Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I'm not an expert in this, so consider this just wild speculation- but I wonder how much of a market there is really is for SSTs?

The advent of cheap and high-quality videoconferencing software and the ubiquity of fast internet seems to me like it would cover most of the "I need to go do business across the ocean, quickly" use case that dominated the clientele for Concorde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bring back ocean liners.

Why speed across the globe on a plane only to sit in quarantine for a fortnight at your destination?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
From the accounts I've seen, flying in the concorde was loud as poo poo and kind of sucked. Also, good luck ever flying a supersonic plane over a populated area. "We've made it over a state no one gives a poo poo about, time to break everyone's windows."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
How about Rigid Airships again? All the selfie opportunity of a plane with all the slow pace of a ship.

Admittedly, I'm not sure how well they'd do in high-wind conditions.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's raining men, hallelujah, it's raining men

OSHA IV: hallelujah, it's raining men

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cojawfee posted:

From the accounts I've seen, flying in the concorde was loud as poo poo and kind of sucked. Also, good luck ever flying a supersonic plane over a populated area. "We've made it over a state no one gives a poo poo about, time to break everyone's windows."

Yeah my dad flew on it once and said it was basically just another plane trip that wasn't as long as normal. Plane travel loving sucks.

Like, it's the most human thing possible to take soaring across the edge of space and getting from one side of a continent to the other in a few hours and make it an almost completely miserable experience.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lighter‐than‐air craft are in the unenviable position of being too slow to outrun weather and too fragile to ride it out.

Weather forecasts have greatly improved since their heyday, but not enough to entirely eliminate the risk.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Bugger, assumed that was the case.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's always talk about heavier than air, and lighter than air ships. What about ships that weight exactly the same as air?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Platystemon posted:

Bring back ocean liners.

Why speed across the globe on a plane only to sit in quarantine for a fortnight at your destination?

Yup, ships have proven immune to spreading coronavirus.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Uthor posted:

Yup, ships have proven immune to spreading coronavirus.

They provide an inherent incubation period. A sane government (read: not Australia’s) will not lot them dock if there is communicable disease aboard.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

the original name for a nuclear reactor was an "atomic pile" because it was literally a pile of uranium and graphite bricks :eng101:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Super Soaker Party! posted:

That's great, but you'd need to have properly educated drivers, i.e. more like what Germany does than the maybe 6 hours of instruction the US generally does before sending teenagers out in control of 2 tons of metal. And if you think getting US citizens to do the simple job of wearing a mask to prevent virus transmission during a pandemic is hard, wait until you even suggest that driving isn't a god given right to be handed out to any moron who asks hooboy let me tell ya whut you'd be crucified in front of a DMV mighty fast.

And that of course assumes these properly educated drivers aren't glancing at their phones. But yes, it would be great if we could drive the 150 mph that modern cars can achieve (well, not the shitboxes obviously) instead of being stuck at 70.

As far as SST, there are a couple companies developing new ones but they keep claiming it's only a few years away. So, 2040.

What we need is for states to stand up to the Republican hate-boner against Amtrak and build up high-speed rail infrastructure. Every interstate freeway should have a high-speed rail line parallel to it that is only used for commuter traffic and not at the mercy of freight.

They've been trying to kill Amtrak for years, generally even more than they've been trying to kill the USPS.

My dream is for high-speed rail with car carriers so you could drive on in Eugene and drive off in Portland or Seattle, things like that.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Crossposting for the extremely OSHA-thread-appropriate quote from the person responsible:

https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/1272783718155980802

quote:

The analysis showed that she fabricated the results of 240 productions of steel, representing nearly half of the high-yield steel Bradken produced for Navy submarines — often toughness tests conducted at negative-100 degrees Fahrenheit, the complaint said.

When a special agent with the Department of Defense's Criminal Investigative Service confronted her with falsified results dating back to 1990, she eventually conceded that the results were altered — “Yeah, that looks bad,” the complaint quoted her as saying. She said she may have done it because she believed it was “a stupid requirement” that the test be conducted at such a cold temperature, the complaint said.

quote:

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-xpm-2013-dec-10-la-sh-lowest-temperature-recorded-antarctica-20131210-story.html

The lowest temperature recorded on Earth may have been logged in Antarctica on Aug. 10, 2010: a reading of 135.8 degrees below zero Fahrenheit (or minus 93.2 degrees Celsius).

