Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Vegemite spreads better but Marmite tastes better.

[edit] 103 is such a fascinating number that Googling it gives me lots of facts about 104.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/HeftyLeftie/status/1273225482549501952?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The normal use of the phrase in the UK is "carrying coals to newcastle" and indicates something that is stupid to do.
Because you'll get robbed in Sunderland before you get there.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Fudge. Fudge! FUDGE!!

After our busiest month so far, we're back with some new flavours to stick in your faceholes and enjoy!

New flavours for July delivery!

We're back, with some new flavours to enjoy as we stagger into summer.

Original Vanilla: Traditional and delicious!

Dark Chocolate: By special request; the same recipe as our popular milk chocolate, but with high cocoa percentage dark chocolate swapped in!

Strawberries and Cream: Wimbledon may not be happening this year, but here's its iconic flavour in fudge form!

Chocolate Orange: It’s chocolate, it’s orange, it’s delicious! What’s more to say?

Apple Pie: Rich spiced fudge combined with dried apple for a delicious flavour burst. Hugely popular in limited release, now available for everyone!

All bags of fudge cost £3.50; get a box of five for £15! Postage costs for up to a kilogram are £3.55; for larger orders please ask. 🙂

As always, please drop us a personal message here, at fb.me/fudjit or to Fudjit.orders@gmail.com to place an order. Payment is accepted via PayPal or direct bank transfer 🙂

All orders will ship by July 23rd (due to variable post office opening times an exact date cannot be given)

Goon Special!

This month's special goon flavour is in honour of our beloved, wonderful Prime Minister, who I'm sure we all agree is an angel sent from the heavens who can do no wrong. It is of course, The Eton Mess!

The Eton Mess: Combining dried strawberries, crushed meringue and clotted cream fudge for a truly decadent flavour and texture combination. It's also rich, thick and unhealthy. :D

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Wachter posted:

de Pfeffelland Bozquito

e: are we still doing catte tax? Catte tax:

We always need catte tax :D

Why isn't he polishing a glass in the bar shot? According to my tv shows that's what barmen do when noone is ordering drinks (never see barwomen doing it). Maybe he is a girl cat.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Speaking of nukes, watching a thunderstorm approaching on https://www.lightningmaps.org/ gives a very Protect and Survive vibe.

Ha. I happened to see Morocco while shrinking the map and noticed a sort of 'coptic, greek, ethiopian, cyrillic' type script and just spent 10 minutes discovering the neo-Tifinagh alphabet. Who knew! (Ed: and that would be confusing because none of the letters sound like the cyrillic / greek look alikes. Don't know enough about the Coptic/Ethiopian to know about those).

OwlFancier posted:

It was actually the foreign office leaving confectionary at the patriotism cube and he is trying to source the correct materials to activate churchill.

I was going to say something like that but you beat me to it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 17, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/NoContextPMQ/status/1273202629032763392?s=20

somehow I've never actually seen this as a video, it's so ridiculous I thought someone must have done a silly dub over it

they deffo hosed had some late night IT training sessions

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I genuinely cannot imagine why anyone would want to shag boris and doubly cannot understand why they would want to be nice to him afterwards.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can't think of a more suitable symbol for Modern International Britain than a European project we didn't deign to join because we were going to buy something from the US to replace our Jet Age vintage tanker fleet, then when we got hosed over on that we blustered in at the very last minute demanding loads of changes at great expense (via, of course, a completely pointless PFI) but which is still useless for a big chunk of the role we bought it for because we bought a load of other shonky poo poo from the States and so we refitted at great expense to do a job that the civilian version of the plane can do at literally a tenth of the cost, with a Union Jack ostentatiously slapped all over it.

I had to wait for 5 hours at Brize Norton once because the pilot pranged the Airbus into the mobile stairs. Unclear if it was a civilian pilot or a Crab.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are all crustacean pilots military?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

XMNN posted:

https://twitter.com/NoContextPMQ/status/1273202629032763392?s=20

somehow I've never actually seen this as a video, it's so ridiculous I thought someone must have done a silly dub over it

they deffo hosed had some late night IT training sessions

This genuinely looks like something out of a mockumentary TV show. I think it's the camera being partially obscured and the focus going in and out.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, Benthic Treaty innit.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

I had to wait for 5 hours at Brize Norton once because the pilot pranged the Airbus into the mobile stairs. Unclear if it was a civilian pilot or a Crab.

