Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

When he did a big twitter thread about how he was abused by his ex, he was gaslighting her; just based off what comrades in NOVA had told me, but they can't do much since he actually has political power and a big twitter following.

This wasn't just a twitter thread, there was an order of protection filed, it was reported on by several local media outlets and the Washington Post. If you are going to accuse a victim of abuse with a paper trail backing them up you should really do more than some people in the area told you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Wow this starr thing is getting really ugly holy gently caress

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

stab posted:

Wow this starr thing is getting really ugly holy gently caress

Yeah his last few tweets accusing her of harassment and leaking his nudes but that he's still sorry for the hurt he caused are definitely not a promising strategy. I'll link to the last tweet in the thread so anyone who wants to read the rest can do so if they want, given the material.

https://twitter.com/TheProductDS/status/1273370546227609600

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Post the best dirt here

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Starr promoted his excuse tweet which is at best weird as hell.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Why go through the 5 stages when you can do them all at once

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Holy poo poo dude just log off already

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

the escape goat posted:

on a totally different note, does anyone have a link to the joshi who was vacuuming a hardwood floor in her full gear?

I don’t have the link but I think it was Mayu Iwatani doing that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Real strong "dig up, stupid" energy from those.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

purkey posted:

Is there a proper way to apologize for this kind of poo poo, i've never seen anyone do it in a way that came across to me as right and i've never seen anyone's apologies be accepted. I think what a lot of people who are caught abusing their power don't realize is that all that is going to bring any good to the situation is abdicating that power completely, and even then you're not going to be forgiven but I mean you did something awful no one has to forgive you. I feel like people caught in these situations do whatever they can to hold on to whatever position they have when it's a lost cause and just makes the situation worse.

I also don't believe in prison, or anything like that but do believe anyone can be made to be a better person. It's just once you gently caress up like this you don't get to be a public figure anymore, at least not one that has the people on your side.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

purkey posted:

How do you see that? For some reason I'm not able to (because I am bad at the internets you see)

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

stab posted:

How do you see that? For some reason I'm not able to (because I am bad at the internets you see)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

Is there a proper way to apologize for this kind of poo poo, i've never seen anyone do it in a way that came across to me as right and i've never seen anyone's apologies be accepted. I think what a lot of people who are caught abusing their power don't realize is that all that is going to bring any good to the situation is abdicating that power completely, and even then you're not going to be forgiven but I mean you did something awful no one has to forgive you. I feel like people caught in these situations do whatever they can to hold on to whatever position they have when it's a lost cause and just makes the situation worse.

I also don't believe in prison, or anything like that but do believe anyone can be made to be a better person. It's just once you gently caress up like this you don't get to be a public figure anymore, at least not one that has the people on your side.

You take ownership of the bad things you do, you walk away for a bit, and you perform actions that show you've changed. I think a big problem is that a lot of people when they gently caress up like this try to solve it. You can't solve it. This is the sort of thing that doesn't get fixed, you made a choice and now you're living with that forever and you need to learn to live with it with grace if you're going to make amends. You need to accept that you're the bad guy in someone's, probably a lot of people's, story and you're not going to be able to change that and they're not wrong for hating you.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The most Gabe thing ever is going to happen within the next 24 hours, where he could easily shut up and get whatever gross satisfaction he wants out of the cancellation of David Starr, but instead he will write bunch of aggressive tweets and then like 8 women will call out Gabe for being as bad or worse than Starr.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Holy loving poo poo log off and stop digging up stupid

(Edit: not you purkey, you're cool)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eat My Fuc posted:

Eat my fuc

... with a very good post.

Hell I even think there is another side, if there is real reflection and growth. People do bad things but there is potential for redemption, in a long enough time window.

In the meantime I hope someone else can pick up Starr’s work as a labour organizer, because he’s poisoned it and it’s still desperately needed.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

You take ownership of the bad things you do, you walk away for a bit, and you perform actions that show you've changed. I think a big problem is that a lot of people when they gently caress up like this try to solve it. You can't solve it. This is the sort of thing that doesn't get fixed, you made a choice and now you're living with that forever and you need to learn to live with it with grace if you're going to make amends. You need to accept that you're the bad guy in someone's, probably a lot of people's, story and you're not going to be able to change that and they're not wrong for hating you.

The way he's describing himself and his actions is a really good example of having to take ownership because he'll say he's a dickhead, he's a oval office, he was "emotionally immature", and it's a lot easier to call yourself those things than admit you're a rapist.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I honestly don't know who this guy is outside of hearing his name come up here before but god drat he appears to be a huge sack of poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

In the meantime I hope someone else can pick up Starr’s work as a labour organizer, because he’s poisoned it and it’s still desperately needed.

