Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Yeah, but turns out the Dark One isn't really interested in giving his Chosen an actual leg up in the fight.

e:

reminder though that Gholam can Travel, and Myrddraal can basically teleport.

And Drakghar can fly.

It's basically only trollocs that have a major limitation in their movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Do darkhounds and grey men have some way to fast travel?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I figured they would have tried to cleanse the ways. Guess when you can bend time and space it don’t matter too much. Maybe that should have been their only way to fast travel instead of gateways.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

bloom posted:

Grey men are still people, so they can Travel. Darkhounds can't.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

bloom posted:

I don't think so, since they both seem to have had a problem getting through doors, although darkhounds can outrun a horse and seemingly never tire.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
Darkhounds can come back together as liquid like the T-1000 so maybe they can zoom around in liquid form like Alex Mack!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Darkhounds are faster than horses and, if I recall correctly, tireless or nearly so. They can get where they're needed quickly enough.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Darkhounds and the Draghakar are easily the two nastiest varieties of shadowspawn for me. Trollocs are nasty clearly, Myrddraal while obv imposing are still mostly people. The Grey Men are only dangerous because they kinda hide from your senses, but those two are not the ones I'd want to get caught by. Crazy killing spit, and the ability to suck your soul out? Nah pass

vvv Aww poo poo forgot about them since they're so rare, but yes they are also horrific.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 17, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’d be way more scared of an invincible gholam that had a hard on for you.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zore posted:

I still think the funniest arbitrary rule about Gateways is that they just instantly kill any shadowspawn who go through them. Its just so blatantly an 'oh gently caress I don't want to deal with Forsaken travelling armies of Trollocs everywhere' patch.

Also in universe it seems like an insane design flaw Aginor, especially in the AoL.

I imagine it's an intentional design choice, because the worst enemies of the Chosen(aside from Lews Therin) were always the other Chosen. I imagine that "Demandred cannot trivially flood my research lab with Trollocs" was something Aginor considered to be a good thing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that's consistently one of my favorite aspects of the series. it turns out a literal loving league of villains, even under the command of a head honcho, can not and will not work together in a meaningful way because to the surprise of no one a bunch of people willing to follow Basically Satan aren't fundamentally well-adjusted people.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

And all of that because Basically Satan values being a selfish dickhead over things like intelligence and competence.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

*checks notes* okay, gently caress, it looks like the one person left after that 20-person brawl is only good at stabbing people and isn't actually that competent at anything that isn't that. what next.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Wait, no, it turns out a couple of them were really good at...not doing anything useful and just hiding? gently caress!

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

bloom posted:

On rereads I always thought the idea of dark hounds running from the blight to Illian in TDR to be pretty silly.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

rndmnmbr posted:

And all of that because Basically Satan values being a selfish dickhead over things like intelligence and competence.

I picked up more that he feeds on treachery than victory. He's completely deceptive to everyone. The only reason Ishmael is the favorite is he guessed the DO's motives and took part in drilling the hole in the pattern in the first place.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Basileus777 posted:

On rereads I always thought the idea of dark hounds running from the blight to Illian in TDR to be pretty silly.

One of the brown sisters documents that there are packs of them running around outside of the blight. I think there were six packs that basically show up to take out high priority individuals when a grey man won't do.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

UltraRed posted:

The only reason Ishmael is the favorite is he guessed the DO's motives and took part in drilling the hole in the pattern in the first place.

Ishamael is the favorite because he's a nihilistic gently caress who wants to permanently destroy Creation to stop his own personal cycle of reincarnation, and Basically Satan wants pretty much the exact same thing for very similar reasons. The other Forsaken, well, all their glorious post-victory plans depend a little too much on Creation still being there.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Since Darkhounds are corrupted wolf brothers, perhaps they can navigate Tel'aran'rhiod?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

iirc they're said to not even remember that they were ever wolves, so that might prevent them from using the world of dreams? maybe?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'd hazard a guess you need a soul to be in TAR.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Did we ever compile a list of skippable chapters?
I'm at book five and these Nynaeve/Elayne chapters...

