Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
didnt know scott was based on a real person but big yikes

https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/1272957437876727809?s=20
https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/1272958556598202368?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kate Leth's posts on this are pretty harrowing

https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/1272937408917430272

https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/1272924704995606528

Jesus loving christ. Time to get rid of my Batgirl of Burnside trades.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think BLOM has really hidden that Scott Pilgrim is at least tangentially based on real people he knew. Comeaux is straight-up one of his friends and failed his audition to play himself in the movie. A lot of the locations in the comic are real places - I have acquaintances who lived next door to Scott's apartment.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Jesus loving christ. Time to get rid of my Batgirl of Burnside trades.

While this is definitely legit, and I'd never question someone for removing poo poo from their lives, Kate herself has talked about how the other creators are great. That's a real challenge in this medium when so much of what gets produced is collaborative.

That's why it's so important for people in positions of authority to actually do something when people act like this.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think BLOM has really hidden that Scott Pilgrim is at least tangentially based on real people he knew. Comeaux is straight-up one of his friends and failed his audition to play himself in the movie. A lot of the locations in the comic are real places - I have acquaintances who lived next door to Scott's apartment.

Wait, Joey Comeaux? I know/knew him, and I can totally see that.

Jordan7hm posted:

While this is definitely legit, and I'd never question someone for removing poo poo from their lives, Kate herself has talked about how the other creators are great. That's a real challenge in this medium when so much of what gets produced is collaborative.

That's why it's so important for people in positions of authority to actually do something when people act like this.

Yea, in one of Kate's tweets she straight up says people knew this and why didn't they say anything, and how she's gotten support from creators but none of them have disowned the perpetrators.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/ales_kot/status/1272984583240208384
https://twitter.com/ales_kot/status/1272987215707074560
https://twitter.com/ales_kot/status/1272993518521184256
https://twitter.com/ales_kot/status/1272994383780929537

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, Joey Comeaux? I know/knew him, and I can totally see that.

Yea, in one of Kate's tweets she straight up says people knew this and why didn't they say anything, and how she's gotten support from creators but none of them have disowned the perpetrators.

Sorry, I misspelled it. It's Comeau. Michael Comeau. He knows you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

On the lighter side, Ethan had something of a meltdown with his own 'War Campaign' dorks. I won't link to it for the at least one slur he drops, but he is not having a good time of it. You hate to see it.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008
For whatever this is worth,

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Endless Mike posted:

Sorry, I misspelled it. It's Comeau. Michael Comeau. He knows you.

Oh okay. Because I know a guy by the name I said that is exactly like that, and even had a Lawyer Roomate. "Lawyer" as in graduated law school but wasn't working.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
we're gonna need an xls

https://twitter.com/meyrude/status/1272989997155508224?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/DonCardenasArt/status/1272996794839052288

Some of these were news to me. Lobdell for one, Harras for another. Gary Groth as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Ellis tweets are gone, does anyone have then backed up?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Another Warren Ellis thread has hit the building.

https://twitter.com/theremina/status/1272956548931706880?s=21

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

Some of these were news to me. Lobdell for one, Harras for another. Gary Groth as well.

Groth surprises me not one bit.

Farinas and Pope are the two names that popped out to me but honestly nothing really surprises me.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Len posted:

The Ellis tweets are gone, does anyone have then backed up?

Here is her full tweet thread? Whatever it's called.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 17, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Here's some details on the (first) Scott Lobdell story, from 2013, and then a second pseudonymous story from 2016 that was later identified as Lobdell.

Here is a 2016 blog post about Paul Pope that did not result in much discussion beyond an initial burst.

The Ulises Farinas thing I don't think ever got expounded upon outside of this thread, but I may be wrong.

Bob Harras and Gary Groth I don't think I've ever seen anything detailed on, though it may just be that they have both repeatedly defended/continued to work with other people on the list; Harras with his decades-long patronage of Lobdell and refusal to act on complaints about Berganza, Groth with... well... [waves hand at the Canon of Neurotic White Men In Art Comics, from Crumb onwards]. I don't know of any specific accusations towards either of them personally, but someone please correct me if I'm missing them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
e&c, youve been less overly chudly for the last year or two and id like to think youve gotten better so im just gonna ask you to reflect on your last, well they only knew about and covered up sex crimes paragraph

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Max Bemis!?

https://thehardtimes.net/blog/we-spoke-to-a-pop-punk-frontman-who-isnt-creepy-update-oh-no/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I remember the Brian Wood stuff broke right after he'd started writing Adjectiveless X-Men and his team was the first all women team and the first appearance of a not terrible Psylocke costume.

I really loving hope nothing bad comes out about Zdarsky, he's the only straight white male writer right now that would be a complete shock.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Kate Leth's answer to Jamie McElvie's tweet in solidarity was worrisome, as in it seemed he was still good friends with someone who harrassed her.

I wasn't much of a fan of Stewart and it doesn't surprise me from Ellis, but at this point it is getting very hard to root for men in this industry, even if they themselves have done nothing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

radlum posted:

Kate Leth's answer to Jamie McElvie's tweet in solidarity was worrisome, as in it seemed he was still good friends with someone who harrassed her.

