Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
> What did you do to your ride today?

Filled it up for the first time since March 1st. I've been on a fairly strict lockdown going out twice a week for essentials (ok cigarettes and liquor) and have been avoiding the bikes because I don't want to end up in a covid vector hospital or take up a bed for somebody that needs it. I'm finally getting back on the horse and burned a couple hundred miles worth in the FZ1 over the past couple weeks. Glad, because I was getting worried about the ethanol crap gas rotting in the tank. The only pure gas station near me shut down a couple of months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

Not a big fan of the Airtech race tail - it's pretty blocky, plus you'll have to hack into it for lights, etc. This one looks pretty decent: https://www.motoforzafairings.com/seat-closed-with-cut-out-for-oem-tail-light-honda-nt-650-hawk-gt-bros-1988-1993, but with any of these race tails you'll be stuck with a bare foam pad for a seat.

Are there any other 250 2-stroke bikes like the RS 250 that would look decent with a narrower tank and tire that you might be able to crib from?

Link broken I assume you mean this one: https://www.motoforzafairings.com/seat-closed-with-cut-out-for-oem-tail-light-honda-nt-650-hawk-gt-bros-1988-1993

I like that tail too but yup, any race tail is going to be a hard foam seat unless I make a custom seat pan and have it upholstered. You can get close to this same look with a stock seat and cowl that covers the passenger. This would by far be the most comfortable option. My Duc tail has a Sargent seat but eeeeeehhhh it still sucks.

My subframe will fit any aftermarket tail since it was hacked to poo poo by the previous owner and then beaten into some semblance of order by me. The main reason I like the Airtech tail is this is a 90's race replica bike of sorts. It's almost purely a vanity project that I'll take on short trips in the country because the handling is fantastic. For everything else I've got the WR and VFR.

*edit*

This is a custom Cagiva Mito tail from Germany. There's a guy there that will make me a CF one for $600(!). Or, I could take a fiberglass Mito tail and do it myself.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 14, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BROS :hfive: is maybe the most perfect and also hilarious motorcycle model name

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I decided to swap out the stock windscreen for my bike for a double bubble one I ordered a while back. Obviously I didn't look at the service manual for such a small task, for my previous bikes it was just a case of unbolt the old /rebolt with the new one. It was impossible to get the new screen back in because the rubber nut things couldn't fit in between the metal supports and stay located in the holes in the screen. I then managed to ping one of the rubber nuts off somewhere and as this was in my parking space halfway up a mountain there's a decent chance it pinged over the edge and down the mountain side.

The original screen is now back on with 2/4 retaining bolts. Looking at the service manual you are supposed to take off the wing mirrors first, which will presumably be a huge pain given the indicators are built into them. Goddammit. Also I need a new rubber nut thing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Cable repair is absolutely not a roadside job and I can see why goons recommend having a second complete clutch cable sealed up alongside the main one for touring so you can just swap the ends out in ~5 minutes.

If there's an easier and cleaner way of cutting cables than sweating over a set of pliers for hours I'd love to know it.

On the plus side I have a much better understanding of how clutch cables work now, and mine is properly adjusted on purpose for the first time ever instead of just accidentally being in mostly the right place as a result of blindly fiddling with the adjuster :toot:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I put some aftermarket highway pegs on the Dadhawk and took it out to Creede, CO for a day.

I stayed masked up, don't @ me.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
drat, time flies. Seems like you just bought that a couple months ago.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Just checked my logs, bought it one year / 12k miles ago. Still ugly and a bit beat up but it’s really grown on me.

Today I sprayed out and relubed the turn signal switch, surprising difference.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That thing looks better than it has any business looking.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Put a microscopic scratch in the paint when a wrench slipped out of my hands and skidded against the plastic :cool:

Literally no one will notice the scratch, but it will drive me insane for the lifetime of the bike, now.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Put a microscopic scratch in the paint when a wrench slipped out of my hands and skidded against the plastic :cool:

Literally no one will notice the scratch, but it will drive me insane for the lifetime of the bike, now.

lol I caught a stick ALMOST to the balls, but instead poked a real nice hole in my seat close to where it mounts at the tank

you'd never see it unless you pulled the seat, but just knowing it was there bothered me so much that I unstapled and reaffixed the seat cover just so I could not have a non-visible hole in it

long story short: I feel ya

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My first instinct was to go see how much a replacement fairing was on partzilla.

