Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Eat This Glob posted:

lol yeah gently caress cornell west

Go on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I also wouldn't hold it against Brad if he did appear on Rogan. I don't think Brad has much control over his guest spots, or if he does he doesn't exercise it much. He did Good Mythical Kitchen and some Comedy Central show in the last few months and made no attempt to hide how much he didn't want to be there either time.

The only guest spot I've seen Brad be comfortable doing was Hot Ones. It probably helped that he had already met and worked with Sean before.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Helps that Sean is one hell of a good interviewer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Good Mythical Kitchen
Are these still terrible? I watched the first 2 or 3 and couldn't stand it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I’m quite literally watching one right now and yes, they’re bad

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

I’m quite literally watching one right now and yes, they’re bad

Am I the one person that likes these?

(the answer is probably yes)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bob Morales posted:

It's a toss up, there's some interesting series and the main guy does junk food recreations but seems a bit more knowledgeable than Claire when it comes to food science and technique. The episode he had Brad on, Josh recreated Doritos seasoning and used it to dry cure salmon. So you can see why Brad was a bit out out and disgusted.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

the poster xtal said they were comfortable saying anyone who goes on rogan is bad. dr west has gone on rogan's show, so it must mean the divinity professor and quite possibly the nicest person alive is a real rear end in a top hat

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Fartington Butts posted:

Am I the one person that likes these?

(the answer is probably yes)

I like them, but I like overly involved nonsense. The "most expensive version" fast food recreations are probably my favorite. The main host dude did go a little bonkers in quarantine though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I am genuinely sorry for having started this insane derail about Joe Rogan. Not everyone who goes on Rogan is bad obviously but Rogan's uncritical platforming of everyone from Milo to Ben Shapiro to West makes his selection of guests suspect. Knowing nothing else, if someone tells me they've been on ( I know one person that's done the podcast) or even listens to the show I take the next thing they say with a grain of salt.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

I like them, but I like overly involved nonsense. The "most expensive version" fast food recreations are probably my favorite. The main host dude did go a little bonkers in quarantine though.
Yeah, Josh has gone insane quarantining himself, it's fantastic.

I'm kind of sad for them that they got a brand new kitchen just in time to film what, five episodes? before having to go into lockdown and everyone got stuck cooking in lovely apartments. The best things Josh has done in my mind are the food fears are the snack smashes, just because I too like overly involved nonsense. Also him and the other chef accidentally getting tipsy trying to make super expensive Taco Bell Mexican pizzas and knocking poo poo down in a nice restaurant was hilarious to me. It's not excellent cooking, it's basically the hungover fratboy version of a cooking show, but I'm a garbage person and this poo poo speaks to a really dumb part of my brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LWzeMGSRM4

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I've been watching for the first time some of the later Gourmet Makes and it's definitely notable how Delany pops in way more than anyone else, for literally no reason except to make little quips and mug for the camera.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Delany comes in and makes a b line for the camera. He's almost never chilling in the background before he shows up on camera.

Delita
Jan 6, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

I've been watching for the first time some of the later Gourmet Makes and it's definitely notable how Delany pops in way more than anyone else, for literally no reason except to make little quips and mug for the camera.

The video team know that Delany popping up is a staple of the show. Just look at the quarantined Gourmet Makes where they had him call in. Chris, Rhoda and Christina as well except Chris is usually cooking or seemingly cooking and Christina isn't getting paid for it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gaby wasn't being paid for her video content either. Just outrageous.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Babish made some dreadful looking sweetrolls from Skyrim.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I was going to skip it because video games but that final enormous brioche bite was hilarious.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Whalley posted:

Yeah, Josh has gone insane quarantining himself, it's fantastic.

I'm kind of sad for them that they got a brand new kitchen just in time to film what, five episodes? before having to go into lockdown and everyone got stuck cooking in lovely apartments. The best things Josh has done in my mind are the food fears are the snack smashes, just because I too like overly involved nonsense. Also him and the other chef accidentally getting tipsy trying to make super expensive Taco Bell Mexican pizzas and knocking poo poo down in a nice restaurant was hilarious to me. It's not excellent cooking, it's basically the hungover fratboy version of a cooking show, but I'm a garbage person and this poo poo speaks to a really dumb part of my brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LWzeMGSRM4

I haven't been keeping up with him during quarantine, but Josh has kinda always been a bit crazy in any videos where he's not spending significant airtime with someone he has to see at work again the next day and I've never been sure how much of it is just a bit he can't drop. I'm not surprised to hear that quarantine has caused that to get kicked up a half dozen notches.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The past few weeks my wife and I have been watching a lot of Hellthy Junk Food. They're an Orlando-based couple who rank fast food, make DIY giant versions of said fast food, occasionally travel internationally to see what fast food looks like in other countries, and do other assorted dumb challenges.

