Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

at least they're recognizing "woman's work" as labor with real value. except they have to use terms for management instead of labor because of where its published...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Finally someone's out there speaking up for mpreg, it's about time

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

I'm p sure that antifa supersoldier is actually a dracula

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

Main Paineframe posted:

the part that makes me laugh is where they couch it all in business terms. you see, a stay-at-home mom is like a CEO and a family is like a company and

businesses are relatable to them

the household as a basic unit of society is so alien they cannot discuss it directly and must resort to metaphor

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:eyepop:

“Be your own stylist” was a slogan ahead of its time.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kraken! posted:

I'm p sure that antifa supersoldier is actually a dracula

That dracula is Karl Lagerfeld and he's dead now so either he's not a dracula or he got vampire hunter'd

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

I'm not nominally PRO police brutality but a horde of cops descending on this with batons in a steroid fueled rage would be peak 2020 lols

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Sylink posted:

But if we were making 150k/year it'd be a lot easier so that lady can deal with it.

yeah nobody ever gets divorced

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The picture is from here by the way, which has some other gigantic monuments to capitalism in it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/20/fashion/lagerfeld-sets-fashion-week.html

My favorite is the ENORMOUS jacket that you presumably must make sacrifices to Coco Chanel within

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
the flip side to the-household-is-a-business is the “this business is like a family” attitude, which is almost always associated with terrible working conditions that you’re expected to tolerate because you’re part of the family

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Couldn't decide if this fitted here or cyberpunk thread better so it goes in both.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Pirate Radar posted:

the flip side to the-household-is-a-business is the “this business is like a family” attitude, which is almost always associated with terrible working conditions that you’re expected to tolerate because you’re part of the family

"You would give anything for your family, wouldn't you? Do you LOVE and CARE about your family? Or are you a monster?"

Not on quite the same level but my family ran an independent retail pharmacy, and I've been on the roof of that building hundreds of times in my pre-teen years cleaning and replacing gutters, sealing up leaks, sweeping away rat/bird poo poo etc because there was no way the adults wanted to pay someone to do it, which ironically cost more money long term because we had no idea how to do the jobs properly.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Inceltown posted:

Couldn't decide if this fitted here or cyberpunk thread better so it goes in both.

did he get a tip

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Funion posted:

did he get a tip

in 2019, probably not

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Peanut President posted:

Thirty euros ain't "free' dumbass. Maybe take an english class there Hans?
you sound like a condecending person

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

TheMostFrench posted:

"You would give anything for your family, wouldn't you? Do you LOVE and CARE about your family? Or are you a monster?"

Not on quite the same level but my family ran an independent retail pharmacy, and I've been on the roof of that building hundreds of times in my pre-teen years cleaning and replacing gutters, sealing up leaks, sweeping away rat/bird poo poo etc because there was no way the adults wanted to pay someone to do it, which ironically cost more money long term because we had no idea how to do the jobs properly.

Most small businesses who pretend to be family will spend hundreds of dollars to save a buck

The one I work for refuses to spend a $1 monthly fee on server storage so gets me to spend hours (which I'm getting paid) fixing his local storage setup

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

businesses are relatable to them

the household as a basic unit of society is so alien they cannot discuss it directly and must resort to metaphor

leaving aside the fact that monetizing things often destroys previously un-monetized motivations and feelings, people actually do try to roughly quantify how much domestic labour is worth, and it's staggering. That article ultimately concludes that a stay-at-home mom, if paid at market rate for the various work she has to do in the household, would make on average $119,000 a year, and a working mom, if paid the same, would make on average an additional $70,000 a year.

businesses are relatable to them in a way that households aren't, and we shouldn't want to monetize households. On the other hand, pointing out the enormous amount of uncompensated domestic labour can be done in a way that sinks in for people who only understand things in monetary business terms

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

vyelkin posted:

leaving aside the fact that monetizing things often destroys previously un-monetized motivations and feelings, people actually do try to roughly quantify how much domestic labour is worth, and it's staggering. That article ultimately concludes that a stay-at-home mom, if paid at market rate for the various work she has to do in the household, would make on average $119,000 a year, and a working mom, if paid the same, would make on average an additional $70,000 a year.

businesses are relatable to them in a way that households aren't, and we shouldn't want to monetize households. On the other hand, pointing out the enormous amount of uncompensated domestic labour can be done in a way that sinks in for people who only understand things in monetary business terms

I've always been skeptical of this kinda "break down things a mom does and then compare it to worker salaries" thing. I mean I think the labor a stay at home mom does is absolutely worth a ton but I think this method of calculating it is weird and reductionist.

Also lmao at this quote

quote:

"I know what it’s like to finish the laundry and to look in the basket five minutes later and it’s full again. I know what it’s like to pull all the groceries in, and see the teenagers run through, and all of a sudden, all of the groceries you just bought a few hours ago are gone." – Ann Romney

I know what it's like when your laundry butler just finished the laundry but your kids fill it up again. I know what it's like when you go to your horse dancing event and they run out of caviar and you have to scream at the maitre d'

e:

quote:

Stay at home moms reported working a full hour per week more as a psychologist to their kids than last year. Could it be because of increased acts of violence at schools? Can we pin it on rampant bullying? Or is Miley Cyrus and twerking to blame yet again?

drat you, twerking Miley Cyrus! Your rear end is ruining our children's sanity :argh:

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Jun 17, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

I've always been skeptical of this kinda "break down things a mom does and then compare it to worker salaries" thing. I mean I think the labor a stay at home mom does is absolutely worth a ton but I think this method of calculating it is weird and reductionist.

