Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The Dustbringers sound like complete dorks. Only through rigid mastery of myself can I contain THE DEMON INSIDE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is sooo cool, it's really great that you found this, mewse. There's a ton of information to unpack, and I have to go to sleep now :(

But quick skimming shows that it confirms one fan theory, that Bondsmiths oath vary depending on which of the three Bondsmith spren they're bonded to. And even their powers are slightly different from one another.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TGG posted:

Apparently I am full bore Truthwatcher

:same:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mewse posted:

Thread has been quiet lately so I checked Brandon's website. He's at 100% on stormlight 4 draft 4.0 and zero percent on draft 5.0, whatever that means.

There's also a fun quiz that will tell you what order of the knights radiant you belong to:

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/announcing-the-official-knights-radiant-order-quiz-stormlight-phone-wallpaper/

Willshaper (with Elsecaller as a very close second).

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

mewse posted:

Thread has been quiet lately so I checked Brandon's website. He's at 100% on stormlight 4 draft 4.0 and zero percent on draft 5.0, whatever that means.

There's also a fun quiz that will tell you what order of the knights radiant you belong to:

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/announcing-the-official-knights-radiant-order-quiz-stormlight-phone-wallpaper/

5.0 is the final polish, so copy edit and continuity and prose stuff. 4.0 was the response to beta reader feedback.

Willshaper/Lightweaver which is basically what I expected!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

This is sooo cool, it's really great that you found this, mewse. There's a ton of information to unpack, and I have to go to sleep now :(

But quick skimming shows that it confirms one fan theory, that Bondsmiths oath vary depending on which of the three Bondsmith spren they're bonded to. And even their powers are slightly different from one another.

yeah there's a ton of stuff here, i'm excited to see what the true obsessive fans can put together when they crossreference all this with all the other obscure tidbits out there

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I normally never do those quizes, but....

Willshaper, followed closely by Windrunner. I was hoping for the latter but the former sounds cool. Interested to learn more about them in RoW for sure :)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Im split right down the middle between Truthwatchers and Edgedancers.

Also how the gently caress did my phone predict “Edgedancers” after “edg”?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Windrunner 72%
Edgedanger 69% :heysexy:

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

After pre-ordering Oathbringer I finally finished it. Though to be fair with myself, Real Life poo poo happened so I didn't read it when it released and then just, didn't. TOR giving away The Way Of Kings made some friends start reading the series so I read them all.

drat the Dalinar flashbacks get dark, though I really liked the conclusion of it in his confrontation against Odium.

Now I kinda want to re-read the rest of the Cosmere lol

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just looked up when Tor began to release Oathbringer chapters, and it was on August 29th, with Oathbringer being released on November 14th. Rhythm of War will be released on November 17th, so the first Rhythm of War chapters are likely less than two months away :)

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

TGG posted:

Apparently I am full bore Truthwatcher, not what I expected but drat if I don't want to see more of what Progression can do.

Greetings, fellow gumshoe.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Please post about all the stuff you learn! I am always fascinated by your posts and love learning about more hidden cosmere stuff.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Huh, pretty firmly Truthwatcher. (85%, when the next highest was Lightweaver at 55)

Apparently I'd be a terrible Dustbringer or Bondsmith though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I really hope RoW focuses much more on Rock, both because of what happens in the end of Oathbringer and because I really want to see them dive in to the Horneaters' Parshendi ancestry.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Lightweaver what? Is it because I chose boxing over fencing?

Wanted to be a windbro 😕

mewse
May 2, 2006

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Wanted to be a windbro 😕

Trying the juke the quiz is such a lightweaver thing to do.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Evil Fluffy posted:

I really hope RoW focuses much more on Rock, both because of what happens in the end of Oathbringer and because I really want to see them dive in to the Horneaters' Parshendi ancestry.

We are supposed to get a Rock novella!!! I think the last word on it was slated for between RoW and KoW (as yet untitled book 5).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Windrunner 76%
Edgedancer 71%
Truthwatcher 70%

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Wanted to be a windbro 😕

Lightweaver with the next highest Willshaper and I 100%ed fencing over boxing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Huh,I got much lower score than everyone else.

Edgedancer: 46%
Truthwatcher: 41%
Windrunner: 37%
Lightweaver: 35%
Skybreaker: 18%
Willshaper: 16%
Stoneward: 9%
Bondsmith: 1%
Dustbringer: -8%
Elsecaller: -8%

I guess Edgedancer fits me as well as anything though. I am more like Lift than I'd like to admit. Emotion and zeal always trumps reason and planning. Although I'm actually pretty religious ("spiritual" be the better term, I suppose) which fits the order of old more than Lift.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Truthwatcher (59%). Seems like a good fit. :D

Also got Elsecaller at 37% and Skybreaker at 10%, everything else in the negative.

beathhail
Aug 21, 2015
86 pct Elsecaller, when even Jasnah thinks you're a bit much.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

How incredibly dorky.