Neither of them are culinary experts, but they have a really cute relationship and really seem to enjoy each other's company. JP is a Korean who was adopted and raised by an Italian family, which makes it extra hilarious in that he simply cannot handle spicy food and starts sweating immediately. Julia is a JAP who can handle way spicier food and revels in torturing JP. She also has a better grasp of overall culinary technique, though neither of them will be on Top Chef any time soon.

They're weird (especially JP), and funny, and it's easy to binge watch their short videos (5-15 minutes each). They also have a separate channel, JP & Julia, which focuses mostly on their international non-fast food culinary escapades. They usually hire locals to bring them on food tours which is very smart, I must say. They also get recognized (particularly in Asian countries) surprisingly frequently!

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

tinytort posted:

I haven't been keeping up with him during quarantine, but Josh has kinda always been a bit crazy in any videos where he's not spending significant airtime with someone he has to see at work again the next day and I've never been sure how much of it is just a bit he can't drop. I'm not surprised to hear that quarantine has caused that to get kicked up a half dozen notches.

Oh he definitely has Adult Swim-style anti-humor poisoning. But hey it's entertaining to watch and I would say he does have quite a bit of technical skill.

The only running 'gag' I can't stand is the non-jokes about how he doesn't wash his hands/isn't careful about cleanliness. It grosses me out.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
every piece of rhett and link related media gives me big Fun Times With Youth Group vibes

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I can appreciate what josh does but he made all the "will it" episodes kind of lame since everything ends up tasting good

Half of their whole schtick was eating gross things

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I’m not really sure where the BA test kitchen goes from here. If they make an attempt to diversify it’s going to feel really forced and hollow, and if they sweep this all under the rug, and Claire is filming another Gourmet Makes in a few weeks as if nothing happened while she was away, that is going to be really messed up too.

I honestly don’t get why they didn’t try to diversify their content more anyways. Food is the one area where Americans are comfortable to stray from what they grew up with.

I also don’t think anyone from the test kitchen could leave and maintain anything close to the level of popularity they currently enjoy - they all benefit from having the rest of cast pop in to their videos or collaborating. Hoping that not too many of their viewers saw anything about what was going at BA and pretending that nothing happened is what I expect from Condé Nast. Sure they can trawl YouTube and find a black chef who fits the vibe of the test kitchen, give them a show, give Sohla a show, and pay everyone more fairly - but it’s never going to come across as genuine.

Much like with news, Buzzfeed ends up being a surprisingly good option- for food content at least- even if it’s not watching people cook. Their Worth-It series is pretty darn good and was always my fallback when the BA channel was having a boring week.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
The big big big big big problem was the forced aspect of making rick make tacos all day, while the smaller issue is the everyday white people food poo poo they have to make. They really hosed themselves by playing the "it's our prime demographic" argument by doing that.

They need a really good apology video

They need a clear and strong mission statement

Pay everyone fairly

Minorities get a show now

I mean it's doable but yeah probably really difficult at the end of the day to swallow your pride and let that happen.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TyrantWD posted:

I’m not really sure where the BA test kitchen goes from here. If they make an attempt to diversify it’s going to feel really forced and hollow, and if they sweep this all under the rug, and Claire is filming another Gourmet Makes in a few weeks as if nothing happened while she was away, that is going to be really messed up too.

I honestly don’t get why they didn’t try to diversify their content more anyways. Food is the one area where Americans are comfortable to stray from what they grew up with.

If it's anything like other social media forces I've worked with, Conde Nast is probably working from an algorithm. Everything about the video is sliced and analyzed, this host gets this many more likes and shares than that host, food from this region of the US get more watches than that region and all that. They'll apply that data to a cost/like ratio and say to themselves "Carla making an apple pie costs the same as Rick making Pork Shoulder Tacos but the apple pie gets 5% more like and shares so why bother with Mexican food." I think it's really telling that everyone assumed BA was just having the BIPOC chefs make food that matches their ethnicity when really it just looked like that because Rick and Priya had to constantly fight to let make the food they grew up with.

The BA magazine itself has a huge amount of diversity with the recipes though you might see one recipe from an issue show up 4-5 months after issue it was in hit the newsstands.

^^^^Reread what Rick said about the recipe selection process, he was doing taco recipes all the time because if he didn't fight to have them filmed there wouldn't be any Mexican recipes on the channel.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

99% sure if they "diversified" their food videos they would literally lose viewers. If Sohla and Rick's "ethnic" food videos are getting consistently less viewership than the white stuff now, why would you expect things to change?

