers etc. But for in-person exams, how do they get away with it? Many of my exams were open book, but this didn't help unless you had a solid understanding of the subject matter. And if you failed your midterm and final, it doesn't matter how many stolen/purchased homework or papers you submitted, you're gonna get the F.

At the university where I did my undergrad there was a big cheating scandal a few years back where some of the international students were paying this one Chinese PhD student to write their exams for them, counting on the proctors not looking closely to see if the picture on the student ID matched the person.

It worked for a while until he tried to write an exam for a female student with an extremely female Chinese name and seemingly forgot that there was other Chinese grad students who might recognize that. One was proctoring the exam, took one look at the name on the paper, was like "There's no way in hell that's your name" and the guy was done. Multiple expulsions (and IIRC deportations once their student visas were cancelled as a result) ensued.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A student tried that at my school once and when caught explained that since Chinese people can't tell foreigners apart, he assumed I couldn't tell Chinese people apart and I wouldn't notice.

grellgraxer posted:

There's not a lot of planning and forethought put into it, also. I had a number of students whose parents decided that they were too dumb to pass the gaokao and go to university in China, so instead they'd go into our international program and go to college in the US. Because attending a US university without speaking more than five words of English is easy.

Turns out, not so much. It's also harder to just bribe a US university for grades than to bribe your Chinese schools. By no means impossible, but harder.

There was a study that IIRC Harvard did to try to figure out why Korean students had something like an 80%+ failure rate and it concluded that they don't speak English and therefore weirdly could not handle school in English.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Maybe off topic but what dialect is this? And what verb would you use for making a test, e.g. if you're the professor?

Edit: I've heard Germans use it a lot, but I had always thought it was just a mistranslation.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 17, 2020

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

Maybe off topic but what dialect is this? And what verb would you use for making a test, e.g. if you're the professor?

Edit: I've heard Germans use it a lot, but I had always thought it was just a mistranslation.

Canadian English?

As for the professor, I guess "created the exam"? I mean "wrote the exam" also works but it's all about context. If you're talking to someone in their early 20s at a Canadian university and they're all like "Oh man I barely slept last night and now I have to go write the exam for calc 201", it'd be pretty clear they meant they have to do the exam, not create it.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I'm Canadian and used the term "write exam" to describe the act of sitting down and taking a test.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Writing the exam is what the professor does, a student sits it or takes it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
as an american i've never heard the phrase 'write the test' used for anything other than the teacher actually creating the test. the students 'take the test' regardless of if they're writing essays or filling bubbles.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In the UK you "read" economics at a university, maybe that turn of phrase blows your mind too.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

In Canada you take tests and write exams.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

mikerock posted:

I'm Canadian and used the term "write exam" to describe the act of sitting down and taking a test.

Very much the same, and from the other side of the country no less.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
"write the exam"? What kinda profanity is that? Guess it's what we expect from people who "gently caress the dog". :mad:

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

This is a real revelation to me. I've always considered "write the exam" to be as commonly used and understood as "take the test" and would never have thought this could be construed as anything else in the English speaking world.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

UltraRed posted:

"write the exam"? What kinda profanity is that? Guess it's what we expect from people who "gently caress the dog". :mad:

Guess we've really poo poo the bed with this one, eh?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

McGavin posted:

In Canada you take tests and write exams.

You can also sit for an exam, but that’s less commonly used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Officer of China’s People’s Liberation Army Arrested At Los Angeles International Airport.

quote:

Wang provided information to CBP that he had been instructed by his supervisor, the director of his military university lab in the PRC, to observe the layout of the UCSF lab and bring back information on how to replicate it in China. CBP received information that Wang had studies from UCSF with him which he was taking to share with his PLA colleagues, and he had sent research to his lab in China via email. Wang similarly told his supervising UCSF professor that he had duplicated some of the work of that professor at the lab in China... Wang also wiped his personal phone of WeChat messaging content earlier the morning he arrived at LAX.

Make sure to check out the attachment at the bottom so you can download the Wang complaint.