Needless to say the scratch stays :q:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I looked at the battery date code. I swear I bought a new battery for this thing when I bought it, but that must've been the previous bike. Thought I'd check anyway.

Then I ordered a new battery before I closed the garage.

May 2005

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Same month as the rear tire on the dadhawk when I got it last year. :hfive:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Was Sunday, really, but I’ve been insanely swamped at work so it counts: went trail riding with my son on the two dual sports. He’d never ridden a big bike on the trails so he was being very cautious. No bike drops or issues of any sort, but we consciously stayed out of deep mud or very loose big rocky areas. He rode the DR and I stayed on the KLX.

We got about two hours’ ride in and then decided to leave because there were so many people at the park that it was getting hard to see in the main areas due to the dust.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I already have all my fairings off to change a coolant hose, so now I have to decide do I change the oil because it will only take a second, or leave it because it's only ~350 miles old. I feel like it's worth it just because I hate dealing with the rivet screws so much, they're such a lovely design.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If you feel like throwing away money, go for it

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

yeah put your fairings on the oils fine

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I bought some "KTM Military" folding mirrors for my DRZ. They look better than stock, and vibrate way less than the Chinese Aprilia knock offs I had before.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I started the disassembly to do the clutch, pressure plate, and rear main seal on my buddy's K1200RS. I just don't understand why anyone would want to own this bike or pay someone to do this job.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

I bought some "KTM Military" folding mirrors for my DRZ. They look better than stock, and vibrate way less than the Chinese Aprilia knock offs I had before.

Just giggling at the concept.

They can invade France in half the time but have to stop halfway for a rebuild.

World's fastest fighter jet, one way trips only.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Went to fire up on Monday and found that both the fuel petcocks had perished. Ordered some new ones and fitted them today.

Fired up first kick! M.unit working beautifully, FCR carburettor feels so smooth and dialled in, charging circuit appears to be operating great.

This 20 year old pain in the rear end has been such an anxious project I actually felt a bit emotional when it all worked. Imposter syndrome and past failures took a lot of the fun out of rebuilding.

The last remaining items on the list are to get the back up key barrel secured somewhere (the keyless is neat .. when it works) and to fit a round Baja-style headlight (now the generator circuit won't fry them) and it's off to be MOT'd and back on the trails.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Just giggling at the concept.

They can invade France in half the time but have to stop halfway for a rebuild.

World's fastest fighter jet, one way trips only.

In reality, they're made by FAR in Italy, which I think adds to this joke.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

If you feel like throwing away money, go for it

GriszledMelkaba posted:

yeah put your fairings on the oils fine

I live my life 1/4 mile at a time, so I had to go for it. It was my first time using the Fumoto valve I installed last time, I have to admit it makes it pretty easy.

(I realized I forgot to write down the mileage for my last oil change and I had done more riding than I thought, so I just went for it. Based on how much I got out I'd say it was ~700 miles)

((also have a baby on the way in two weeks so it seemed like it was worth the $30 in oil))

*edit* replaced most of the screw in rivets with these, I think it will make the whole fairing situation a lot easier in the future

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 19, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Couldn't a stick or a rock or something accidentally hitting the lever of the Fumoto valve make your bike piss oil all over the place and you wouldn't notice it till your bike seized up mid-ride?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Steakandchips posted:

Couldn't a stick or a rock or something accidentally hitting the lever of the Fumoto valve make your bike piss oil all over the place and you wouldn't notice it till your bike seized up mid-ride?

