Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

spend less on rent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Ghostnuke posted:

I didn't feel like spending any money so I just built one out of stuff I had laying around. H

Looks good and that's pretty much my set up. If your looking for some gear to keep everything attached safely in your boat. Hit up the thrift stores and buy a bunch of spiral/ stretchable power chargers and put springy clips on each side. Makes for a super cheap and effective way to keep your gear safe and secured.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Rythe posted:

Looks good and that's pretty much my set up. If your looking for some gear to keep everything attached safely in your boat. Hit up the thrift stores and buy a bunch of spiral/ stretchable power chargers and put springy clips on each side. Makes for a super cheap and effective way to keep your gear safe and secured.

Ha, already done. I took the ones off the backpack I had been using and tied on my scissors and forceps.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

titties posted:

spend less on rent

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Time posted:

titties posted:

spend less on rent

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
its 4:45am and im once again fishing the cape canal and i just watched two 60 year old men get into a fistfight over a spot. this poo poo is ridiculous, i better catch a 40 inch bass to make up for it

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
live update: the guy next to me hooked up and u shaped his rod and it snapped in half. im bad at fishing but maybe so is everyone

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Good old High-Stick Harry

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
landed a 35inch striper and got tail slapped so hard in the face it might bruise. worth it, felt like a white shark when it hit my popper

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What’s your slot size?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

LingcodKilla posted:

What’s your slot size?

28-35", assuming thats not regional slang for something else. I put that guy back in the water because it was just such a cool fish I didnt want to kill it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Time posted:

28-35", assuming thats not regional slang for something else. I put that guy back in the water because it was just such a cool fish I didnt want to kill it

Just don’t say you poppered a floppy in your slot and it’s all good.

Nice catch man. Good job.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Time posted:

I really love hearing people say things like this. Seeing those pics of the Florida catch getting smaller and smaller seriously fucks with my memories of handling fish poorly over the years.

https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2014/02/05/257046530/big-fish-stories-getting-littler

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’ve seen that article before and yeah it’s devastating. Slot size keepers is a solid practice with some good data coming out.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I really love hearing people say things like this. Seeing those pics of the Florida catch getting smaller and smaller seriously fucks with my memories of handling fish poorly over the years.

https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2014/02/05/257046530/big-fish-stories-getting-littler

This makes me really sad. Thank you for sharing it

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

my one spot not socked in by rain today (first place I went wasn't, and then the storm grew westward as I unpacked) is more or less covered by a mass of floating vegetation and at any given time there are at least three gar breaking the surface. Weather to feed or because of depleted oxygen, I don't know.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Finally on the board for 2020, broke my lake skunk. I followed that dude's advice and went to the spot he said, sure enough there were a ton of white bass/wiper there.

I pretty much only caught ones that were just big enough to eat, but I saw some people pulling some sizeable fish out of the same area. I'm guessing they were fishing that dropoff for the big ones. Anyway, I brought some home and they're cooking right now, so I'm happy.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ghostnuke posted:

Finally on the board for 2020, broke my lake skunk. I followed that dude's advice and went to the spot he said, sure enough there were a ton of white bass/wiper there.

I pretty much only caught ones that were just big enough to eat, but I saw some people pulling some sizeable fish out of the same area. I'm guessing they were fishing that dropoff for the big ones. Anyway, I brought some home and they're cooking right now, so I'm happy.

Dik Hz posted:

I would target walleye on those dropoff just northeast of ramp 7 with leeches on a 1/4 oz chartreuse jig head. I'd drift from 12-30', constantly keeping your bait a foot or two off the bottom, jigging for action. Look for and target rocky bottom areas.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

lol I forgot about that. I didn't see any walleye though, just bigass whites/wipers

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

It's a good sign when you pull up to a fishing spot and dead/putrefying flounder and drum are floating past, right?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Free burley?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:frogsiren:ALERT:frogsiren:ALERT:frogsiren:

Kobolds just dropped a sick newbie fisherperson care package on me including some of his homemade weights and jig heads :neckbeard:

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd

Thanks a bunch, seriously.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

the yeti posted:

Kobolds just dropped a sick newbie fisherperson care package on me including some of his homemade weights and jig heads :neckbeard:

:tipshat: Glad I could help! Let me know how they treat you, especially the ned rigs with Owner hooks :getin:

If anybody needs anything that I can help with, as always feel free to hit me up.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I've pondered your spreadsheet a bunch of times but I don't know enough to know what I want :downs:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

I've pondered your spreadsheet a bunch of times but I don't know enough to know what I want :downs:

I'm always down to answer questions if I can! And I'm always down to send packages of things that people don't know that they wanted.