This isn't even the part where nothing happens, but they are just so unlikeable.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

rndmnmbr posted:

I have no idea whether it came from Jordan or if it was a Sanderson innovation but one of my favourite things is when Rand finally confronted the Dark One and it turns out that it’s vision wasn’t the classical hell on earth world most people including the forsaken had pictured but rather a world in which capitalism and libertarianism had been taken to their logical extremes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's really good that the Dark One is also known as the Father of Lies, and he turns out to have been lying to literally everyone.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I always liked the shadowspawn blacksmiths in the Blight just hanging out and doing their jobs. Creepiest for me were the soulless servants in the prologue of book 2.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

silvergoose posted:

Wait, no, it turns out a couple of them were really good at...not doing anything useful and just hiding? gently caress!

Ok, but what if one of them was so good at hiding she nicknamed herself "The Spider"? No poisoning or anything, but she has lots of plans she calls webs. They all suck too, like a spider sucks goo out of the fly. Also she holds grudges. Oh, and is a coward. Maybe giving herself a nickname was more of a red flag.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

enigma105 posted:

Ok, but what if one of them was so good at hiding she nicknamed herself "The Spider"? No poisoning or anything, but she has lots of plans she calls webs. They all suck too, like a spider sucks goo out of the fly. Also she holds grudges. Oh, and is a coward. Maybe giving herself a nickname was more of a red flag.

This made me remember a moment I love from the series: when Nynaeve is dueling with her and worrying "At any moment she could unleash her full power, I'll be dead or enslaved in no time, what will I do!?" but then realizes Moghedien already *is* putting all of her power into the fight and that her own ability with the Power is on-par with one of the Forsaken.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Semhirage is straight up the most classically evil of all the forsaken. She’s a high functioning sadistic sociopath that destroyed the Seanchan empire at its roots, on top of all the nasty poo poo she did on screen.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

She's also probably the most competent of all of them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Actually from memory she's involved in setting up the breaking of the Tower isn't she?
She tortures some info out of some Aes Sedai that I swear is used for that purpose, but I could be remembering wrong

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Actually from memory she's involved in setting up the breaking of the Tower isn't she?
She tortures some info out of some Aes Sedai that I swear is used for that purpose, but I could be remembering wrong

Yes. She tortures an Aes Sedai for information, and learns that she had a serving maid or something named Halima. Aran'gar then poses as Halima to explain how she found Salidar ("her mistress told her") in order to infiltrate the rebel Aes Sedai. And since Semirhage had wrested out every little scrap of information from that Aes Sedai, it wasn't difficult for Aran'gar to convince the Salidar Aes Sedai that she really was Halima.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ConfusedUs posted:

Semhirage is straight up the most classically evil of all the forsaken. She’s a high functioning sadistic sociopath that destroyed the Seanchan empire at its roots, on top of all the nasty poo poo she did on screen.

In the Forsaken viewpoint chapters, Isshamael and Semhirage are the only forsaken that the other Forsaken are ever seen to fear.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

enigma105 posted:

She didn't, though.

Only Lanfear chose her name iirc, everyone else was given theirs by others.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

silvergoose posted:

She didn't, though.

Only Lanfear chose her name iirc, everyone else was given theirs by others.

Yup.

She got called Moghedien because that was a dangerous little spider that liked to hide, but she didn't choose it for herself.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

Yup.

She got called Moghedien because that was a dangerous little spider that liked to hide, but she didn't choose it for herself.

oh

ohhhhh

I'm on book 4 in my reread and just realized who Gyldin is. I was wracking my brain trying to remember who this sneaky rude person is.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

oh

ohhhhh

I'm on book 4 in my reread and just realized who Gyldin is. I was wracking my brain trying to remember who this sneaky rude person is.

Yep, yep. I mean it's revealed directly when she reveals herself in fires of heaven?, but yeah.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

DarkHorse posted:

Yup.

There's a cool Japanese cover featuring her being spidery.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

After she gets un shackled she does gently caress all. I wanted more changing people into dream animals forever and ripping dead hero’s into reality.

I know that Gaidal left like halfway through the books but I was for sure he would be confirmed to be Olver since Jordan put so much emphasis on him.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
I always assumed it was a soft confirmation that olver was gaidol and that they'd later fall in love and do adventures and everything after the last book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The Olver/Gaidal thing really feels like another one of those plot lines where RJ got spooked by so many people figuring it out and expecting it to happen that he pulled a switcheroo instead.