-100f actually seems somewhat reasonable in this context and they probably should have even lower temperature requirements.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

quote:

Seattle U.S. Attorney Brian Moran

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Also with all these self-driving talks, I always thought they will have self flying and landing planes completely without pilots in most commercial flights before we get self driving cars.
Because airports are a much more controlled environment with all the guidance system and flight variable being controlled, yet due to liability and a bunch of technical issues or possibly unforeseen issues, we still dont have it.

I mean they can still tout things such as "avoiding pilot error" and "save on piloting cost" while having a much easier time to design for a supposedly very limited usage case for self flying and landing.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

There's always talk about heavier than air, and lighter than air ships. What about ships that weight exactly the same as air?

What about, like, *hits blunt* a ship made out of air, man?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When you think about it, “lighter‐than‐air” is a misnomer. Every vehicle yet built weights far less than eleven quintillion pounds.

Airships are really equally‐dense‐as‐air‐at‐their‐operating‐altitude craft.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I was under the impression that autopilot landings are already extremely common. But nobody wants to make a big deal about it.

Unpopular opinion time: We will have self-driving car ability when we invent AGI, if we ever do. And then it'll be useless.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
OSHA: the game just entered Early Access

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAtM-H3wrP4

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Beef posted:

I bought it on impulse based on some random bits of media yesterday that informed me of it. It's definitely OSHA as gently caress. It's literally a zero-G shipbreaking simulator, exactly as it says on the tin. The missions involve you trying to bust up spaceships for scrap in a semi-organized yard. If you're not careful you will absolutely get bashed by something you tried to pull off too hard with your grappling tool, or if you aren't careful about where you're cutting on a ship, you could hit a fuel line and cause a massive explosion. It's early access, obviously, and feels like it in some ways, the content is pretty barebones right now, but it's fun as gently caress to just bounce around in outer space and cut up old spaceships.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Memento posted:

Yeah my dad flew on it once and said it was basically just another plane trip that wasn't as long as normal. Plane travel loving sucks.

Like, it's the most human thing possible to take soaring across the edge of space and getting from one side of a continent to the other in a few hours and make it an almost completely miserable experience.

This is something I've always made a conscious effort to stay aware of whenever I've had to fly: No matter how lovely the experience, I am renting literal wizard powers for only the cost of a few days or weeks worth of income.

Mansa Musa ain't got poo poo on the lowliest JetBlue passenger.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:

Super Soaker Party! posted:

That's great, but you'd need to have properly educated drivers, i.e. more like what Germany does than the maybe 6 hours of instruction the US generally does before sending teenagers out in control of 2 tons of metal. And if you think getting US citizens to do the simple job of wearing a mask to prevent virus transmission during a pandemic is hard, wait until you even suggest that driving isn't a god given right to be handed out to any moron who asks hooboy let me tell ya whut you'd be crucified in front of a DMV mighty fast.

And that of course assumes these properly educated drivers aren't glancing at their phones. But yes, it would be great if we could drive the 150 mph that modern cars can achieve (well, not the shitboxes obviously) instead of being stuck at 70.

If we ever did start building such things, I would be completely on board with extra mandatory training / some sort of license endorsement with blocked entrances to ensure only those how did the training can enter those expressways. I know implementing it would be a nightmare and someone people will find a way around it but just as a thought experiment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

coke posted:

-100f actually seems somewhat reasonable in this context and they probably should have even lower temperature requirements.

Ocean water doesn't get that low because then it's just ice, but any smart designer will make sure that any equipment sent into extreme conditions will withstand at least several times the worst case scenario without failing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Ocean water doesn't get that low because then it's just ice, but any smart designer will make sure that any equipment sent into extreme conditions will withstand at least several times the worst case scenario without failing.

Someone posted the smarter every day video where Destin gets to go to a nuclear submarine. When it is surfaced, it is exposed to cold air and can get below freezing. I think he experienced -30 when he was in Alaska, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that part of the sub could get near that -100 at some point.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The important material science in this situation is you don't measure at -100 to know the performance at -100. You do it to put the material on a curve to know it doesn't have any cold specific defects that could impact expected performance at -20.