The Labour Party in the UK are absolutely hosed and lol@ a labour movement in America

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Welp, being pro-Union is good and more people should be calling out wrestling for not allowing or actively discouraging unionization, but yeah gently caress David Starr for being a piece of poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

You can promote other people's tweets but promoting his own apology seems like the kind of thing Starr would do. Still it's possible someone else decided to.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

MassRafTer posted:

You can promote other people's tweets but promoting his own apology seems like the kind of thing Starr would do. Still it's possible someone else decided to.

Fair enough, I did not know that.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Eat My Fuc posted:

Looking at the tweets she straight up told him "I don't want to do this" and then afterwards he exclaimed that "she liked it" when she said something afterwards. That's just straight up rape. There's no real way to go "well maybe he didn't really understand that she didn't consent." So instead of walls of text and harassment accusations, he could admit what he did and apologize for it directly. That would come with pretty significant personal risk but hey, he did it so he should take that risk I guess.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I regret logging on today.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Eat My Fuc posted:

I believe most forms of public apologies are PR disguised as repentance. You should apologise to the people you’ve hurt and work to be a better person but there’s no need to make a big song and dance about it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Why is everybody loving terrible? Is it because good people get their faces mangled with rubber bullets and bad ones get to be in every position of wealth and power that has ever existed? Is my problem that I haven't kicked enough puppies in my life?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

There's essentially no good way to apologize for something like this. If you're widely, credibly accused of things like this, you more or less just need to briefly recognize the wrong doing and then log off for as long as humanly possible. It is obvious Starr has done neither of these things.

The Vincels celebrating this like the Ewoks at the end of ROTJ are the literal scum of the earth and I hope they [REDACTED] [REDACTED] [PARODY] [REDACTED].

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Good to see some people making this David Starr thing about a personal beef with Bix btw. Real cool poo poo.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Why is everybody loving terrible? Is it because good people get their faces mangled with rubber bullets and bad ones get to be in every position of wealth and power that has ever existed? Is my problem that I haven't kicked enough puppies in my life?

I feel this hard. A sad thought exercise is to try and think of evil people who died young because of poo poo like cancer, accidents, misfortune, etc. It's really hard to do. Most evil people live incredibly long lives and get whatever they want.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

People are terrible because most morality boils down to 'what benefits me'.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

MassRafTer posted:

It's not that. When someone's tweet is promoted by a third party, the Promoted indicator says who did it.

And if that were the case, Twitter requires the original tweeter to sign off for a third party to promote their tweet, so in any case it'd require him to think that's a good idea.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Between the few literal saints in this world and a large swath of dogshit fascists who live to make the world a worse place exists not wholly good or bad people, just people. Some people do a lot of good for the world, but are also abusers. Some have great moral compasses with glaring, lovely blind spots. The good a person does doesn't inherently outweigh the bad, and vice versa. People, like Kevin Nash, are a Land Of Contrasts. My Wife.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
An incredibly frustrating pattern is people who don't want to be seen as the bad guys suddenly coming forward with personal trauma to justify their past or current attitudes. It's a selfish instinct and it keeps happening.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 18, 2020

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The only good way to really apologize for something like that--really, truly apologize--is to essentially enter with no self-defense and focus solely on owning how you hosed up, why you did it, what you did to the person/people involved, what you have done and are doing in response to them--which, in general, is going to be saying you're sorry and then leaving them the gently caress alone and making sure anyone in your following does the same--and what you're doing to make sure you never do it again. The moment any element of "but here's why I thought it was okay" or "but here's why it wasn't so bad" or ANY form of self-defensive ego gets involved, it makes it immediately clear that you're not actually sorry you did the thing, you're sorry you got caught doing the thing and you're sorry it's making YOU feel bad, and what matters to you is how you make yourself feel better.

Despite being a giant rear end in a top hat in virtually every other walk of life, Dan Harmon had one of the better cases of doing this. But it doesn't happen much, because very, very few people are actually sorry or actually care about changing. They just want to feel okay with being the way they are.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
You should definitely not preface your apology with “but first, a little backstory”.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seams posted:

You should definitely not preface your apology with “but first, a little backstory”.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I'll leave this here

quote:

There's a rumor going around the west coast scene that several women were being abused (some even underage) in the Las Vegas scene but is being kept on the low. One of the names I heard is one of the most vocal "woke" guys who kept leading social media crusades against people who get outed as (or he perceives to be) predators, racists, bigots, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You wanna source that?