(I got lightweaver at 69%)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

(I got lightweaver at 69%)

Nice

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

mewse posted:

Trying the juke the quiz is such a lightweaver thing to do.

God... drat. When you put it that way.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I don't know what the gently caress cause my lowest score is 35% dustbringer, higher 68% elsecaller. How are people getting negative scores from this thing? Genuinely curious how it seems to be set up when you have 10 options and you can combine answers to come up with cumulatively lower or higher scores. Like I'm curious if there's meant to be some set of scores that shows you're not 'suitable' for being a Knight Radiant. Just because that would kind of fit with Sanderson's approach to lore building, where even a dumb 'personality quiz' thing is more than just an excuse to see if you're more griffindor than hufflepuff you're libertarian or super libertarian?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The quiz works by determining which order you are least suited to, then normalizing and putting them in reverse order

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Kickstarter for the Way of Kings leather bound will be up soon - and the Wandersail novella will be one of the rewards!!

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/the-way-of-kings-leatherbound-kickstarter-sneak-peek/

And Way of Kings Prime being released as a stretch goal reward!!

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Leng posted:

Kickstarter for the Way of Kings leather bound will be up soon - and the Wandersail novella will be one of the rewards!!

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/the-way-of-kings-leatherbound-kickstarter-sneak-peek/

And Way of Kings Prime being released as a stretch goal reward!!
Thanks for posting this, I'm bad at following breaking Branderson news.

The language here implies other releases of his have been put out in leatherbound; are those Kickstarter exclusives or is it possible to get them elsewhere? The real question is simply: I've got permanent living quarters with lots of built-in shelving now, so I'm interested in relatively easy to get, nicer than mass-market paperback, editions of Sanderson works.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

bitprophet posted:

Thanks for posting this, I'm bad at following breaking Branderson news.

The language here implies other releases of his have been put out in leatherbound; are those Kickstarter exclusives or is it possible to get them elsewhere? The real question is simply: I've got permanent living quarters with lots of built-in shelving now, so I'm interested in relatively easy to get, nicer than mass-market paperback, editions of Sanderson works.

https://store.brandonsanderson.com/signed-books/?price_min=81&price_max=100&sort=featured has the current leatherbounds. Not all are in stock, but they're usually re-ordering those, so you just have to keep an eye out.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
It seems to be his 10th anniversary thing. Leather bound editions with new art and charts and poo poo.

The Hero of Ages leather bound came with a complete Feruchemy chart that sent the copper mind into a tizzy.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Woof, $100! Sure looks like you get your money's worth though. Gonna have to think about it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I hate myself for even asking this since I long ago vowed not to but I’ve been in the mood for some new Sanderson:

How are the last three Wheel books? I don’t think I read beyond book 9 but for some reason I doubt that I’d miss anything.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
They're pretty good. Book 10 is probably the worst book due to pacing issues, but Robert Jordan himself picked up the pace noticeably with 11, which is generally rated more with the very good first 6 books than the books 7-10. Sanderson himself does a good job of finishing the story.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
The biggest complaints from the WoT fandom are that Sanderson doesn't get Mat right, his prose is lacking compared to RJ, he writes battles like a D&D campaign as opposed to a war veteran and he overdoes it with magic system min/max loopholes with a minor character in the late stage.

I personally thought he did a good job finishing off the series. It had been long enough since I read the series that I honestly didn't notice the Mat issues until other people pointed it out, I vastly preferred Sanderson style prose vs constant braid tugging etc, I don't get that hung up on fight scenes and I'm a min/maxer myself. I was just happy I finally got an ending to the series.

Your mileage may vary, though if you're a Sanderson fan already, then I think you'll have fun regardless. Book thirteen is just an entire book of Sanderlanche and is all sorts of wonderful.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

He does a good enough job that I've repeatedly seen people complain about how such-and-such chapters aren't what Jordan would've done and then, it later turns out, said chapters end up being ones that Jordan directly wrote big chunks of or completely plotted out and Sanderson effectively had no control over.

Some of those complaints above are definitely valid and may bother some people, but I feel like there's a bias towards assuming Jordan was more conservative about his plotting of the final books than he actually was (probably because of how unbearably slow things got right before he died).

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 5, 2020

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Leather bound books opened up to order on kickstarter. Regular leatherbound is $200 and signed and numbered is $500. Signed and numbered is almost sold out at around ~400 left out of 1950.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/the-way-of-kings-10th-anniversary-leatherbound-edition?ref=user_menu

E: 71 left S&N books
E2: Signed and Numbered tiers sold out. Looks like they are offering another $500 tier but without numbering.

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 7, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just hit $3M.

Also giving away a free ebook of the first version of the way of kings, before he did the post-WoT total rewrite

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/the-way-of-kings-prime/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer
And the newsletter has a short story called Sylphrena's Interlude. I believe you can only get it via the newsletter. I'm intrigued by the implication that Kaladin is back to being a surgeon