I flew into Brize Norton once in 1974 - dad was based in Germany and I was out at school there (BFES) until family accommodation became available for mum & siblings to move over, and we had an emergency flight home in a Hercules to BN for some reason which I can't recall now - not a family death so probably one of those things that adults worry about and kids don't get to hear about. The seats faced the rear of the plane apparently for parachutists' convenience and it felt weird.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

OwlFancier posted:

Yes (it is a somewhat pathetic pejorative term for RAF)

There is a good story about one of the RAF Voyager/Airbus pilots who brought his camera into the cockpit. When he moved his seat forward it trapped the camera between the armrest and the control stick, sending the plane into a nosedive. Great job!

https://www.theregister.com/2017/02/07/raf_voyager_zz333_flt_lt_andrew_townshend_court_martial/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Filboid Studge posted:

Yeah, Benthic Treaty innit.

I don't see what utilitarianism has to do with it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Camrath posted:

Apple Pie: Rich spiced fudge combined with dried apple for a delicious flavour burst. Hugely popular in limited release, now available for everyone!

Got some feedback on the recipe from the marental unit. She says "a bit too much clove and not quite enough cinnamon". Take that for what it's worth.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jedit posted:

Got some feedback on the recipe from the marental unit. She says "a bit too much clove and not quite enough cinnamon". Take that for what it's worth.

Duly noted!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

stev posted:

This genuinely looks like something out of a mockumentary TV show. I think it's the camera being partially obscured and the focus going in and out.

I was thinking of the one that people were were responding to starmer with where they're both sat at a computer and the lady says "well you could if you tried" and the guy says "no I can't" or something angrily

unfortunately I could not find it, but when I was looking I did find Rob Delaney tweeting dril at him

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1269951727832313856?s=20

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I flew into Brize Norton once in 1974 - dad was based in Germany and I was out at school there (BFES) until family accommodation became available for mum & siblings to move over, and we had an emergency flight home in a Hercules to BN for some reason which I can't recall now - not a family death so probably one of those things that adults worry about and kids don't get to hear about. The seats faced the rear of the plane apparently for parachutists' convenience and it felt weird.

May have been a VC-10? They had rear facing seats. Hercules have incredibly poo poo canvas seats that face to the sides in longitudinal rows, at least when I've flown on them. It's also really loud and tbh I wouldn't put a kid in there for long. May have been different in 1974!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

XMNN posted:

I was thinking of the one that people were were responding to starmer with where they're both sat at a computer and the lady says "well you could if you tried" and the guy says "no I can't" or something angrily

unfortunately I could not find it, but when I was looking I did find Rob Delaney tweeting dril at him

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1269951727832313856?s=20

He's a loving waste of skin and he's treating the solution as the cause. You start from the position of "Colston should have been removed years ago" and you put the blame on the people who wouldn't, not on the people who took action because of that.

But of course, that would mean blaming his fellow Tories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"I agree with the sentiment but the method was wrong" is almost a direct quote of MLK complaining about the white moderate lol.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

May have been a VC-10? They had rear facing seats. Hercules have incredibly poo poo canvas seats that face to the sides in longitudinal rows, at least when I've flown on them. It's also really loud and tbh I wouldn't put a kid in there for long. May have been different in 1974!

Quite possibly. Dad said it was a Hercules but then he wouldn't really know, he wasn't airforce. It was an emergency flight and took place very late at night so maybe that's why.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
starmer's attitude to opposition is more like this imo

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

XMNN posted:

got you covered. it is actually starmer

https://twitter.com/Sarah_Woolley/status/1271008488907509761

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's incredible. I thought it was from one of the bad series' of The Thick of It or something.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

peanut- posted:

I'm sorry but he has to be parody

Julio Cruz posted:

can we put Darren Grimes on thread moratorium like we did with Weetman

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm eating a crisp sandwich for lunch because why not and I just remembered someone itt many moons ago describing them as the quintessential British food - fatty carbs sandwiched between carbs smeared with fat. :britain:

edit: cheese and onion McCoys, for those wondering.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

a pipe smoking dog posted:

lol apparently the two British people who are valiantly trying to re-infect New Zealand met some friends and didn't tell anyone about it.