Do you need to go down to -100? Maybe not but that's something you get the quality leader, contract lawyers, and professional engineer together to find out if your alternative is ok.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

zedprime posted:

The important material science in this situation is you don't measure at -100 to know the performance at -100. You do it to put the material on a curve to know it doesn't have any cold specific defects that could impact expected performance at -20.

Do you need to go down to -100? Maybe not but that's something you get the quality leader, contract lawyers, and professional engineer together to find out if your alternative is ok.

Cold testing is a total pain in the rear end so I can like 1% sympathize. However lol thats your fuckin job just do it.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

zedprime posted:

JET FUEL CANT MELT STEEL BEAMS

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Moo the cow posted:

JET FUEL CANT MELT STEEL BEAMS

JET FUEL CAN'T FREEZE STEEL BEAMS

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Shawon Dunston posted:

I bought it on impulse based on some random bits of media yesterday that informed me of it. It's definitely OSHA as gently caress. It's literally a zero-G shipbreaking simulator, exactly as it says on the tin. The missions involve you trying to bust up spaceships for scrap in a semi-organized yard. If you're not careful you will absolutely get bashed by something you tried to pull off too hard with your grappling tool, or if you aren't careful about where you're cutting on a ship, you could hit a fuel line and cause a massive explosion. It's early access, obviously, and feels like it in some ways, the content is pretty barebones right now, but it's fun as gently caress to just bounce around in outer space and cut up old spaceships.

I pulled out a chair so hard it trick shot me into an incinerator, good game.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
Keep in mind that nuclear subs were originally designed back when there was Arctic sea ice, and so they were expected to be able to penetrate the ice sheet during surfacing. So part of the hull may be flash-cooled to -100 F at a time when it needs to be very strong.

I mean the tester is probably right that they should phase out that requirement since the sea ice will be gone within our lifetime but still there's a whole process for that that she should have followed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
But where will we land the Firefox?!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

shame on an IGA posted:

This is something I've always made a conscious effort to stay aware of whenever I've had to fly: No matter how lovely the experience, I am renting literal wizard powers for only the cost of a few days or weeks worth of income.

Mansa Musa ain't got poo poo on the lowliest JetBlue passenger.

Same here. I have real big anxiety issues with airports and security, but the actual flying part turns me into a buck toothed 9 year old who can’t stop grinning til there’s too many clouds and I can’t see the ground anymore.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sex Skeleton posted:

Keep in mind that nuclear subs were originally designed back when there was Arctic sea ice, and so they were expected to be able to penetrate the ice sheet during surfacing. So part of the hull may be flash-cooled to -100 F at a time when it needs to be very strong.

I mean the tester is probably right that they should phase out that requirement since the sea ice will be gone within our lifetime but still there's a whole process for that that she should have followed.

zedprime posted:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Sub engineer: NO YOU HAVE TO TEST IT DOWN TO 0 DEGREES KELVIN!!!

Sub tech: LOL, box goes check

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

he's just talking about the groke

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

See:

Cojawfee posted:

Someone posted the smarter every day video where Destin gets to go to a nuclear submarine. When it is surfaced, it is exposed to cold air and can get below freezing. I think he experienced -30 when he was in Alaska, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that part of the sub could get near that -100 at some point.

Given that the coldest temperatures ever reported on earth were lower than -100 I'd say it's pretty reasonable to expect it to happen at least once in the lifetime of the combined submarine fleet.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sex Skeleton posted:

See:

Given that the coldest temperatures ever reported on earth were lower than -100 I'd say it's pretty reasonable to expect it to happen at least once in the lifetime of the combined submarine fleet.

Yeah, that's cool, I just take issue with

Sex Skeleton posted:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Beef posted:

This looks extremely my jam, Thank you for linking it.

I've been playing the other OSHA: the game, Satisfactory recently, where you get to build your own osha nightmare.

You have to buy your own walkways and can fling yourself across the map with a hypertubes (Futurama-style, not musk-style). It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Being exposed to and cooling down to are two very different concepts. Suffice to say the testing would probably be more complicated if -100 self temp was actually in the operating envelope for the parts. Because of the concept of tolerance. You don't just test at operating conditions, you test beyond them. Why are people even bending over backwards to try to imagine some scenario where the USNavy is literally in Uranus.