Also lmao at this quote

I know what it's like when your laundry butler just finished the laundry but your kids fill it up again. I know what it's like when you go to your horse dancing event and they run out of caviar and you have to scream at the maitre d'

e:

drat you, twerking Miley Cyrus! Your rear end is ruining our children's sanity :argh:

why do you think it's reductionist? it's a good way of highlighting the degree to which our economy functions because of uncompensated labor emanating almost exclusively from women, and imo can be a good springboard into arguing those various other workers deserve a significant increase in compensation because of the social value they provide by offsetting the amount of uncompensated labor. i'm genuinely curious because even if it is overvaluing it or not an "accurate" calculation it's a strategically useful way to say "everyone deserves an income above the currently accepted threshold for a living wage, irrespective of formal employment status" which is usually difficult to quantify for skeptics

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Frog Act posted:

why do you think it's reductionist? it's a good way of highlighting the degree to which our economy functions because of uncompensated labor emanating almost exclusively from women, and imo can be a good springboard into arguing those various other workers deserve a significant increase in compensation because of the social value they provide by offsetting the amount of uncompensated labor. i'm genuinely curious because even if it is overvaluing it or not an "accurate" calculation it's a strategically useful way to say "everyone deserves an income above the currently accepted threshold for a living wage, irrespective of formal employment status" which is usually difficult to quantify for skeptics

I mean I think it's undervaluing it if anything, which is most of where my 'reductionist' stance comes from, but yeah. Another problem I have with it is how do you quantify the different jobs, like this article has "janitor" and "housekeeping" listed separately, then describe them as basically the same thing. It's also derived only from "small business" numbers, and implies that jobs like CEO's (let alone actual workers these days) get time-and-a-half for overtime. I just feel that it's probably low-balling it and comparing things in weird incompatible ways that leave the same bad taste in my mouth that the "run your family like a business!!" stuff does.

e: I guess my core problem is they're always written as some casual clickbaity mother's day article rather than an actual analysis, if someone knows of a more rigorous treatment of this I'd be interested and probably like it more :shrug:

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 18:47 on Jun 17, 2020

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Libertarian solution: bill your children for their upbringing. As soon as you turn 18, you owe your parent(s)/guardian(s)/orphanage 1.8 million dollars. And it'll be nondischargeable like student loans. And they can sell your debt to collection agencies for pennies on the dollar.

Oh god, I'm just giving them ideas at this point, aren't I?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why the hell is someone making 150k/year contributing only 3% lmfao

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Geshtal posted:

Libertarian solution: bill your children for their upbringing. As soon as you turn 18, you owe your parent(s)/guardian(s)/orphanage 1.8 million dollars. And it'll be nondischargeable like student loans. And they can sell your debt to collection agencies for pennies on the dollar.

this is old news for libertarians so no worries

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

HENRY syndrome

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Geshtal posted:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

well my first bit of financial advice is stop putting the baby in your dryer

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

well my first bit of financial advice is stop putting the baby in your dryer

Air drying makes them all wrinkly though

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

do people normally install a clothes dryer in the kitchen like that?

edit: apparently after some googling it's actually super common in a lot of countries

blatman has issued a correction as of 21:17 on Jun 17, 2020

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
our washer and drier are technically in a small cubby off the kitchen but there's no door and the tiling extends into it so :frog:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

blatman posted:

edit: apparently after some googling it's actually super common in a lot of countries

92% of clothes in europe are dried outdoors. no one has a dryer.

but yeah, the clothes washer is often in the kitchen or bathroom because plumbing.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Lol her husband won't even be able to retire on that

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

I mean I think it's undervaluing it if anything, which is most of where my 'reductionist' stance comes from, but yeah. Another problem I have with it is how do you quantify the different jobs, like this article has "janitor" and "housekeeping" listed separately, then describe them as basically the same thing. It's also derived only from "small business" numbers, and implies that jobs like CEO's (let alone actual workers these days) get time-and-a-half for overtime. I just feel that it's probably low-balling it and comparing things in weird incompatible ways that leave the same bad taste in my mouth that the "run your family like a business!!" stuff does.

e: I guess my core problem is they're always written as some casual clickbaity mother's day article rather than an actual analysis, if someone knows of a more rigorous treatment of this I'd be interested and probably like it more :shrug:

Maybe try this as a launching off point. As far as I remember, the paper is written as a "hey, this is a problem, here are some thoughts on how we should start working to solve it" manner: http://www.levyinstitute.org/pubs/wp_838.pdf

Your reading will be EXCLUSIVELY academic from here on out. Journalism is loving worthless if you want real answers to economic questions.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I make quite a bit less than 150k, I'm single, and I'm able to put away 20-25% into retirement each year

I mean yeah I have no children or student debt, but still only 3%?? jfc

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Putting dollar values on unpaid reproductive labour is a good thing for a variety of reasons but mostly because it highlights the fact that were the labour actually compensated fairly at a market rate it would collapse the entire system of capitalism. The wages for house work movement is one of the best things to come out of neomarxism imo

It also destroys the idea that people are only motivated by profit because conservative estimates put the value of unpaid labour at somewhere around 1/4 to 1/3 of GDP.

Basically please petition your govts to carry out time use surveys, very few actually do.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

lmao if you retire and don't just die in the office

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Ensign Expendable posted:

lmao if you retire and don't just die in the office

gonna hide my corpse in the vent like a senior year prank

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

actionjackson posted:

highly compensated employees can only contribute around the same amount as the average employee, which is generally very low.

https://smartasset.com/retirement/401k-highly-compensated-employee

that said he should be maxing out other things like IRAs

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Giga Gaia posted:

gonna hide my corpse in the vent like a senior year prank

it's like a number being retired, except instead of a jersey, they just hang you from the rafters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

blatman posted:

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/yes-toilet-kitchen/