We should be banned from leaving this terrible island.

You may have a little faith in the country back:

quote:

The pair were released early from government quarantine and permitted to drive from the city of Auckland to Wellington, the capital – nearly 650km away – before being diagnosed or even tested, health officials said.

Their trip was an approved exemption from the mandatory isolation period for new arrivals to the country in order to visit a dying parent. The women had “done everything right” and had not put other members of the public at risk, said Ashley Bloomfield, New Zealand’s director-general of health, on Tuesday.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

stev posted:

That's incredible. I thought it was from one of the bad series' of The Thick of It or something.

its from the mclibel film

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hey friends, I'm trying to help my partner fight back against some blatant wage theft by her employer and I'm hoping you can help me check my working.

My partner was put on furlough 3 April and has been back at work since 1 June. The only communication from the employer asking her back to work was a phone call from her manager on 29 May, in which he also asked if she’d be willing to take payment in lieu of 9 days’ holiday because business business profits profits :cry: My partner agreed because extra money is a lot more useful than extra time off right now, but she thought it sounded shady and asked for confirmation in writing (which mysteriously never arrived)

Today, she got in touch with HR to ask about her paycheck and surprise surprise, it turns out that “100% pay for 9 days’ holiday” actually means “we retroactively declared 9 furlough days as holiday and topped up the pay for those days to 100%”. I’ve told her to email HR clearly stating that’s not what she was told, not what she agreed to, and to ask them to confirm those days will not be considered holiday. (And if they refuse, that she should go to an employment lawyer.)

Am I right in feeling that this ‘retroactive holiday’ thing is legally bullshit and that it’s something a lawyer can take action over? Her boss is absolutely a gaslighting oval office who she’s already put in one formal complaint about (and who asked her to do some work while on furlough as well), so I have no problem believing this is a deliberate scheme to con people out of their holiday days while also getting the government to cover most of the holiday pay.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If she has an email from her boss asking her to work while on furlough then HMRC might be quite interested in that :v:

If she needs something to twist their arm a bit.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

TACD posted:

Hey friends, I'm trying to help my partner fight back against some blatant wage theft by her employer and I'm hoping you can help me check my working.

My partner was put on furlough 3 April and has been back at work since 1 June. The only communication from the employer asking her back to work was a phone call from her manager on 29 May, in which he also asked if she’d be willing to take payment in lieu of 9 days’ holiday because business business profits profits :cry: My partner agreed because extra money is a lot more useful than extra time off right now, but she thought it sounded shady and asked for confirmation in writing (which mysteriously never arrived)

Today, she got in touch with HR to ask about her paycheck and surprise surprise, it turns out that “100% pay for 9 days’ holiday” actually means “we retroactively declared 9 furlough days as holiday and topped up the pay for those days to 100%”. I’ve told her to email HR clearly stating that’s not what she was told, not what she agreed to, and to ask them to confirm those days will not be considered holiday. (And if they refuse, that she should go to an employment lawyer.)

Am I right in feeling that this ‘retroactive holiday’ thing is legally bullshit and that it’s something a lawyer can take action over? Her boss is absolutely a gaslighting oval office who she’s already put in one formal complaint about (and who asked her to do some work while on furlough as well), so I have no problem believing this is a deliberate scheme to con people out of their holiday days while also getting the government to cover most of the holiday pay.

Yes this sounds extremely suspect and probably illegal.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Prince John posted:

You may have a little faith in the country back:

That was yesterday, this morning (or I suppose yesterday evening in NZ) it emerged they had broken with the agreed plan and popped in on some friends on the way.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

communism bitch posted:

I'm eating a crisp sandwich for lunch because why not and I just remembered someone itt many moons ago describing them as the quintessential British food - fatty carbs sandwiched between carbs smeared with fat. :britain:

Crisps belong in basically every sandwich, this is the key to fine dining. Butter, pickle, cheese, sandwich meat of choice + crisps of choice *chefs kiss*

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

That was yesterday, this morning (or I suppose yesterday evening in NZ) it emerged they had broken with the agreed plan and popped in on some friends on the way.