Are you tying flies these days? One day I'll actually have new content for the fly tying & tacklecraft thread. The coated wires for the dicktrolls I want to make STILL haven't arrived! :v:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
That’s really awesome!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I'm always down to answer questions if I can! And I'm always down to send packages of things that people don't know that they wanted.

Are you tying flies these days? One day I'll actually have new content for the fly tying & tacklecraft thread. The coated wires for the dicktrolls I want to make STILL haven't arrived! :v:

I'm being lazy and not checking the sheet... do you have molds for jigging spoons?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

the yeti posted:

5g is only 1/6 of an ounce. If you want to go deeper, you'll have use a beefier lure. Size matters.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm being lazy and not checking the sheet... do you have molds for jigging spoons?

Not specifically, but the molds do exists. I can make zonar blade lures which could be jigged, otherwise here's the Do-It Jigging Spoon mold. The Hammered Spoon and the Casting Spoon would be useful to have as well. I haven't bought molds in a while, so I'm tempted.

Oh, and I have a mold for 6oz Diamond Lures, provided by forums user LingcodKilla for activities related to his username. Not sure if you're looking for something that heavy, though.

Dik Hz posted:

5g is only 1/6 of an ounce. If you want to go deeper, you'll have use a beefier lure. Size matters.

:wink:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Not specifically, but the molds do exists. I can make zonar blade lures which could be jigged, otherwise here's the Do-It Jigging Spoon mold. The Hammered Spoon and the Casting Spoon would be useful to have as well. I haven't bought molds in a while, so I'm tempted.

Oh, and I have a mold for 6oz Diamond Lures, provided by forums user LingcodKilla for activities related to his username. Not sure if you're looking for something that heavy, though.

The hammered one is not bad, what about flutter style?

A 6 oz jig would probably sink my boat.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Stole this guy from a seal. 28”, set home free but I’m pretty sure one of the 300 seals on the beach got him after

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

IAre you tying flies these days? One day I'll actually have new content for the fly tying & tacklecraft thread. The coated wires for the dicktrolls I want to make STILL haven't arrived! :v:

I haven't been, but should be. Was going to get some proper instruction as part of that Project Healing Waters class after we finished our rods; alas that's all on hold because of covid. I've got a small supply of basic ones from last year that have been holding me over.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

the yeti posted:

just dickin' for shad

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

My girlfriend hasn't been fishing in like a decade but expressed interest, so I thought this was a good reason to try baitcasting and give her my spinning reel.

Watching some tutorials, it doesn't seem too difficult as long as I'm not trying to launch baits to the horizon at first. The biggest technique seems to be thumbing the line before the bait hits the water. I've been doing similar with my spinning reel for ages to get a bait to drop where I want, so maybe I won't get a birds nest my first cast. I guess we'll see on Sunday when I can go casting for the first time. :rip:

Edit: Any recommendations for a small net? I mainly shore fish and I've lost a couple fish near shore cuz I couldn't get a good hold on them in time. A net would be great in that situation, but I don't want a super bulky, long handled, deep netted thing.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 19, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Just accept that you're going to birds nest it eventually. Its just part of using that reel. Also be proactive in using the brake dial and tension knob to dial in your cast. Its so rewarding when you get it dialed in and make that perfect bomb cast that you drop in dead where you want. :shobon:

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Went back to the catfish spot and it produced some 4 and 5 lb fish. I've checked the tide schedule and I'm taking the kids on Monday. There will be a little beach and they are going to poop their pants when they catch a "big" fish. So far it's been panfish and small bass for them.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Actually thinking about selling my baitcaster and getting another spinning setup this summer. Just haven't really been able to do anything with my baitcaster that I couldn't do with a spinning set up, except for waste a lot of time on the water loving with it.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Bait casters are my nemesis, I can drop a fly in a coffee cup but a lure with a bait caster? Lol! I haven't been out lately because whenever I walk the dogs on the beach and talk to the fisher folks nothing is biting. We're in a weird weather, salinity and water temp pattern right now.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Im the opposite, I'm almost solely a bait caster guy, mostly I like the compact feeling when I'm kayak fixing, I feel like they are just easier to use then a spinning reel on the kayak. Though when I'm bank fishing I love my spinning reels, so much easier and alot less to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I like my baitcaster for sightcasting or when I’m trying to hit very specific spots and then I have a huge spinning setup for bombing home runs into the wind on the beach without having to worry about a backlash