I just feel very cynical about it all. It's ultimately a business and they'll only bend to public pressure for so long before the metrics get too real.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

TyrantWD posted:

Food is the one area where Americans are comfortable to stray from what they grew up with.

Unfortunately I don't know if this is true. When I was doing my like... "teaching how to teach" poo poo I read a statistic about how over half of college students claim not to have learned anything new about a different culture or gained understanding about cultures other than their own during their education. At first I thought this was unbelievable-- I went to a tiny liberal arts school with a majority white student body but I still learned a poo poo ton making friends from all over, taking seminars about literary traditions I wasn't familiar with, driving for hours with friends to check out kinds of cuisines that were new to me. And I work at a huge urban school with an enormous international student body, food from all over the world within walking distance, including on campus.

But I made a point to informally poll students even just on the level of food after that and was kind of shocked to learn that no, a lot of white kids won't try bulgogi even if they walk by a bulgogi cart every day, they won't poke their heads into the Ethiopian cafeteria on the first floor of the trendy bar they go to, they don't go to the FREE and really tasty Eid thing the campus has every year, they go to the cafeteria and just have pizza or grilled cheese, etc.. I think a lot of people are set in their ways and kind of myopic even about food, an area which immediately rewards going out of one's comfort zone.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They'll apply that data to a cost/like ratio and say to themselves "Carla making an apple pie costs the same as Rick making Pork Shoulder Tacos but the apple pie gets 5% more like and shares so why bother with Mexican food."

And then you have Molly eats insanely expensive ingredients: the series.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Actually it was a bit more varied than I thought. Once I peaked into the rabbit hole I felt like doing a cursory look through BA's uploads and comparing Views. Please note this is just a very surface level breakdown of the videos, Conde Nast's analytics team has many more data points to draw their conclusions from such as; time spent watching, exactly when they clicked off, whether they clicked through the ads, age/race/sex demos and viewing history(if they've sprung for some of the deeper dive analytics stemming from YouTube being tied to your Google account).

Right off the bat, obviously Gourmet Makes is their top viewed show. Average views are in the neighborhood of 5-7M with high points of 11M for Instant Ramen and 10M for Ferreros
Next highest is actually Amiel's Every Way to Cook. This almost feels like cheating because there aren't that many but they seem to really blow up virally. His egg episode generated 27M views and the Chicken episode hit 10M.
It's Alive, Chris' blindfold recreation show and Molly's learning show hover a little below this in the 2-4M per episode range, but since there's so many more and the concepts are easily repeatable they're a real workhorse for revenue generation.

Surprisingly, the (Chef) Makes (Recipe) videos are some of their lowest performing, ranging from 400K-3M. If I were to hazard a guess, it seems like the more involved recipes get a lot fewer views and if the video title contains a word that would be unfamiliar to someone they're going to assume it's more involved. Brad making a Bologna Sandwich is gonna break 3M, Molly making Mac'n'Cheese is 2.9M, Andy Makes Mushroom Larb 600K.

From looking it over it feels like the chef doing the recipe is a lot less important than the food being made, everyone has plenty of videos that bombed. I'd wager that if Sohla subbed in for Sohla on Gourmet Makes for a month the impact to viewership would be a lot smaller than you would think.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gonna get poo poo on for this, but Molly's show is absolutely awful and there's no reason it should get as many views as it does beyond her being a white attractive blond woman. Sure as poo poo I don't think it would get nearly as many views if it was Alex or Rick or even Andy hosting it. The chef makes a big difference in viewership.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I really don't think it helps that every time any sort of non-white recipe gets made there's a ton of comments from people are "that's not X they didn't do Y!".

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I have only watched the iberico ham one and thought that was pretty interesting but mostly it's because I loving LOVE dry-cured ham.

My favorite is probably Andy. Andy owns and his series is the best one. Sorry Brad, I love it's alive too.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I love Chris' show but he bombs every single recipe to a hilarious degree. I think they overestimated what a "super taster" can do.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Having experienced first hand what blind tasting is actually like, top chefs and my own tasting, it's extremely difficult to do what he does and frankly he's very very good at it.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Grem posted:

I love Chris' show but he bombs every single recipe to a hilarious degree. I think they overestimated what a "super taster" can do.

It's easy to armchair quarterback.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Molly is there for the Princess demographic.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Steve Yun posted:

Princess demographic.

Explain?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

That goddamn gumbo video.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

droll posted:

Having experienced first hand what blind tasting is actually like, top chefs and my own tasting, it's extremely difficult to do what he does and frankly he's very very good at it.

I honestly think he does as best a human can do but I think they set that show up expecting he's going to nail everything. It's not Chris I'm critical of here, it's the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Grem posted:

I don’t know what you’re watching but he comes much closer than I expect in nearly every video.