Ah sheeit. We're still terrrible then. :(

quote:

In a news release on Wednesday night, the health ministry said “additional information” had revealed the women got lost driving out of Auckland and met briefly with the friends who had loaned them their car, to get directions. The women and their friends had “limited physical contact” for about five minutes.

Hopefully the damage is somewhat limited.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jedit posted:

Since my feedback was "holy poo poo that's a lot of cinnamon" they might cancel each other out... But OTOH I didn't realise half of that flavour was clove so my palate is presumably inferior.

Mind you, I would happily scarf a kg of the stuff exactly as it was.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

communism bitch posted:

I wonder if you could deep fry that?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

The Hercules did have a long-range passenger transport configuration that was basically old Dehavilland Comet seats welded to the standard sized pallets NATO use for air transport. I'd guess they could install them any old way they wanted.

Presumably also if the squaddies got too rambunctious in the back they had the option to open the rear door and just push them out, altitude optional.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

TACD posted:

Workers could be required to take holiday while on furlough but they had to be notified of this in advance so yes there's no retroactive holidays while furloughed.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

Ah sheeit. We're still terrrible then. :(

Hopefully the damage is somewhat limited.

If you wanna quarantine people you keep them locked up - in a five star hotel with room service if need be.

No exceptions because people can't be trusted and they will lie. If the UK govt had treated quarantine with the same enthusiasm as it treats "benefit scroungers" and immigrants we would be disease free by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

TACD posted:

This all sounds super fishy IMO.

Firstly, and putting furloughing completely to one side, it's not legally possible for her to consent to give up days of holiday for pay in lieu, unless she has a generous holiday allocation over and above the statutory minimum, or she's leaving the job. link

quote:

Getting paid instead of taking holidays

The only time someone can get paid in place of taking statutory leave (known as ‘payment in lieu’) is when they leave their job. Employers must pay for untaken statutory leave, even if the worker is dismissed for gross misconduct.

If an employer offers more than 5.6 weeks’ annual leave, they can agree separate arrangements for the extra leave.

So if she's received money in lieu of statutory holiday, they're already breaking the law.

It's not entirely clear to me whether the retroactive 9 days of furlough are before 1 June or you mean 9 days starting when she went back to work?
If it's the latter, it's not permitted for them to ask her to work while receiving furlough money, so fairly clear cut I think.
If it's the former, there are a couple of things going wrong here.

Firstly, she should be accruing her normal holiday entitlement during the furlough period, maybe just check they're not screwing her over on that front also. link.

quote:

Workers who have been placed on furlough continue to accrue statutory holiday entitlements, and any additional holiday provided for under their employment contract.

Secondly, your partner is entitled to take holiday as normal during the furlough period without issue for the company claiming furlough so there's nothing controversial in itself about arranging to take designated holiday days.

quote:

Workers on furlough can take holiday without disrupting their furlough.

The real problem here though is that companies can't retroactively declare that you've been on holiday when you weren't.

quote:

Employers can: require workers to take holiday
<snip>
The required notice periods are:
double the length of the holiday if the employer wishes to require a worker to take holiday on particular days
the length of the planned holiday if the employer wishes to cancel a worker’s holiday or require the worker not to take holiday on particular dates

Employers can ask workers to take or cancel holiday with less notice but need the workers’ agreement to do so.

These notice periods are in advance of the first day of the holiday, and the notice must be given before the notice period starts. For example, if an employer wanted to prevent a worker taking a week’s holiday, they would have to give notice earlier than 1 week before the first day of the holiday. For the purposes of calculating the notice period, any uninterrupted period of holiday counts as a single period. These rules on notice periods can be altered by a binding written agreement between the employer and the worker.

and the guidance for taking holiday during furlough specifically says

quote:

The notice requirements for their employer requiring a worker to take leave or to refuse a request for leave continue to apply. Employers should engage with their workforce and explain reasons for wanting them to take leave before requiring them to do so.

So given the notice periods still apply, and it's clear your partner didn't consent to this retroactive taking of holiday for that 9 day period, it looks like they'd be breaking the law under this scenario too.

(Obligatory IANAL disclaimer :) )

Prince John fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 17, 2020