I wasn't much of a fan of Stewart and it doesn't surprise me from Ellis, but at this point it is getting very hard to root for men in this industry, even if they themselves have done nothing.

I think Gillen and McKelvie are both pretty close with Warren Ellis

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

radlum posted:

where the links at tho

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I think Gillen and McKelvie are both pretty close with Warren Ellis

There’s that whole network that came out of his forums, isn’t there?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Christ almighty. It hurts to find out that my favourite comic writer is such a bad person. And it hurts even more to see just how many people he has abused over the years.

Why, Warren? :smith:

e: https://twitter.com/Theremina/status/1272956548931706880

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 17, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

site posted:

e&c, youve been less overly chudly for the last year or two and id like to think youve gotten better so im just gonna ask you to reflect on your last, well they only knew about and covered up sex crimes paragraph
Great to hear I haven't been "overly chudly" lately but I was not excusing "they only knew and covered up sex crimes" as much as differentiating two lists of bad people, with the latter feeling like a separate (and considerably larger) list of people who should be added besides Harras and Groth but okay

To clarify further and use Bob Harras as an example, he has absolutely been someone who has given work to Scott Lobdell over the years, and he also was part of the DC leadership that slow-walked Eddie Berganza's firing. Both of these are bad. But he's just one person within the editorial/publishing/power network that did all of these things (and sadly probably some other things I am forgetting). So is Dan Didio, so is Jim Lee, who took both Lobdell and Harras in to Wildstorm when they fell out of favor at Marvel at the turn of the century. I have never heard any claims or statements that make Harras more culpable or directly involved with these decisions than Didio or Lee (or Bobbie Chase or Mike Carlin or Diane Nelson or anyone else who may have had a decision making role at the time), so while all of them share blame for fostering the environment at DC that exists, only having one of them on the list seems odd, which is why I pointed out that if there is more information about Harras out there, I'd appreciate someone correcting my statement/filling in the blank.

Likewise, Gary Groth is a cranky old white dude who publishes/defends R. Crumb and probably some other people I am forgetting. That is bad, and it's also sadly non-unique in the field, so having him and not (say) Art Spiegelman or Denis Kitchen on the list for same seems odd, which is why I wanted to know if he'd done something above and beyond that. None of this constitutes supporting or laughing off the behavior I described.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 17, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everyone's so grody.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bleargh goddammit people stop being so awful.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That Cardenas tweet is also gone now, who else was listed?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jay Eddington has a tweet that's basically "don't do it". And yea, I don't think this is some mental problem where they can't help themselves, its 100% a conscious choice to seek out and prey on young women, using their positions to gain access to them.

You can sit around and say "well society makes men want to do that!" and again, they're not forced, its not a compulsion. They know there will be no consequences, that even if they get called out, their famous and popular and she's just someone with a Deviant Art account, so who are you going to believe?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JordanKai posted:

Christ almighty. It hurts to find out that my favourite comic writer is such a bad person. And it hurts even more to see just how many people he has abused over the years.

Why, Warren? :smith:

If you haven't known that Warren Ellis was a piece of poo poo since at least 2008, you haven't been paying attention.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I know I haven't. I don't really pay attention to most concise these days, let alone behind the scenes stuff. Glad I know now Warren is a piece of poo poo, but man as Planetary's number one fan that suuuucks. gently caress you Ellis.

*Comics. Damnit auto correct.

CrcleSqreSanchz fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 17, 2020

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I know I haven't. I don't really pay attention to most concise these days, let alone behind the scenes stuff. Glad I know now Warren is a piece of poo poo, but man as Planetary's number one fan that suuuucks. gently caress you Ellis.

I've downsized my collection a lot over the past 20 years, to the point where the only Ellis books I still own are the Planetary TPBs. And dammit, I love them and don't want to get rid of them on principle, just like how L.A. Confidential is still one of my Top Five favorite movies of all time, despite the presence of Kevin Spacey.

But I used to be on the original Warren Ellis Forums, and he had this whole "Filthy Assistants" schtick with his all-female moderators, who he treated like a virtual harem. I'm disappointed, but I can't say this is a big surprise to me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

At least now I don't have to do the whole "is it Ellis or Ennis that is the bad one" anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's both?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dawgstar posted:

tweet deleted, what'd it say

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It's both?

Right.

I loved Transmetropolitan, so I kept looking for Ellis books every once in a while, and would keep getting tricked by Ennis (and getting horrid poo poo like that Secret Wars tie-in he did). Now I don't have to worry about getting the wrong E**is since they're both not worth giving money to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I will never sell my Hitman trades but I won't ever buy anything new by Ennis. Same for my copies of Planetary. I will probably never read them but I will keep them on a shelf and not give Ellis any money ever again.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Barry Convex posted:

tweet deleted, what'd it say

It was a list of confirmed sexpests in the comics industry.

Looks like at least McKelvie has had to come to terms with his blind spots in Ellis. It's even sadder he's been with Katie for as long as he has and this was never discussed. (That's more an indictment on how we treat women and victims of abuse than him.)

https://twitter.com/McKelvie/status/1273261974500016129?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a stand up dude. gently caress professional relationships, you stand by your partner and cut ties with the pieces of poo poo.