It has a safety mechanism you have to override to actually open the valve. Does it make a rock opening the valve impossible? No, but chances are a random rock would be ripping off the valve at that point, and you have bigger issues.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I bough the EZ Oil Drain variant because it was easier to get locally than the Fumoto, and while it doesn’t come with the plastic clip I just invested in a little box of assorted hose clamp spring clips. One of them fits the valve head perfectly does the trick to keep the valve closed. Even when I actually put effort into opening it. If I’m super paranoid about the hose clamp falling off I guess I could wire it in place or something but I really think that’s overdoing it. EZ Oil Drain themselves recommended the hose clamp method for off-road use etc., where that makes sense so I expect my 4-6 hours a week on the bike to get coffee and do city joyrides won’t really stress the valve.

But of course it’s a moot point since I forgot to take it with me when I had the dealer do the initial service so I’ll just install it next time it’s time to do my oil.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Plus on my bike the lower fairings cover the valve, in addition to the plastic clip AND you have to use force against spring tension to move the valve lever down and to the side. I put the chances of something taking care of all that at 0%, it's more likely something pokes a hole in the oil filter and the oil drains out that way

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'd put higher chances on something shearing the whole valve off before accidentally opening it by hitting the lever.

And I mean if something is shearing parts down there then I'm probably in trouble whether or not my rear tire is about to get a luxurious oil coating.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wonder why the boy’s RT100 stopped running mid-lap?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Wonder why the boy’s RT100 stopped running mid-lap?

Get a little aggressive with the oil in your premix?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks like a typical dad spark plug ie it still works so I'm damned if I'm buying a new one for nothing :argh:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Shelvocke posted:

Went to fire up on Monday and found that both the fuel petcocks had perished. Ordered some new ones and fitted them today.

Fired up first kick! M.unit working beautifully, FCR carburettor feels so smooth and dialled in, charging circuit appears to be operating great.

This 20 year old pain in the rear end has been such an anxious project I actually felt a bit emotional when it all worked. Imposter syndrome and past failures took a lot of the fun out of rebuilding.

The last remaining items on the list are to get the back up key barrel secured somewhere (the keyless is neat .. when it works) and to fit a round Baja-style headlight (now the generator circuit won't fry them) and it's off to be MOT'd and back on the trails.

My XRR is so much easier to start with the FCR40MX. It went from being a bastard to first kick every time.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Jazzzzz posted:

Get a little aggressive with the oil in your premix?
Oil injection still functional...

Slavvy posted:

That looks like a typical dad spark plug ie it still works so I'm damned if I'm buying a new one for nothing :argh:

This is the first time we changed it since we bought it. Oops. The plug that was in there was an old NGK non-resistor plug so who knows how long it’d been in there?

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 20, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Oil injection still functional...

This is the first time we changed it since we bought it. Oops. The plug that was in there was an old NGK non-resistor plug so who knows how long it’d been in there?

Ah just put the blowtorch on it and regap it, it’ll be fine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Blowtorch? As in gas?? What do you think I'm made of money get the drat wire brush lad.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Yerok posted:

My XRR is so much easier to start with the FCR40MX. It went from being a bastard to first kick every time.

Did you decide to keep it?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lubed the chain.

I mean, it’s not sexy but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Shelvocke posted:

Did you decide to keep it?

Haven't been able to sell it yet, but we'll see, maybe it'll just end up being a keeper. Might do some odds and ends and detailing/maintenance stuff I would have done anyway, get some cheap UFO plastics to make it look all shiny and then relist it.

I think once I get a response from someone that isn't just a tire kicker and they show up to actually test ride the bike they'll want it. It's amazing how fun it is to ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Speaking of lube...

My bike’s 25 years old now and getting a bit crusty. Last week I lubed the turn signal switch by packing the mechanism with dielectric grease and it made such a difference in improving the feel and working of it that I went over the bike trying everything else I could think of.

• poly grease on the throttle tube
  • white lithium in the lever pivots
  • greased the throttle cables
  • white lithium in all 4 peg pivots
  • 3-in-1 in the sidestand pivot
  • white lithium on the sidestand spring

Yes it is ridiculous to grease your sidestand.

Yes you will notice the difference.